Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336794 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2765 on: March 07, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »
While I'm in my 30's too, I find it hard to comprehend.  I'd seriously have no idea what I would do with my time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2766 on: March 07, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »
I'm 54, and while I work, and have no plans for retirement just yet, it's not about "what would I do with my time".   If I was to retire tomorrow, I'd be just as busy in a different way.  My stepson would have that fire pit he's been longing for since he moved in, that Subaru he wants to rebuild the engine on would be running, I'd be more diligent in putting down songs for my "midlife crisis album", I'd do that two-week "ancestry" tour of Central Europe, my Beatles tour of England, etc. etc.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2767 on: March 07, 2021, 04:19:44 PM »
I have definitely always been 100% in the "Work to Live" and not the "Live to Work" camp.  I don't think I will have any worries about keeping myself mentally stimulated enough.  Even when I was younger!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2768 on: March 07, 2021, 07:21:24 PM »
I have definitely always been 100% in the "Work to Live" and not the "Live to Work" camp.  I don't think I will have any worries about keeping myself mentally stimulated enough.  Even when I was younger!

Same... I think.  I know that I can easily fill my time over a 1-2 week vacation.  Not sure how I'd fare for 1-2 decades.  I'd have to find some more hobbies, maybe some part-time work for something that is a time filler - but has to be something I'd fully enjoy without reservation.  Oh, and vacations and travel. Lots of that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2769 on: March 07, 2021, 07:26:03 PM »

Same... I think.  I know that I can easily fill my time over a 1-2 week vacation.  Not sure how I'd fare for 1-2 decades.  I'd have to find some more hobbies, maybe some part-time work for something that is a time filler - but has to be something I'd fully enjoy without reservation.  Oh, and vacations and travel. Lots of that.

I've honestly never really imagined being retired.  I think I'd still have a part time job or something.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: March 07, 2021, 07:32:55 PM »

I've honestly never really imagined being retired.  I think I'd still have a part time job or something.

I've always thought it would be fun to be a golf course Ranger.  Drive around all day, shoot the shit with people, tell the slow hackers to hurry the fuck up  :lol.  Though, I get the sense golf is a dying activity/past-time.  There's enough wineries around here I could do something related to that... not a maker or sommelier or anything intense like that - tour host, driver, delivery, something simple.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2771 on: March 07, 2021, 07:37:16 PM »

I've always thought it would be fun to be a golf course Ranger.  Drive around all day, shoot the shit with people, tell the slow hackers to hurry the fuck up  :lol.  Though, I get the sense golf is a dying activity/past-time.  There's enough wineries around here I could do something related to that... not a maker or sommelier or anything intense like that - tour host, driver, delivery, something simple.

Ticket taker :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: March 07, 2021, 08:22:23 PM »

This will be me.  Even retired I think I'll still do something casual.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2773 on: March 08, 2021, 06:00:12 AM »
I dont see how retiring before 65 is even an option for me. The lack of medical insurance through an employer just seems so daunting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: March 08, 2021, 06:58:44 AM »
My Dad had a good gig when he went to Florida; when in Connecticut, before he got sick, he used to build houses, and has a lot of experience in residential construction.  He went and got his contractor's license (a very valuable thing in Florida), and a company that builds high end ($5M+) homes in the SW Florida area hired him to be a regional supervisor, in part to have another licensed person on payroll.  They gave him a Jeep with a phone and a radio and he drove from site to site not managing any one particular job or crew, but being available to problem-solve and trouble shoot for the foremen of each job/crew.   Something new every day, not stuck to a desk, and if need be, he could make his doctor's appointments and what not.   He did that for probably 12, 15 years after moving down there.  He's not one to take advantage, but if he was, I imagine he could have sit and watched NCIS reruns and Days Of Our Lives all day and still would have been valuable.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: March 08, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
I dont see how retiring before 65 is even an option for me.

The retirement age for men in my country is 65, and the life expectancy is around the same number I think. Fun times, but we'll see how it goes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2776 on: March 08, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »
I dont see how retiring before 65 is even an option for me.

The retirement age for men in my country is 65, and the life expectancy is around the same number I think. Fun times, but we'll see how it goes.

There are still a LOT of people in the United States that believe to retire is to die.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2777 on: March 08, 2021, 09:53:17 AM »
I can't wait to retire.  And I love my job.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2778 on: March 08, 2021, 10:07:57 AM »
Same.  If I could retire today I would do it in a New York second and I also love my job.

I've got 10 years to go still so can't really entertain the thought but we're planning.  I've got a 401k I've been paying into since 2000 and with another 10 years of putting in the max and my company matching it every year we'll be able to live where we want to live which is in the Breckenridge, Colorado area.  Probably Frisco, the next town over.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: March 08, 2021, 10:25:30 AM »
I can't wait to retire.  And I love my job.

Same.  I don't mind to keep working so long as I'm enjoying it.  I mean, the money is good and if working a couple more years beyond what I 'have' to will allow me a more comfortable lifestyle for the 'retirement' years/decades, I'm ok with that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2780 on: March 08, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »
My job is not bad, but I wouldn't say I love it. Still got at least 10 more years to go but if I could retire tomorrow I would absolutely do it.

Just the amount of music I want to check out would keep me busy the first couple of years in my retirement  :D and then there are a lot of other things I'd like to do and a lot of places I'd like to travel when I finally get the time.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: March 08, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
My job is not bad, but I wouldn't say I love it. Still got at least 10 more years to go but if I could retire tomorrow I would absolutely do it.

Just the amount of music I want to check out would keep me busy the first couple of years in my retirement  :D and then there are a lot of other things I'd like to do and a lot of places I'd like to travel when I finally get the time.

Sound like someone needs to run a roulette!!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2782 on: March 08, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
You keep saying that. I'll probably do it once I'm retired.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: March 08, 2021, 11:52:41 AM »
You keep saying that. I'll probably do it once I'm retired.  ;D

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: March 09, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
I dont see how retiring before 65 is even an option for me. The lack of medical insurance through an employer just seems so daunting.
It's definitely a big thing.  Luckily I have my company ins. till 65.  I do have a friend who's retired though that says his Obamacare is pretty cheap, because of the lower amount he brings home annually.  Might be something to look at.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2785 on: March 20, 2021, 07:54:40 AM »
Hi, I just joined this club today.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2786 on: March 20, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
Welcome.   And now take a nap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2787 on: March 20, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »
All the retirement talk is making me jealous. I find it interesting that it seems like everyone here has done very well with their retirement investing. Considering half of people over age 50 have nothing at all saved for retirement, the fact that it seems like everyone here will be ready early is kind of cool!

I turn 40 in a couple months (don't kick me out of the thread please!) and am gunning for retirement in my mid-50s. Or at least reaching financial independence. I have no idea if I'll actually stop working at that point, I just want it to be an option. I'm sure I'll do something to keep busy. I'd love for it to be earlier, but I don't think that will happen with 4 kids and wife who doesn't work.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2788 on: March 20, 2021, 08:35:53 AM »
Welcome.   And now take a nap.

I just got home from work.  A nap sounds good to me  :lol
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2789 on: March 20, 2021, 09:05:21 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2790 on: March 20, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »
"I love a good nap. Sometimes it's the only thing getting me up in the morning." -George Costanza

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2791 on: March 20, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »
All the retirement talk is making me jealous. I find it interesting that it seems like everyone here has done very well with their retirement investing. Considering half of people over age 50 have nothing at all saved for retirement, the fact that it seems like everyone here will be ready early is kind of cool!

I turn 40 in a couple months (don't kick me out of the thread please!) and am gunning for retirement in my mid-50s. Or at least reaching financial independence. I have no idea if I'll actually stop working at that point, I just want it to be an option. I'm sure I'll do something to keep busy. I'd love for it to be earlier, but I don't think that will happen with 4 kids and wife who doesn't work.

I am 56 and am looking at retiring in Jan. 2023 because I will have been with the State 5 years and can retire and buy insurance from the State until I am ready for Medicare. Fuck I am ready! I could do it now if it weren't for insurance which is why I want Medicare for all!  :metal

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2792 on: March 21, 2021, 03:50:08 PM »
I'm going to do an old man 'get off my lawn' complaint session, just because I need to.

Few weeks ago I had a biopsy done on a spot on my back. It came back abnormal with a severity of moderate. A week later I was having a surgeon cut a slab out of my back. That was Wednesday. I now have a roughly 3 inch gash held shut by 6 large stitches in my back and it could not be more uncomfortable. Several nights of almost no sleep and I feel like a walking zombie right now. I went out for the first time yesterday since the procedure and that was a huge mistake. I was bent over the steering wheel like an old woman complaining the whole time I was in the car about the pain. It was brutal.

I might not even be done either. They sent the slab out for a biopsy and it might come back that I need more flesh removed. Really hoping he got it all because I'd really like to sleep again. Stitches don't come out until the 31st.

As a co-worker told me, sucks gettin' old.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2793 on: March 21, 2021, 04:48:03 PM »
Shit man, your discomfort now is certainly a PITA, but I really hope all of the tests work our for you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: March 21, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »
Shit man, your discomfort now is certainly a PITA, but I really hope all of the tests work our for you.

Yeah... that was my thought too, Prof.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2795 on: March 21, 2021, 04:56:54 PM »

Thanks, man.

Since sitting and laying down are not particularly awesome, I am trying to occupy myself with random tasks around the house. I don't have enough of a functioning brain to devote to watching a show or anything. Just have my Plex music server on random and trying to do some organization that I have wanted to do. Mainly, needed to clear more space for CD's. My desk had stacks of new discs on it that needed a home. Slowly packing away old DVD's as my music overtakes everything. Anything to occupy myself. I feel like I am going to take a header into my keyboard just typing this. Ah, Armored Saint just came on. That woke me up.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2796 on: March 21, 2021, 05:08:04 PM »
Armored Saint is viagra for the ears.  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: March 21, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »
I find it interesting that it seems like everyone here has done very well with their retirement investing. Considering half of people over age 50 have nothing at all saved for retirement, the fact that it seems like everyone here will be ready early is kind of cool!

Was thinking the same. Glad to hear many forumers are on a solid path. After a quick search I pulled this article, admittedly from 2019. This is awful.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/survey-finds-42-americans-retire-100701878.html

I have never enjoyed working and will savor the day I no longer have to. Fortunately my wife loves working and will probably work in some educational capacity in to her 70s. Her district should have her set up once she hits 65 (I think that is the date) and coupled with how much I put away, I am hoping our elder years are comfortable. I don't want to go on any grand adventures, tour the world, or any of that - though I might feel differently when the time comes. I just want to stop working at a reasonable age and maintain a reasonable lifestyle, while making sure my kids are taken care of as well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2798 on: March 21, 2021, 07:58:48 PM »
I can retire in two years, but if I want to max out my pension I need to work another 7 years. I've been working from home since the pandemic started, and that sure makes the daily grind a little easier to handle. That’s helping me feel like I can work longer than two years, but I will see how I feel when I get there.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: March 22, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
Was thinking the same. Glad to hear many forumers are on a solid path. After a quick search I pulled this article, admittedly from 2019. This is awful.
Agreed!  Great to hear that so many of us here are in a good position to retire.  I truly feel blessed and fortunate to have had such a great career and opportunities in my life.  Especially when there are so many not so fortunate.  All thanks to my higher power, Jesus.