Author Topic: iamthemorning  (Read 7211 times)

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Re: iamthemorning
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 10:49:44 AM »
Schubert song cycles as inspiration? Sign me up. I was pumped about this before, but now I'm like...double pumped. Judging solely by the limited info we've been given, I'm most excited for the last two songs on the album.

And I agree that that artwork is fantastic. iamthemorning always has great artwork.

August can't come soon enough.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »
Not sure if there was any info there about the bell that is on the cover and where Marjana drew her inspiration to the lyrics from but that is also soo interresting (she has been feeding her Patreons with info).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
I considered signing up for her Patreon to support her but then I have a limited budget for monthly subscriptions and I don't know what to drop from the ones I'm already signed for, so I guess I'll pass for now and will save the money for concerts and the stuff they release. Especially with the currency rates right now in Russia. The ticket for the latest gig cost me ~$7. Patreon is at least $5 a month. I feel it's more foreign-oriented too, considering Marjana has to prove to the UK folks she earns enough to live there on a constant basis.

I don't think there was any info about that, she certainly didn't talk about bells during the show or after it (from what I've heard of), but I'm sure it'll come up in the interviews as the release date growls closer.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 11:52:09 AM »
The Bell coming on August 2nd

As posted on the previous page of the thread :P But it's good to see more people interested in it!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2019, 03:39:09 AM »
What's the inscription on the stone?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2019, 06:10:25 AM »
What's the inscription on the stone?

Bit hard to read behind the greanery but to me it looks like

UNVAN___ where possibly CE is in the ___???

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »
Looks like UNVANQU to me. Unvanquished with some letters missing?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2019, 05:32:29 AM »
Stumbled upon pictures from the Moscow gig this morning and hey, actually found one with my face in it. :biggrin: I'm on the right.

The rest of the photos, in case anyone's interested: https://vk.com/album552886_265001482

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2019, 06:33:16 AM »
On the far right? To the right of the pretty lady with the blue blouse?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2019, 06:37:29 AM »
Yep.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 04:29:38 AM »
The bell on the cover is a depiction of a coffin bell - the Victorians were terrified of being buried alive, and so there was a brief vogue for having a bell attached to the headstone, with a cord leading down into the coffin, so that the inhumed could ring the bell to alert people that they were still alive.

Anyway, really looking forward to this, Ocean Sounds was superb.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 05:44:32 AM »
The bell on the cover is a depiction of a coffin bell - the Victorians were terrified of being buried alive, and so there was a brief vogue for having a bell attached to the headstone, with a cord leading down into the coffin, so that the inhumed could ring the bell to alert people that they were still alive.
Huh, I wonder if one of the songs will deal with a poetic subject wondering whether to ring the bell or just lie there and die.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 10:00:54 AM »
I bet it will. It sounds like a typical iamthemorning song subject, now that you put it like that.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »
The Bell is now up for preorder on iamthemornings bandcamp.

There are some wonderful special editions.... I ordered the one with a bronze bell.

https://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/album/the-bell

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
Same, ordered the big CD package with the bell. :tup

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2019, 05:53:08 AM »
The first single, Ghost of a Story, is out now. First impression: easily one of their best songs. And that's saying something

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2019, 07:45:10 AM »
Heard it live already. :P It's pretty much nothing new from them, but it just so happens that I love their music so I'm fine with that. The song is very good.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
The first single, Ghost of a Story, is out now. First impression: easily one of their best songs. And that's saying something

Love how the video to it is recorded live...

Trying not to listen more than once before the album drops.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2019, 03:47:15 PM »
I am listenig to this album just now and I am speechless!!! This is a fantastic album.

:metal

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »
The new album "The Bell" just dropped yesterday. It's pretty much exactly what I expected and it's at the same level of quality as their past three albums. Salute is probably my favorite song off the album (and imo one of their best), but I will acknowledge it's a lil weird. Not really a song I actively disliked on there, which has been the case for the last three albums too.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
It's a great album, and yet another contender for album of the year in what has been a year full of great albums.

This is so full, so sumptuous, it's going to take multiple listens to really reveal itself. I love it - their strongest yet, and like you say, no obvious filler either. Only real problem - it's too short!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »
I got the album late last week but I've been listening to Gleb's solo album a lot lately. Not sure why I didn't play it when it was released but damn...crazy good. Loved how Gavin Harrison's drumming is on this one, a bit different on what I'm used to hearing him.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2019, 05:40:01 AM »
Two things.....

1. Found out that Gleb Kolyadin has been releasing instrumental music under the moniquer Poloniumcubes at bandcamp.

https://poloniumcubes.bandcamp.com

Very soothing music

2. iamthemornings touring drummer, Evan Carson, has released a soloalbum (cowritten by Gleb Kolyadin)

https://evancarsondrums.bandcamp.com/album/ocipinski

For me, this is a strong contender for album of the year

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2019, 06:21:03 AM »
If you, like me, can't get enough of Marjanas voice I have found some guest spots

I am waiting for you last summer - Obsessed by
https://iwfyls.bandcamp.com/track/obsessed-by-feat-m-of-iamthemorning

Celestial Teapot - Nacreous
https://celestialteapotindia.bandcamp.com/track/nacreous-ft-marjana-semkina

Echoes and Signals - Lead Astray
https://echoesandsignals.bandcamp.com/track/lead-astray-feat-marjana-semkina

As you should already know she also guests on Wired for Madness by Jordan Rudess.

There is also an icelandic folksong at:
https://marjanasemkina.bandcamp.com/album/land-m-ns-f-ur

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2019, 11:19:50 AM »
Lighthouse with Mariusz Duda from their recent European tour where they opened for Riverside. Not sure if it's on YouTube but it popped up on my Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2429903577336731

Also seeing them tomorrow, they're supposed to have Evan Carson's album at the merch stand so hopefully I'll be able to grab one and get it signed.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
Setlist

Also seeing them tomorrow, they're supposed to have Evan Carson's album at the merch stand so hopefully I'll be able to grab one and get it signed.

This went successfully enough, most people were speaking to Marjana so I had a nice chat with Evan (as did a few other people who approached him) and I actually happened to grab a red pen from my working place so the signatures by Evan and Gleb ended up fitting the album cover so well:

Didn't bother Gleb (except for the signature and to remind him he promised to put out his solo album piano notes last time) or Marjana as I mostly have all their albums signed, Evan was the friendliest guy ever though. I'm glad he's becoming somewhat of a regular with iamthemorning, he fits the band so well both performance-wise and attitude-wise. Also, the band exchanged our ugly e-tickets for these beautiful ones (see photos), and it's such an easy and nice gesture but I'm over the moon about this. Damn, these tickets are fantastic.

The merch stand was excessive tonight. All their albums on CD, vinyls, two t-shirts, tote bags, bells, five different pins, Evan's album, probably more stuff that I haven't noticed. If you guys ever need something obscure from this band signed by Marjana and Gleb, let me know and I'll do my best to get it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
Wish I could see them live now with
The Bell out. How were the new songs live?

Also wish I could see Evan Carson do Ocipinski live.... I totally love that album.

Glad you got it signed and talked to him, he seems like a very likeable fellow.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
Wish I could see them live now with
The Bell out. How were the new songs live?

Also wish I could see Evan Carson do Ocipinski live.... I totally love that album.

Glad you got it signed and talked to him, he seems like a very likeable fellow.

Missed this post, the new songs were interesting, now that I was more familiar with them. I thought the transition between Sleeping Beauty and Blue Sea was amazing, with Marjana playing guitar on Blue Sea. Ghost of a Story is my favourite from the album and it's great live. Freak Show isn't that impressive live at least with only a drummer and a cellist, it lacked some oomph to my taste, although that was probably the only song where Evan got to drum in earnest. Also they played Lilies which, as they said, they're only playing if they have a proper grand piano on stage. Gleb is such a beast, it's fascinating to watch him play that one. Gleb also wanted to do a seamless transition from Lilies to Salute but Marjana interrupted that with a story so the transition didn't happen :lol The title track is also very impressive live.

I'd say Blue Sea, Ghost of a Story, Lilies and The Bell work really great in a live setting. We'll see about the other songs, I assume I'll see them at least a few more times live in the next few years.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »
Thanks for the info......

I will get to see some new songs as I have tickets for The Flower Kings  in Stockholm on the 14th of December.

Kayak has had to cancel due to health issues by Ton Scherpenzeel and are replaced with

iamthemorning
and
Rickard Sjöblom

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
Excited for you, everyone who will see them, and the band themselves! Let us know how it goes.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
Marjana has cowritten two songs on Blurring Into Motion, an album by Charlie Cawood. She also sings on those two songs and Evan Carson plays bodhran and shakers on the album.

Check out a lyric video for Falling Into Blue, one of the two Marjana Semkina songs:

https://youtu.be/tcVSvEhrYJA

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2019, 06:02:07 AM »
Today is the day:

Marjana tweeted this:

Today is the day. Check my socials at 3 GMT or @kscopemusic at 4 for a lot of flowers and dead things. 🌸💀

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
Hmm, I see nothing new...
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste