Author Topic: Humans (TV Show)  (Read 8367 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Humans (TV Show)
« on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:01 AM »
It doesn't appear as if this has aired in the US yet, but I just watched the pilot episode, and thought it got off to a great start. I'll definitely continue watching. I've caught a few episodes of "Real Humans" now and again, the Swedish show upon which this is based, and wished I'd managed to see more, so I'm glad to see that there's now a good English language adaptation to keep up with.

The show is about a world where there are worker/helper androids basically everywhere, and focuses on a few individuals dealing with the ramifications. There's also a small group of androids who are sentient, and are on the run. It's not a new premise, but it's done very well so far.

It has a few familiar faces, including Catherine Parkinson (The IT Crowd) and Colin Morgan (Merlin), but I like the whole cast so far (especially the hot asian android). I'd recommend this to any scifi fans.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Humans (TV Show)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Just saw this advertised. Being that it's on AMC I think that bodes well also because they produce quality shows. Like you said, it's not exactly an 'original' premise but I'm curious as to the direction and take they'll give us on it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Just saw this advertised. Being that it's on AMC I think that bodes well also because they produce quality shows. Like you said, it's not exactly an 'original' premise but I'm curious as to the direction and take they'll give us on it.

I hadn't heard anything about this adaptation until I saw it pop up and had to check it out.
So far, so good for quality. I was impressed from start to finish. It deals with the human element thoughtfully and maturely, with every character having their own unique and realistic relationship with the androids. Again, it's not entirely original on the surface, with the obvious stuff like fear of being replaced by robots, and simply wanting to f*** them, but it's shown and developed in subtle and relatable ways. If it maintains this quality of writing, it's going to be one to watch out for.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
It's starting here soon.  I've already set my DVR for it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
Looking forward to William Hurt's performance. I loved him in 'The Big Chill' and I think he has some acting chops...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »
Looking forward to William Hurt's performance. I loved him in 'The Big Chill' and I think he has some acting chops...

He didn't have as big a part as the other family in the first episode, and isn't connected to the bigger story yet from what I could tell, but the story with him and his "synth" is touching so far.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:39:05 AM »
I'm only posting in this thread because Blob chided me.

Are you happy papa?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »
No. You weren't supposed to tell them that bit! :lol

After the third episode, this is cementing itself as my favourite show of the year so far. Pretty much a perfect series so far imo.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
 :lol

Well, like I said in the general chat, That was a strong 1st episode and I like seeing actors acting like robots and showing their humanity.  I also liked the human's reason's for keeping as malfunctioning robot.  It's his last connection to family.  I like that aspect.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:04 AM »
:lol

Well, like I said in the general chat, That was a strong 1st episode and I like seeing actors acting like robots and showing their humanity.  I also liked the human's reason's for keeping as malfunctioning robot.  It's his last connection to family.  I like that aspect.

I liked that too. At first impression I thought he just hated his synth and was hiding it away in his closet, but it ended up being a deeper story. Seeing the mother's increasing paranoia with Anita each week is also excellent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »
For good reason as well!  I wonder what the robot's game plan is there?  She was stolen and sold of so is she just biding her time for an escape?  Also, what's with her carrying out the little girl?  I know you know, but I can't wait to see why.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
For good reason as well!  I wonder what the robot's game plan is there?  She was stolen and sold of so is she just biding her time for an escape?  Also, what's with her carrying out the little girl?  I know you know, but I can't wait to see why.

Some of that has been answered, some of it is still an unfolding mystery, but what I like is that it doesn't beat you over the head with questions/answers as is the trend in modern shows. It just lets things play out in subtle ways.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
A good story arc then.  Sweetness.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
I have this recorded but haven't had the chance to watch.....hopefully tonight I can get to it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 07:48:41 AM »
Finally had a chance to catch the pilot. Pretty good. It appears AMC may have done it again. I like the William Hurt story line....both he and his Synth essentially going through the same thing...aging and losing memory. when he celebrated when his synth regained that memory, it was sad/touching.

'Anita' is fascinating as well. Carrying the girl off was a bit strange but I guess we will see what comes of it?  And I can't decide if the man (organization) who've captured Frank are really 'bad' people or not? On the surface it appears as if they are but I get the sense...from him at least...that he almost admires them?

Anyway...good start.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
Interesting to see that the 'human' of that group of synths is actually some sort of 'cross breed?' And, I think the actors playing synths are doing a pretty convincing job of it with the mannerisms and speech patterns.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
Interesting to see that the 'human' of that group of synths is actually some sort of 'cross breed?' And, I think the actors playing synths are doing a pretty convincing job of it with the mannerisms and speech patterns.

He definitely seems to be some kind of cyborg. How much so I don't know. The latest UK episode has revealed a bit more about Leo, but has raised more questions than answers at this point.
The latest episode had a lot going on, and still keeps getting better. Niska is a firecracker.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Saw Episode 2.  The memory of swimming what fascinating.  Watching robots acting like Humans and then see them act like robots in the present is really cool to watch.  I have so many question right now.  Can't wait to see how it's played out.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
The latest episode had a lot going on, and still keeps getting better.

I have so many question right now. 

Yeah....there is a lot being set up and so much going on. The rebellious Daughter who hates synths (who I suspect before it's all said and done will be a major ally to them) the Detective (or whatever) who called them the 'Mona Lisa' and the 'Atom Bomb'....still not sure what angle he's taking. Anyway, good start to the series.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »
And what about the actor that played "Merlin" on the TV show that's been running with the other Robot.  He was cut and the used 2 wires from his insides but he was still bleeding like a human and his eyes don't glow?! 

So many questions.  I like it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 07:51:37 AM »
I'm becoming more convinced that the guy 'hunting' down the special group of synth's is more of an ally than enemy. I think the way they present him on the surface....him trying to catch and find them all....makes him appear like he's an enemy but I think when it's all said and done he wants to help them.

That blonde special synth is a psycho. Wow.

for a while there I thought that Anita was 'aware' of who/what she was but was just pretending not to be. It looks like now with that scene where she reached out for help for a few moments saying 'I'm  here...help me' that she's buried just behind the "normal" synth programming.

There's no way that dad doesn't want to shag Anita now. Not after seeing her undress and naked.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
That blonde special synth is a psycho. Wow.

:lol I love her more each week.

for a while there I thought that Anita was 'aware' of who/what she was but was just pretending not to be. It looks like now with that scene where she reached out for help for a few moments saying 'I'm  here...help me' that she's buried just behind the "normal" synth programming.

I thought that was the case as well, since there were several moments where she acted differently to average synths.

Since I'm ahead a couple of episodes, I can't comment on the rest.

Can you blame the dad for wanting to bang Anita though? :zydar:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 08:15:31 AM »
Yeah, like Blob I'm up to date now (episode 5). So, SPOILERS BELOW if you don't want them.

The show is really good so far, and each episode opens up interesting new stuff. I think the show is definitely moving towards that investigator (or whatever he is) being on the side of the sentient synths (he even claimed as much at one point), but his motivations definitely aren't clear. I don't think he burned the sentient synth they had with them though - and suspect he made it appear that way as it makes the body unrecognisable.

I really like Leo as a character. Great to see Colin Morgan doing a great job of moving away from his Merlin days as well!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 08:21:47 AM »
CONTINUED SPOILERS

The show is really good so far, and each episode opens up interesting new stuff. I think the show is definitely moving towards that investigator (or whatever he is) being on the side of the sentient synths (he even claimed as much at one point), but his motivations definitely aren't clear. I don't think he burned the sentient synth they had with them though - and suspect he made it appear that way as it makes the body unrecognisable.

Yup, for sure. They even said he didn't need to destroy it that badly, so he's definitely tucked it away. He worked with the creator of the sentient synths, so he's at least curious to know more, if not entirely sympathetic yet.

I'm also interested to see what the deal is with the synth cop's partner now that we know she's a synth.

I really like every character for what they are at this point. I think the acting is great all around.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
MOAR SPOILERS N SHIT

I'm also interested to see what the deal is with the synth cop's partner now that we know she's a synth.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Leo and others seem to keep mentioning 5 sentient synths, but I don't think that includes her? So there definitely seem to be more, and probably loads others too.

I really like every character for what they are at this point. I think the acting is great all around.
Some more than others, but yeah pretty much all the characterisation is good so far.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:35 AM »
STILL SPOILERS

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Leo and others seem to keep mentioning 5 sentient synths, but I don't think that includes her? So there definitely seem to be more, and probably loads others too.

I assume that Leo is still considered as part of that 5, because that guy knows that Leo technically died and that there's something going on there (even though he knows he's still somewhat human). He may have determined as much as the viewer at this point.
I think the synth partner is an unknown to anyone else at this point, but I'm curious to know where she fits in. She may still be able to sub in for one of the sentient synths.

I like that Dr Millican is now involved with the main story. The conversation between Dr Millican and Niska was amusing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »
I assume that Leo is still considered as part of that 5, because that guy knows that Leo technically died and that there's something going on there (even though he knows he's still somewhat human). He may have determined as much as the viewer at this point.
We don't know for a fact that Leo ever actually died (i.e. and then was brought back as a synth) - could well be that Alster used sentient synth technology to keep Leo alive. But yet, I am also for now assuming that Leo is one of the 5.

I like that Dr Millican is now involved with the main story. The conversation between Dr Millican and Niska was amusing.
Same - I really like Dr Millican as a character and so him starting to interact with other main characters is a huge plus and makes the overall story feel more coherent. Definitely feels like it's starting to build up towards something.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »
I did not read your posts.  I'm up to episode 3 so far.  The replacement robot for Dr. George Millican seems a little evil.  I thought they are supposed to obey the human's command.  I too thought that Anita was aware but obviously she was reprogrammed.  Interesting to see the older daughter knows a bit about the robots though she seems put off by them.  I wonder why?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »
STILL SPOILERS

We don't know for a fact that Leo ever actually died (i.e. and then was brought back as a synth) - could well be that Alster used sentient synth technology to keep Leo alive. But yet, I am also for now assuming that Leo is one of the 5.

You're right. I should have said they know he supposedly died, and before that was braindead and on life support. The investigator now knows Leo probably didn't die as the records show, and I think he's put 2+2 together and figured Leo was saved using some of his father's tech. In the phone conversation they heard Leo say  "it needs all of us to run it", which implies Leo is one of those needed to run the software.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »
Non spoilery response to king

Interesting to see the older daughter knows a bit about the robots though she seems put off by them.  I wonder why?

I believe she's put off by them because she's a smart kid with a lot of potential, but has basically given up and become rebellious because the androids have replaced humans for a lot of the jobs she could have aspired to. So I think there's some bitterness there with the synths, which is why she likes trying to mess with them to put them in their place.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
Non spoilery response to king

Interesting to see the older daughter knows a bit about the robots though she seems put off by them.  I wonder why?

I believe she's put off by them because she's a smart kid with a lot of potential, but has basically given up and become rebellious because the androids have replaced humans for a lot of the jobs she could have aspired to. So I think there's some bitterness there with the synths, which is why she likes trying to mess with them to put them in their place.

And....given how intelligent she is I could see her becoming an ally to the "special" synths as well....maybe even help Anita break through the programming holding her hostage.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »
Oh I agree, I wondering if she well help Anita and embrace technology or pull away from her since she has a bias towards the robots.  It's interesting how the whole family is reacting to a robot.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
SPOILER TIME Y'ALL

In the phone conversation they heard Leo say  "it needs all of us to run it", which implies Leo is one of those needed to run the software.
Very good point, I'd forgotten that. Yeah, definitely must be including himself then.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
The husband held out longer than I thought.  :rollin and....wow, nice revelation about the Cop partner.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 12:12:41 AM »
The husband held out longer than I thought.  :rollin and....wow, nice revelation about the Cop partner.

I was like WHAT THE HELL IS SHE PULLING OUT OF HER MOUTH?!?! Ohhh............

The latest episode (UK) was again probably the best yet. It answered some big questions, and was mostly a very positive episode up until the ending. I'm not crying, that's just something in my eye.....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:36:08 AM by BlobVanDam »