Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 335023 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2695 on: August 07, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
How old are you, Mike?

"I forgot" is not an answer. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2696 on: August 08, 2020, 06:36:37 AM »
How old are you, Mike?

I will be 63 on August 12th

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2697 on: August 08, 2020, 06:50:33 AM »
Oh man, Lisa and I laugh at each other about the short term stuff. We both say, "What a couple we will be in 20 years."

It's scary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2698 on: August 08, 2020, 06:53:09 AM »
Mrs.jingle doesn’t get how I can remember Seinfeld dialogue verbatim, but then forget something she told me the day before. .
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2699 on: August 08, 2020, 07:01:05 AM »
How old are you, Mike?

I will be 63 on August 12th

Oh wow!

Well in that case, "I forgot" might be appropriate. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: August 08, 2020, 07:05:54 AM »
Mrs.jingle doesn’t get how I can remember Seinfeld dialogue verbatim, but then forget something she told me the day before. .

Heard this song and dance as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #2701 on: August 08, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
Reading the last couple of pages has given me a bit to think about, really. I never really have ventured into this thread much, but it popped up again to the top with new posts, so I figured what the hell.

I turned 40 in January, and while I’m not bothered by getting older, this year has been a bit more reflective than past ones. Really, I’ve been pretty fortunate n that age hasn’t hit me too hard yet. I’m still able to do all I want to do, and my running speed is still actually improving. For a while, though, I’ve noticed that my recovery time is definitely starting to slow up a bit, and it’s especially starting to hit this year. If I hit a run balls to the wall for even just a few miles, I’m wiped out and worthless for a week. Injury recovery also isn’t what it used to be, either. Marathon training last year had me fighting some pretty nagging Achilles tendinitis for months up until the actual race  Little things like that. Like I said, I’m still quite able bodied and feel fortunate to be that way, but I’m starting to notice stuff I didn’t have to worry about before.

I used to say all the time, “You’re only as old as you feel,” me of those naive things you say when you feel invincible. The “I’m always going to feel young and energetic” attitude. And it’s true in a sense, but at some point, time is going to catch up to everyone. Including me. It could be at 50. Could be at 55 or 60. Or even 41. Who knows? But the past couple of pages got me to thinking, when am I going to be Jack Nicholson walking out of that doctor’s office and asking out of nowhere, “What if this is as good as it gets?” When does that happen in my life, where I’m as good as I’m going to be physically? Mentally? Spiritually and emotionally? It’s a thought that gave me pause.

A few posts previous mentioned being content with where you are, instead of where you want to be. And while growth and improvement is certainly something I always strive for, there’s going to be a ceiling somewhere in certain aspects. I’ve always been one who strives, to the point of perfectionism especially in my 20s from which I’m gradually learning to tone it down. But learning to watch things eventually decline and accept it as a part of life is going to be a process. All I know is that I don’t want to be like my dad who always bitched about how he used to be able to this or could do that better than now. There’s something to aging gracefully that’s admirable to me, and while it’ll be a process, that will probably be what I eventually strive for. Even when the body is failing, the soul can still grow.

It’s also that aging gracefully that I want to exemplify for my son. I joined the parent game late, as my first (and only so far) was born when I was 39 last year (ancient in the terms of a Utahn, where I grew up). We plan on a second, but hot damn, the thought of that is exhausting at times. Whoever said that kids have endless batteries was not kidding, and I sometimes wonder how much more energy I’d have if I’d started earlier. And how long my batteries will last as we all get older. Again, not a complaint as I know I’m pretty well as is, but just a muse about the realities of life.

I guess all I can do is make the best of whatever situations arise, and enjoy all the little moments *in* the moment, recognizing them for what they are. And dammit, just be nice to people. ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: August 08, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
Welcome to the club.  Anxiously await your defining story of “yup, my body just reminded me I’m 40”. And damn... I couldn’t imagine having a toddler at that age. I’m 48, and the jingle.kids turn 20 next week. I’m so thankful I can focus the energy I do have into myself and Mrs.jingle, and am not “raising” children. The thought of having a 9 year old to raise right now gives me chills. Kudos to you... you’re a better man than I!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2703 on: September 07, 2020, 07:41:02 PM »
When we bought our house 11 years ago, there were 13 trees in my backyard.  We've had a number of them removed - there was a big cluster of 4-5 in the center of the yard that we reduced to two trees.  We took out one behind the shed.  That opened up the backyard to get more sunlight - the farthest part of the yard had no sun, because of our tree canopy combined with the neighbor's.  Therefore, no grass would grow back there.

The sides of the yard were lined with 5 and 4 pine trees, spaced about 6-10 feet apart each.  There was no privacy fence, just a split-rail, so they were intended for privacy.  Over time, they started growing into each other, or growing underneath the neighbor's trees.  They were too close together and the trees weren't doing well at all, with lots of dead limbs because they were too close together.  We also put in a privacy fence, so we don't need that many trees lining the yard.   This summer, we had 5 of the 9 trees removed, leaving two on each side.  I didn't have the stumps removed, opting to take them out myself.

Naturally, the chainsaw that I inherited is impossibly complicated to get started, so I started whacking the stumps with an ax and splitting maul yesterday.  Today, I took my sawzall to two of the stumps, scoring them enough to chip away with the ax and then using the saw blade to cut chunks out of the stumps and get them below grade.  Thankfully, the stumps were only 3-4 inches above grade, so I didn't have too much to cut away.

My arms are now dead.  I probably swung the ax 200 times today and spent a good 90 minutes pushing and pulling on the sawzall.  I haven't used those muscles in ages and it shows.  I can't raise my right arm up over my head.  I've been completely exhausted since I finished working on the second stump.

I'm definitely feeling older today and I have a bad feeling I'll be really sore tomorrow.  And I still have 3 stumps to go....I'll be borrowing a better chainsaw to make those cuts a lot quicker and save some wear and tear on my arms.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2704 on: September 07, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »
Man, that amount of work would leave anyone sore - even a youngling.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: September 07, 2020, 08:46:07 PM »
Yeah, the arms and shoulders and blades will be sore for days.

My Achilles on my right foot is sore and sore to the touch. I ice it. Nothing is helping. it's hurting me walking which I need to do around the neighborhood. 

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2706 on: September 08, 2020, 06:53:42 AM »
Compression socks!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2707 on: November 20, 2020, 08:14:55 PM »
The Celtics traded Enes Kanter today..

So tonight, my son says to me.."Did you read any of the Enes Kanter's thank you messages to the Celtics?"
To which I replied..." I hadn't, what'd he say?"

Then my son says of all things... "You can look it up on Twitter."

I was like, "I can do WUT??"

He started laughing. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2708 on: November 20, 2020, 08:22:30 PM »
Tell your sons dude older than you agrees and pisedhis pants laughing because it's true. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2709 on: November 20, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
After I said, "I can do WUT?", he actually muttered "Oh yeah". :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: November 20, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »
It's hilarious to know your children know more about technology than their dad. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2711 on: November 20, 2020, 08:33:16 PM »
It's hilarious to know your children know more about technology than their dad. Lol

My youngest, he's 17 (18 in Jan) is totally on technology. You ask him a question, and he whips out his phone and has the answer in like 10 seconds. Meanwhile, I'm still unbuckling my phone from my old man belt clip. :lol

Glad this isn't the wild west, I'd be dead!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2712 on: November 20, 2020, 08:41:25 PM »
It is scary. I see my dad who has no clue with smartphones  though  it exactly what he needs.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2713 on: November 21, 2020, 01:55:10 AM »

That will happen to all of us, and sooner than we think.

My eldest daughter is twelve, right now I can tell her how things work, but probaly not for much longer.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: November 21, 2020, 05:38:42 AM »

That will happen to all of us, and sooner than we think

Truth

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: November 21, 2020, 05:51:00 AM »
It is scary. I see my dad who has no clue with smartphones  though  it exactly what he needs.

This is my Mom.

My brother and I bought her a phone, we had her pick it out. It was literally a cellular phone with big buttons and a tiny little screen. I don't think it would even run any apps. Test messaging, probably, I don't recall...it's been eight years since we got it for her. She's never called me from that number. I've tried calling her on it a few dozen times and it instantly goes to voicemail...that's never been setup. If I turn around and call her on her landline (the exact same number we had when I was a kid) she'll pick up.

I've asked her, "Mom, why don't you keep you cellphone with you and switched on?" She says she wouldn't want to waste the charge on the battery.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: November 21, 2020, 06:18:22 AM »

This is my Mom.

My brother and I bought her a phone, we had her pick it out. It was literally a cellular phone with big buttons and a tiny little screen. I don't think it would even run any apps. Test messaging, probably, I don't recall...it's been eight years since we got it for her. She's never called me from that number. I've tried calling her on it a few dozen times and it instantly goes to voicemail...that's never been setup. If I turn around and call her on her landline (the exact same number we had when I was a kid) she'll pick up.

I've asked her, "Mom, why don't you keep you cellphone with you and switched on?" She says she wouldn't want to waste the charge on the battery.  :lol

This was me with jingle.mom back in the late 90s.  It was one of those bulky Motorola flip phones that you'd extend the antenna for.  For about 15 years, all she would ever do is buy a $100 yearly prepaid-minutes, but never turn it on - I'm not sure anyone (including her) even knew the phone number.  Finally, we upgraded her to an iPhone about 5 years ago, and she gradually adopted to the technology to the point now she can/will text, use facetime and a few other things.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2717 on: November 21, 2020, 09:38:42 AM »
Kids now more about current shit, so the real trick is to make sure they understand that they may know more about smartphone tricks and Instagram or whatever the latest cool shit is, but they still don't understand how the world works as well as someone with 30 more years of life experience.

It's too easy for kids to think "my parents are stupid; they don't know anything about <...> or <...>".  Remind them once in a while how completely meaningless that shit is.  Remember that time I told you to check with your teacher, make sure, and it turned out very bad because they never knew?  Remember that time I told you that you can't just assume <...> and that you should call ahead of time, and you wasted three days waiting for <...>?  They want to think they're smarter than you.  They're growing up and might even be smarter than you someday.  But they ain't there yet, and intellect is not wisdom, and never will be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2718 on: December 10, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »
So I wasn't sure where to pout this but here is our family's Christmas card for this year. We ordered 40 of them!
You should never ask a Fogey to design a Christmas card using an online template...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: December 10, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
I don't belong in this thread and no offense Tim, but this looks like utter shit to me. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2720 on: December 10, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
My wife picked out the template. The scan into the computer deadened the color a bit. Besides the obvious, she didn't like the fact that the pictures were so small.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: December 10, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »
Or you could just glue a couple of photos to an actual card like mrs.jingle.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2722 on: December 10, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
So I wasn't sure where to pout this but here is our family's Christmas card for this year. We ordered 40 of them!
You should never ask a Fogey to design a Christmas card using an online template...

I don't mind it.  The pics are as you said a bit small but good job mate.

Or you could just glue a couple of photos to an actual card like mrs.jingle.

:lol your cat looks less than impressed having to wear that silly hat.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2723 on: December 10, 2020, 02:24:21 PM »
Kade, I think you missed the obvious.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2724 on: December 10, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »
The Samporenas hey?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: December 10, 2020, 02:29:44 PM »
Last card we made a decade ago.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: December 10, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »
TAC, I don't think it's bad looking but I could totally see when it prints, those pics will all look too small. 

and if that's not your last name... where tf did that come from?  :lol

And Jingle, I get the feeling no one has the desire to do these sort of things by hand anymore.  The way I see it, people hang them up and throw them out all within a month or so, so not a big reason to put much too much time into it besides the picture itself IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2727 on: December 10, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »

Bingo! :lol

It was on the template. i forgot to change it before ordering. that's the joke.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: December 10, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
I'd make fun of you Tim but I've done something like that before.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: December 10, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »

Bingo! :lol

It was on the template. i forgot to change it before ordering. that's the joke.

:rollin I mean, that's fucking hilarious, it's such a random name too.  You'd think the template would be "Smith" or one of the most common names