Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 334852 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3465 on: May 31, 2023, 02:32:24 PM »
I feel like I needed berevement more for when I had to put my cats down than for any human. I had to go cry in the bathroom like twice. Wish that was covered. Maybe the next time that happens, I'll just say it was a grandparent. Think anyone will care? lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3466 on: May 31, 2023, 05:34:05 PM »
That sucks that you are having to work a little right now, Joe.

When my mom passed away 15 months ago on a Wednesday, I was back to work the following Monday and the distraction was needed (the funeral was the following week). There is no possible way I could have concentrated at work the Thursday and Friday after the day she passed. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3467 on: May 31, 2023, 05:39:13 PM »
I only had to respond to a few questions. I was left alone in the afternoon except the background came for a new hire and the new monthly safety meeting. Both I forwarded to my backup.

Tomorrow,  Lisa and I will go for a nice drive to clear our heads. Together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3468 on: May 31, 2023, 07:10:11 PM »
Good decision.  I hope it helps, or at least alleviates a little of the hurt.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3469 on: June 01, 2023, 08:30:39 AM »
I only had to respond to a few questions. I was left alone in the afternoon except the background came for a new hire and the new monthly safety meeting. Both I forwarded to my backup.

Tomorrow,  Lisa and I will go for a nice drive to clear our heads. Together.

That's beautiful. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3470 on: June 29, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »
Old fogey moment.  I clench my jaw when I sleep, it's usually stress-related.  I wear a mouthgard to protect against grinding my teeth as a result.  I woke up last night and felt that my jaw was clenched pretty hard.

So I'm yawning this morning after getting up early to work and felt a huge POP in my jaw.  Shooting pain goes from the joint in the jaw, through the muscles and into my tongue.  Sore jaw, hurts to talk or swallow.  Messaged my doctor and he says it's probably TMJ, which is just a fancy name for jaw popping and its associated pain.

So I get to ice/heat my jaw, pop a bunch of advils and treat it with icy hot.  How the hell does one injure themselves by yawning?  Guess I need to work on some stress relief strategies as well.   :censored

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3471 on: June 29, 2023, 11:48:50 AM »
Old fogey moment.  I clench my jaw when I sleep, it's usually stress-related.  I wear a mouthgard to protect against grinding my teeth as a result.  I woke up last night and felt that my jaw was clenched pretty hard.

So I'm yawning this morning after getting up early to work and felt a huge POP in my jaw.  Shooting pain goes from the joint in the jaw, through the muscles and into my tongue.  Sore jaw, hurts to talk or swallow.  Messaged my doctor and he says it's probably TMJ, which is just a fancy name for jaw popping and its associated pain.

So I get to ice/heat my jaw, pop a bunch of advils and treat it with icy hot.  How the hell does one injure themselves by yawning?  Guess I need to work on some stress relief strategies as well.   :censored
Yeah, that's some serious old man shit right there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3472 on: June 29, 2023, 12:10:27 PM »
You realize you're old when you can't explain how you got hurt. You just know your hurt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3473 on: June 29, 2023, 01:08:09 PM »
Seems like a topic for a future Scenes From a Hat...  "How did you hurt yourself?"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3474 on: June 29, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »
Looking for a bit of financial advice.

Victoria started a new job this week that pays $32K per year more than her previous one. Her last job really didn't want her to leave, so she's staying on part time. She'll be giving them 20 hours a week at $50 an hour. Long story short, between her significant bump and my modest increase this year, we'll be making $90K ish more this year than last.   

We're almost 9 years into our current house and have $110K left on the note (bought for $144K and currently Zestimated at $274K). I've got about $20K on a HELOC and she's got student loans. The wedding is in October and conversations about the future are well underway. We're always looking at new houses (or lots to build on) where we intend to raise the family and spend a good two decades or more.

My question is how to approach our debt while pursuing a new place to live. I've always been one to focus on paying down debt before most other things (there are exceptions), but it's really hard to save when you're throwing as much as you can at debt. Where should our focus be? I'm thankful for the equity we've gotten out of our house in such a short period of time, but I'd still like to have more of a down payment than that going into the next place. Is it an incredibly stupid move to back off what we're throwing at our debts in an effort to secure the type of property and house we want to live in? My debt is a bit high, but I've got a credit score of 805, so I'm not really worried in that regard.   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3475 on: June 29, 2023, 01:16:20 PM »
It was a long time ago, but I actually remember getting up in the morning and just starting my day.  If I'd done something really strenuous the day before, like help someone move some furniture or something, I might feel a bit sore, but that's to be expected.  Stretch a little more, get moving.

Somewhere along the way, I noticed I'd get up in the morning, and I'm moving slower, and there's random soreness or at least tiredness in my legs or arms (or both), and I didn't help anyone move yesterday, I didn't foolishly try to play volleyball for the first time in years or anything like that, I just feel kinda tired and sore.  I then I realize that it's been that way for a while.  At some point, I became old.  I'm not tired and sore from doing stuff, I'm just tired and sore all the time anyway, because my body is now old and tired.  What the fuck happened to me?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3476 on: June 29, 2023, 01:19:45 PM »
Grandchildren help. Seriously, chase a two-year-old around playing hide-and-seek/peek-a-boo for a few hours, take a nap with her after snack time and you'll feel much younger.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3477 on: June 29, 2023, 01:23:11 PM »
It was a long time ago, but I actually remember getting up in the morning and just starting my day.  If I'd done something really strenuous the day before, like help someone move some furniture or something, I might feel a bit sore, but that's to be expected.  Stretch a little more, get moving.

Somewhere along the way, I noticed I'd get up in the morning, and I'm moving slower, and there's random soreness or at least tiredness in my legs or arms (or both), and I didn't help anyone move yesterday, I didn't foolishly try to play volleyball for the first time in years or anything like that, I just feel kinda tired and sore.  I then I realize that it's been that way for a while.  At some point, I became old.  I'm not tired and sore from doing stuff, I'm just tired and sore all the time anyway, because my body is now old and tired.  What the fuck happened to me?

Most of my issues are stress-related, or lack of movement related.  I'm still in good shape, I just have a job that requires me to put in a lot of time in a desk chair.  I need to be better at stretching on a daily basis.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3478 on: June 29, 2023, 01:37:47 PM »
Stretching helps, as does getting up and moving.  Fortunately (relatively speaking) I'm on a med that makes me pee all the time, so I'm up once an hour or so anyway.  Before I go back to my desk, I try to take a moment to stretch and flex.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3479 on: June 29, 2023, 02:21:03 PM »

Victoria started a new job this week that pays $32K per year more than her previous one. Her last job really didn't want her to leave, so she's staying on part time. She'll be giving them 20 hours a week at $50 an hour. Long story short, between her significant bump and my modest increase this year, we'll be making $90K ish more this year than last.   

We're almost 9 years into our current house and have $110K left on the note (bought for $144K and currently Zestimated at $274K). I've got about $20K on a HELOC and she's got student loans. The wedding is in October and conversations about the future are well underway. We're always looking at new houses (or lots to build on) where we intend to raise the family and spend a good two decades or more.

My question is how to approach our debt while pursuing a new place to live. I've always been one to focus on paying down debt before most other things (there are exceptions), but it's really hard to save when you're throwing as much as you can at debt. Where should our focus be? I'm thankful for the equity we've gotten out of our house in such a short period of time, but I'd still like to have more of a down payment than that going into the next place. Is it an incredibly stupid move to back off what we're throwing at our debts in an effort to secure the type of property and house we want to live in? My debt is a bit high, but I've got a credit score of 805, so I'm not really worried in that regard.
You guys are young, so the answer for you might be different than the answer might be for me.

I would hesitate to give any advice, other than maybe talk to a CFP (Certified Financial Planner).  Also talk to your accountant to make sure your new income doesn't fuck you at tax time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3480 on: June 29, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »

What Hef said. Find a good financial planner, preferably one that is fee based.

You say your debt is a bit high. Other than your current mortgage and your HELOC, is there a lot else? because that mortgage and HELOC is virtually nothing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3481 on: July 03, 2023, 08:37:01 AM »

Frist things first....like Hef and Tim mentioned....talking with a professional that can really help you understand and break down your finances is always a good idea. It's pretty easy these days to suddenly realize you've over extended yourself and you've taken on too much financially.

I understand the drive and reason behind wanting to eliminate debt as fast as possible....get it off the board so to speak. But, we only live once. If there's a house/property that you guys are eyeing that you think will enhance your lives together, where you can create memories and start that foundation of living together as husband and wife....I'm in the camp of go for it. With the income you've described and everything I've learned about you through the years.....I think that you two could find a sweet spot where you're still paying down debt above the 'minimum' AND grab that property/house. You've never come off as someone who'd jump into an irresponsible investment /contract so I'm sure it'd be thought out....so that's why a meeting with a competent finacial advisor would help and (I'm sure you guys do this) a serious talk with Victoria about what you guys want your priorities to be.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3482 on: July 03, 2023, 07:33:36 PM »
1970's Things That Kids No Longer Do..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPpETHiltY

I was crying laughing at a few of these.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3483 on: July 04, 2023, 03:30:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's very much appreciated. My father's actually got a financial guy that he's been using for about two decades now. I got his info and set something up with him later this week to chat.

I understand the drive and reason behind wanting to eliminate debt as fast as possible....get it off the board so to speak. But, we only live once. If there's a house/property that you guys are eyeing that you think will enhance your lives together, where you can create memories and start that foundation of living together as husband and wife....I'm in the camp of go for it. With the income you've described and everything I've learned about you through the years.....I think that you two could find a sweet spot where you're still paying down debt above the 'minimum' AND grab that property/house. You've never come off as someone who'd jump into an irresponsible investment /contract so I'm sure it'd be thought out....so that's why a meeting with a competent finacial advisor would help and (I'm sure you guys do this) a serious talk with Victoria about what you guys want your priorities to be.

Idk... I bought $3500 worth of Rivian in Nov 2021  :lol
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 07:27:42 AM by Chino »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3484 on: July 19, 2023, 03:13:14 PM »
Welp - finally had my first full body skin check since the pandemic with a new dermatologist.  As someone with a history of basal cell carcinoma, I try to get in at least once a year.

I had two keratosis removed (doc called the barnacles which always feels great - not!) and one biopsy sent off to the lab.  Here's hoping it is not melanoma.  They doc said he was being overly cautious but women tend to get melanoma on their legs over every other body part so I now have a lovely divot on the top of my thigh. 

I also apparently have some rosacea on my face (thanks mom!) and he recommends some laser treatments which I'm sure will only cost me a few grand.   ::)

All those years of baby oil in the sun and tanning booths have finally caught up to me.  I figure every year now they will just take another chunk or two out of my hide.  :'(
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3485 on: July 19, 2023, 03:16:14 PM »

All those years of baby oil in the sun and tanning booths have finally caught up to me.  I figure every year now they will just take another chunk or two out of my hide.  :'(

Kind of like the smoking conversation, even back in the day, people had to know that tanning booths weren't good for them.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3486 on: July 19, 2023, 04:11:04 PM »
It's just how we are as humans.  I knowingly sometimes watch the pool and know I haven't put sunscreen on, or not wearing my sunglasses and just keep walking around the pool watching.  Fucking idiot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3487 on: July 19, 2023, 04:26:54 PM »
Welp - finally had my first full body skin check since the pandemic with a new dermatologist.  As someone with a history of basal cell carcinoma, I try to get in at least once a year.

I had two keratosis removed (doc called the barnacles which always feels great - not!) and one biopsy sent off to the lab.  Here's hoping it is not melanoma.  They doc said he was being overly cautious but women tend to get melanoma on their legs over every other body part so I now have a lovely divot on the top of my thigh. 

I also apparently have some rosacea on my face (thanks mom!) and he recommends some laser treatments which I'm sure will only cost me a few grand.   ::)

Mrs. P has had at least 20 Mohs surgeries (one on her shin was quite extensive and was a horror to heal). For at least 5 years she's had to go to the dermatologist every six months for other minor removals. About 2 years ago, the Doc gave her some topical chemo cream that she had to apply for a couple of weeks that would raise precancerous lesions to the surface and allow them to sluff off. Then she'd wait six weeks and do it again. It was pretty horrific (red rash) for the first year, this past year though, nothing bad has risen to the surface. At her last appointment, the Doc felt confident enough to have her back off to only annual checkups! 

Now we religiously put on 75 spf every time we go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3488 on: July 19, 2023, 04:55:45 PM »
That sounds horrible!  But I'm glad she's through the worst of it.

I sure hope the younger generation is learning from our mistakes in this area.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3489 on: July 19, 2023, 06:21:48 PM »

I'm sceptical on that.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3490 on: July 21, 2023, 02:46:55 PM »

They might be, but, like every generation, they're making their own set of mistakes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3491 on: August 10, 2023, 01:42:25 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3492 on: August 10, 2023, 01:50:51 PM »
I've read that the biggest hurdle to converting malls into living spaces is the building codes required for secondary exits incase of an emergency. It's easy to build a bunch of interior rooms in old stores with lots of floor space. Having access to a way outside should a fire start is a a bit trickier.   

I'm curious to see what the old malls become. I'm guessing aging community colleges are going to start scooping them up instead of renovating existing campuses. I wouldn't mind general entertainment venues. Load them up with bars and group activity places. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3493 on: August 10, 2023, 06:39:02 PM »
I wouldn't mind general entertainment venues. Load them up with bars and group activity places. 

Adult malls.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3494 on: August 10, 2023, 08:35:09 PM »
I'm guessing aging community colleges are going to start scooping them up instead of renovating existing campuses. I wouldn't mind general entertainment venues. Load them up with bars and group activity places.

Our county community college bought a vacant Lowe's store and converted 4/5 of it into a technology center, so you're not far off.  Though community colleges in this area don't really have budget problems and can expand with ease until they become completely land-locked. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3495 on: August 18, 2023, 05:41:01 PM »
Another fun thing about getting old:

Random hairs in random places on your body that go "My time has arrived!  I will now grow faster... longer... thicker... stronger!"

It's like some mutation gets triggered and BAM! mutant hair somewhere (including places that normally don't have hair.  WTF?)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: August 18, 2023, 06:15:41 PM »
I never lost hair, it just got a change of address.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3497 on: August 19, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »
Tell me about it. I think I trim my ear and nose hair more than anything else now. Never was even a thing until recent years. Drives me crazy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: August 19, 2023, 02:04:14 PM »
I just re-caulked the bathtub. Took off the old anti slip pads, put on new anti slip strips.

I really hate my knees, don't I?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: August 19, 2023, 02:52:08 PM »
I can't understand why the hair on my head are all jumping off like they are on a sinking ship yet I can grow a fucking jungle in my asscrack.  Like, WTF?!