Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 332182 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2415 on: January 08, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
How old do you need to be to participate in this thread?

I believe it's more a state of mind thing  :lol

Actually, it's just the opposite ... it's a state of body

Amen.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2416 on: January 08, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
Well, might as well share my thoughts on this that's been bothering me for a while now.  I've been balding since I was in my early 20's and even though it wasn't that bad back then, 34 and the round balding spot has certainly found a comfortable home on top of my head.  I actually didn't really notice until about a year ago when my gf mentioned it was getting bigger, before that I was pretty oblivious.  Long hours, stressful job and a couple of years in my late 20's severely underrating borderline eating disorder doesn't help either.  The past 12 months I've tried a natural approach by cutting most dairy, sticking to organic grass fed meats, adding some different supplements, cutting artificial sweeteners and additives and trying to sleep a bit more.  Seems it's stabilised pretty well, even very slightly improved but I'm going all in one last shot with minoxidil and just started it on the weekend.  Seems easy and convenient and if it makes a difference, happy to use it long term, as I can afford it.  Looked up other treatments but too many seem to have side effects which affects sex drive and function and that's definitely not worth it, I don't care what anyone says.  Seems finding a cure is decreasing sex hormones so looks like a no win situation.

I've been told not to shave it yet but I'm getting close to just saying fuck it and shave it, I can only imagine what a liberating feeling that would be.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2417 on: January 08, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »
That’d be a bold call and a big FU to the slow approach. If you’re already balding and have a short cut anyway.....what’s the worst thing that could happen? If it’s so utterly ‘bad’ it’d only be a month or so before you’d get your surviving coverage back.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2418 on: January 08, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »
That’d be a bold call and a big FU to the slow approach. If you’re already balding and have a short cut anyway.....what’s the worst thing that could happen? If it’s so utterly ‘bad’ it’d only be a month or so before you’d get your surviving coverage back.

You're not losing your hair are you?

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #2419 on: January 08, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
I had long hair in my late teens and early 20's, then it started falling out fairly quickly by the time I got to my mid-20's. I started shaving it, and I haven't looked back. It's so much easier to take care of by simply taking a razor to it once, or twice a week. It's very nice in the summer months.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2420 on: January 08, 2019, 06:00:08 PM »

You're not losing your hair are you?

No bald spot yet but receding hairline. It’s gonna happen eventually though. Im a spitting image of my Dad and he slowly lost his once he got into his 40’s
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2421 on: January 08, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »
I've been told not to shave it yet but I'm getting close to just saying fuck it and shave it, I can only imagine what a liberating feeling that would be.

@PowerSlave... I could've written that post word for word.

I was 21 the first time someone mentioned I was thinning/going bald.  Started taking clippers to my hair in my late 20s; started shaving it down to the wood in my early 30s.

Kade... Welcome to the club.  Showers are shorter (I can be in and out in 2 minutes or less), haircutting and shampoo/conditioner expenses for the last 15 years adds up to about $0.  I love the feel of a freshly shaven head on my pillow in the evening. 

I never had a problem with losing my hair.  It's never defined me or my identity in any way.  I remember a commercial from when I was young (why I remember this, I have no idea).... it was for Amstel beer, and the whole premise of the commercial was about confidence and not giving a fuck about what anyone thinks about you.  There was a 40-something bald guy in one of the shots hanging with his pals at the bar and having a great laugh, and the narration was 'This is for Bill... who has never once thought about getting a hair transplant'.  No clue why that stuck with me as a teenager, but when my time came, I never once thought about fighting or faking my hairline.

When I started losing my hair, it just didn't matter to me.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2422 on: January 08, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »
I can be in and out in 2 minutes or less

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2423 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »

@PowerSlave... I could've written that post word for word.

I was 21 the first time someone mentioned I was thinning/going bald.  Started taking clippers to my hair in my late 20s; started shaving it down to the wood in my early 30s.

Kade... Welcome to the club.  Showers are shorter (I can be in and out in 2 minutes or less), haircutting and shampoo/conditioner expenses for the last 15 years adds up to about $0.  I love the feel of a freshly shaven head on my pillow in the evening. 

I never had a problem with losing my hair.  It's never defined me or my identity in any way.  I remember a commercial from when I was young (why I remember this, I have no idea).... it was for Amstel beer, and the whole premise of the commercial was about confidence and not giving a fuck about what anyone thinks about you.  There was a 40-something bald guy in one of the shots hanging with his pals at the bar and having a great laugh, and the narration was 'This is for Bill... who has never once thought about getting a hair transplant'.  No clue why that stuck with me as a teenager, but when my time came, I never once thought about fighting or faking my hairline.

When I started losing my hair, it just didn't matter to me.

Yeah, I don't really give a shit what other people think of me, I just think I would look like a complete knob with a shaven head, I just don't think it would suit.  Having no expenses and saving time though on having no hair is really what makes me want to almost do it.  My gf is just not keen on that idea, but it will have to be done at some stage I guess.  It's great that it never mattered to you Chad, shows the type of man you are.

If Minoxidil makes a considerable difference, then I'll see it through, if I don't think it's worth the time, I think it will go.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2424 on: January 08, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
I go to the barber every 5 weeks and get a #1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2425 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:25 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2426 on: January 08, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »
I wish!  I miss my curly mullet.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2427 on: January 09, 2019, 01:56:57 AM »
The right thing to do is don't give a shit. If your hair falls out, it falls out and (imo) nothing can change that. My dad had a bald spot very early and he spent a fortune on tonics, pills and other miracle cures, but nothing helped. That money could have been spent better.

Up until 35 I had really long hair, until then it's all downhill.  :biggrin: I'm not bald yet, but have a seriously receding hairline and a bald spot on top that grows bigger every year. It is what it is and that's good. And maybe one day I will shave my head completely and that will be good too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2428 on: January 09, 2019, 02:33:20 AM »
My dad had a bald spot very early and he spent a fortune on tonics, pills and other miracle cures, but nothing helped. That money could have been spent better.

I spent a fortune on half a dozen EVH Gear baseball caps - I have one for every occasion  :biggrin:    I'm sure people talk about it behind my back - "always has a bloody cap on"............but if it wasn't that they'd be talking about my dodgy hairstyle.   Either way - stuff 'em  ;)   My grandfather was totally bald in his 20's , my dad in his 30s so I am doing alright with a big bald patch (but thick and wavy elsewhere) in my mid 40's. :metal 

I can also relate to the talk above about mobility - I have no real choice in the matter.  Ever since I busted my leg (at the knee and ankle) I have had very limited shock absorption in the leg and can't run much further than 20-30m without it being a pain.  No prospect for improvement so , like the hair , I just live with the idea.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:48:34 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2429 on: January 09, 2019, 03:11:28 AM »

I spent a fortune on half a dozen EVH Gear baseball caps - I have one for every occasion  :biggrin: 

Now that is money well spent.  :metal :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: January 09, 2019, 04:23:07 AM »
The right thing to do is don't give a shit. If your hair falls out, it falls out and (imo) nothing can change that. My dad had a bald spot very early and he spent a fortune on tonics, pills and other miracle cures, but nothing helped. That money could have been spent better.

Up until 35 I had really long hair, until then it's all downhill.  :biggrin: I'm not bald yet, but have a seriously receding hairline and a bald spot on top that grows bigger every year. It is what it is and that's good. And maybe one day I will shave my head completely and that will be good too.

These comments make me feel good.  You guys have the best attitudes.  Accepting is something I am getting better at but I've paid $140 bucks so I will put it to use with this monoxidil.  If I try at least I can say I did try.  The more I read  thouhh the more obvious it is that it's something that is so common and really there is no proper cure.  If there was an easy cure there would be a lot less bald men walking around.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2431 on: January 09, 2019, 04:26:14 AM »
My dad had a bald spot very early and he spent a fortune on tonics, pills and other miracle cures, but nothing helped. That money could have been spent better.

I spent a fortune on half a dozen EVH Gear baseball caps - I have one for every occasion  :biggrin:    I'm sure people talk about it behind my back - "always has a bloody cap on"............but if it wasn't that they'd be talking about my dodgy hairstyle.   Either way - stuff 'em  ;)   My grandfather was totally bald in his 20's , my dad in his 30s so I am doing alright with a big bald patch (but thick and wavy elsewhere) in my mid 40's. :metal 

I can also relate to the talk above about mobility - I have no real choice in the matter.  Ever since I busted my leg (at the knee and ankle) I have had very limited shock absorption in the leg and can't run much further than 20-30m without it being a pain.  No prospect for improvement so , like the hair , I just live with the idea.  :-\

The combover works well enough for me too at the moment.  ;D

Brent that leg accodent really knocked you around mate, awful stuff.  Did you ever get physio afterwards to try and help with mobility?  It's probably not too late.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2432 on: January 09, 2019, 05:07:02 AM »
I've had a receding hairline since I was in my late 20's...mostly on the left and right "corners" of the front of my hairline.  Most of the men on my dad's side have the same thing (an uncle and a few cousins).  My dad's hair is still great at 64, but he's dyed it for as long as I can remember.  He's only recently started letting the gray show now that he's a grandfather and retired.   :) 

I've been going gray slowly since I hit 30 and I don't mind it.  I've had curly hair all of my life, so it's nice to have hair that's a bit straighter, even if it's grayer.  Being short and fairly younger looking for most of my life, it's allowed me to look more my age and not be carded when buying liquor.   :lol  The older I get (I'll be 39 in May) the less I care about how it might look.  I'm married with kids - I don't have to impress anyone.  Every month I get it cut with a #1/#2 and keep it fairly short.  That hides the receding hairline a bit more too.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2433 on: January 09, 2019, 07:09:10 AM »
What's all this teen-aged whinging about hair loss in the old as mold clubhouse?! :getoffmylawn:

Take a clue from Chad and dig out the dog clippers from the utility closet and mow that nasty, whispy, fringe down to nubs. It will take you longer to fish your dentures out of the whisky glass than it will to comb your hair with a wash cloth and women will no longer turn away in disgust from your skullet.

Now let's get back to comparing medications and the trials of getting out of recliners at the end of the evening!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2434 on: January 09, 2019, 07:25:11 AM »
Going to the barber to get a #1 or #2 is like taking you car to the mechanic to fill it up with gas.  Invest $30 or $40 for a good trimmer and do it yourself.

Unless of course there's a hot shampoo girl that you're shagging on the side.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: January 09, 2019, 07:40:43 AM »
If barber shops with hot shampoo girls were a thing around here then I might get out more often -  might've be a business idea in that pre-PC/fun police  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2436 on: January 09, 2019, 08:12:55 AM »
Going to the barber to get a #1 or #2 is like taking you car to the mechanic to fill it up with gas.  Invest $30 or $40 for a good trimmer and do it yourself.

Out of curiosity, do you use a trimmer or do you shave your skull the old fashioned way? I have no desire to be a cue ball, but I know people who manually shave their heads and it seems like a tremendous pain in the ass. Fuck, I don't even like shaving my face (as people who've met we will attest).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: January 09, 2019, 08:25:47 AM »

Out of curiosity, do you use a trimmer or do you shave your skull the old fashioned way? I have no desire to be a cue ball, but I know people who manually shave their heads and it seems like a tremendous pain in the ass. Fuck, I don't even like shaving my face (as people who've met we will attest).

Both.  When I let things go for more than a week, I don't want to 'clog' my blades with hair, so I'll use the trimmer without an attachment to get it to stubble.  Then I use a blade to go Kojak-style.  If I've only got a couple of days of growth, I use a 'head-blade', but it only holds double-bladed razors... so when I have more than a few days of growth, I use a triple or quad blade razor.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2438 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »
Christ, I'd rather pay for the #1.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »

My father in law owns a barber shop.  It's free for me

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
Yeah, but is there a hot shampoo girl?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: January 09, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
Nope.  I married for that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: January 09, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »

Both.  When I let things go for more than a week, I don't want to 'clog' my blades with hair, so I'll use the trimmer without an attachment to get it to stubble.  Then I use a blade to go Kojak-style.  If I've only got a couple of days of growth, I use a 'head-blade', but it only holds double-bladed razors... so when I have more than a few days of growth, I use a triple or quad blade razor.

Can I ride that thing to work?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2443 on: January 09, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »
 :lol

Looks like a snowmobile.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: January 09, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »
It's a sleek design, for sure.  Just so you get the perspective

They also sell Head Lube!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2445 on: January 09, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
I thought head lube was for when...

Sorry, I was thinking of something else.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2446 on: January 09, 2019, 03:24:43 PM »
It's a sleek design, for sure.  Just so you get the perspective

Oh wow! I thought the thing was a handle. That's really small.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2447 on: January 09, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
Huh huh huh uh huh huh huh head lube huh uh huh huh huh...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2448 on: January 09, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
Huh huh huh uh huh huh huh head lube huh uh huh huh huh...

:bnb:

@TAC... the 'hook' is a handle, that you slip your finger in to.  Yeah yeah yeah... that's what she said.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: January 09, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
I dont know why I stumbled here but the balding talk is gold  :lol  And as wolfking says hes 34, the same age as me, I guess I can join the old as mold club. 

I'm slowly balding, not terribly but there's a spot on the back of my head and of course the receding hairline.  But:

This is me.  I've been getting #2's though, my GF would rather me not be that close to bald and I am somewhat agreeing with her lately.  Especially since I had gone a couple years with long hair.  I'm really not coordinated well enough to buzz my own head, and my GF's attempt left a lot of unbuzzed spots so I think it's easiest and best to just get one of the ladies down the street to do it for me.  But I also agree to not go out of your way to try and "fix" your baldness.  It's natural and its YOU so you got to just accept it.  My father has been doing tricks to prevent his balding and I just look at it as a waste of time and money.