Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336913 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2975 on: January 25, 2022, 05:52:50 AM »
*xennial who loves ordering food delivery quickly exits*

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2976 on: January 25, 2022, 06:46:04 AM »
I thought the post was entertaining.....

Not going to lie; other than the DoorDash and the Meat Loaf thing (I never saw him live, so there's that), I'm kinda with Tim on all of those.  Certainly with the "I mock everything in my head" line.  Holy shit, I do that constantly.   My wife and I even have a sort of joke/signal; we'll watch something on TV and it will be something I've mocked before and I just have to look at her.   It's amazing to me how many metaphorical deep breaths I have to take in a given day.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: January 25, 2022, 01:21:28 PM »
I thought the post was entertaining.....

Not going to lie; other than the DoorDash and the Meat Loaf thing (I never saw him live, so there's that), I'm kinda with Tim on all of those.  Certainly with the "I mock everything in my head" line.  Holy shit, I do that constantly.   My wife and I even have a sort of joke/signal; we'll watch something on TV and it will be something I've mocked before and I just have to look at her.   It's amazing to me how many metaphorical deep breaths I have to take in a given day.

Oh yeah, I relate too, I'm a total asshole.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: January 25, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
From all my delivery experiences, I can't recall ever getting cold food TBH.  Maybe not hot out of the oven hot, but hot enough to not need to be reheated. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: January 25, 2022, 04:19:07 PM »
Ya, I use DoorDash a few time a month when I'm stranded at the office with no one else around (gotta keep the doors open for drop by customers and deliveries). Not once have I had cold food. It's literally delivered within minutes of pickup at the restaurant. The "supposing" (different than reality) going on in this thread is pretty "old as mold club" though, and I find it amusing.

If it's new fangled, it's bad! :getoffmylawn:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2980 on: January 25, 2022, 04:51:20 PM »
Totally agree.  I live in an area covered by both DoorDash and GrubHub, and a lot of places around here have their own delivery.  I thinks it's great.  I've gone several days in a row without ever leaving the house, probably a week or more a few times since Covid.  The less I have to leave the house and interact with other people, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Would I rather be sitting in an actual restaurant, being served and waited on, especially for the money I'm paying?  Maybe.  But that's not reality right now.  Instead, I'll pay to have them bring it to me.  The delivery charges come out to about the same as I'd tip a decent server, so it's all the same, and there's also a nice upside to sitting on my butt in front of the TV eating a good meal delivered to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2981 on: January 25, 2022, 04:59:34 PM »
O, if Covid is keeping you in, then fine. You do what you have to do. I wouldn't wish you risking going out and well, a man's gotta eat.

P, That's great that you've had good experiences. I'm sure you're in a nice area where all things are upgraded. Food, delivery personnel.

I've seen doordash guys around here. I've had Instacart people fucking stoned out of their gourd ask me where fucking sugar is.

Like I said, it's a me problem. I would never use those services freely. If there was no other option, then that'd be different, and I wouldn't want anyone under unfortunate circumstances to be offended at my view on this.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2982 on: January 25, 2022, 05:36:41 PM »
Tim, that's a weird thing to be hung up on.  I don't use it but local restaurants do deliver and I've done that one in a millenia.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: January 25, 2022, 05:46:17 PM »
If I had a bunch of bad experiences with delivery, I'd probably be a bit anti it as well, but just hasn't been the case.  I've had some slow deliveries or missing/wrong items before, but that's few and far between.  The same bad service can happen sitting at a restaurant.  Having said that, I'm really not a big delivery or take out guy.  Id rather cook my meal or eat out.  But sometimes, it's just what I want or the situation demands.  When I was in Amsterdam last month, everything was locked down so you couldn't dine in, had to get take out or delivery for every meal.  The delivery service, similar to ubereats or doordash, worked really well.  While I couldn't track the delivery person, they were almost always exactly on the dot with timing and even when I missed one delivery (the hotel received it) it was still hot after 30 minutes of it sitting on a counter.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2984 on: January 26, 2022, 12:59:15 PM »
Getting back to the 'old' of this thread, I had my physical today. I was fearing the finger and got something worse, a referral to get the anal probe. Getting old sucks!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: January 26, 2022, 01:01:48 PM »
Getting back to the 'old' of this thread, I had my physical today. I was fearing the finger and got something worse, a referral to get the anal probe. Getting old sucks!

:o
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2986 on: January 27, 2022, 06:06:49 PM »
I won't use Door Dash or Grubhub for the same reason Tim eluded to, and then some. Not only do restaurants lose money on those sales, they also get into bad situations when they first sign up that are very difficult to get out of. Not only does Grubhub take a percentage of the item cost, they also take marketing costs. They use those marketing costs to create their own websites for the business that will compete with the business's own, thus taking even more of their customers. Restaurants essentially pay for their own competition. And when those shadow websites get new customers they charge the restaurant an even higher percentage on the basis of "look, we're getting you new customers!" They're really pretty evil and predatory.

And if that's not enough, when I've compared prices I've often found that Grubhub charges more than the restaurant itself, and then pays the restaurant less. If something is $10, GH might charge $11.5 and pay the restaurant $8. Yeah, I don't like paying ball.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2987 on: January 27, 2022, 08:07:49 PM »
If the contracts are set up as you say, the restaurants will lose money with every sale.  And if that's the case, then why do they enter into these agreements in the first place?

Presumably, this is the business model as I understand it:  The restaurants don't have their own delivery service.  They contract with DD or GH to deliver the food for them.  DD/GH take a cut, the restaurants pay that cut, which cuts into their profits, but they still make money.  The lower profit margin is countered by the additional sales.  Everyone profits.

If that's not the case and DD/GH are taking so much that the restaurants actually lose money with each sale, then what is their incentive to do it in the first place?  You don't enter a contract where you lose money with every transaction.  And basically every major restaurant around here does it, and most minor ones as well.  Is it because of the perception that if they don't play the game, that they'll lose in the "big picture"?  That still doesn't make sense.  If every restaurant loses money with each sale that's delivered by a third party, they'd all be out of business.  And if it's truly a matter of the contracts being hard to get out of, are you saying that nobody's lawyers read any of this before signing up, and thousands of business are just plain stupid?

I'm just not convinced.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: January 28, 2022, 05:38:20 AM »
I'm not buying it either. Predatory business practices require one party to be in a dominant position. DoorDash having leverage over Arby's, Wendy's, or fucking McDonalds? It's hard to imagine.

No matter how much Domino's likes to push the narrative of evil delivery company's, I'd like to see proof. They remind me of Blockbuster Video complaining about Netflix "predatory business model."

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2989 on: January 28, 2022, 08:36:32 AM »
And if that's not enough, when I've compared prices I've often found that Grubhub charges more than the restaurant itself, and then pays the restaurant less. If something is $10, GH might charge $11.5 and pay the restaurant $8. Yeah, I don't like paying ball.

At the end of the day, this is why I mostly don't use the delivery services.  It's just ends up being significantly more expensive.  I basically only use it when I'm intoxicated and have no food at home.  For example, my one friend spent $30 on taco bell for himself one night when he shared his receipt with us.  And I'm just like uhhh I don't think I could ever, even if drunk, say that spending $30 on a single taco bell meal is ever worth it. 

As for making money off the restaurants, Im sure they do but my guess is it's not enough to make the restaurants not want to be working with them.  My local pizzeria gives you a 10% discount when you order delivery directly from them and not use a service so to me, that means there is some incentive from the business to not use the service... but I think this may be an exception as that pizzeria is so damn good and popular that they can staff a crew of delivery drivers, most places aren't willing to do that so using a service while not as profitable as someone ordering directly is still worth the expense I'd imagine.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2990 on: January 28, 2022, 08:52:56 AM »
I'm with Bob on this.  Look, Dominos (and other restaurants that routinely deliver, eg, Chinese) hire and cover the expenses of their own staff to perform deliveries.  The bear the cost.  Other restaurants (whether chains, franchises, or local mom/pop places) outsource that because it they don't have the volume of deliveries that would warrant their own full-time staff.  If they were literally losing money with every order, they wouldn't outsource that service.  Sure, they're making less money than in-house service and/or pickup, but so is Dominos or other restaurants that staff their own delivery employees.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2991 on: January 28, 2022, 10:55:13 AM »
I'm not buying it either. Predatory business practices require one party to be in a dominant position. DoorDash having leverage over Arby's, Wendy's, or fucking McDonalds? It's hard to imagine.

I don't know the reality of it, but my guess is that the major chains don't contract with any of these services.  At all.  Rather, someone from the services simply goes to the local Wendy's in the McBox and orders the food and delivers it.  There's no business relationship between the service and the restaurant (franchisor or franchisee), and the restaurant sells the same food, at the same prices, and with the same profit margins as it would if the customer walked in the store and bought it him or herself.  In other words, the fact that the sale is being made to a middle man and not directly to the customer is of no consequence to the restaurant.

I've noticed that, on one of the services, the prices are a good 20-25% higher than if I walked into the store.  In other words, if Carl's Jr. is selling a Western Bacon Cheeseburger combo for $10, the service is charging the customer $12.50, along with its various service fees.  It's like when someone sells some sort of super popular toy for $30 and someone buys up the entire inventory and then turns around and sells the toys on the secondary market for a profit.

However, it's a different story with smaller chains and mom & pop restaurants.  My kids worked for a small Asian grill, and my daughter now works for a chain called Rubio's.  Both of them had a contract with at least one of the delivery services, and orders get transmitted directly to the restaurant (as opposed to what likely happens at the larger chains).  Who knows what those contracts say, and, let's face it, small business owners are typically not very business savvy and, like most folks, they probably don't read the contracts before signing.  It's a dumb way to do business and, if someone goes out of business because he/she entered into a bad contract because he/she didn't read or understand the contract, then I don't have a ton of sympathy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2992 on: January 28, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »
Lots of people, including business owners, get into contracts that don't work out the way they'd hoped. If we want to say fuck'em, it's their own fault for making a dumb decision then I suppose that's fine. I'd just rather not support the people ripping them off. As has been said, some businesses manage to do alright, and plenty don't. But what I described is just one of the problematic practices. There are a gazillion articles online about various predatory practices.

Website listings for places it doesn't contract with

Charging fees for phone calls that don't result in orders

Cybersquatting

For my part, the two things that have convinced me is talking to a woman from a Chinese restaurant (now closed) who was getting killed by it, and the fact that even Texas is passing a law to reign these third party apps in. Texas, where the public is little more than coal to be burned by big business.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2993 on: January 28, 2022, 01:02:11 PM »
I won't use Door Dash or Grubhub for the same reason Tim eluded to, and then some. Not only do restaurants lose money on those sales, they also get into bad situations when they first sign up that are very difficult to get out of. Not only does Grubhub take a percentage of the item cost, they also take marketing costs. They use those marketing costs to create their own websites for the business that will compete with the business's own, thus taking even more of their customers. Restaurants essentially pay for their own competition. And when those shadow websites get new customers they charge the restaurant an even higher percentage on the basis of "look, we're getting you new customers!" They're really pretty evil and predatory.

So.... there's a Domino's commercial up here that is pimping something I'm not sure what, but the upshot is that they're trying to undercut DoorDash/GrubHub.  And one of the testimonials is from a local restauranteur who says "the money they make is directly out of our pocket", and I was like "that's a lie".  But it sounds like it isn't.   I know that about a year ago, we had a craving for McDonald's (more correctly, my wife craved one of their shakes) so we ordered through DoorDash.   Her and I - essentially two Quarter Pounder meals - came to some ridiculous number like $45, with the fees and what not.  I drove there and got it for like $16 (I had a coupon).   I had always thought the RESTAURANTS were charging more for the food through a delivery service (I can articulate a couple reasons why), but it sounds like that's not true; there's that margin AND they are paying the restaurant less?  That's bullshit. 

Where I am now I don't use DD or GH much if at all.  I have two restaurants near me that deliver themselves, old school, and there's about four or five other restaurants that are a short drive and I don't mind.  I'm not THAT lazy.  Yet.

I do use Instacart for my parents, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2994 on: January 28, 2022, 01:08:28 PM »
I'm sure there's truth to that Dominos commercial but I also can't help but assume some of that is BS just because a huge corporation trying to help the little guys who are actual competitors seems a bit odd to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2995 on: January 28, 2022, 01:09:39 PM »

My parents used them when Covid started. Again, I don't begrudge anyone that uses these services out of need. I can respect that.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: January 28, 2022, 01:12:42 PM »

My parents used them when Covid started. Again, I don't begrudge anyone that uses these services out of need. I can respect that.

I've never used the service, but I think it's a great option for the people who need it.  I've seen quite a few young healthy people using it and I question why, but if they want to over pay for their laziness that's their decision.  I can think of tons of times I paid more for something because I didn't want to deal with the hassle.  Grocery shopping just hasn't come to that for me though.  I kind of like doing it actually. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2997 on: January 28, 2022, 01:13:07 PM »

So.... there's a Domino's commercial up here that is pimping something I'm not sure what, but the upshot is that they're trying to undercut DoorDash/GrubHub.  And one of the testimonials is from a local restauranteur who says "the money they make is directly out of our pocket", and I was like "that's a lie".  But it sounds like it isn't.   I know that about a year ago, we had a craving for McDonald's (more correctly, my wife craved one of their shakes) so we ordered through DoorDash.   Her and I - essentially two Quarter Pounder meals - came to some ridiculous number like $45, with the fees and what not.  I drove there and got it for like $16 (I had a coupon).   I had always thought the RESTAURANTS were charging more for the food through a delivery service (I can articulate a couple reasons why), but it sounds like that's not true; there's that margin AND they are paying the restaurant less?  That's bullshit. 

Where I am now I don't use DD or GH much if at all.  I have two restaurants near me that deliver themselves, old school, and there's about four or five other restaurants that are a short drive and I don't mind.  I'm not THAT lazy.  Yet.

Yeah, Domino's has been handing out gift cards to local mom and pops encouraging people to order directly. The cynical bastard in me thinks that there has to be something in it for them. I guess that Grubhub is a far greater threat to them than all of their local competitors combined, so they're looking to attack them instead. Plus, it's good press and (in my opinion) good community service.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2998 on: January 28, 2022, 01:19:17 PM »
I've been doing a bit more reading on the subject, and it looks like these apps are pretty terrible to their own employees, as well. Really, the only people winning are the shareholders. It's not the restaurants and it's not the drivers.

A while back I started a thread about tipping for takeout that really ruffled some feathers. Some do it all the time and others were disgusted by the very idea. I was specifically referring to proper restaurants, and not designed takeout establishments like pizza and Chinese. The rationale is that the waitstaff is having to assemble your order and make sure everything is correct, as well as ring it up, thus taking away time they could be spending with their in person (tipping) customers. Seems that delivery apps have compounded that problem massively. It's now not uncommon for a tipped employee to have to spend and hour doing nothing but assembling orders for takeout apps. The drivers are dicks to them because they're always in a hurry, and the 10% you tip from the app only goes to the driver (and probably a bit to corporate).

edit: And here's one I didn't know about. Yelp is getting kickbacks from Grubhub for replacing a restaurant's number with the Grubhub affiliated number, thus resulting in a GH referral fee when a customer tries to call the restaurant directly.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/wjwebw/yelp-is-sneakily-replacing-restaurants-phone-numbers-so-grubhub-can-take-a-cut
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:28:49 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2999 on: January 28, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »
It sounds like Grubhub is indeed involved in some pretty shitty practices.  No surprise there, I guess.  Fake websites and cybersquatting have been around for a while, and is usually shot down eventually, but I can see how it's a pain in the ass to the smaller business that don't have the resources to fight it.

But I still don't see how GH listing places that they don't have contracts with hurts the restaurants.  What it basically comes down to is someone placing an order through GH, GH in turn calling in an order to the restaurant, picking it up, and delivering it.  If the restaurant doesn't have a deal with GH, they're sure as hell not going to pay them anything.  An order was placed, they made it, and someone picked it up and paid for it.  If some third party actually placed the order and will be picking up, not the end consumer, how does that hurt the restaurant?  This all has apparently happened without the restaurant even being aware of it.  Shady, but I don't see how the restaurant is hurt by this.

The customer pays more, and that difference is covering GH's costs (and their profit), but obviously food delivered to you is going to cost more than if you just went there and picked it up.  There's a moral downside to the customer being completely unaware that GH isn't doing this above board, but if you're willing to pay $45 for for $16 worth of food, that's on you.  Now, GH taking the order (and the money) and never delivering anything is definitely a problem.  Pissed-off people calling the restaurant saying they never got their food, only to be told that the restaurant doesn't deliver, yeah that's an issue.  GH has crossed the line from being a delivery service to blatant fraud at that point.

The issue with bogus calls and commission fees baffles me.  Apparently GH is charging commission fees to the restaurants for calls that don't result in orders.  The article doesn't really explain that, at least not in a way that I can grok.  If the restaurant doesn't have an agreement with GH, why are they paying GH anything?  If they do have a deal with GH to pay a "commission" per phone call, then they're stupid.  Phone calls do not equal sales.  Paying a commission per sale is a standard, time-honored business practice.  The only deal that makes any sense would be to pay a fee per sale.  As I said earlier, that's how I'd imagined the business model works.  If that's not how it's implemented, and the restaurants have foolishly agreed to something else, yeah that sucks, but I wouldn't have signed the deal in the first place so yeah I'll call someone who did an idiot.  Are every one of these restaurant staffed by idiots?  You agreed to pay a fee per call?  Pay the fee.  It's what you agreed to.  Again, pretty shitty on GH's part, but if that's how the contract is structured, and both parties agreed to it, I don't see the problem.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3000 on: January 28, 2022, 02:39:16 PM »
For one thing, Grubhub often has its own website for businesses it's not contracted with. That's not a huge deal, I guess, but it's shady. Honestly, though, if people want to pay $45 for $20 worth of Taco Bell, bully for them, I guess. That's a whole different problem. My issue is really centered around the places they're contracted with.

There is something I'll throw out, though, related to your point. You know how you go to a Chinese restaurant and the little soy sauce bottle says "only replace with authentic Kikkoman?" Kikkoman's value is their brand, and if you cause people to think that Great Value soy sauce is what Kikkoman tastes like, you're potentially damaging that brand. "Well I'm never buying hat Kikkoman shit again!" Grubhub is charging quite a bit more for something that may well be inferior because it took a while to get there, without the restaurant's consent. Haven't we all said "it was alright, but there are better options for $15" before? That lasagna might have been excellent fresh, and great for the $10 it should have cost.

And again, there's the whole tipping thing, which harms the waitstaff separately from the owner.

The issue with bogus calls and commission fees baffles me.  Apparently GH is charging commission fees to the restaurants for calls that don't result in orders.  The article doesn't really explain that, at least not in a way that I can grok.  If the restaurant doesn't have an agreement with GH, why are they paying GH anything?  If they do have a deal with GH to pay a "commission" per phone call, then they're stupid.  Phone calls do not equal sales.  Paying a commission per sale is a standard, time-honored business practice.  The only deal that makes any sense would be to pay a fee per sale.  As I said earlier, that's how I'd imagined the business model works.  If that's not how it's implemented, and the restaurants have foolishly agreed to something else, yeah that sucks, but I wouldn't have signed the deal in the first place so yeah I'll call someone who did an idiot.  Are every one of these restaurant staffed by idiots?  You agreed to pay a fee per call?  Pay the fee.  It's what you agreed to.  Again, pretty shitty on GH's part, but if that's how the contract is structured, and both parties agreed to it, I don't see the problem.
Figuring out who we can cannot rip off due to our perception of their intelligence is a fascinating thing to me. Seriously. I'd agree with you that a small business owner, in this case a restaurateur, should have a lawyer read the fine print, along with all of the weekly changes to the TOS that they'll get in the mail. I'm not suggesting that the restaurants are blameless in this. I'm just of the opinion that caveat emptor should not be the standard for how we evaluate potential wrongs. We see this sort of thing all the time, where the same sort of transaction may be a ripoff or a fair trade based on what we think of the aggrieved. Like I said, it fascinates me.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3001 on: January 28, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »
I've been doing a bit more reading on the subject, and it looks like these apps are pretty terrible to their own employees, as well. Really, the only people winning are the shareholders. It's not the restaurants and it's not the drivers.

Well, the customers seem to like it so I guess they are "winning" too and that's kind of what it comes down to at the end of the day.  This is an emerging market and it's disrupting some businesses, but if the general population enjoys this service, it's not going to go anywhere.  As to the company treating their employees like shit, that sucks and maybe is another reason not to use the service but the vast majority of people aren't going to consider that when they are sitting on their couch wanting food without moving. I still think it comes down to laziness for most people, and I must admit I've fallen into that category myself.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3002 on: January 28, 2022, 02:46:53 PM »
I've never used any food delivery service, and I'll never use one. I don't see anything regulating food safety between when it leaves my highly trained hands and when it arrives at your door. Fuck that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3003 on: January 28, 2022, 03:41:23 PM »
Re: Kikkoman's and branding:  I was going to include a section on branding and brand dilution, but my reply was up to four paragraphs already, so I dropped it.  But I see the point.  Someone ordered food from somewhere, it took forever, and it was all soggy and gross by time it arrived.  I can see that reflecting badly on the restaurant, and the restaurant may have no idea the GH/DD was even involved.  They made an order, and someone picked it up.  But GrubHub and DoorDash actually compete around here; it's in everyone's best interest that the food arrive quickly and still hot.  And I've very rarely had any issues with delivery time, and never have gotten cold food.  Maybe not quite as steaming hot as it was when it left the restaurant, but still warm if not hot, and definitely still palatable.

RJ, I get your point about there being no real oversight on the delivery itself.  I suppose it's possible that someone could intentionally mess with the food.  But again, these places are doing it to make money.  I don't see any upside to someone fucking with the food.  We order delivery probably three or four times a month, and as I said, rarely have any issue at all with the delivery itself.  I see it as not much different from pizza places sticking their food in a box, then into an insulated bag, then into the back seat of someone's car.  Not really regulated, but acceptable since the dawn of pizza delivery.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3004 on: January 28, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »
I've never used any food delivery service, and I'll never use one. I don't see anything regulating food safety between when it leaves my highly trained hands and when it arrives at your door. Fuck that.

Yes, I mentioned this and I agree.

I see it as not much different from pizza places sticking their food in a box, then into an insulated bag, then into the back seat of someone's car.  Not really regulated, but acceptable since the dawn of pizza delivery.

I mentioned earlier that I'm at least comforted to know the pizza delivery guy is at least an employee of where I order it from.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3005 on: January 28, 2022, 03:55:29 PM »
The pizza delivery guy works for Domino's or whoever, but that doesn't make him any more professional or reliable than the GH or DD delivery guy.  I just don't see the food being delivered by a third party as a reason not to order delivery by a third party.  You do, and choose not to go with them, and that's your choice.  But I'm not going to limit what I eat to places that have their own delivery.  I'd get sick of pizza and pasta really fast.

I order pizza, and I know it'll be delivered by an employee of the pizza place.  I order food via GrubHub, and I know that it'll be delivered by an employee of GrubHub.  It's not any different to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3006 on: January 28, 2022, 04:14:38 PM »
The pizza delivery guy works for Domino's or whoever, but that doesn't make him any more professional or reliable than the GH or DD delivery guy.  I just don't see the food being delivered by a third party as a reason not to order delivery by a third party.  You do, and choose not to go with them, and that's your choice.  But I'm not going to limit what I eat to places that have their own delivery.  I'd get sick of pizza and pasta really fast.

I order pizza, and I know it'll be delivered by an employee of the pizza place.  I order food via GrubHub, and I know that it'll be delivered by an employee of GrubHub.  It's not any different to me.

I just feel like there's an accountability if it's handled by an employee.

OK..whatever. Points made each way. :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: January 28, 2022, 04:21:27 PM »
I'd be more concerned with having one of my colleagues pick something up on their way into the office. They're much more likely to spit in my tofu salad than a DoorDash driver.

This discussion has had me reading articles I wouldn't have normally. Some are very concerning, but most articles seem to be emotionally charged, heavy on anecdotes, someone with an axe to grind, and noticeably light on evidence. I'm not really interested in peoples intuition or feelings, I want proof. Still, there does seem to be enough smoke that I'm willing to forego delivery until I can find out more.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3008 on: January 28, 2022, 04:24:04 PM »
Oh, and Tim...I wanted you to know I saw this:

P, That's great that you've had good experiences. I'm sure you're in a nice area where all things are upgraded. Food, delivery personnel.

It gave me a good laugh.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3009 on: January 28, 2022, 04:36:41 PM »
This discussion has had me reading articles I wouldn't have normally. Some are very concerning, but most articles seem to be emotionally charged, heavy on anecdotes, someone with an axe to grind, and noticeably light on evidence. I'm not really interested in peoples intuition or feelings, I want proof. Still, there does seem to be enough smoke that I'm willing to forego delivery until I can find out more.

See..I'm not a ranting lunatic. I'm really just a facilitator. ;D

Oh, and Tim...I wanted you to know I saw this:

It gave me a good laugh.  :lol

I'm glad you got a good laugh! ;D

But I'm probably not wrong, and I don't mean that to be insulting or condescending. I just think our geographies and demographics can affect our experiences.

I mentioned being out and seeing the DD and GH guys lining up for orders, and it looked like a fucking police lineup. Like I said, one guy sat down and chased a shot with a beer.
And holy shit, the Instacart people that shop in my store can barely keep their pants up. I wouldn't trust my rotisserie chicken to make it home with both drumsticks.