Author Topic: 2015-06-25 Metropolis Fest (Minsk, Belarus) ROLL CALL & REVIEWS!  (Read 21662 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: 2015-06-25 Metropolis Fest (Minsk, Belarus) ROLL CALL & REVIEWS!
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
Interesting set. I haven't found any YouTube videos yet, has anyone else?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
THRILLED that Wither is in the setlist.  I hope it makes it to the U.S. on this tour.
And yes, Burning My Soul is awesome live.

Panic Attack and Caught in a Web feel like festival stuffers (akin to stocking stuffers), so hopefully as the tour progresses more interesting songs will emerge in the setlist.

Regardless, it looks like DT is making an effort to keep it fresh.  Just take a look at https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2015/palace-of-sports-minsk-belarus-53c96b61.html to see that many of the songs have been absent from live play for many years.

Wouldn't it be crazy if DT swaps the ACOS parts for each night, e.g., tomorrow they play Part II, and Part III at the next show, and so forth through the tour?

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »
Honestly, most of the songs were the perfect picks. These are festivals, afterall, not headlining shows of their own tour. They're gonna play the most recognized material first and foremost, and maybe a few rarities, otherwise a decent chunk of the crowd will be lost. I know they're headlining some of these festivals, but the same rule applies for headliners, as a lot of the crowd could be casual fans and only know the singles.

Afterlife-doesn't matter what song they play from WDADU following ^, so good enough, but definitely not what I would pick. Weird as an opener, and one of my least favs on the album. OAMoT would've been my pick.

Metropolis- Again, most popular song behind PMU, so logical choice. I have a feeling on their full world tour next year, this will be swapped with the only I&W song Mangini hasn't played: Take the Time.

Caught in a Web- perfect for a festival, and for this spot in the set. Fun, groovy, heavy. Although they did play it already with Mangini, it was still 4 years ago for Europe (I think?), so I think it's fine. Next year, I'd swap for either Innocence Faded or Erotomania/Voices combo, since they haven't played em with Mangini yet.

Burning My Soul- I LOVE that they're playing this. Fun song that'll be great live. This or JLMB are great for festivals. Next year, HK/LitS could be possible, I'd say.

The Spirit Carries On- Understand why it was ut in the set for festivals, but definitely shouldn't be in their set next year. Overplayed to death. I mean, I wouldn't mind cuz I haven't seen it yet, but the best choice is Home. Universally liked, best song to grab the overall story and feel of SFaM, Magini hasn't played it yet.

About to Crash-This was my pick if they needed a shorter song. I want The Glass Prison more than any other song in their catalog, but it's too long for a festival. Next year maybe? PLEASE.

As I Am- perfect festival song. And I wanna see it live so bad.

Panic Attack- ^same.

Constant Motion-^^same. I wanna see Mangini nail the solo section SO bad.

Wither- I would've picked ARoP for the festivals, but I don't love either song so I really don't care. Only song I really want off this album is TCoT which they wouldn't do if they were trying to hit all 12 albums (they only had 10 to hit when they did festivals in 2011).

Bridges in the Sky- GODDAMNIT. YES. PLAY IN THE STATES. PLEASE. Also, awesome festival song. OtBoA needs to take a break for a tour.

Behind the Veil- FINALLY LIVE. Weird to close the set with this, though I'm sure they extended the last note to do a little noodling like they always do, so it's not just DUH DUN DUH DUH kthnxbai.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
Afterlife?

YES FUCK YES

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Helicopter James first officially appeared in Burning My Soul in France in Once in a Live Time, so I expect to see some mesmeric spinning during each performance this tour.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2015, 08:40:53 PM »
Excuse the cliche, but I think that this is an EPIC setlist. I can't believe that people are bitching about this.  ???
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
People aren't. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
That setlist doesn't seem bad at all. I can live without some of them but hey, that's just me. Overall, enjoyful imo.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
13 songs to represent 12 albums and an EP.  Played in order of release.  Don't you just LOVE anniversary tours?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this entire set live (most would be a second or third time seeing them), minus About To Crash... which I don't dislike... just... meh.

It just seems like the ordering of the songs. The flow of the set, is a bit wonky.

But they had to work with what they had so... no real complaints.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »
Coincidentally, I was messing around with Six Degrees this weekend and checking out how it sounded going from About To Crash into ATCR, and thinking it would be really cool if they played those on this tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2015, 12:15:10 AM »
ATCR?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2015, 12:20:48 AM »
About To Crash (Reprise)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2015, 12:22:02 AM »
Oh

Duh.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline fillow

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2015, 03:00:27 AM »
Hi everyone. I was at the show. I was gonna to start posting here yesterday, but man, registration at this forum sucks. I mean, a captcha, 3 DT-questions AND an admin approve? Jesus. Waited for the latest the whole day yesterday.

Anyway, my 2 cents about the show. My first DT show, hopefully not the last.
It wasn't really a festival, more like a regular show with 3 support bands (25, 25 and 40 minute sets). It was indoors.
A setlist everyone discussing is right

False Awakening (tape intro)
Afterlife
Metropolis Part 1
Caught in a Web
A Change of Seasons Part something (don't remember which part, about 2 minutes long, attached to the end of CIAW as a medley)
Burning My Soul
The Spirit Carries On
About to Crash
As I Am
Panic Attack
Constant Motion
Whither
Bridges in the Sky
Behind the Veil

Before CIAW James said they're gonna play songs from each album on this tour and they did.
Later on he said they're working on the album, which is not 100% finished yet, but will be right after this tour. Planned release date is Jan 2016 and then obviously a world tour (he also promiced to come in Minsk again on that tour, but that's probably what he would say at any show).

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2015, 03:07:19 AM »
The Spirit Carries On (good video, bad audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_P9H1u7HY
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:03 AM »
   fillow thx for your review.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2015, 03:13:15 AM »
James is quite buried in the video I posted, but from what I could tell he sounds surprisingly good for a first show! Which makes me very hopeful for the rest of the tour, since he already improves a great deal normally as the legs progress!
- Marco

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2015, 03:20:42 AM »
I want to hear the backing track for Constant Motion. Should be hilarious.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2015, 03:32:36 AM »
Forevermore! Into the night! Blistering!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2015, 04:54:40 AM »
False Awakening Suite / Afterlife (partial) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3FCsmfmq8
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2015, 05:28:33 AM »
Sounding great!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2015, 05:45:41 AM »
I'm kinda  :mehlin about the setlist as well.  Some of my not so favorite songs (CIAW, Wither, BMS), and TSCO has been played to death.  Seriously, there are other good songs on that album guys.

Seems like JP did follow the 'What Would Rush Do' approach for the theme of the setlist.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »
False Awakening Suite / Afterlife (partial) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3FCsmfmq8

Wow, for a start James sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0GsRRbbRM

This is a different angle and slightly better sounding video of Afterlife.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2015, 06:47:13 AM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:54 AM »
Fantastic clips.  :metal

I'm still stunned that Afterlife is the opener, nobody saw that coming. It's a brilliant song, one of my favorites from their debut.

EDIT: Holy shit, that last note James hits at the end of Afterlife!  :hefdaddy

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2015, 07:05:04 AM »
The setlist is absolutely PERFECT for festivals...and pretty cool for DT fans in general.

I'd like to hear something from the Majesty era, but i had no luck with that wish...still good anyway ;)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
It looks like MM's kit is more compact than previously and you can see him a bit better. Taller throne or lowered stands :biggrin: It will be fun to hear his explanation of the changes if he does an interview during the tour.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »

Wow, for a start James sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0GsRRbbRM

This is a different angle and slightly better sounding video of Afterlife.
So the maze in the background video is the one the mice are running through, right? :neverusethis:

But seriously, James sounds great and I'm happy they're playing one of my all-time favorites! :tup I like the way MM plays the solo section.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this entire set live (most would be a second or third time seeing them), minus About To Crash... which I don't dislike... just... meh.

It just seems like the ordering of the songs. The flow of the set, is a bit wonky.

But they had to work with what they had so... no real complaints.
Yeah, the order could be better, now that I think about it. Afterlife is a great opener, but having Metropolis as the second song and BTV as the closer just feels so weird. Then there's the 3-song run of metal singles (As I Am through CM)...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »
The song choices are not great, and their order is even worse. Yikes. Although, I'm glad to finally hear news about the album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »
Love the setlist. For me, personally, there's only two songs that I haven't seen before, so I would change it up a bit for my own personal gain, but I still think it's great having most of the songs be new to the Mangini Era.

My set would look more like:
Only a Matter of Time (Best song I haven't seen from WDADU)
Metropolis
Caught in a Web
ACOS-I
Burning My Soul
Through Her Eyes (Between this and Regression, they'd probably play this one :P)
The Great Debate (Same as above, but with Disappear)
As I Am
Panic Attack
Repentance (Last song I need from SC)
The Best of Times (I know it's silly, but it's the only one I haven't seen from this album!)
Far From Heaven (BITS is way better, but FFH is the last song I need from ADTOE)
Behind the Veil
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
Review ? + few photos

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »

Offline genome

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »
Great pics! Visuals looks awesome!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »
Great pics! Visuals looks awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol