Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 334220 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2800 on: March 22, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
Was thinking the same. Glad to hear many forumers are on a solid path. After a quick search I pulled this article, admittedly from 2019. This is awful.
Agreed!  Great to hear that so many of us here are in a good position to retire.  I truly feel blessed and fortunate to have had such a great career and opportunities in my life.  Especially when there are so many not so fortunate.  All thanks to my higher power, Jesus.

Was he matching your 401k too??   ;D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2801 on: March 23, 2021, 08:37:17 AM »
I'm going to do an old man 'get off my lawn' complaint session, just because I need to.

Few weeks ago I had a biopsy done on a spot on my back. It came back abnormal with a severity of moderate. A week later I was having a surgeon cut a slab out of my back. That was Wednesday. I now have a roughly 3 inch gash held shut by 6 large stitches in my back and it could not be more uncomfortable. Several nights of almost no sleep and I feel like a walking zombie right now. I went out for the first time yesterday since the procedure and that was a huge mistake. I was bent over the steering wheel like an old woman complaining the whole time I was in the car about the pain. It was brutal.

I might not even be done either. They sent the slab out for a biopsy and it might come back that I need more flesh removed. Really hoping he got it all because I'd really like to sleep again. Stitches don't come out until the 31st.

As a co-worker told me, sucks gettin' old.

Got the results of the biopsy of the slab removed from my back. Thankfully, the surgeon got it all and all that is left is to remove the stitches. Still have a week with these things in my back, so that sucks, but at least I know it will be over by then.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2802 on: March 23, 2021, 08:46:48 AM »
Still that's great news!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2803 on: March 23, 2021, 09:13:43 AM »
Yes, that's awesome!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2804 on: March 23, 2021, 10:52:08 AM »
Was thinking the same. Glad to hear many forumers are on a solid path. After a quick search I pulled this article, admittedly from 2019. This is awful.
Agreed!  Great to hear that so many of us here are in a good position to retire.  I truly feel blessed and fortunate to have had such a great career and opportunities in my life.  Especially when there are so many not so fortunate.  All thanks to my higher power, Jesus.

Was he matching your 401k too??   ;D
I give him the credit for ALL my success :)

Got the results of the biopsy of the slab removed from my back. Thankfully, the surgeon got it all and all that is left is to remove the stitches. Still have a week with these things in my back, so that sucks, but at least I know it will be over by then.
  Was it Non-melenoma?  I just had Mohl surgery on the left side of my temple for squamous non-melanoma skin cancer.  Have to have the same procedure on my right side next month.  Good to hear the surgeon got it all for you!!  Speedy recovery Brother!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2805 on: March 23, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »
I'm going to do an old man 'get off my lawn' complaint session, just because I need to.

Few weeks ago I had a biopsy done on a spot on my back. It came back abnormal with a severity of moderate. A week later I was having a surgeon cut a slab out of my back. That was Wednesday. I now have a roughly 3 inch gash held shut by 6 large stitches in my back and it could not be more uncomfortable. Several nights of almost no sleep and I feel like a walking zombie right now. I went out for the first time yesterday since the procedure and that was a huge mistake. I was bent over the steering wheel like an old woman complaining the whole time I was in the car about the pain. It was brutal.

I might not even be done either. They sent the slab out for a biopsy and it might come back that I need more flesh removed. Really hoping he got it all because I'd really like to sleep again. Stitches don't come out until the 31st.

Happy for you!   That must be a load off.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2806 on: March 23, 2021, 01:46:54 PM »

That's good to hear, hope you have a speedy recovery.

This is my thread too, these are my people.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2807 on: March 23, 2021, 03:08:45 PM »

Good result mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2808 on: March 23, 2021, 07:49:13 PM »
Thanks everyone.

It was not cancer, but they told me that it wasn't far off. Sounds like had I procrastinated any longer it might have progressed all the way to cancer. I now have to have yearly exams by the dermatologist to make sure I don't get more. Really hope this was a one time thing. It sucks hard.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: March 24, 2021, 07:29:59 AM »
PP,

Over the last five years or so, Mrs. P has had probably 30 or more of those slice biopsies and at least 6 Mohs Surgeries like you had. She spent her youth sun tanning religiously with baby oil... The Mohs she had on her left shin was the worst. She ended up having plastic surgery to minimize the scar left by that one. It's been horrific to just be an observer of, so while I can't say I've felt your pain, I can sympathies by caring for someone with skin cancer issues.

I suspect you dermatologist wants to see you frequently now that you've had a bad occurrence. Right?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2810 on: March 24, 2021, 08:09:56 AM »
PP,

Over the last five years or so, Mrs. P has had probably 30 or more of those slice biopsies and at least 6 Mohs Surgeries like you had. She spent her youth sun tanning religiously with baby oil... The Mohs she had on her left shin was the worst. She ended up having plastic surgery to minimize the scar left by that one. It's been horrific to just be an observer of, so while I can't say I've felt your pain, I can sympathies by caring for someone with skin cancer issues.

I suspect you dermatologist wants to see you frequently now that you've had a bad occurrence. Right?

For now, it's yearly. I guess that could change depending on things go.

My biggest issue is I let it get too big before finally listening to my doctor. I own that. To hear the surgeon immediately mention how big the thing was didn't make me feel great. I can't even tell how many anesthetic injections he had to give me just to remove the patch. It was a lot.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2811 on: March 24, 2021, 06:23:58 PM »
Im old....
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: March 24, 2021, 08:14:59 PM »
Im old....
welcome to the club    :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2814 on: March 25, 2021, 06:48:08 AM »
PP,

For now, it's yearly. I guess that could change depending on things go.

My biggest issue is I let it get too big before finally listening to my doctor. I own that. To hear the surgeon immediately mention how big the thing was didn't make me feel great. I can't even tell how many anesthetic injections he had to give me just to remove the patch. It was a lot.

I can definitely relate to putting things off with doctors and dentists alike.  I would always wait until I couldn't stand one more minute of the tooth ache then I would finally make the appointment.  But after going through a few of those, with all of them ending in root canals (I've had 7), I found that ultimately I will suffer a lot less pain if I just contact the dentist the minute anything feels wrong.  Even though I've still ended up having to get root canals, I didn't have to deal with taking antibiotics for a week while I try to dull the pain with non-narcotic pain meds.  I'm an addict, I can't have any narcotics, I'm allergic to narcotics.  Every time I use narcotics I break out in cuffs.  :police: 

By avoiding going to the dentist to deal with a toothache it ended up costing me a week of having to live with that toothache pain with only Advil or Tylenol to take the edge off while I ran through the course of antibiotics to get rid of the infection and clear the abscess.  That was the cost.  A week of that suffering.  So I stopped avoiding the dentist and it's just much less painful in the end.

Remember what it felt like during that period of time when you still did not know the results of the biopsy?  The not knowing.  Considering the possibility that it could be malignant. That had to suck for you.  Big time.  Don't forget what it felt like.

I know what that's like having had two liver biopsies to measure the fibrosity of my cirrhosis.  Stage 4 means irreversible liver failure is coming at some point; you go on the transplant list.  As it turned out I was on the bubble at the high end of the range for Stage 2, not quite high enough to be classified as Stage 3 but close.  A manageable condition, but not without symptoms like frequent nausea and vomiting.  Now here's the point of telling you all of this: I knew there was something wrong with me LONG before I ever mentioned anything to the doctors.  Had I said something sooner I might not puke pretty much every day at least once.  That was the cost of my fear and inaction.  And it's a lifetime subscription.  Liver cirrhosis doesn't reverse itself and it can't be fixed.

I didn't tell you all that looking for sympathy, I've long made my peace with it.  I thought it was worth mentioning after what you just went through.  It's a real-life cautionary tale. 

These days I don't fuck around when it comes to my teeth or my general health.  I eat mostly healthy stuff, exercise every day, no booze, no drugs, although I've been known to puff the peace pipe from time to time.  Doctor said I can live to be 100 with this liver but I will probably always have the nausea and vomiting, it's a classic symptom of cirrhosis.

Don't make the mistake of putting off medical and dental stuff.  Get out in front of it the minute you can.  You'll never regret doing that route.  Never.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:57:56 AM by kirksnosehair »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2815 on: March 25, 2021, 08:07:44 AM »
Totally get it. The thing is, I've been on the straight and narrow with doctors for some time now. For some reason, I slacked on this one thing. I have a hereditary issue with triglycerides that I have had to be on top of since I was around 24. I could be the most healthy eater in the world and my triglycerides would still be dangerously high. For some time, my doctor could not figure out what was causing the health issues I was having (my hands froze up and I couldn't even grasp a pen). Turns out, I had so much fat in my blood it was starting to restrict flow. Thankfully, it manifested itself in my hands first. My doctor at the time said he couldn't believe I hadn't had a massive heart attack already. Cholesterol has never been an issue, just the triglycerides.

Since then I get yearly physicals and blood work so I can get my med refills to control the triglycerides. I get teeth cleaning's every 6 months from my dentist, etc. I honestly can't give a reason why I ignored this dermatology thing. Now I will have yearly exams going forward.

As we get older, this point gets more prescient, don't slack off - See the doctor.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2816 on: March 25, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
Good man  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: March 25, 2021, 12:48:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing (seriously).  It's a lesson I'm still sort of learning (at 53).

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2818 on: May 01, 2021, 12:05:06 PM »
Stick a fork in me....I'm dun!

Bittersweet night last night. It was my last actual working shift, I have 6 sick days to burn now to lead me up to my May 12th exit interview. The crew made an awesome filet mignon dinner, and they are throwing me a nice Retirement shindig at one of our local bar and grills on Tuesday. It felt kinda unreal walking out of the refinery this morning. I KNEW I would never go through those turnstiles again, but everything still seemed so ordinary and routine. I guess it will take some time to sink in. The bittersweetness comes with the knowledge that the last couple shifts are the last time I will probably see some of my long time coworkers ever again. Seeing we're heading out to Florida. I think this will take awhile to sink in, but.... It's definitely a good thing!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: May 01, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »

Bittersweet night last night. It was my last actual working shift, I have 6 sick days to burn now to lead me up to my May 12th exit interview. The crew made an awesome filet mignon dinner, and they are throwing me a nice Retirement shindig at one of our local bar and grills on Tuesday. It felt kinda unreal walking out of the refinery this morning. I KNEW I would never go through those turnstiles again, but everything still seemed so ordinary and routine. I guess it will take some time to sink in. The bittersweetness comes with the knowledge that the last couple shifts are the last time I will probably see some of my long time coworkers ever again. Seeing we're heading out to Florida. I think this will take awhile to sink in, but.... It's definitely a good thing!!!!

Congrats!!!  And yeah, I know the feeling of 'heading out and never seeing some of those people again'.  It is indeed bittersweet.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2820 on: May 01, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »

Congrats! I'm glad you got the big sendoff/retirement party. I looked forward to getting something like that but never got the chance. After 33 years at my bank, all I got was the big pink slip and my boss escorting me to the elevators. Surreal in a different way. All bitter, no sweet.

Enjoy!!!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: May 01, 2021, 04:32:36 PM »
Congrats! I'm glad you got the big sendoff/retirement party. I looked forward to getting something like that but never got the chance. After 33 years at my bank, all I got was the big pink slip and my boss escorting me to the elevators. Surreal in a different way. All bitter, no sweet.

Enjoy!!!
Well... that totally sucks.  I can't imagine that after 33 years!  Talk about the thankless corporate entity.  Sorry you went through that.  My timing might be fortuitous with the way my industry is going in California.  I worry for the coworkers I just left behind.  That they might not survive the next takeover.  We've been through 4 in the last 20 years and things degrade with each one.

Congrats!!!  And yeah, I know the feeling of 'heading out and never seeing some of those people again'.  It is indeed bittersweet.
Thanks Brother!!!!  Definitely gonna miss my gang.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2822 on: May 01, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »
Congrats Sunrise!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2823 on: May 25, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
So back on March 27th I was fishing in a Bass tournament at Table Rock Lake, and my buddy and I weren't really doing too hot in the tourney. We were having fun but couldn't put ourselves on any fish. At one point we were fishing along side some bluffs in about 90 foot of water just seeing if maybe they were holding tight to the bluffs.

A few hundred yards down the bluffs we saw a family had anchored next to them in a pontoon boat and their kids were swinging off of this rope swing out into the water. They eventually left, and we eventually made it to the section where the rope swing was. Being bored and still a kid at heart, I jumped out onto a rock cropping on the bluff and grabbed the swing, and swung out over our boat a couple times. I was never going to let go as I didn't want to get wet....just screwing around and swinging out over the water. Some video was taken and laughs were had...no big deal.

Later that night I noticed my right shoulder was really hurting me and I chalked it up to an overweight 45 year old man suddenly demanding his shoulder face the burden of making sure I didn't fall in the water. Thing is....it just never got better. In fact, with each passing day it was worse and worse. I mean, this puppy was sore as all heck and I wasn't doing it any favors by continuing to play ice hockey on Sunday nights. The pain got so severe that I started to worry I tore something and really damaged it.

Well, about two weeks ago I decided to start blasting my shoulder with an E-Stimulator. I remembered back when I had tennis elbow a few years ago that I used an E-Stim and that tennis elbow disappeared quickly. As I sit here today the pain has subsided ten fold. I can still feel some kinks and discomfort but I'm able to lift my arm without wincing again and I can feel it getting better each day. At least at this point I cancelled my Dr. appointment to get the shoulder evaluated because it feels that much better. I'm thinking another week or so of E-Stim treatment and I'll be good to go.

Anyone else ever use an E-Stim for any ailments? This will be twice now that it has drastically sped up the healing process....and I'm guessing in both instances it was just muscle strain/damage that was the issue. No real structural damage...which helped.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2824 on: May 25, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »
I google imaged e stimulator.. :lol Bad idea.

What kind of thing do you use Gary?

My shoulder is always hurting. The ortho said I have an impingement. An impingement? That's the kind of thing I laugh at pro athletes missing time for.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2825 on: May 25, 2021, 03:48:27 PM »
Oh, and speaking of old, my youngest son graduates high school on Friday.

Will post in the Proud Parent Thread over the weekend.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2826 on: May 25, 2021, 04:10:03 PM »
So fast Tim. Where does the time go?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: May 25, 2021, 04:54:09 PM »
Yeah, gimme a link to this e-stim thing - I'm not making the same mistake Tim did.  If it's working for you the way you say, I could go for something like that on a couple of spots that I have these nagging aches and pains (nothing as dramatic as yours, but they just won't go away).  I've been taking some muscle/joint supplements that are helping slowly/surely, but they ain't cheap.  They are also doing a good job at managing mrs.jingle's back muscle issues (recurring inflammation).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: May 25, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »
Yeah, gimme a link to this e-stim thing - I'm not making the same mistake Tim did.  If it's working for you the way you say, I could go for something like that on a couple of spots that I have these nagging aches and pains (nothing as dramatic as yours, but they just won't go away).  I've been taking some muscle/joint supplements that are helping slowly/surely, but they ain't cheap.  They are also doing a good job at managing mrs.jingle's back muscle issues (recurring inflammation).

Just texted you a link. Will try to post one here when I get home.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: May 26, 2021, 07:52:43 AM »
So back on March 27th I was fishing in a Bass tournament at Table Rock Lake, and my buddy and I weren't really doing too hot in the tourney. We were having fun but couldn't put ourselves on any fish. At one point we were fishing along side some bluffs in about 90 foot of water just seeing if maybe they were holding tight to the bluffs.

A few hundred yards down the bluffs we saw a family had anchored next to them in a pontoon boat and their kids were swinging off of this rope swing out into the water. They eventually left, and we eventually made it to the section where the rope swing was. Being bored and still a kid at heart, I jumped out onto a rock cropping on the bluff and grabbed the swing, and swung out over our boat a couple times. I was never going to let go as I didn't want to get wet....just screwing around and swinging out over the water. Some video was taken and laughs were had...no big deal.

Later that night I noticed my right shoulder was really hurting me and I chalked it up to an overweight 45 year old man suddenly demanding his shoulder face the burden of making sure I didn't fall in the water. Thing is....it just never got better. In fact, with each passing day it was worse and worse. I mean, this puppy was sore as all heck and I wasn't doing it any favors by continuing to play ice hockey on Sunday nights. The pain got so severe that I started to worry I tore something and really damaged it.

Well, about two weeks ago I decided to start blasting my shoulder with an E-Stimulator. I remembered back when I had tennis elbow a few years ago that I used an E-Stim and that tennis elbow disappeared quickly. As I sit here today the pain has subsided ten fold. I can still feel some kinks and discomfort but I'm able to lift my arm without wincing again and I can feel it getting better each day. At least at this point I cancelled my Dr. appointment to get the shoulder evaluated because it feels that much better. I'm thinking another week or so of E-Stim treatment and I'll be good to go.

Anyone else ever use an E-Stim for any ailments? This will be twice now that it has drastically sped up the healing process....and I'm guessing in both instances it was just muscle strain/damage that was the issue. No real structural damage...which helped.

So, long story short, I had the same sort of problem with my shoulder.  I even went to a specialist who was going to operate.  It's not structural, as you say (like a roatator tear) but the capsule of the shoulder gets inflamed, and basically constricts around the ball of the arm bone.  Then cartilage forms and it restricts movement and causes pain.  The surgery basically "slices" the cartilage and removes the pressure, and rehab lets it heal in the "right place".   Well, I did rehab before the surgery, and was scheduled to do it after.  A week before the surgery, I got really bad poison ivy on both arms (if I can find the picture, I'll post, but it was GROSS) and because I needed steroids, they postponed the surgery.  I continued the physical therapy, and also used my wife's e stimulator (cue Beavis and Butthead snickers), and lo and behold, the shoulder got better.  I never did have the surgery, and while motion isn't 100%, it's damn near 90, and I don't do anything that would justify surgery for that last 100 (which they can't guarantee anyway). 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: May 26, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »

Just texted you a link. Will try to post one here when I get home.

This is what I bought and have used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q32KX3J?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2831 on: May 26, 2021, 09:38:07 PM »
That's not nearly as exciting as the things that came up when googling.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2832 on: May 27, 2021, 10:05:44 AM »
From those of us who are over 50, news flash.  40 isn't old.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: June 02, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
From those of us who are over 50, news flash.  40 isn't old.
My body is screaming at me "50 is the new 70"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: June 11, 2021, 06:24:42 AM »
I dropped this in the Netflix thread, but then thought here might be the more appropriate place for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcOc8wL4k8