Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette II: Electric Boogaloo - IT'S OVER!  (Read 17167 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette II: Electric Boogaloo - ROUND 2, FIGHT!
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
Fair enough. Will send something in a while ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2015, 05:22:45 AM »
Sent.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »
Got everyone except Dr. DTVT.

This round's shaping up to be a lot better than Round 1, so for those of you that get low rankings, just be aware that the competition was really tough.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2015, 11:16:02 AM »
 :lol

right
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
Sent....Sigh *nuggetz*

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Results tomorrow!

In addition, since I'm not giving out numbered scores in this roulette, I thought you guys could use an easy way for telling which of your submissions I liked more than your others. As such, I added something to the first post: contestant song rankings. These will get updated after each round, and will rank your submissions (yours only, not compared to anyone elses) from my favorite to my least favorite. This is just a way for you to tell which songs you sent me I liked the most, so you can get a better idea of my tastes and maybe adjust your future submissions accordingly.

By the way, those rankings are updated for round 2 already, though the song names are blank for now. Think of it as a little teaser for the full results. :) Like I said before, this round was much stronger than the first, as evidenced by nearly every submission this round being an improvement from your last!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »
Nice.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
interesting

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
Yeah, figured this wasn't the best choice. Probably last place for me this time. :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »
That's a neat little thing.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 12:15:32 AM »
That's a neat little thing.

Definitely. Cool idea, Buddy.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
I think I might actually steal this and use it in my roulette too, is it a bad thing?  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »
I think I might actually steal this and use it in my roulette too, is it a bad thing?  :lol

Go for it.

In the middle of writing write-ups, results should be up in an hour-ish.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 11:54:32 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »
---ROUND 2 RESULTS---

1st Place: senecadawg2
Kauan - Aidin Laulu

First thing's first, this song is absolutely beautiful. It's sort of a neo folk / post-rock song with a ton of atmosphere, and while there are some metal elements throughout and even harsh vocals for a brief section, they really aren't the focus. The majority of the song is very laid-back, tranquil, and, as I said before, beautiful as hell. This would have been absolutely perfect for an atmospheric round submission, as I'm willing to bet that this is going to be one of the most atmospheric songs I'll get in the entire roulette. In particular, the whole section of the song from about three minutes in until nine minutes or so is some of the best atmospheric music I've heard in a long, long time. The choice of instruments is perfect; violin, piano, some soft synths and pads… it all comes together to create a vivid mental environment and a soothing peacefulness that I can just get completely lost in. My absolute favorite part would probably be the piano melody that comes in at the four minute mark… just perfect. Despite the focus on calm, peaceful clean sections, the metal elements surprisingly don't feel out of place. The distorted guitar works pretty well when it's there, giving the sound a bit of extra power when it needs it. Also, can I mention how refreshing it is for music like this to have a great, clear production? The only complaint I can think of for this song is that it doesn't have much of a climax, it just kinda works its way to a certain point and then fades out, but the journey to that destination is so amazing that it hardly matters. All I can say is thank you for sending this, and thank you Dr. DTVT for sending Enslaved last round, causing senecadawg to send this. :lol

2nd Place: mikemangioy
Nevermore - I, Voyager

Fun fact: I also got a Nevermore song for my second round during my first roulette. That song was My Acid Words, and while I liked it, I didn't think it was fantastic or anything. This song, though, is much better in my opinion. The raw, heavy sound works really well, and the tempo gives the song a lot of energy and a frantic, driving pace that I really like. The rhythm guitar work in this song is fantastic; definitely the best thing about it. There are a ton of really awesome 7-string riffs, especially the one before and after the guitar solo and the really low one that comes right before when the vocals enter. Speaking of the vocals, I find myself getting into them a lot more here than I did in My Acid Words. They have this harmonized effect that gives them a warped, dissonant feel to them, which I think works really well. This is definitely a style of metal I really enjoy, and the song itself is great as well. Nice job.

3rd Place: Sacul
David Maxim Micic - Smile

This song is certainly interesting. A lot of people in the comments compare it to something off of Devin Townsend's Addicted, and yeah, that album certainly seems like it was a heavy influence when it comes to this songs sound that mixes heavy, djenty riffs with more pop-oriented, happy melodies. Now, Addicted just happens to be one of my favorite albums of all time, so you bet your ass I was happy to discover more music that has that kind of vibe. The intro in particular sounds like it could have been taken directly from that album, and it happens to easily be my favorite part of the song. I love how it goes from clean guitar and a really nice piano melody to the same progression but with distortion, and the synth melody that comes in shortly afterwords works really well. The fact that this section never gets reprised later on makes me sad. The chorus is also great; it's incredibly catchy, and the vocal delivery has a ton of power to it. Speaking of vocals, not only can the vocalist really belt out those high melodies in the chorus, but she also does some really intense harsh vocals during the verses. Yup, female harsh vocals. They were a bit jarring at first, but they've grown on me a bit. My main complaint with this song is that the song structure goes all over the place, and things can get incohesive. Some sections feel a bit out of place, like the aforementioned verses and the Jeff Loomis guitar solo at the end. (Hey, two Jeff Loomis appearances in one round!) Some sections feel VERY out of place, like after the second chorus where the song kinda dissolves into a somewhat generic-sounding djent riff, which then transitions into an extremely weird section with operatic vocals and a fucked up rhythm. It's incredibly bizarre, and not in a good way; I think the song would have been better off if that section was cut entirely, as it doesn't fit in at all. Thankfully, the section that follows afterwards works really well and gets the song back on track with a calm break and a powerful wall of sound progression that transitions back into the final chorus very nicely. Well, this write-up is a lot longer than I wanted it to be, but I had a lot to say about this one. It certainly has its problems, but at the same time, when this song works, it REALLY works, and I certainly plan on checking out the full album sometime soon, as I feel like it certainly has potential to be awesome.

4th Place: Scorpion
Alkaloid - Cthulhu

Now here's a pretty brutal death metal song. It's got a pretty slow tempo, which I really enjoy, along with the very low, guttural growls which sound really nice. Where this song really shines however is in its dark, murky, and creepy atmosphere. This vibe is especially strong in the verses, which quiet things down a bit and rely more on subtle textures and building tension, rather than all-out heaviness and guitar riffs. This contrast works really well; the verses are the highlight of the song for me, and without them I feel like the song would have gotten a bit boring. The guitar work is really strong; both in the sludgy riffs in the louder sections and how it adds to the atmosphere during the calmer parts. I especially like how the lead guitar stays in the background for the most part and adds in little dissonant flourishes that contribute to the atmosphere. While this song has less problems than Sacul's submission, his left more of an impact on me, as the huge write-up probably conveys, so I ended up ranking his submission just above yours. Still, great song.

5th Place: Evermind
Need - Symmetrape

There's a pretty large quality gap in-between this and the above song, but that's only because the top four this round was so incredibly strong, because this song's still pretty good. I'd still classify it as prog metal, though there's more of an emphasis on riffs and rhythms than melody. It has a bit of an old-school metal vibe in the sound, which is nice. The aforementioned riffs and rhythms are both done well, no complains there. Overall, though, this song just seemed pretty average. It doesn't have any real problems, but at the same time there's nothing all that noteworthy or memorable.

6th Place: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Mirrorthrone - So Frail

Here we've got a very gothic-sounding symphonic death metal song. I really like the intro, especially when the vocals drop out and a somber violin enters, followed by some creepy harmonized guitars before the full band kicks in. The harsh vocals in this song are pretty great; I just wish there were more of them, as the clean vocals… leave a lot to be desired. Same goes for the overall sound of this song, it's a bit cheesy, and something about it just feels kinda amateurish. Could be the subpar production, the melodies, the heavily-gothic sound just not clicking with me, or a bit of all of the above. There still are some good sections though; I especially like the little melodic bits after each chorus, some of the sections with harsh vocals, and the intro, as I mentioned before. Looking through the comments, apparently this was used as the final boss theme for Brutal Legend? I never played that game, but I can sorta see this song working in that kind of context. By itself though, it doesn't do all that much for me.

7th Place: Lucien
Igor Stravinski - The Rite Of Spring: Sacrificial Dance

Aaaand more classical music. The good news is that I liked this one better than your last submission. It's very dramatic, and yes, by classical standards, pretty heavy. There's not much melody, instead everything is very percussive, which is still the case with most heavy music today. There's also a good amount of dynamics; some quiet parts to break things up and build tension, as well as a lot of loud payoffs. The piece just gets more and more intense towards the end, which is nice. Sooo yeah. Not bad, but still not something I'd go out of my way to listen to. Anyways, I'm going to politely ask you to not send classical music for every single round this roulette. I made this roulette to A: find new music that I really like and B: create a fun, competitive environment for my contestants, and exclusively submitting music from a genre I'm not that keen on doesn't contribute to either purpose, especially when you're taking up a spot that could have been used by someone else. I know you don't listen to as many bands as most of the people on here, but still, I'm sure you'd be able to find at least something.

8th Place: Dr. DTVT
Sigh - Graveward

First place to last. Damn, I didn't expect that to happen, let alone so quickly. But yeah… I didn't hate this song or anything, but I didn't really like it. It's avant-garde metal with a very halloween / Scooby Doo sound to it. They capture that vibe extremely well, so kudos to them, but it's just not really something I enjoy or can take all that seriously. The band throws a ton of different instruments into this song, which is interesting, but at the same time a bit silly-sounding at times. It is a pretty silly song though, so hey, I guess it fits. I don't really like the vocalist's high-pitched clean vocals, and the mix feels like all the instruments that should be in the background are up front while the guitars and drums are way too quiet. I can see some people getting into this, but unfortunately, this song just didn't do anything for me. Sigh… (sorry, I had to.)

Artists banned this round: Kauan, Nevermore, David Maxim Micic

THE SCORE SO FAR:
senecadawg2: 18
Scorpion: 16
mikemangioy: 15
Dr. DTVT: 13
Evermind: 13
Sacul: 13
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 9
Lucien: 7

Dr. DTVT drops, lots of people are tied at 13 points, and senecadawg shoots to the top! Could we be seeing a repeat of his domination my first roulette? The rankings are going to be pretty unstable this roulette, so you never know what could happen.

As for Round 3, send me something atmospheric. This is a good chance to send me something more quiet, but it's by no means a requirement, as there's also plenty of music out there that is both heavy and atmospheric. Good luck!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »
Oh, I expected the last place, so I'm kind of satisfied with the result. I've got two songs outlined for two atmospheric rounds, one is a longer progressive rock track and the other is a beautiful ballad, so now I just need to decide which one I should said first.

Offline mikemangioy

Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette II: Electric Boogaloo - ROUND 3, FIGHT!
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 12:41:13 PM »
Niiice to see some Nevermore love, I agree with what you said about the vocals  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »
Alright, sent the 11 minutes long progressive rock song. Something I've discovered in my roulette thanks to one of the players who's also participating here.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »
Nice! Definitely check the album - the song works much better in that context because some section are reprised all over the record, forming a huge, cohesive piece.

Will send some ambient.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »
Glad you enjoyed! I felt kind of weird sending it for the heavy round, given that it could have just as easily been sent for the atmospheric round, but I thought it was close enough to count. Especially considering the vocals. Anyways, I'd highly recommend that full album if you ever get the chance to check it out.

Next up I'm going to change pace a little bit.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 01:34:03 PM »
Woohoo! You should check out the whole album, I'm 99% sure that it's right up your alley.

Atmosphere... will have to think on this. I have several songs that would work splendidly.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »
oh dear

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 02:25:32 PM »
Sigh isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you have to try them to find out.

Hopefully this next song will redeem me...and if it doesn't hopefully some other people will come in to chime in you are wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
While I agree that Sigh isn't everyone's cup of tea, I don't think that Graveward is a good introductory song. I usually go with Purgatorium or Corpsecry / Angelfall.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2015, 01:53:35 AM »
Sent btw

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
Need submissions from Lucien and Scorpion.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
But I've sent Need last round.

:neverusethis:

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
Results tomorrow. Pretty polarized round, if the updated contestant rankings are any indication:

senecadawg2
1: Kauan - Aiden Laulu
2: Headspace - Invasion
3: ???

Sacul
1: David Maxim Micic - Smile
2: Refused - New Noise

Evermind
1: ???
2: Beyond The Bridge - The Call
3: Need - Symmetrape

Scorpion
1: Alkaloid - Cthulhu
2: Kalmah - Rust Never Sleeps

mikemangioy
1: Nevermore - I, Voyager
2: The Mars Volta - Son Et Lumiere / Intertiatic E.S.P.

Shadow Ninja 2.0
2: Mirrorthrone - So Frail
3: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Prancer

Lucien
1: Igor Stravinski - The Rite Of Spring: Sacrificial Dance
2: Beethoven - Symphony #5, Movement IV

Dr. DTVT
2: Enslaved - Clouds
3: Sigh - Graveward

Edit: Wow, Round 1 is in the middle for everyone except Shadow Ninja. Swear that wasn't intentional. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »
Apparently my song was pretty good? Or better than the others at least. :lol

I have no idea what the fuck it was though. I think I typically forget my song ten seconds after I send it. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »
Damn it, not again :facepalm:

Offline Lucien

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »
fuck

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »
Ok, that looks pretty good.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 12:18:58 AM »
So you liked it. More than the song I won round 1 with?  Good...good

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 01:39:07 AM »
Well that experiment probably didn't pay off.