Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336930 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club 30&Over/A.K.A, Obscure, Lonestar Lovefest!
« Reply #1505 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
I get that and the second I was old enough and capable of getting away and being on my own, I did.  Not because I didn't want to be around my family, I just wanted the independence to call my own shots.  We got along fine then and now.  When we go visit them in VA for Christmas, we all get along fine, for the most part.  I just have seemed to notice lately that if there's ever any contact with the bubble that they all live in down in VA, I'm the one who makes contact.  If there are visits to be made, it's me, Mrs. C., and Jr. Mrs. C. going there.  There are members of my family I have almost begged to come here to visit and hang out that just don't seem to have any interest.  Some have very rarely made the opportunity.  My mom and dad have been pretty good about coming up every once in a while.  I just start to feel like if I didn't make 99% of the effort, I'd never hear from them or see them.  Just about the only time I ever hear from someone is when something is wrong.  And I understand that everyone has their lives to lead and their limitations

The other thing - the big thing I'm wrestling with today - I sometimes question whether or not any of them realize that Mrs. C. has brought her son along with us when we come to visit, as he's pretty much ignored.  Fortunately my brother has kids he can play with.  Being blood, everybody engages and/or pays attention to them.  Thing is, I'm not sure they even realize they're being this way towards Jr.

Anyway, she, as any mother would, has taken painstaking notice of how little interest anyone there has in him.  The boy turns 13 today.  A big deal.  All of them know it, because I've spoken to my brother and my sister in the last couple of days about other things and have told them it's his 13th birthday today.  I'm holding out hope that SOMEBODY down there in VA will pull their head out of their ass and make a phone call or something, anything.  Mrs. C. posted a nice bit on Facebook early this morning about being the mother of a teenager, with a pic of him as a baby and one of him from this past weekend.  There were a number of likes and responses from friends and people on her side of the family.  My side?

*crickets*

Not one "like" or comment or anything.  8 members of my family are friends with her on Facebook and so far, not a single one of them has made an attempt to even click "like".  I know that "Hey, it's Facebook, don't take it so seriously."  It sounds petty, of course (You didn't "Like" my post!  Waaahhh!), but it really isn't intended that way.  To me, making a simple little effort like that is an indication that you acknowledge someone, that you haven't forgotten or dismissed them.

I did hear from my mother yesterday, AFTER I called to remind her that she was preparing to miss Jr's birthday yet again.  I got the usual "Oh, no!  But, but, I have it written in there in the back of the phone book, with all the other birthdays, how could I forget?"  This is one of those old personal phone/address books that you write peoples' info in that they've had for probably 15 years.  It comes as no surprise that she wouldn't remember something she wrote in the back of it.  So anyway, at least she made an effort after I mentioned it.  Again, the day isn't over, so I could very likely well be pleasantly surprised if someone makes some kind of effort this evening.  However, I won't really hold my breath.  Like I said, having made the choice to live 5 hours away, we're out of sight, out of mind.  Except that Jr. seems to be out of mind, regardless.  On Thursday, I will be calling my brother's daughter (turning 7, I think) to wish her happy birthday, as I do every other year, as I do with both of his other kids, and for both of my sister's kids.  And they're adults now.  I guess I just don't get where the disconnect is that others can't seem to have the same kind of consideration.

Part of the conflict is that you can't go telling people "Hey, whether you realize it or not, I'm paying attention and you pretty much ignore Jr. at every opportunity."  Because then they'll go out of their way not to and you'll know it's never 100% genuine.

So I'm just kinda bummed today.  It hurts Mrs. C.'s feelings that nobody in my family ever seems to pay the slightest bit of attention to her kid and are often somewhat dismissive of him.  She wants very much for my family to embrace him like they might their own, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.  I hate to see her upset about it, but there's no nice way to tell people that they're being borderline rude, without them putting on a show about it afterwards.  However, the longer this goes on and the more I feel like I'm the one who makes most of the effort, the less I start to care about what I say and who I upset.

I'm really just ranting out loud at this point.  Seemingly not much I can do or say to them about it without coming off looking like I'm out for a pity party.  I just throw my hands up sometimes without the slightest clue as to what to do.  It sucks.  I really hope that someone pulls through and makes me proud of them tonight.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1506 on: March 05, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »
I'll give you my philosophy on such things. A lot of my extended family is, let's say, self-centered. As the youngest of my family, they tend to reach out to me a little more than the others, but not a whole lot. This has caused some hurt feelings here and there from my mom, who tends to notice such things. Myself, pragmatic bastard that I am, adopted a simple attitude towards this: people are what they are, and there's no use getting worked up about it. Some people are good about birthdays. Some people are good about including in-laws/step children. Some people suck at both. Myself, I just accept that despite their good qualities, some of my relatives are also assholes in other areas. At that point, you evaluate how big a problem it actually is for you. Personally, I can accept that sometimes they're selfish or absentminded, just like I could accept if they're feeble-minded or born with 4 toes per foot.  If it's so serious that you can't overlook it, which is perfectly understandable for some people, then cut your losses and remove the problem from your life.

Since this is your mom we're talking about, and I don't gather it's a big enough problem that you're going to write her off, I'd tell your family what I tell my mom. Some people can't help being thoughtless sometimes, and you shouldn't take it personally. That's just one area where she sucks, and which y'all are better people.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1507 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
That's all very sensible, actually.  I may have misrepresented - my mom and dad are usually more likely to at least pay attention to the boy, my mom is just forgetful.  It's the fact that most everyone else doesn't seem to realize the boy even exists and I am the middle man.  He isn't my child, but I do care about him.  She's hurt because it's her child, but it's my family who is kinda the problem.  It's a lot more difficult to get her to see "They're nice people, but you have to accept that they're broken in a lot of ways that maybe we aren't."  However, that IS very good advice.  It seems so obvious.  Did it take you a long time to kinda come to terms with that way of thinking?  It seems like it would take she or I a while to get used to seeing things that way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1508 on: March 05, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
In this day and age Coz, people seem to put themselves first.  Sad to say.  I've seen what it has done to my nephew and neice.  Hell, my nephew relapsed while living with us.  He may not like the attention he's getting now but no one had the stones to do anything for this kid.  Now he may not like what I have to say but I will straight shoot with him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1509 on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:17 PM »
It's just not in my nature to take things personally unless they're intentionally directed at me. Seems like most people can't compartmentalize like that. If somebody wrongs me, I look at it to see if they did it to spite me, or if they're just selfish and thoughtless in general. Almost always it turns out to be the latter. This is something that afflicts everybody, so I don't generally hold it against them unless it's really out of hand. I'm a pretty selfish guy myself, but I recognize this and make an effort to be considerate to others.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1510 on: March 05, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »
We all are a bit selfish, but in Coz's case, if they don't want to go to the party, send a card, or call.  Doesn't take much.  When you don;t acknowledge it leads to bruised feelings.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1511 on: March 05, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
Well, like I said, they live 5 hours away, but at least acknowledge it with a call or an email or a message or something. Just something to say "hey, I thought about you". But yeah, it probably is a matter of everybody just being kind of wrapped up in their own world. Which I do understand. To a point.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1512 on: March 05, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
Well, shoot.  I was going to try to find you on Facebook, hoping you would have tagged Jr. as family so I could send a stealth happy birthday message.  But unfortunately, I can't seem to find you by entering your name and state.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1513 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
:lol  Well, admittedly, that's by design that it's hard to find me. Jr. doesn't have an account though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1514 on: March 05, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
:lol  Well, admittedly, that's by design that it's hard to find me. Jr. doesn't have an account though.

Actually, not has hard to find as you might think.  I figured it out.  Just took me a bit longer, and I had to try different combinations of key words plus parts of actual name.  (And if that didn't work, I was going to just try Ace Frehley with your name and see what happened)

But since he doesn't have an account, tell him DTF sends their birthday wishes.  (I would just PM Mrs. Cozmo, but since she has no idea who I am, she'd probably think it was more creepy than cool, so...yeah :lol )
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: March 05, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
So I should go on Facebook and friend, "Floyd Rose" then?! :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1516 on: March 06, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
I was just pining away for the kind of good, wholesome entertainment we used to have around in the "good ole' days" that seems to have all but vanished now.  Back when men were men, and heroes were heroes.  You fellow fogies know what I'm talking about:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti0hvzbt-2E

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1517 on: March 06, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
When my dad would tell me who would win and I couldn't figure out why my dad was so smart and could figure these things out!

Until I got older and then saw that Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka faced of against Al.  The 300 pound, balding, pale, single strap leotard wearing wrestler was his opponent.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1518 on: January 11, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
New fogey fact: my favorite current cereal is Fiber One Nutty Clusters & Almonds.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1519 on: January 11, 2014, 06:26:58 AM »
Guess this could go here... I nearly blew my knee out last week clearing snow off my van.  How is that possible you ask?  I planted my foot a little too close to the driver's side front tire as I reached across the windshield to brush the snow off.  As I leaned, my kneecap rammed right in to the top of the tire, and my knee buckled a little.  Probably stretched the ligaments a little, as I was hobbling around for a couple of days.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1520 on: January 11, 2014, 06:38:26 AM »
That's no good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: January 11, 2014, 06:40:06 AM »
That's no good.

I read that as "That snow good"

Pun level:  Josh.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1522 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05:31 AM »
Over 30 Club... Interesting. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: January 11, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »
Didn't know there was a thread devoted to fogeys - better own up and join the good taste club  ;)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1524 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:10 AM »
Yeah, it's been a while.  But you know how it is.  You get older, you slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1525 on: January 11, 2014, 07:20:51 AM »
Yeah, it's been a while.  But you know how it is.  You get older, you slow down...

I think the membership requirement should be pushed up to 40 now.  When we started this thread (and it's predecessor on the pre-crash board), there weren't many over 40.  Time has passed, and we're all still here.

30 something's are just wannabe fogeys.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: January 11, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »
Cool..................I have about 10 or 11 weeks left as a non fogey then.  Better make the most of it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: January 11, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »
Guess this could go here... I nearly blew my knee out last week clearing snow off my van.  How is that possible you ask?  I planted my foot a little too close to the driver's side front tire as I reached across the windshield to brush the snow off.  As I leaned, my kneecap rammed right in to the top of the tire, and my knee buckled a little.  Probably stretched the ligaments a little, as I was hobbling around for a couple of days.

Damn.

I've been putting off going to the Doc's for a ligament issue in the back of my left knee. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1528 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
what does one do when he goes to three different doctors, gets three different MRIs, and gets three different responses?  Not give a fuck, that's what!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: January 11, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
Drink the pain away.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1530 on: January 11, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
Drink the pain away.

That has been working so far.  The vicodin ran out but the scotch works just fine.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1531 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »

I think the membership requirement should be pushed up to 40 now.  When we started this thread (and it's predecessor on the pre-crash board), there weren't many over 40.  Time has passed, and we're all still here.

Yeah, everyone I know in their 30's is a punk.  Present company excepted, of course.

"Punk" isn't an age; it's a status.  If you're in your 30's and still aren't as cool as you hoped you'd be when you grew up, you're a punk.

You punks, get off my lawn!

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1532 on: January 11, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »
Ahhhh .... I have found my people!!  Another member of the fortysomething club here.  Old enough to remember KISS shows with all original members the first time, Joe Satriani with long hair, Zakk Wylde as a baby-faced Jersey guitar wizard, and Bon Jovi as an opening act for Ratt .... and I've even already made an old guy post about the cost of ticket prices these days ("back in my day....").

I feel safe with you people here.   :coolio

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1533 on: January 11, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
Yup, yup, still alive!  :hat
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1534 on: January 11, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
44 here
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1535 on: January 11, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »

I'm almost 33 and have been working as a delivery driver for years.  I feel like a fogey.  Does that count?
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1536 on: January 11, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
Ahhhh .... I have found my people!!  Another member of the fortysomething club here.  Old enough to remember KISS shows with all original members the first time, Joe Satriani with long hair, Zakk Wylde as a baby-faced Jersey guitar wizard, and Bon Jovi as an opening act for Ratt .... and I've even already made an old guy post about the cost of ticket prices these days ("back in my day....").

I feel safe with you people here.   :coolio
I remember that tour. Bon Jovi sucked even back then.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1537 on: January 11, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »

Yeah, everyone I know in their 30's is a punk.  Present company excepted, of course.

"Punk" isn't an age; it's a status.  If you're in your 30's and still aren't as cool as you hoped you'd be when you grew up, you're a punk.

You punks, get off my lawn!
Do I count as a fogey if I never expected to be cool when I got older? :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1538 on: January 11, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
I'm not sure.  There's probably some kind of similar definition.  Just as "punk" is more about status and attitude, so is "fogey" to me.  "Fogeys" aren't just old, they're the old guys who bitch about how things are nowadays, how things were better/worse/whatever in the old days, how kids today don't understand/appreciate things, etc.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #1539 on: January 12, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »
So wait...I'm 33....does that mean I still can't be a part of the club?  Bah you guys keep changing the rules.  It's not fair.   :P
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.