Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 334532 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3325 on: October 06, 2022, 01:48:00 PM »
I'm 50 now, and you bet your sweet ass I deserve a "sir" from youngsters.

It's good to know that manners and respect are still out there....but, as I said....something in my head still makes it when I hear someone call me 'sir'...just not sound right to me? Maybe it's just straight denial that I'm of 'sir' age now but I don't believe I mind it all that much.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3326 on: October 06, 2022, 01:54:50 PM »
Sir has never bothered me. What else is someone supposed to call me when they're trying to be polite? Dude? Man? Guy?

You should see what I call Tim!  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3327 on: October 06, 2022, 02:00:56 PM »
Sir has never bothered me. What else is someone supposed to call me when they're trying to be polite? Dude? Man? Guy?

No, I get it. As I mentioned....it's just my inability gracefully accept I'm in the 'sir' realm of aging.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3328 on: October 06, 2022, 02:13:57 PM »
I don't feel like I've gotten a whole lot of "Sirs" yet, but I'm starting to see that we're hiring people now that I'm old enough to be their dad.  I just turned 45 last week, and was telling one of them that I've been a DT fan since 1992, and they were like, "Wow, that's cool.  I wasn't even born until 1997."  Damn kids!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3329 on: October 06, 2022, 03:34:25 PM »
I’m sure I’ve been called sir quite a bit over the last few years but never noticed it. No doubt I’ll hear it 100 times a day now that it’s been brought to my attention.  :lol
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3330 on: October 06, 2022, 05:17:29 PM »
I'm OK with sir. It is what it is. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3331 on: October 06, 2022, 05:24:22 PM »
Maybe it is just me, but I think more of "sir" as a term of respect, rather than a way of addressing an older person.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3332 on: October 06, 2022, 05:59:41 PM »
Maybe it is just me, but I think more of "sir" as a term of respect, rather than a way of addressing an older person.
Winner. I remember the first time somebody called me sir, small talk standing in line for BBQ, and it kind of took me aback because our respective ages were only like 40 and 35.  I was a peer--not an elder. Then it occurred to me that he was just one of the millions of Texans who were raised to address adults as sir and ma'am. Particularly if you're raised outside of a city, and I've no doubt this guy was, that sort of courtesy is instilled from a young age.

I actually appreciated it so much that my usage of sir and Ma'am increased tenfold after that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: October 06, 2022, 07:00:02 PM »
What prompted my post was that I was “Sir’d” by a Union welder today in the job site several times during a conversation.

I've noticed since I've been working in the trades that calling people "sir" seems to be a thing in the industry.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3334 on: October 06, 2022, 07:04:57 PM »
Sir has never really been a big deal. One side of my company is to call their managers by Mr. (last name), which was weird for me. So I would be paged Mr. (my last name).

Or some lady would say to their kid..."now give that to the man", meaning me. WTF? When did I become a man?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3335 on: October 06, 2022, 07:49:56 PM »
Winner. I remember the first time somebody called me sir, small talk standing in line for BBQ, and it kind of took me aback because our respective ages were only like 40 and 35.  I was a peer--not an elder. Then it occurred to me that he was just one of the millions of Texans who were raised to address adults as sir and ma'am. Particularly if you're raised outside of a city, and I've no doubt this guy was, that sort of courtesy is instilled from a young age.

I actually appreciated it so much that my usage of sir and Ma'am increased tenfold after that.

Well said. I use "sir" and "ma'am" often, simply as a matter of courtesy. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3336 on: October 07, 2022, 12:22:43 AM »
I have been thinking about this quite a lot lately. I don't actually feel like someone in their mid-40s (except when my back hurts, I need a nap, etc...). I am someone who's never had a "career"-type job with the associated salary, someone who prefers Panda Express and a Pepsi over foie gras and a Chardonnay, someone who is more comfortable on the couch with my kids than a dinner party with grown-ups. I see other people my age and think "now, that's a person in their middle age [for better or worse]" while I don't say that when I see myself in the mirror.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3337 on: October 07, 2022, 08:29:45 AM »

Maybe it's having respect for elders.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3338 on: October 07, 2022, 01:46:32 PM »
When I have kids in at work, it's not uncommon for some of the teenage age kids to call me 'sir' if I serve them or help them or whatever.  Calling the teachers sir is pretty normal so it just rubs off I guess.  I never really took it as an age thing but I will admit being called it by kids at 38 is amusing.  But teachers over here these days are almost as young as the kids sometimes so it's not really relative.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3339 on: October 09, 2022, 03:29:32 AM »
I don't feel like I've gotten a whole lot of "Sirs" yet, but I'm starting to see that we're hiring people now that I'm old enough to be their dad.  I just turned 45 last week, and was telling one of them that I've been a DT fan since 1992, and they were like, "Wow, that's cool.  I wasn't even born until 1997."  Damn kids!

I'm 49, not far off 50. Got into a conversation on Teams with somebody on my company's customer helpdesk a few weeks ago. Noticed he had some sort of death metal-styled t-shirt on so I mentioned it (I've got long hair so people generally think I'm into rock). He must have been mid-20s. Turns out he's a big Death fan so I reached into my vinyls and pulled out Spiritual Healing. He was beside himself with excitemement and admiration, "oh my god, is that the ORIGINAL release?!", he asked. I have honestly never felt so old as I did in that moment.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: October 09, 2022, 03:35:49 AM »
I have been thinking about this quite a lot lately. I don't actually feel like someone in their mid-40s (except when my back hurts, I need a nap, etc...). I am someone who's never had a "career"-type job with the associated salary, someone who prefers Panda Express and a Pepsi over foie gras and a Chardonnay, someone who is more comfortable on the couch with my kids than a dinner party with grown-ups. I see other people my age and think "now, that's a person in their middle age [for better or worse]" while I don't say that when I see myself in the mirror.

Comes into even sharper focus when you find yourself back on a dating site in your late 40s, believe me.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3341 on: December 24, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »
Had my first ever cystoscopy yesterday at my Urologist's office. Let me tell you, not a fan. Quite uncomfortable, especially when they move through the prostate. Wowzers, not a nice sensation. Turns out, I have BPH, otherwise known as an enlarged prostate. Might have something to do with the prostatitis attack I had recently. I'm on meds now to calm the muscles around the prostate and hopefully bring some relief.

It's wonderful getting old.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3342 on: December 24, 2022, 09:23:35 AM »
My best friend has been dealing with the same thing recently.  As with him, all I can do is offer my sympathy and best wishes.   :tup

(and I'm wondering if that's in my not to distant future.....)

I'm finally 99% over my sixteen day flu/cold....which used to last 7-10 days (my first since before the pandemic).  Even got a flu shot this year, which reminded me of a line in M*A*S*H:

Hawkeye:  "Margaret, remember that flu shot you gave me?  Well, it worked, I got it!"
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3343 on: January 11, 2023, 12:16:35 PM »
There will be no oscopy's of any kind for this crotchety old bastard.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3344 on: February 06, 2023, 12:54:37 PM »
I went to a barber yesterday.  Regular price was $17.  $14 for military/seniors/kids.  I got off the chair, and the guy charged me $14.

Sigh....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3345 on: February 06, 2023, 12:56:23 PM »
Nice. I have actually stopped going to the barber. My 20 y/o just puts the half inch clippers on and buzzes me. Got my hair cut Saturday.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3346 on: February 06, 2023, 01:05:39 PM »
Nice. I have actually stopped going to the barber. My 20 y/o just puts the half inch clippers on and buzzes me. Got my hair cut Saturday.

That's exactly what I do most of the time (I do it myself, with or without my 20yo's assistance).  I had a reason this time for wanting it done by a professional, though.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3347 on: February 06, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »
About six months ago, I did something I never, ever, thought I'd do. I stopped going to the barbershop/franchise haircutter, and have a monthly appointment with a family friend who is a hairstylist. My hair isn't difficult. I mean, it's your standard curly hair Italian thing. I keep it short. But to not have to wait for like 20 minutes to get it cut, or ask anyone to do it, it's like the best $40 a month I've ever spent. She charges 30, I give her 40, and I never have to wait, I'm in, I'm out, my hair looks good (at least as good as it can for us old fogeys), and I repeat...no waiting. Ever.

I was at this point six months ago where I told Mrs. Samsara that I was just going to have her start shaving my hair down to a 1 be done with it, just because I hated playing these games of being put on a list at Supercuts or GreatClips, or whatever run of the mill franchise is out there (or putting up with barbers who I just don't want to BS with). I went to like four different local places, on differing days of the week, and they were all like a 20 minute wait at minimum. I was done. Then my friend's soon-to-be daughter in law said she'd cut my hair, at the salon she rents a chair at, and I haven't looked back. Yeah, $40 a month for a short haircut is a little steep, but it's absolutely worth the saving of my time. Money well spent.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3348 on: February 06, 2023, 01:19:15 PM »
I'm glad I no longer have to worry about haircuts.

Of course, my razor budget may be higher than yours lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3349 on: February 06, 2023, 01:41:06 PM »

I have not gone to a barber/stylist in 26 years - more than 1/2 my life now.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3350 on: February 06, 2023, 01:42:24 PM »
June will mark 30 years for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3351 on: February 06, 2023, 01:46:34 PM »

Quit bragging.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3352 on: February 06, 2023, 01:54:10 PM »

Quit bragging.
Not bragging. 

Crying, maybe.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3353 on: February 06, 2023, 02:04:44 PM »
I'm never bitching about my short, curly hair ever again.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: February 06, 2023, 02:44:10 PM »

I have not gone to a barber/stylist in 26 years - more than 1/2 my life now.

:lol

When it's all on your pillow in every morning, who needs to go and have a haircut anyway!?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3355 on: February 07, 2023, 12:05:56 PM »
About six months ago, I did something I never, ever, thought I'd do. I stopped going to the barbershop/franchise haircutter, and have a monthly appointment with a family friend who is a hairstylist. My hair isn't difficult. I mean, it's your standard curly hair Italian thing. I keep it short. But to not have to wait for like 20 minutes to get it cut, or ask anyone to do it, it's like the best $40 a month I've ever spent. She charges 30, I give her 40, and I never have to wait, I'm in, I'm out, my hair looks good (at least as good as it can for us old fogeys), and I repeat...no waiting. Ever.

I was at this point six months ago where I told Mrs. Samsara that I was just going to have her start shaving my hair down to a 1 be done with it, just because I hated playing these games of being put on a list at Supercuts or GreatClips, or whatever run of the mill franchise is out there (or putting up with barbers who I just don't want to BS with). I went to like four different local places, on differing days of the week, and they were all like a 20 minute wait at minimum. I was done. Then my friend's soon-to-be daughter in law said she'd cut my hair, at the salon she rents a chair at, and I haven't looked back. Yeah, $40 a month for a short haircut is a little steep, but it's absolutely worth the saving of my time. Money well spent.

Before 2020, I would go to Great Clips once a month.  If you use their mobile app, you can check in online, see the wait time, and then not have to wait in the store.  When you arrive, you get bumped to the front of the line.  That was pretty painless.  When I was a younger, our family would go to a neighbor's house and pay them directly.  My parents still do that 30 years later.

In 2020, when our state closed barber shops and salons due to the pandemic, we bought professional style clippers and I just do it myself.  I buzz it down to a 1 to make it low maintenance and can clip it again when I need to.  I haven't spent money on a haircut in 3 years, my hair looks decent, and I save $20 a month.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3356 on: February 07, 2023, 06:59:38 PM »
Had my first ever cystoscopy yesterday at my Urologist's office. Let me tell you, not a fan. Quite uncomfortable, especially when they move through the prostate. Wowzers, not a nice sensation. Turns out, I have BPH, otherwise known as an enlarged prostate. Might have something to do with the prostatitis attack I had recently. I'm on meds now to calm the muscles around the prostate and hopefully bring some relief.

It's wonderful getting old.

I am 65 and was first diagnosed with BPH at the age of 40.  Basically it felt like a vice grip on my prostate.  I have been taking Saw Palmetto -standard extract for years and have no had another episode.  Back then and probably now, doctors question the effect of the supplement.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3357 on: February 22, 2023, 05:00:42 PM »
Anyone know if there is a correlation between getting older and giving less of a shit about things?

At first I thought it was just because I want/need to retire soon and so I stopped giving a shit about most things at work.

But now it is spilling into other areas of my life.  Is it just me?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3358 on: February 22, 2023, 05:01:32 PM »
Anyone know if there is a correlation between getting older and giving less of a shit about things?

At first I thought it was just because I want/need to retire soon and so I stopped giving a shit about most things at work.

It's not just you.  Trust me.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3359 on: February 22, 2023, 05:05:23 PM »

It's not just you.  Trust me.

Thank god!  I swear every day someone says something to me and the first thought I have is, "Who gives a shit?!?"  :lol
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad