Author Topic: How to patent an idea or IP  (Read 898 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
How to patent an idea or IP
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:43:11 AM »
Anybody know how to patent an idea, or intellectual property?

I've got some invention ideas, probably don't have the resources to create a prototype, but I want to sell the intellectual property at some point, and possibly retain like 1% royalties or something.

Anybody ever do this or have any ideas for the process?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: How to patent an idea or IP
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
Oh cool. Thanks

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »
But you have a lot of legwork to do.  If it was as easy as "Hey! I have an idea!  I'm going to make 1% in perpetuity!" everyone would do it.

You have to have reduced that idea to practice, meaning, it has to be tangible.  If you just say "Hmmm, it would be really cool to have pencil erasers that taste like cherry!" or "Wouldn't it be neat to have a little portable handle for your weiner when you go to the men's room so you don't spread germs?", that's not enough to be patentable. 

Remember also, patents are simply the right to stop others from using your innovation, not the other way around.  Many patents have little licensing value because they build on other patents that prevent them from being used.  Think of the pencil and the eraser.  Just because you thought of the eraser, doesn't mean it's worth anything unless you also have the right to make the pencil itself. 

If you're serious, you may want to contact an attorney; I would stay away from those clearinghouses that advertise for your ideas; they WILL take some or all of the proceeds from the patent.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
"Wouldn't it be neat to have a little portable handle for your weiner when you go to the men's room so you don't spread germs?",

lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 02:06:03 AM »
"Wouldn't it be neat to have a little portable handle for your weiner when you go to the men's room so you don't spread germs?",

lol

I think you should pursue this idea. You could sell them in various sizes and colors. I'd never leave the house without mine.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again