Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 325000 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club ! Ages 30 and over
« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2009, 07:45:55 AM »
As posted in the funny pics thread, figured I might as well cross reference it here, since most of you will likely be the only ones who'll "get it".

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:01:47 AM by GuitarCozmo »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
Split wood yesterday and stacked it.  I'm feeling it today.  Thank god I'm on vacation. I'm a little creeky today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2009, 11:16:37 AM »
Gonna sleep in tomorrow morning, for the first time in a month.  Yeah, baby!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »
Every time I make that statement, I'm still up by 8 in the morning. :biggrin:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
Yeah, me too.  Fucking lawn people with four mowers going at once > ear plugs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2009, 02:44:30 PM »

I'm in the same boat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I love this thread because here I feel safe and secure of discussions about video game.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »

I made to 10:15, which was pretty good.  Had to pee.  At that point I was up, but hey, sleeping past 10 is great.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »

I made to 10:15, which was pretty good.  Had to pee.  At that point I was up, but hey, sleeping past 10 is great.
I'm impressed ! Its always that blatter that ends it at some point. :biggrin:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2009, 08:59:33 AM »
Any fogeys still alive out there ?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »

still breathing if that counts
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: August 17, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »

still breathing if that counts
Judges ?........DING !

YES ! the judges say breathing is an acceptable answer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
Another "old fogey" thing. 

I wanted it to rain this weekend.  My lawn was starting to look like hell, and I was gonna get out the sprinklers like three times in the past month, but they kept saying we were gonna get rain, so I held off.  Then we'd get scatterred showers that didn't do shit. Friday night I got home and saw my lawn was basically brown, and I said "fuck, I have to water this weekend if we don't get at least a couple hours of good solid rain."

We got it Sunday afternoon.  I napped for three hours (yes!) listening to the wonderful sounds of thunderstorms and prog music.  It rained a lot overnight as well.  My lawn is saved and I didn't have to do any actual yard work.  Double Win!!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »
Another "old fogey" thing. 

I wanted it to rain this weekend.  My lawn was starting to look like hell, and I was gonna get out the sprinklers like three times in the past month, but they kept saying we were gonna get rain, so I held off.  Then we'd get scatterred showers that didn't do shit. Friday night I got home and saw my lawn was basically brown, and I said "fuck, I have to water this weekend if we don't get at least a couple hours of good solid rain."

We got it Sunday afternoon.  I napped for three hours (yes!) listening to the wonderful sounds of thunderstorms and prog music.  It rained a lot overnight as well.  My lawn is saved and I didn't have to do any actual yard work.  Double Win!!
I live in Connecticut and we have had so much rain this Summer, my grass is Green and lush. I have never seen grass like this in August. Its literally all I can do to wait a week before each cut. That's how fast the grass is growing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
Summers here in Chicago vary a lot from year to year, in terms of rain.  Usually, though, everyone's lawns are getting pretty brown by late summer.  But I hate that; it looks like shit.  Plus, we just had all new sod laid two years ago.  I didn't pay for all new grass just to watch it die.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2009, 01:13:33 PM »
Summers here in Chicago vary a lot from year to year, in terms of rain.  Usually, though, everyone's lawns are getting pretty brown by late summer.  But I hate that; it looks like shit.  Plus, we just had all new sod laid two years ago.  I didn't pay for all new grass just to watch it die.
It won't die. It will come back.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
Yeah, eventually.  But it'll be undead zombie grass, which could attack and kill people.  It would be bad enough if it got one of my kids, but if it took out the mailman or something, I could get sued, and that would really suck.  I can't risk that.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »
Yeah, eventually.  But it'll be undead zombie grass, which could attack and kill people.  It would be bad enough if it got one of my kids, but if it took out the mailman or something, I could get sued, and that would really suck.  I can't risk that.
A Sy fY original motion picture. This Saturday night at 9, only on... Sy Fy ! :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
Greetings fellow old farts.  I am quickly zeroing in on the big 40(less than three weeks now), and would love to hear any quips of advice or info from the small handful of people on the DTF who have passed this grand milestone.
Also, out of personal curiosity, I wonder who the grand old man of the forum is.  I saw one reference in a post that revealed a 45 year old, but haven't seen any older.  Any takers on the DTF Grand Poobah title.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2009, 04:44:45 PM »
I just turned 47, but I thought there were at least a few guys here older than me.  My memory is slipping, though, so I can't be sure.  :lol

As for advice, just be aware that yes, your body is not the finely tuned machine that it was in your youth (if it ever was) and there are things that will not be as easy as before.  For most people, the obvious one is the eyes.  Statistically, your 40's are when your eyes most commonly start to go, and in general when you start to feel the effects of all the stupid shit you did to your body when you were younger and thought yourself immortal and indestructable.

This is made up for by the fact that, contrary to what young people believe, older folks really do know and understand a lot more.  Some call this "wisdom".  The bummer is that young people don't believe it.  My teenaged son, for example, cannot accept the idea that someone who's walked the earth three times as long as he has would actually know better, about anything.  It seems that every day I find something new that I could kick myself over.  "If only I'd known this when I was younger..."  But I'm not, and you don't get to go through it all a second time, so the best I can hope for is to pass on what I've learned.  But my idiot son will have none of it.  Makes me feel pretty useless.  Typically I yell at everyone for a while, then crank the stereo really loud.  Then I feel better.  If they don't like it, they can leave.  My house, my stereo, my rules. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2009, 05:17:45 PM »
Gracias.  I'm already feeling the "body turning to shit" stuff and agree with you 100% on the wisdom part. I have a fifteen year old daughter, and though she is a very good kid, I still can't get messages some pearls of wisdom through to her. A classic line I remember from Star Trek is "wisdom is the difference between knowledge and experience."  Anyhow, thank you, only three weeks to the top of the hill.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
I just turned 47, but I thought there were at least a few guys here older than me.  My memory is slipping, though, so I can't be sure.  :lol

As for advice, just be aware that yes, your body is not the finely tuned machine that it was in your youth (if it ever was) and there are things that will not be as easy as before.  For most people, the obvious one is the eyes.  Statistically, your 40's are when your eyes most commonly start to go, and in general when you start to feel the effects of all the stupid shit you did to your body when you were younger and thought yourself immortal and indestructable.

This is made up for by the fact that, contrary to what young people believe, older folks really do know and understand a lot more.  Some call this "wisdom".  The bummer is that young people don't believe it.  My teenaged son, for example, cannot accept the idea that someone who's walked the earth three times as long as he has would actually know better, about anything.  It seems that every day I find something new that I could kick myself over.  "If only I'd known this when I was younger..."  But I'm not, and you don't get to go through it all a second time, so the best I can hope for is to pass on what I've learned.  But my idiot son will have none of it.  Makes me feel pretty useless.  Typically I yell at everyone for a while, then crank the stereo really loud.  Then I feel better.  If they don't like it, they can leave.  My house, my stereo, my rules. 

Yea Orbert has me by 2 years but pretty much all he said....my body is in revolt for all the things I did to it when I was younger...my knees creek...my eyes are going ( although its not that bad a thing, some girls/ladies I would have turned my nose up on years ago...now look much more attractive...its that airbrush effect ( slightly blurred) ) My kids are at the point that they know everything, so now I just sit back watch them f*ck up and tell them told you so..if you would have listened to me that wouldn't have happened..Plus I get called "sir" alot now its actually quite nice
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »
Hey, here's an advantage that doesn't get enough appreciation:  There are some women in their 30's, 40', maybe even older, that I know I wouldn't have looked at twice if I were younger, who now look pretty damned good.  There might be some airbrush effect going on, but at my age, a 30something babe is still quite a bit younger than me, and still qualifies as a "babe" to me.

So basically, those hot college girls still look good, and so do their older sisters, and some of their moms, too.  There's more to love and appreciate!  The scope has been broadened, range has been widened, whatever you call it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #268 on: August 18, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »
I've noticed that the term "cougar" has, in the last couple years, been replaced by ,"chicks my age", and the cougars now reside in the 50 range.( which, by the way, is a very sexy class of women).

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: August 18, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
I've noticed that the term "cougar" has, in the last couple years, been replaced by ,"chicks my age", and the cougars now reside in the 50 range.( which, by the way, is a very sexy class of women).
I'm 44 and the older I get, the more it all looks good to me. :biggrin:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »
Gracias.  I'm already feeling the "body turning to shit" stuff and agree with you 100% on the wisdom part. I have a fifteen year old daughter, and though she is a very good kid, I still can't get messages some pearls of wisdom through to her. A classic line I remember from Star Trek is "wisdom is the difference between knowledge and experience."  Anyhow, thank you, only three weeks to the top of the hill.
I've always considered wisdom to be the product of knowledge and experience.

I still look 10 years younger than I am so I never get called sir.  Hadn't thought about it before, but it might be kinda nice. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2009, 12:12:21 PM »

I still look 10 years younger than I am so I never get called sir.  Hadn't thought about it before, but it might be kinda nice. 
You may have a point, but , on the other hand, I've met some true dumbasses who were very wise.  There is something to be said for life experience.  And I don't know if I will ever get used to being called sir, I always look around for my father when it happens, :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »

You may have a point, but , on the other hand, I've met some true dumbasses who were very wise.  There is something to be said for life experience.  And I don't know if I will ever get used to being called sir, I always look around for my father when it happens, :biggrin:

There's book smart and street smart.  Some have one, some have both or a mix and some have neither!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »

There's book smart and street smart.  Some have one, some have both or a mix and some have neither!
Why do I keep running into the "neithers"?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »

I love when the younger generation show some respect. It so rare these days.

Offline Colorado Snowdog

• Loco Woods Dragon
  • The lawfirm of Prog, Fusion & Jazz
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »
Old N00b here, reporting for duty.  Big DT fan, yet old enough to remember seeing Rush on the FTK tour in '77.

Take what I say in a diff'rent way and it's easy to see that this is all confusion.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
Welcome to the club!

Hemispheres was my first, so you beat me by one year, and one tour.  Damn you!

Offline Colorado Snowdog

• Loco Woods Dragon
« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »
Welcome to the club!

Hemispheres was my first, so you beat me by one year, and one tour.  Damn you!

Thank you!  (happily welcomed and damned)  If I recall that 1977 show accurately, Uriah Heep opened for them and I paid $7 for the ticket.  Show was at the Auditorium Arena in Denver.  I'm happy that I actually got to see shows like that and Zeppelin in my youth.  The younger set have, IMO, weaker, more mainstream 'pop' talent to point to as their first shows.  I nice exception to this rule are bands like DT and a few others holding the line on musicianship, writing, performance, originality, etc.

Take what I say in a diff'rent way and it's easy to see that this is all confusion.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2009, 04:11:05 PM »
Where abouts in Colorado?  I'm a big fan of the place. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Colorado Snowdog

• Loco Woods Dragon
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
Colorado Springs area.  Been in the state since '68.