Author Topic: Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill turns 20 today, June 13 2015  (Read 1733 times)

Offline erwinrafael

This came out while I was entering college. To this day, it remains my favorite album by a female artist. So honest, and, while very angsty, it also sounded so mature and, ironically, optimistic. Three things I learned with Jagged Little Pill:

1) Songs with angry and angsty lyrics are not reserved for male artists in pop music.
2) You can channel negative energy into a thing of timeless beauty.
3) Life can be a bitch, but you can always look for a silver lining.

As Alanis put it in You Learn:

"You live, you learn
You love, you learn
You cry, you learn
You lose, you learn
You bleed, you learn
You scream, you learn"

Or better yet, in the ending of Ironic:

"Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill turns 20 today, June 13 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 01:25:03 AM »
She had some great lyrics at times but unfortunately for me her voice is mostly like fingernails on a chalk board.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline mrrct

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:22:58 AM »
I agree with both of you.  It is definitely one of, if not the, best album ever by a female artist.  The songwriting is especially good, good enough to offset her unique (to be kind) voice.  None of her subsequent albums even approach this one.  Although I got Under Rug Swept and So-Called Chaos second-hand and cheap, I couldn't even make it through either of them, and Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie isn't much better.  Since the first one sold like hotcakes in an era where artists could still make a lot of money on album sales, I think she lost her edge after the first record, losing all of her bitterness and pent up anger, which fueled the songwriting in the first place.  Without them, she became just another coffee house singer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:27:41 AM »
I absolutely love "So-Called Chaos".  It's a killer album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »
1995 is what I refer to as the Ice Age in my life. I listened to this album a ton and actually took in a show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »
It was OK, but I felt she was a little overrated.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
My brother owned JLP so I never got around to buying it yet I had just gotten heavily into grunge at that time (listening to albums in full instead of singles) so I had a lot on my plate and never quite got around to anything more than the singles. I always thought All I Really Want got shortchanged in terms of appreciation though. Seldom mentioned and no video despite being a radio song. Great lineup of singles though and most people still don't know that the guitar and bass on You Oughta Know were performed by the two current (at that time) Red Hot Chili Peppers whom played those instruments, Flea and Dave Navarro.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:43:25 PM »
Solid albu. Too bad in the years hence countless drunk  chicks pissed off at their boyfriends destroyed it for me in karaoke.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
This is a pretty damn good album. Both One Hand In My Pocket and Mary Jane are songs that are extremely close to my heart, the first because it's a nice summary of how I view myself and my relationship to the world in my more optimistic moments, and Mary Jane because it's almost the same in my less optimistic ones.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
I liked it at the time, but didn't age well with me.  Haven't heard it in many years.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
Cool version of You Oughta Know:

Alanis Morissette “You Oughta Know” on the Howard Stern Show
Nice version!  Thanks!  She definitely doesn't fall into my sphere of music, but JLP  really caught my attention.  Very good album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 08:29:26 AM »
I like this album more than I should for the station I occupy in life, but for me, the acoustic version is essential. THAT is a great album, top to bottom.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 08:59:52 AM »
This and Matchbox Twenty's  Yourself or Someone like You (along with SFAM) where part of my high school soundtrack.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 10:46:36 AM »
Man this album was huge at the time, though I never liked it, outside of You Learn, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Damn just looked this up, it sold 24+ million copies? Making it 13th on the most sold albums list on Wikipedia's page? Jeepers!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »
Man this album was huge at the time, though I never liked it, outside of You Learn, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Damn just looked this up, it sold 24+ million copies? Making it 13th on the most sold albums list on Wikipedia's page? Jeepers!
Well hell...  I think my ex's bought half of those.. :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »
And Dave Coulier will forever be a legend.  ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
I have a friend who will say, any time the subject of Alanis Morrissette or JLP comes up, that "if you were a guy in the mid-90s and heard JLP and weren't scared shitless, then you weren't paying attention."  He's a rather odd dude.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »
I have a friend who will say, any time the subject of Alanis Morrissette or JLP comes up, that "if you were a guy in the mid-90s and heard JLP and weren't scared shitless, then you weren't paying attention."  He's a rather odd dude.

HAHA, my roommate's girlfriend/now wife was constantly trying to set me up with her friend and we (my roommate and I) took to calling her "Alanis", and it was for that very reason.  She was a nice girl, cute, but very intense, and I was not a little scared of her.  :)