Author Topic: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!  (Read 25344 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!
« Reply #350 on: February 06, 2024, 07:52:13 PM »
Do you guys know if they are selling like signed vinyls (and which ones)? Shirts?

Actually didn't get a great look at the merch to answer this.  I know they sold shirts and vinyl though, not sure if any of the vinyl were signed or which ones.

Were they selling the new Myrath cd?  :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: February 08, 2024, 10:46:42 AM »
Just wondering if anyone knows the meaning behind the cover artwork and album title?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: February 08, 2024, 11:12:00 AM »
Just wondering if anyone knows the meaning behind the cover artwork and album title?

Sam Vallen elaborated on the album title in the interview with Fritzinger for LotsOfMuzik:

LOM: Can you tell us a little about what the album title means? As a non-native English speaker, I would love to hear a little bit about that.

SV: I see it’s probably a weird one in that regard. “Charcoal Grace” in one sense is a very abstract title. It is supposed to be something that uses language in a poetic way to just make you think of something, to make your mind go somewhere it might not normally. In the song “Vigil”, the third part of the “Charcoal Grace” suite we use the words charcoal grace as a personification of silence. If you literally deconstruct the word “charcoal grace”, you’ve got “charcoal”, like the end of something, the final result (if you want to be really literal) of a fire. And “grace”, the idea of being elegant and being poised. So, the idea is that there is a beauty in stillness, a beauty in silence, a sense of spaciousness in silence. But there is also, in that same silence, a kind of grimness, a kind of darkness to it. We really wanted it to be a title that (although I just deconstructed it probably more than I would personally like) is supposed to be thought-provoking. Hopefully it gives you a good sense of the silence we’re talking about, particularly in that song suite, but more so something that you could probably read a bunch of other ways that maybe even I’m not anticipating.

The interview was posted earlier in the thread:

I will interview Sam Vallen tomorrow night, do you guys have any questions you'd want me to ask him?

Hey buddy, we published your interview today (video and transcript). I really LOVED this one, it was like Sam was so into it that he could have talked for hours.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/an-exclusive-interview-with-sam-vallen-of-caligulas-horse/

:metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #353 on: February 09, 2024, 03:17:50 AM »
I can see that a lot of listeners have a hard time getting into the title suite and I can relate, it's not clicking with me. The rest of the album is really good, though. The opener is my favorite, Mute is close, but the guys are nailing the shorter songs once again, just like it was the case on Rise radiant. Golem is a hit, Sails is a grower. Nice album overall.  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: February 09, 2024, 07:16:34 AM »
I can see that a lot of listeners have a hard time getting into the title suite and I can relate, it's not clicking with me. The rest of the album is really good, though. The opener is my favorite, Mute is close, but the guys are nailing the shorter songs once again, just like it was the case on Rise radiant. Golem is a hit, Sails is a grower. Nice album overall.  :tup

Basically exactly how I feel.  I kind of gave up on trying to "get" the title track and just accept that it's a decent song with some great parts, but not a great epic as a whole.  That's OK, the rest of the album is killer.  And after seeing some of these songs live, it just re-confirmed my opinion that The World Breathes With Me is the best song on the album and maybe better than anything on Rise Radiant as well. I can't stop listening to that song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #355 on: February 09, 2024, 07:29:03 AM »
I can see that a lot of listeners have a hard time getting into the title suite and I can relate, it's not clicking with me.
I've definitely seen this around a bit.  I didn't feel that way at all.  I wonder if my long hiatus away from listening to the band has anything to do with that?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #356 on: February 21, 2024, 07:57:51 AM »
Show tonight!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2024, 01:05:33 AM »
Damn... Won't be forgetting that show anytime soon. Graves live is an easy top ten all time song, and the Berkeley crowd was fucking insane, such a huge pit rolling most of the evening. What a fucking blast.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #358 on: February 24, 2024, 06:51:33 PM »
trying their debut. never listened to this band before
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #359 on: February 25, 2024, 02:01:32 AM »
The debut is underdeveloped. But the first track is stellar and representative of things to come.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #360 on: February 25, 2024, 11:32:25 AM »
trying their debut. never listened to this band before

The two songs that hooked me are Firelight and Turntail.

Graves is also great.

Off the new album, The Stormchaser is really good.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #361 on: February 25, 2024, 06:13:10 PM »
i've been listening to everything. good stuff! i think my favorite so far is In Contact
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline NoFred

« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2024, 08:10:53 PM »
i've been listening to everything. good stuff! i think my favorite so far is In Contact

Songs for No One is my hype song… play it before all of my work meetings it goes big and keeps going.

Saw them a couple of weeks ago - The World Breathes With Me and Mute are both great additions from their latest. Graves doesn’t grab me much though.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2024, 02:03:56 AM »
after a few spins, charcoal grace is solidifying as their most dark and mature record to date, which is astonishing considering the back catalogue. got the tickets for milan and it's going to be my first VIP experience ever!!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #364 on: April 23, 2024, 08:31:55 AM »
Caligula's Horse have released a new Live Audiotree album. It's only four songs, so spinning this next...

https://open.spotify.com/album/7dn05HkmWPeXaVyB9PwAOl?si=TIsDdirUTX2fKMfzQeSbhg

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #365 on: April 23, 2024, 11:24:22 AM »
Caligula's Horse have released a new Live Audiotree album. It's only four songs, so spinning this next...

https://open.spotify.com/album/7dn05HkmWPeXaVyB9PwAOl?si=TIsDdirUTX2fKMfzQeSbhg

I am watching the video premier on YouTube now.

https://youtu.be/HFHpGqwBUn8?si=FQmqfuT2STqvTIw4
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD