Author Topic: To the Los Angeles area DTFers  (Read 1678 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
To the Los Angeles area DTFers
« on: June 17, 2015, 06:02:09 AM »
So in a few weeks the TACs will be going to Disneyland in California.
We are driving into Anaheim on a Saturday, and have plans to go to Dodger Stadium for a 1:00 game on Sunday.

A few questions..
I hear traffic out there is a nightmare. How about on the weekends?

How is the drive from Disneyland to Dodger Stadium? How far out of downtown LA is the stadium?
We are really only planning to spend a few innings at the game. Hoping to sightsee before and after.

Any helpful hints?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: To the Los Angeles area DTFers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
My experience is that traffic is always there, but on weekends it's more of an annoyance than a real problem. One of those deals where you drive 65 for a bit, drive 10 for a minute, then speed back up to 65. Only sucks if you're trying to haul ass to LAX, mostly. You'll probably have more of a problem negotiating jam packed side streets than freeways.

Definitely drive a bit further North from the stadium and hit the Griffith Observatory. That place is kick ass. And Griffith Park is a pleasant drive, as well. Always my sight-seeing recommendation and you'll be on the North side of town anyway.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
Definitely drive a bit further North from the stadium and hit the Griffith Observatory. That place is kick ass. And Griffith Park is a pleasant drive, as well. Always my sight-seeing recommendation and you'll be on the North side of town anyway.

Yes.

Traffic is an abomination, even on weekends.  And you never know when you'll hit it.  So just don't try to cut it close on the timing.  Give yourself extra time to get places and you will be fine.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:41:39 AM »
Is Dodger Stadium near downtown at all. Like if we parked the car at or near the stadium at like 9am, would that make it easier to get around?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
Is Dodger Stadium near downtown at all. Like if we parked the car at or near the stadium at like 9am, would that make it easier to get around?

No.  Unless you wanted to take a cab.  It is not even remotely walking distance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »
Is there anything within walking distance of the stadium?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
No.  It is out all by itself. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
And go Giants. :GiantsMetal:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
Is there anything within walking distance of the stadium?
LA is in a weird dimension where no two points are within walking distance of each other.

Where'bouts are you staying?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
Disneyland. We have basically set aside the Sunday to check out LA. Like I said, we'll spend a couple hours at the game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:14 AM »
Not from LA but spent like 3-4 months there in the last year or so... Traffic sucks no matter what.

Dodger stadium is alone

Griffith Observatory is a must, might be my favorite place in the entire world and is my Facebook background. The view of the city is amazing.

LA Brea Tar Pits are cool too. I'm not a beach guy but chilling by the Santa Monica Pier and boardwalk is really cool. 

Edited to show my pic

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:22:34 PM by cramx3 »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »
Disneyland is easy.  Dodger Stadium....not so much.  Like others said, you can hit traffic at anytime, anywhere here.  On the weekend you don't Have "Rush hour" per se, but there's always possibilities for congestion and accidents.  For Dodger Stadium, if you can afford it pre-pay for premium LOT K parking.  It's worth the extra cash.  On a sold out, or close to sold out weekend game, if you don't leave early or have premium parking it could take you 1-2.5 hours to get out of the lot.  I went to a playoff game last year, paid the lot K fee and was on the freeway within 5 mins of getting into my car.  Driving on the weekend from D-land to the stadium I would give myself 1.5 hours.  I enjoy the pre-game atmosphere, and usually get to games an hour before to relax.  That cushion means I'm rarely late.  Dodger stadium is only a few miles from downtown, you can park and ride there, but it can be a headache....so I've been told.  Have fun! 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »
I visited my friend in 1991.  He lived in Cypress. A half hour south of L.A.  Traffic jams on a 6 lane highway on a Tuesday night at 10:30pm. 

No way would I live there.  Crazy!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
Disneyland is easy.  Dodger Stadium....not so much.  Like others said, you can hit traffic at anytime, anywhere here.  On the weekend you don't Have "Rush hour" per se, but there's always possibilities for congestion and accidents.  For Dodger Stadium, if you can afford it pre-pay for premium LOT K parking.  It's worth the extra cash.  On a sold out, or close to sold out weekend game, if you don't leave early or have premium parking it could take you 1-2.5 hours to get out of the lot. 
Thanks. Honestly, we'll like be leaving the game halfway through.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »
Jeez, why is driving there such a clusterfuck?  I have heard stories like this all my life.

Why can't this problem be worked on?  It seems strange, because I never hear of Southern California-like traffic problems about any other area.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
Give yourself a shit ton of extra time. That's one thing I've learned about living here. give an extra hour and a half or so to any travel time.

I've driven down from Ventura County where I live (county just north of LA County) down to Disneyland and had it take 2 hours. I've also done the same drive (to see a DT show in Anaheim actually) and had it over 4 hours. You never know what to expect.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »
Hef, it's just sheer numbers.  10+ million in 100x100 mile area, and Everyone has cars.  Mostly because our public transportation sucks.  Metro areas like NYC and other massive metropolises have more effective PT, so folks don't use their cars that much, if they even have one.  Funny you mention never hearing of traffic like this elsewhere... worst traffic I have ever been in  #1... between Seattle and Tacoma during rush hour, #2 Northern California between San Jose and Frisco.  Yeah, socal is probably the worst overall, and I've had some days where I wanted to go all Michael Douglas "Falling Down"  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
Jeez, why is driving there such a clusterfuck?  I have heard stories like this all my life.

Why can't this problem be worked on?  It seems strange, because I never hear of Southern California-like traffic problems about any other area.

Too many people combined with poor urban planning and an inadequate freeway system.  And the entire area is so built up and crowded that any real, effective fix seems like it would be economically impossible.  But, really, it isn't THAT much different than other major American cities.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
We visited Chicago a few years back and could not believe the traffic. Made Boston traffic look like a rural town.

Hopefully we catch a break going through it on a Sunday.

My wife also wants to see the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Yeah, it's bad in other cities at times, but SoCal is legendary for it being bad all the time
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
Yeah, it's bad in other cities at times, but SoCal is legendary for it being bad all the time

That is just a myth and an exaggeration, and anyone who has driven in L.A. at 4:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning can tell you that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 02:22:08 PM »
lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
Oh hey, look at that, it just so happens I work at Disneyland part time. And I'm actually looking at moving to the Orange County area because with the 60th Anniversary stuff going on, I've been work more video/photo shoots at Disneyland than I have working on any other production stuff in L.A. I HATE commuting.

I find the drive THE BEST, which isn't saying much, if you start driving around 10:00 a.m., and I usually hit Disneyland 45 minutes to an hour from Culver City. I always hit stop and go traffic by the time I'm in the Pico Rivera area.

No matter what....make sure you have plenty of time, have some patience and listen to some good tunes or a podcast. Californians drive like frickin' idiots, and I've driven in some pretty crazy places with horrible drivers. Every time I go back to those places, I think they are the worst drivers, then I remember I've been to California.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
What do you do there?

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
I work in their Broadcast Productions department. We help facilitate all sorts of media at the parks like commercials and photo advertisements. Here's a something we just recently did for the 60th Anniversary celebration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jha0wTShQk4

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 04:11:57 PM »
Nice. It's a step up from The Great Movie Ride!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
Haha yeah. Even thought I moved to L.A. to do more outside production work, I'm glad I was to keep my ties with Disney. Great company to work for.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
We visited Chicago a few years back and could not believe the traffic. Made Boston traffic look like a rural town.

Chicago isn't that bad... just stay away from the expressways during rush hour...

I don't have any real input on the thread, just that I can't imagine how bad California drivers have to be to be worse compared to Chicago drivers  :eek
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »
Very cool, TAC!
Sunday is easily the best day for your journey.  Traffic should be fine until you get close to the stadium (other than a wreck or two).  Stay off the 5 as much as humanly possible.
Ditto on Griffith Park, it is a must!
If you need advice on good mexican food while out here, just PM. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
Thank you all who posted. We went on our TACation last week and had a great time.

Started in Vegas for a couple of nights.
Took a ride out to the Hoover Dam:

We then spent a night near the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Definitely worth the extra 2 hour ride. I knew it would be amazing, but the Grand Canyon was beyond my imagination. With my youngest guy:

The next day (last Saturday) we drove 8 hours to Anaheim. A few hours too long but the ride was incredible. Such scenery, even the desert!

On Sunday, we did visit LA. We drove up to Hollywood Boulevard (saw the Pantages!). My wife wanted to check out the Chinese Theater:

We drove Santa Monica Blvd into Beverly Hills, so my wife could walk up and down Rodeo Drive. Had lunch there. Drove back via the Sunset and to the game we went:

We left after the 6th and were back at the Grand Californian exactly 1 hour after we began to walk out of the stadium. Unfrtunately we did not make it to Griffith Park. We wanted to get back and "quit while we were ahead".
After too many trips to Disney World in Florida to count, the TACs finally made it to Disneyland California:

(yes, that's my new Dodger cap!)

After a couple of days, we had to drive back to Vegas for one more night on Wednesday before flying home on Thursday. But first we couldn't go that far and not dip our toes in the Pacific Ocean, so we made a detour to Huntington Beach:

I'm not a beach person, but it was very cool there.

We then drove back to Vegas, thankfully driving through the Cajon Pass 48 hours before that freeway fire. WTF!!

I hate flying. This was the second summer in a row where I got on a plane after avoiding it for 15 years. I'm doing it for my kids. I'm still scared to death, but I wanted to thank El Barto who sent me a PM on flying a few months ago which I have not deleted, where he assured me the wings would not fall off. :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »
I live in Huntington Beach, we missed a meet op!  :sad:  Glad you guys had a fun TACation though!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
It's really cool there.

Are those oil rigs out there?

Great view of LA looking up the coast too.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
You sound like somebody who really enjoyed a good trip. WTG. Glad my encouragement made it at least slightly more bearable.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 06:37:16 AM »
Damn... good looking trip there.  I know I've mentioned it before, but TAC-son is a beast.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »
Damn... good looking trip there.  I know I've mentioned it before, but TAC-son is a beast.

Creeper.

...but Mrs. TAC is a cutie.