Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336684 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #1820 on: June 06, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »
Man...I almost croaked from old age digging to find this fucker.  I guess we all had senior moments and forgot about this bitch.  Anyways.... I can't wait for 8 more years to pass so I can retire.  So tired of working for this shit hole company.  Yeah... I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I know a lot of folks have it a lot worse than me, but man I hate this cheap ass company.  Retirements calling!!!!!!!
Union troubles still afflicting you? I know it's unrelated to your steelworker amigos, but the longshoreman strike out there has certainly been a headache for me. Some material that I was in dire need of finally showed up from Asia and after sitting around the Pacific for two weeks finally had to be routed to the East coast via Panama.

As for retirement, I still think of that as mythical.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1821 on: June 07, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
Man...I almost croaked from old age digging to find this fucker.  I guess we all had senior moments and forgot about this bitch.  Anyways.... I can't wait for 8 more years to pass so I can retire.  So tired of working for this shit hole company.  Yeah... I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I know a lot of folks have it a lot worse than me, but man I hate this cheap ass company.  Retirements calling!!!!!!!
Union troubles still afflicting you? I know it's unrelated to your steelworker amigos, but the longshoreman strike out there has certainly been a headache for me. Some material that I was in dire need of finally showed up from Asia and after sitting around the Pacific for two weeks finally had to be routed to the East coast via Panama.

Twenty years still. Sigh...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1822 on: June 07, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »
I don't even have a retirement target date, in years, based on my age, or whatever.  The house won't be paid off for another 10 years, so hopefully I can keep working until at least then.  I haven't saved jack shit towards retirement, despite everyone and everything saying I should for the past 20 years, because we've been perpetually in debt due to my wife never keeping a job and being unemployed more years of our marriage than she's been employed.  So while saving up for retirement is a good and smart thing, so is paying the electricity bill and making the house payment, so those kinda came first.  The only real savings we have is my 401(k), which currently has about one year's salary (of mine) in it.  It'll compound a bit in the next 10 years, but will hardly be the nest egg that most people would count on.

Meanwhile, my mom died and my dad has a boatload of money which my sisters and I will split when he passes.  I know this because he sends financial statements to us twice a year.  So it sucks to think of it this way, but he's 84 now, and the odds are that he'll pass sometime in the next ten years, leaving us enough money to pay off the house and put the kids through college.  Except by then the house will be paid off and the kids will (hopefully) be done with college, so that will become our nest egg.  If my dad's still around, great, I'll just keep working.  I'll have nothing else to do at that point anyway.

So the only variable -- and it's a biggee -- is whether I'll be able to find/keep a job until then.  Where I'm at now, I've been there 10 years and they love me, but that's no guarantee that I'll be there another 10.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1823 on: June 07, 2015, 11:11:05 AM »
What's retirement?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: June 07, 2015, 11:40:15 AM »
Just reserving a seat on the bus for 3 years and 5 months.

See you then :coolio

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: June 07, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »

Yeah, amazingly we won our dispute.  The strike lasted a meager 52 days.  I was expecting 3-6 months realistically, and then still losing.  I was shocked that we actually didn't lose anything major.  Yeah, the trickle down effect from the longshoremans work slow down affected a lot of people.  After going through what I went through though, I empathize with the situation they were in.  Sucks though to be the poor merchant or person waiting on equipment or just stuff in general.

I don't even have a retirement target date, in years, based on my age, or whatever.  The house won't be paid off for another 10 years, so hopefully I can keep working until at least then.  I haven't saved jack shit towards retirement, despite everyone and everything saying I should for the past 20 years, because we've been perpetually in debt due to my wife never keeping a job and being unemployed more years of our marriage than she's been employed.  So while saving up for retirement is a good and smart thing, so is paying the electricity bill and making the house payment, so those kinda came first.  The only real savings we have is my 401(k), which currently has about one year's salary (of mine) in it.  It'll compound a bit in the next 10 years, but will hardly be the nest egg that most people would count on.

Meanwhile, my mom died and my dad has a boatload of money which my sisters and I will split when he passes.  I know this because he sends financial statements to us twice a year.  So it sucks to think of it this way, but he's 84 now, and the odds are that he'll pass sometime in the next ten years, leaving us enough money to pay off the house and put the kids through college.  Except by then the house will be paid off and the kids will (hopefully) be done with college, so that will become our nest egg.  If my dad's still around, great, I'll just keep working.  I'll have nothing else to do at that point anyway.

So the only variable -- and it's a biggee -- is whether I'll be able to find/keep a job until then.  Where I'm at now, I've been there 10 years and they love me, but that's no guarantee that I'll be there another 10.

I've been fortunate enough to be with the some company for 25 years.  If I would have been REALLY smart I would have maxed my 401k from the get go, but like you say...electric bills and rent kinda hinder that.  I'm also a firm believer in live for the now as much as you can too.  I've seen too many folks reach retirement age then croak.  For me it's been a balancing act, Now vs. Retirement.  By the time I hit 59.5 in 8 years I HOPE I'll be able to be comfortable enough to live where I want and do the things I want.  Now, we all know anything can happen, and plans change.  All we can do is roll with it.  My wife sounds a bit like yours.  It would be really nice to have a full time, stable second income.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1826 on: June 16, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »
I thought of something interesting the other day. We were all around for some awesome tours. You mention here or on some other forum that you saw the Damage Inc. tour or the World Piece tour all of these kids will say how lucky you are and how they'd kill to have been able to see some band back 30 years ago when they were still good. Yet, all of those kids would have absolutely hated those shows. They're so sued to modern tours that an actual rock concert would traumatize them.

"It was awful! The sound was terrible. It took two weeks to get the smell out of my hair. My ears won't stop ringing. I couldn't see because people were standing on their chairs. Some asshole was smoking marijuana next to me the whole night. A preacher told me I was going to hell. People kept screaming the whole time. When I held my phone up to film the thing somebody smashed me the head with a whiskey bottle."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1827 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
I don't go to many concerts nowadays, mostly because tickets now cost as much as a small car, but the last one I went to (Foo Fighters Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace) was insanely loud.  I wore ear plugs and still had no problem hearing every note, and every word Dave said.  So I don't know if "kids today" would complain about the sound being too loud.

The rest, I can see, but my experience is limited.  How are concerts today different from in the past?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1828 on: June 16, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »
I never went to a lot of concerts when I was younger.

Of course, I don't go to a lot of concerts now, either.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: June 16, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
I chased after my friend's 16 year old daughter in a water gun fight on Sunday at a party.

I pulled a hamstring. :lol

That is all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1830 on: June 16, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »
I chased after my friend's 16 year old daughter at a party....I pulled a hamstring. :lol

Not sure if you should go directly to the hospital...or the Police Station!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1831 on: June 16, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »
I chased after my friend's 16 year old daughter at a party....I pulled a hamstring. :lol

Talked to my old man today and he's nursing a bit of a sunburn. Seems his step-granddaughter's graduation culminated in an all day pool party with 15 of her friends and he felt compelled to hang out in the backyard for longer than he probably should have.

Quote from: David Wooderson
High school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1832 on: June 16, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
The rest, I can see, but my experience is limited.  How are concerts today different from in the past?
In the old days a rock concert was as much about the lifestyle as it was seeing the band. Now it's simply a recital. While I do appreciate modern sound quality, and old man that I am I enjoy being able to sit down, but the hooliganism that accompanied seeing VH or Ozzy is sorely missed.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1833 on: June 16, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »

Talked to my old man today and he's nursing a bit of a sunburn. Seems his step-granddaughter's graduation culminated in an all day pool party with 15 of her friends and he felt compelled to hang out in the backyard for longer than he probably should have.

Sounds like he could've used some..um..protection. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1834 on: June 16, 2015, 04:16:27 PM »
In the old days a rock concert was as much about the lifestyle as it was seeing the band. Now it's simply a recital. While I do appreciate modern sound quality, and old man that I am I enjoy being able to sit down, but the hooliganism that accompanied seeing VH or Ozzy is sorely missed.

Ah, got it.  To be honest, even back in the old days, I was more annoyed than anything else by all the people who went to concerts and clearly had the musical performance itself relatively low on their priority list.  I was there first and foremost to hear the music, second to see the band.  Yeah, the crowd, the venue, the event, the atmosphere, those were all important.  It was exciting to be a part of a huge crowd all digging the same thing.  And there was also the unspoken comraderie; I didn't go to a whole lot of concerts, but had complete strangers share their smoke with me more than once.

But for the most part, I really wished people would just sit down and shut the hell up so I could see and hear the show I came to see and hear.  The big reason why I don't go to concerts any more is the price, but that's coupled with the idea of paying big money and not really enjoying the show.  If you can actually see and hear the performance these days, then I consider that a step in the right direction.  Of course, the vast majority of bands I like either aren't around any more or sound like crap these days.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: June 16, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »

Talk about being part of the media and picking out and cut and pasting lines together to fit your dirty little agenda. :lol

Same here.  I brought a hat and didn't wear it.  the dome is taking a beating today.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1836 on: June 16, 2015, 10:30:37 PM »
I'm guessing a few people in here remember Hickory Farms. Occurs to me that it's pretty much a thing of the past once they left every single mall in America. The gift boxes were a popular thing to hand out for the executives, so they showed up somewhat frequently at my old man's place. They're probably banned by the FDA by now but I remember them somewhat fondly. I also loved all of the hard candies flavored after mixed drinks you could buy at the mall. MAAD probably put a stop to that 30 years ago, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1837 on: June 17, 2015, 07:50:38 AM »
I'm guessing a few people in here remember Hickory Farms. Occurs to me that it's pretty much a thing of the past once they left every single mall in America. The gift boxes were a popular thing to hand out for the executives, so they showed up somewhat frequently at my old man's place. They're probably banned by the FDA by now but I remember them somewhat fondly. I also loved all of the hard candies flavored after mixed drinks you could buy at the mall. MAAD probably put a stop to that 30 years ago, though.

They are still around.  And they still show up in the local malls at holiday time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: June 17, 2015, 07:57:03 AM »
There are always prominent during the holiday seasons in Kiosks in the mall.  They used to have permanent store up here but there are long gone now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1839 on: June 17, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
Hickory Farms was perfect for the "What do I get my girlfriend's parents for Christmas" problem.

Oh, and Orange Julius FTW!!! :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1840 on: June 17, 2015, 08:12:38 AM »

They are still around.  And they still show up in the local malls at holiday time.
Oh, I know they're still around. They just seem to have lost all relevance without being in every mall. When was the last time you actually got a gift box from them? I didn't now they set up shop in kiosks during Christmas, though. I avoid malls like the plague for the last 2+ months of the year, whenever they convert to Christmas nonsense.

And yeah, it was always the perfect gift for oddballs that didn't warrant more thoughtful presents.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: June 17, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »
Yeah fining a parking spot during the Christmas season is as fun as poking your eyes out.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: June 17, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
Hickory Farms was perfect for the "What do I get my girlfriend's parents for Christmas" problem.

Oh, and Orange Julius FTW!!! :metal

Damn....I was supposed to by prezzies for the GF's folks???  That explains lots!!!   :lol  As far as concerts, I know I'm getting old cause I don't think I could do a General Admission seating show anymore.  I need my nice, comfy, spacious seat  :biggrin:  Yeah... I'll stand and rock out....just don't wanna be part of the pit anymore.... :blush

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1843 on: June 18, 2015, 03:18:49 AM »
Some weeks ago there was the 30th anniversary of one of the biggest open air concerts in Germany: Rock am Ring, a three day festival. For this year the concert moved to a new location and I saw a report on TV about people complaining about thre camping grounds: Too few toilets, too much mud, no electricity, too few showers, a long way to the parking lot etc.

What happened to the young folks? Why are they so whiny? This is a rock festival not a five star camping trip!

I was there a couple of times in the early 90s when I was in my early 20s. The camping grounds were some meadows or parking lots. There were maybe three mobile toilets for the whole camping ground and they were thrown over by some assholes regularly. Naturally there were no showers and there was a lot of mud because at least on one day it was raining heavily. If you wanted electricity you either brought a generator or a car battery and the only use for electricity was to blast some music.

We usually had a tent, a lot of alcoholic beverages, maybe some non-tobacco products, we saw a lot of bands, we rocked out, we headbanged till our necks hurt and we had a lot of fun.  :metal :metal :metal

For a shit you went into the woods and you definitely didn't need a shower. Maybe now I'm too old for this shit, but the people they showed in that report were early 20s, not some old farts like me. And I'm not saying that everything was perfect back then but none the less it was legendary for all of us and today is still remembered fondly. We were there for the music and the fun and we had lots of it. I think the young ones I saw on TV wouldn't have lasted an hour before running home crying when they were there back then.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1844 on: June 22, 2015, 04:31:50 AM »
Yeah, young folks these days....funny how easily shocked they are.  :angel:

Went to some sleazepunk-coverband and didn't expect too much of it. Saw some old friends and made some new.  :tup

Thouroughly rocked out to the band which turned out to be kickass!  :metal Didn't even wear any earplugs!  :metal

Had a couple beers too many and had to take a cab home. Got home around three in the morning.  :yarr

Woke up with a slight hangover, but totally worth it! Fuck, I still rock at 50!  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: June 26, 2015, 06:13:01 AM »
Yeah, young folks these days....funny how easily shocked they are.  :angel:

Went to some sleazepunk-coverband and didn't expect too much of it. Saw some old friends and made some new.  :tup

Thouroughly rocked out to the band which turned out to be kickass!  :metal Didn't even wear any earplugs!  :metal

Had a couple beers too many and had to take a cab home. Got home around three in the morning.  :yarr

Woke up with a slight hangover, but totally worth it! Fuck, I still rock at 50!  ;D

Dude...you're making the rest of us old fukkers look weak...... :lol

Keep rockin Brotha!  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: June 27, 2015, 05:34:17 AM »
Noticed he hasn't posted since he partied.   :lol

It takes a lot longer to recoupe these days.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:39:02 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1847 on: June 27, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »
No kidding

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: June 27, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »
So you know your old when you hesitate to see a movie in the drive in when it's the second one showing.  Lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: June 27, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »
Wow...you still have a drive in??  I haven't seen one in decades.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1850 on: June 29, 2015, 02:11:37 AM »
Noticed he hasn't posted since he partied.   :lol

It takes a lot longer to recoupe these days.

Ouch. Now that hurt, brother! You're right though. Went to a beachparty (dont'ask) oh my f'ing god, the things I've seen... partied till one o' clock of the morn, then stumbled off to bed.
Party went on untill six in the morning....yeah. Sometimes you have to CHOOSE your battles!  :mehlin
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1851 on: April 26, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »
:bump:

Is it just me, or is it absolutely-fucking-fantastic how there are still a ton of REAL fogeys - ie, 40+ - around these here parts?  Pretty soon, 50+ is going to be the requirement for the "fogey" handle.

Youth is wasted on the young.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1852 on: April 26, 2016, 10:10:56 PM »
:bump:

Is it just me, or is it absolutely-fucking-fantastic how there are still a ton of REAL fogeys - ie, 40+ - around these here parts?  Pretty soon, 50+ is going to be the requirement for the "fogey" handle.

Youth is wasted on the young.
Us old farts don't go anywhere. We're set in our ways. The youngins all move on to the next shiny object.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1853 on: April 27, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »
Once you reach a certain wisdom age, you don't have to be everywhere, you stay where it's nice and cozy.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1854 on: April 27, 2016, 04:12:52 AM »
Where else can you bitch about concert ushers?  Lol