Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 325142 times)

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2450 on: January 09, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
Come on guys. You really should go for the Bill Murray in Kingpin look.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2451 on: January 09, 2019, 04:11:32 PM »
Come on guys. You really should go for the Bill Murray in Kingpin look.

I had to goggle that.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2452 on: January 09, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »
I'll take overrated actors for $400, Alex.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2453 on: January 09, 2019, 04:46:27 PM »
and my GF's attempt left a lot of unbuzzed spots

Dude... the first time I decided that I'd just take clippers to my head on my own, it was pre-kids and I had mrs.jingle do it in our kitchen.  I'm sitting in a chair, and we wet my hair just a wee bit too much.  The clippers couldn't get thru it, and holy fuck did we butcher my head (at first).  I was freaking out a bit because it was a Sunday night, and I had a customer meeting Monday morning!  Finally, we realized the problem, dried my hair a little, and then it was smooth sailing.

Protip... if you're using a #2 or higher on longish hair, don't wet your hair too much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: January 09, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »

Brent that leg accodent really knocked you around mate, awful stuff.  Did you ever get physio afterwards to try and help with mobility?  It's probably not too late.

yeah mate - months of (pretty painful) physio to get it back in to some sort of shape.

When I said mobility I was referring to general mobility , not the joint itself.   I gave the physio away once I was comfortable walking but I could've done further work on the strength side of things.  It stuffed me up in so many areas (incl. financially) that once I could walk I just moved on to other things rather than feeling I had the luxury of gym time each day.  I have never managed to get any sort of "spare time" back as I'm too busy trying to dig myself out of a hole .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
That's rough bro.  I find once you are past the initial stages of an injury physios are kind of a waste of money and you can get to where you need to yourself..  Some physios know less than dr google anyway.  I had one once that legit didn't know a damn thing and I knew more than her.

Head up mate.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2456 on: January 09, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
I'm in a similar situation myself. Dec 2007 (I was 31) I was hit head on by an 82 year grandma doing 55+. She crossed over and slammed me. Needed to be cut out of my van. Opened the side like a can and then had to cut my seat at the base to get me out from under the dash. Shattered my left femur and my right ankle and fractured my right wrist. 10 hours of reconstructive surgery and 1 1/2 months between 3 different facilities - a hospital, a nursing home and finally a rehab hospital. 8-10 screws in my knee, 4 in my hip and a plate running the distance. 2 plates and about 8 screws in my ankle. All removed now, sans a screw in my knee that got completely encased in bone.

Had to learn how to walk again and everything. I have little to no tolerance for anything that I used to enjoy. The few times I have gone to Six Flags or to Summerfest in Milwaukee it's a nightmare. I'm nearly in tears by the end of the day and running on pure adrenaline to get to the car and sit. I should be in an adult softball league now but I can't run. A fast walk is about my max.

I'm 42 but my body is about 62. When I am at a concert and have to stand, my right ankle/foot goes numb from standing. I have to constantly move as much as possible to keep from falling over.

The only good news is that I continue to beat the odds. My left knee was supposed to go about 8 years ago but instead I keep getting stronger. I even grew back more bone then expected for my age at the time. Honestly, my ankle is far worse than my knee.

I do the old guy thing and have been in a bowling league for 8 or 9 years now. That was fun the first few years since I couldn't plant on my left leg. I looked bizarre. Within the last 2 or 3 years I was finally able to plant properly. Like I said, getting stronger for no good reason.

Anyway, that's most of my story. Body is much older than it should be.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:36:49 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: January 09, 2019, 11:40:16 PM »
Wow, the just awful mate.  Your positivity and will is what's making you stronger I believe.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: January 10, 2019, 01:20:55 AM »
Sorry to hear about all that Prof  :-\   I still have all the metalwork (plates and screws) in my knee and ankle - what sort of difference did having it out make for you?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: January 10, 2019, 05:14:42 AM »
Now that was a proper story for this thread. The Prof rocks!

I'm not sure how I feel about you getting better though. It's cool and all, but that never happens to me. I wonder what we do differently?  :)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2460 on: January 10, 2019, 06:31:50 AM »
Dang ProfessorPeart.....that’s a brutal story. But sounds like there’s a great story about overcoming some terrible circumstances as well  Here’s to your body continuing to ‘get stronger for no good reason’   :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2461 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:54 AM »
Dang ProfessorPeart.....that’s a brutal story.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:09 AM »
Amazing and incredible that ....  everyone survived.

RAAAAAWWWWRRRRR!!!  :neverusethis:

Seriously tho, sucks that it happened, but good that things are improving better than expected.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: January 10, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »
and my GF's attempt left a lot of unbuzzed spots

Dude... the first time I decided that I'd just take clippers to my head on my own, it was pre-kids and I had mrs.jingle do it in our kitchen.  I'm sitting in a chair, and we wet my hair just a wee bit too much.  The clippers couldn't get thru it, and holy fuck did we butcher my head (at first).  I was freaking out a bit because it was a Sunday night, and I had a customer meeting Monday morning!  Finally, we realized the problem, dried my hair a little, and then it was smooth sailing.

Protip... if you're using a #2 or higher on longish hair, don't wet your hair too much.

I don't wet my hair at all for a buzz cut.  Typically I'll shower a bit before a hair cut so whoever is touching me is dealing with a clean head plus I am a greasy italian so this way my hair is smoother. But I don't spray water or anything before the actual cut. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2464 on: January 10, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
Sorry to hear about all that Prof  :-\   I still have all the metalwork (plates and screws) in my knee and ankle - what sort of difference did having it out make for you?

The ankle hardware was removed within a year or so after. They just said it was time to remove it. The hardware in my left leg was there longer. After a while, I started to have a lot of pain and trouble walking. I went to a new orthopedic (hated the guy I got saddled with after my trauma surgeon left the area shortly after putting me back together) and said I think it's time to remove my hardware. They tried a cortisone shot first which did nothing so I went back again and said just remove it. They agreed and I had the surgery. Had to go through rehab again but it made everything better.

I guess it just depends on the person. I hear that leaving it in can help people but that with some, it can start to cause problems and pain.

The other part that I left out of that was 2 years or so after it all happened I started having major issues in my knee. They couldn't find anything on scans and were just going to not do anything (this was the replacement ortho that I hated). His P.A. just happened to be present during all of my surgeries and lobbied on my behalf for an exploratory. They somehow agreed. Opened me up and found a rogue screw had shifted and turned my meniscus to shredded cheese. He removed the screw and shaved the hanging bits off of my meniscus.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: January 10, 2019, 07:56:28 AM »
Opened me up and found a rogue screw had shifted and turned my meniscus to shredded cheese. He removed the screw and shaved the hanging bits off of my meniscus.

Holy Cow  :omg:    Your experience is incredible....not a good way incredible but 'incredible' in the fact that SO much happened to you. Just crazy....

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2466 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:27 AM »
Holy cow, and here I am complaining about 2 torn ligaments from playing Basketball.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: January 10, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »

The ankle hardware was removed within a year or so after. They just said it was time to remove it. The hardware in my left leg was there longer. After a while, I started to have a lot of pain and trouble walking. I went to a new orthopedic (hated the guy I got saddled with after my trauma surgeon left the area shortly after putting me back together) and said I think it's time to remove my hardware. They tried a cortisone shot first which did nothing so I went back again and said just remove it. They agreed and I had the surgery. Had to go through rehab again but it made everything better.

I guess it just depends on the person. I hear that leaving it in can help people but that with some, it can start to cause problems and pain.

The other part that I left out of that was 2 years or so after it all happened I started having major issues in my knee. They couldn't find anything on scans and were just going to not do anything (this was the replacement ortho that I hated). His P.A. just happened to be present during all of my surgeries and lobbied on my behalf for an exploratory. They somehow agreed. Opened me up and found a rogue screw had shifted and turned my meniscus to shredded cheese. He removed the screw and shaved the hanging bits off of my meniscus.

You don't do things by half measures  ;D

Thanks for that.    I have had all the hardware in for 4 years now and was never prodded to have it out.   I operate under the assumption that whatever can go wrong will go wrong (hereby known as the Professor Peart Rule) and so going under for another procedure and another minor rehab isn't appealing if there's no great benefit to be had.

Aside from some pretty nasty shooting pain up and down the leg (only a few times a week and just for a couple of minutes) and a burning sensation in the knee that comes and goes - my theory is some scar tissue between the skin and the plate - I don't have too many ongoing issues other than a total lack of shock absorption in the knee when running.   So I figure that I might as well leave things alone if they're not bothering me mich.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2468 on: January 10, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »
I guess I am lucky since I am 45 and still have a ton of hair. And thick hair to boot.

I’ve never felt so old as I do right now. Right groin has been barking at me for three weeks now. Tweaked it in a hockey game.....left elbow has some sort of weird persistent ache to where it’s effecting my grip strength....and both my ankles and right knee have been sending out signals that they aren’t happy with me as well.

Been training for two upcoming Trail Run races, (Feb. 17th & March 3rd) and playing hockey on Sundays. It’s starting to catch up to me I think. I’ve been a runner since Thanksgiving of 2007.....at least 3X a week minimum since then.....so I’m wondering being that running is so high impact on the joints that it’s just catching up to me?

Whatever it is.....I don’t believe I’ve ever had this many ailments all at once

Welcome to 40+! :lol :censored

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: January 10, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
I guess I am lucky since I am 45 and still have a ton of hair. And thick hair to boot.

Yeah, funny how some guys are prone to balding and other guys just aren't.  We're the lucky ones I guess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2471 on: January 11, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
I love stuff like that.  There's a scene in the movie "In and Out" where Matt Dillon's character is visiting his home town with some vapid supermodel, and they have an argument in their hotel room, so he leaves.  Alone now, she looks at the phone on the desk, and it's an old rotary phone.  Never seen the movie before, but I said "She won't know how to use the phone" and yeah I was right.  Fun stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2473 on: January 11, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
In the driveway.   What a long ass week.  I'm to old for this shit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: January 11, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »
I didn't really know where else to put this, but I wanted to share and figure this group would understand the best.

Mrs. P and I payed off our house yesterday! :fireworks:

That was it. That was the last debt we owed. No cars payments, no credit card debt, no student loan debt, no more debt at all.

Tonight we are burning the mortgage and drinking champagne!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: January 11, 2019, 05:53:05 PM »
Congrats, that is awesome! Must feel good to have accomplished that

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2476 on: January 11, 2019, 06:21:02 PM »
I didn't really know where else to put this, but I wanted to share and figure this group would understand the best.

That was it. That was the last debt we owed. No cars payments, no credit card debt, no student loan debt, no more debt at all.

:tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2477 on: January 11, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »
Awesome!!!

:fireworks:
Tonight we are  drinking champagne!

She'll know you are ready for business when you wheel this bad boy into the bedroom!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2478 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:18 PM »
Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Peccary!!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: January 12, 2019, 05:53:12 AM »
Thanks guys. It feels good. If ya'll haven't already, I hope you get there yourselves. :soon:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: January 12, 2019, 06:18:25 AM »
We got there almost 2 years ago when I was packaged out from my job at the time.  Took a big chunk of the severance, and paid off the house.  It is an amazing feeling.  But.... With the move we have coming up (we've bought a house at very close to the same amount we'll sell this house for), and the reno's we're going to put in to it, we'll be taking on a mortgage again.  2-3 years I figure to get it paid off.  I'd like to be mortgage-free (again) by the time I'm 50, but that might be a stretch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2481 on: January 12, 2019, 06:31:37 AM »

Congrats!! What a feeling that must be!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: January 12, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »

Awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: January 12, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »

That's a massive achievement.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #2484 on: January 12, 2019, 06:55:05 PM »
Mrs. P and I payed off our house yesterday!

Congrats!  :tup