Author Topic: Questionable Content (webcomic)  (Read 124622 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Questionable Content (webcomic)
« Reply #1155 on: June 10, 2015, 10:05:34 PM »
Yup. I still read it every day for some reason. Probably because it's easy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1156 on: June 10, 2015, 10:35:55 PM »
Same here.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1157 on: June 11, 2015, 03:49:37 AM »
Man, this comic has gotten really emotional and much more interesting. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: June 11, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »
I stopped following it a few months ago, it just didn't seem to keep my attention anymore. I'll probably go on a binge in the future sometime and catch up with it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1159 on: June 11, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »

It's changed a lot over its run.  What started out as a surreal, sometimes slapstick look at indie life has become a true serial in the soap opera sense, but one that's willing to explore various social issues.  It's been an interesting evolution.

Personally, I don't know if I find it more interesting now that it's more sophisticated, but I find myself invested in the characters and am always curious to see what happens next, so there is that.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1160 on: June 11, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »

It's changed a lot over its run.  What started out as a surreal, sometimes slapstick look at indie life has become a true serial in the soap opera sense, but one that's willing to explore various social issues.  It's been an interesting evolution.

Personally, I don't know if I find it more interesting now that it's more sophisticated, but I find myself invested in the characters and am always curious to see what happens next, so there is that.
And that's exactly the aspect that I love the most about it. It's characters are very real and believable with real problems and Jeph isn't afraid to explore various topics, be it relationsships, suicide, alcoholism, emotional trauma, transsexualism and much more. (Loooong before DTF started arguing about the topic. :lol ) I admire the comic for it.

I've never understood why people here seems to dismiss the comic, I think it's brilliant.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1161 on: June 11, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
I don't dismiss it, but as it evolved, it lost pretty much everything that attracted me to it in the first place.  Pintsize is a sentient little robot, and they had some fun playing around with various "upgrades" to his hardware.  The VespAvenger and Pizza Girl provided some surrealism in the form of pseudo-superheroes (superheroines?) and it became a running joke that we never really knew exactly what was going on with them.  Steve's girlfriend who may or may not be a secret agent, and Steve too for that matter.  I liked that.  The weirdness, the willingness to not take itself seriously.

Now, it has definitely become more serious, more sophisticated.  Jeph seems to waver between working in the sci-fi angle (the sentient ship run by Hannelore's father and Momo seem to be the only remnants of that) and just forgetting about it (literally and figuratively) and just proceeding with the drama.  I can see how that would be more interesting to some people, but I still miss the not-serious side of things.  I have enough drama in my real life; webcomics to me are for escapism, not more drama.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1162 on: June 14, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Well, he's doing this whole let me tell how I dealt with alcoholism arc through Faye, which is getting kind of too much of a downer for me

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1163 on: June 15, 2015, 01:12:29 AM »
I don't dismiss it, but as it evolved, it lost pretty much everything that attracted me to it in the first place.  Pintsize is a sentient little robot, and they had some fun playing around with various "upgrades" to his hardware.  The VespAvenger and Pizza Girl provided some surrealism in the form of pseudo-superheroes (superheroines?) and it became a running joke that we never really knew exactly what was going on with them.  Steve's girlfriend who may or may not be a secret agent, and Steve too for that matter.  I liked that.  The weirdness, the willingness to not take itself seriously.

Now, it has definitely become more serious, more sophisticated.  Jeph seems to waver between working in the sci-fi angle (the sentient ship run by Hannelore's father and Momo seem to be the only remnants of that) and just forgetting about it (literally and figuratively) and just proceeding with the drama.  I can see how that would be more interesting to some people, but I still miss the not-serious side of things.  I have enough drama in my real life; webcomics to me are for escapism, not more drama.
Fair enough.  :tup I can certainly see why someone might prefer that side of the comic.