Author Topic: Virtual Reality  (Read 12827 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Virtual Reality
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
I found this list while browsing, I think it's pretty accurate:

Rift:
What comes in the box?
  • Rift headset
  • Tracking Sensor
  • Xbox One wireless controller
  • Oculus Remote
  • Lucky's Tale, Eve: Valkyrie
What other accessories can I buy or is possibly required?
  • Touch Controllers
  • Virtuix Omni Source
Tracking System
  • Contellation: Uses an optical sensor (eventually two) connected to the PC to detect the headset's and controllers' positions in space. Please read the source for more information of room scale requirements.

Vive:
What's in the box?
  • Vive Headset
  • Two tracking sensors
  • Wall mounts for sensors Source
  • Two wireless VR controllers
  • Link box
  • Earbuds
  • Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption, The Lab, and Tilt Brush by Google.
  • Virtuix Omni Source
Tracking System
  • Lighthouse: The Vive's "Lighthouse" base stations emit lasers that photosensors on the headset and motion controllers track to determine their own positions in space. Please read the source for more information of room scale requirements.[/i]
PlayStation VR:
What's in the box?
  • VR Headset
  • Breakout Box
  • Earbuds
  • PlayStation Move controllers
  • PlayStation Camera (Required)
  • PlayStation VR Bundle:
  • PS VR headset
  • PS VR cables
  • Earbuds
  • PlayStation VR Demo Disc
  • PlayStation Camera
  • 2 PlayStation Move motion controllers
  • PlayStation VR Worlds (disc)
Tracking System
  • Uses the PlayStation Camera to track the position of the headset and controllers.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
I've never had a great understanding of how the second focus method works in conjunction with the first type, but I haven't heard anything about VR causing strain, because it closely mimics the natural stereoscopic vision per eye, unlike 3D screens that have different focal points for methods 1 & 2. The fact that the entire image is in focus and doesn't require the eyes to adjust depth in that matter may be a problem, or maybe not.
I've read critiques of this problem concerning traditional 3D screens, but haven't seen anything about the issue in VR.

Maybe I don't know how those newer screens work, but the only thing that could *truly* mimic the way normal reality works is by having a tiny lens over each pixel that would adjust the necessary focal length of the eye's lense. That would be super-cool, but I highly suspect the current VR helmets still only work with one big lens in front of the whole screen.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

It uses lenses that allow for a wide field of view.[7] The separation of the lenses is adjustable by a dial on the bottom of the device, in order to accommodate a wide range of interpupillary distances. The same pair of lenses are used for all users...

Yeah, just big lenses in front of everything.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:33:18 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2016, 06:44:51 PM »
I've never had a great understanding of how the second focus method works in conjunction with the first type, but I haven't heard anything about VR causing strain, because it closely mimics the natural stereoscopic vision per eye, unlike 3D screens that have different focal points for methods 1 & 2. The fact that the entire image is in focus and doesn't require the eyes to adjust depth in that matter may be a problem, or maybe not.
I've read critiques of this problem concerning traditional 3D screens, but haven't seen anything about the issue in VR.

Maybe I don't know how those newer screens work, but the only thing that could *truly* mimic the way normal reality works is by having a tiny lens over each pixel that would adjust the necessary focal length of the eye's lense. That would be super-cool, but I highly suspect the current VR helmets still only work with one big lens in front of the whole screen.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

It uses lenses that allow for a wide field of view.[7] The separation of the lenses is adjustable by a dial on the bottom of the device, in order to accommodate a wide range of interpupillary distances. The same pair of lenses are used for all users...

Yeah, just big lenses in front of everything.

I know a variety of projects are looking into eye-tracking, couldn't the focus of individual/groups of pixels be adjusted in order to compensate for that?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »

Yeah, it's one lens in front of the screen, which warps the screen image to match the eye's FOV, and also to set the focal distance of the screens.
I did some quick Googling, and it appears you're right that the focal depth is still an issue for VR being a fixed distance, since I should have figured the eyes still have to focus on the distance of the screen for the pixels to remain in focus even when emulating different distances.
In the short term, this doesn't seem to be a major issue yet with strain that I can tell, but it does look like there are different solutions being worked on. Long term, it may be a bigger problem, and either way I'm sure they'll discourage long periods of VR usage for various reasons, motion sickness being the most immediate one for new users.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2016, 02:42:37 AM »
Virtual Desktop looks really interesting. Instead of owning or buying multiple screens you can just stack every program however you like in this 3D virtual desktop.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMCe4LESKE
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2016, 03:20:25 AM »
That's neat as a tech demo, although I wouldn't want to seriously use VR for regular desktop stuff at this point. Once they design more software with VR and motion control in mind, it could be great. Something like ZBrush would kick ass (there's some VR stuff like it already, although not close to that level).

Still pondering whether or not I'll get VR asap. I'm leaning towards the Vive, which would cost me ~$1400AUS all things taken into account, plus $500-$600 for a GTX 970 graphics card, plus probably close to $200 on top of that for a new PSU to make sure I don't have any issues (my current PSU is a good 520W one, but it's getting old). So that's over $2k all up. Ouch! 
I'll be getting paid a big chunk more than that before then though, so I'm considering it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2016, 05:12:20 AM »
@Blob

This might interest you.

https://youtu.be/xNqs_S-zEBY

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2016, 05:25:38 AM »
I've seen stuff like that before (not that one specifically, but identical interaction, this would have been about a decade ago, pre VR usage), but for the moment it just seems too cumbersome and imprecise to me. Once VR gets to the point of accurately motion tracking individual fingers (there are solutions for this, but nothing definitive yet) and some decent haptic feedback, then I think it will begin to really excel over traditional inputs in certain situations.
I can't wait to even try out the Vive's (or the Rift's) motion controllers. Even with just a bare basic representation of your hands in 3D space being tracked accurately, there's a greater sense of immersion, and there's so much that can be done for interactivity, not just for gaming, but all sorts of applications. It's still such early days for VR, so I can't wait to see what happens with it in the next few years.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
That's neat as a tech demo, although I wouldn't want to seriously use VR for regular desktop stuff at this point. Once they design more software with VR and motion control in mind, it could be great. Something like ZBrush would kick ass (there's some VR stuff like it already, although not close to that level).
I guess Tiltbrush is the closest we have of something like that for now:

https://www.tiltbrush.com/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »

Still pondering whether or not I'll get VR asap. I'm leaning towards the Vive, which would cost me ~$1400AUS all things taken into account, plus $500-$600 for a GTX 970 graphics card, plus probably close to $200 on top of that for a new PSU to make sure I don't have any issues (my current PSU is a good 520W one, but it's getting old). So that's over $2k all up. Ouch! 
I'll be getting paid a big chunk more than that before then though, so I'm considering it.

My brother just upgraded to a GTX 970, got his for about $330,granted I live in the US.  Also,his old 500W PSU is rated to hold up against it.  450W is what he told me is the max he'd need with his set up.  But now he is thinking of overclocking the CPU so he'll need to upgrade to do that.

I'm holding off on VR all together for awhile.  Prices are too much for an unsure product.  I'll also need a new GPU so I'll get that first, eyeing a future GTX 1060 since I have enough credit card points to buy it (which is how I bought my GTX 770).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
My brother just upgraded to a GTX 970, got his for about $330,granted I live in the US.  Also,his old 500W PSU is rated to hold up against it.  450W is what he told me is the max he'd need with his set up.  But now he is thinking of overclocking the CPU so he'll need to upgrade to do that.

I'm holding off on VR all together for awhile.  Prices are too much for an unsure product.  I'll also need a new GPU so I'll get that first, eyeing a future GTX 1060 since I have enough credit card points to buy it (which is how I bought my GTX 770).

Yeah my PSU is probably fine as they recommend a 500W, maybe I'm just being cautious on that one. I play it very safe on my machine, since I rely on it for everything. I guess that's not an immediate concern though. I can't remember what the max draw from my setup is, but it's a lot less than that.

For gaming I think it's worth holding out until there are some more big titles, but I'm personally interested in it for making my own stuff, so I'm itching to play around with it!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »
I've been following the debate over at /r/oculus and it's pretty funny seeing all the Oculus backers getting miffed over the fact that alot of people are jumping over to the Vive because it seems the Vive is getting alot of attention at the moment.

This sentence from a review sparked alot of discussion:

"VR is here, and I have been sold as a believer. While the Oculus is a very strong VR headset, the Vive feels like it's in a league of its own comparatively."

Given the Oculus and Palmer made the new kind of VR popular and was at the forefront of the technology the first couple of years it's interesting how Valve out of nowhere came and rumbled the market with their VR headset. I'm sure the Rift is a fine VR headset but I think people that pre-ordered the Rift and backed during the Kicksterter are a bit annoyed over the competition given they pledged for basically the only VR headset at the time which basically also means they pledge for the best VR experience. Investment and competition will always bring tension.

Tomorrow is the launch for the Vive so proper feedback and reviews for the Vive will eventually pop up so that should be interesting. To be honest I know competition is healthy for all parties but I much rather have one leading VR headset because of the fear of game exclusives which I know will cause a rift amongst VR users. No pun intended!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 08:50:32 PM »
There are several exclusives at the moment because both companies want to have the edge over their competitor, but in time I think most developers will target all of the major VR headsets, because unless you've been paid to be exclusive, it gives you a larger potential market. It's very easy to support the major VR headsets, and the motion controllers are going to be similar enough once Oculus has released those.

At this point I don't think one is significantly better than the other. Visually I don't think there's a huge difference, but I give the Vive the edge for launching with the motion controllers, and I think its tracking is better. The Rift is cheaper due to lack of motion controllers, which may be considered a pro or a con depending. I am very interested in seeing some direct comparisons between the consumer versions of both, but I'm probably going with the Vive myself.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2016, 05:48:36 AM »
Some good reviews i've found:

From Tom's Hardware:

The Oculus Rift Review

PROS: Comfort, Construction, Display, Speakers, Weight

CONS: Available software caters to casual gamers, Cost, Lack of hand controls, No pass-through camera

VERDICT : The Oculus Rift is an incredible piece of technology, but it will take some time for the content to mature. Most people will want to wait until a richer content library is available, but early adopters should be happy with the launch lineup.

The HTC Vive Review

PROS: Incomparable experience •   6DoF controllers •   Room-scale tracking •   Comfort •   Intuitive interface

CONS: Price •   Bulky cable •   Hard on neck and back •   Potential tripping hazard

VERDICT: HTC's Vive provides an experience you can't get with any other product. It is expensive, but in our view that cost is justified.

From Tested:
Oculus Rift vs. HTC Vive

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »
I watched the full Tested review a couple of nights ago. If anything, it's convinced me to wait a while yet.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
Yea I agree, it's expensive and I don't feel like rushing to get VR just because it's a hot tech gadget right know. I much rather wait for the price to go down or even wait for CV2 but who knows when that will arrive...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
Yeah. They've been in development for so long that they'll probably want to make their money back before releasing a new version, and also give it time for people to adopt the technology.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
I still think the Playstation VR will be the best bang for your buck. Even if you have to buy a PS4 as well, that combined with the VR headset, cameras, and controllers will still be cheaper than the PC required to handle the Oculus Rift or Vive.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
The PSVR will definitely be the most accessible route, especially if you already have a PS4, but it's also the most limited experience, and won't compare to the graphical quality and immersion on a PC, so I wouldn't even consider it an option for myself.

Offline Cable

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
I still think the Playstation VR will be the best bang for your buck. Even if you have to buy a PS4 as well, that combined with the VR headset, cameras, and controllers will still be cheaper than the PC required to handle the Oculus Rift or Vive.

They are also set up in the best position to mainstream it then. Consoles are created for mass appeal, and overall ease of use. Right now, VR is much like PC vs. Console in the 80's, and even now to a degree. To those that can afford it, PC will give you the best experience, at huge cost. So there is that. Samsung's VR with the Note 4 is also an option.

But what is important about VR at this point is having it adopted. To me, when I used the Oculus DV, and I mentioned it earlier; it was not about the graphics to me. But just the very nature of VR. I really hope that there is enough traction for this, and that the three main parties do not destroy each other. Utilizing a desktop PC is also much more cumbersome than using a PS4 or your mobile phone.
---

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
I think VR is definitely hear to stay. I can't see how it couldn't. Unless thousands of people suddenly start having seizures or something, I don't see why it won't be adopted. Everything from a tech standpoint is finally ready to make this a reality; processing power, quality displays, and precise motion tracking. It has so many applications outside gaming as well. Have you seen that project that Samsung and Six Flags is working on? They're basically equipping a roller coaster with VR headsets, and they'll have an aerial combat video (360 view) synced to the movements and speed of the roller coaster. So while your eyes see a warzone playing out in the sky, your body feels every bit of force and orientation that the virtual plane is subjected to. I can't wait.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »
The target market on the PC side is the gamers who are used to dealing with hardware, so I don't see there will be any issue there for the early adopters. Over time as computer and VR hardware improves, it will become cheaper and easier for the more casual market to use.
The time is right for VR now, and there are already so many potential areas where it can innovate.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »
You'll see it used in training applications across dozens of industries. You'll be able to learn to drive a big rig and perform open heart surgery in the same day!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2016, 10:38:03 AM »
Yea there's alot of areas for VR besides entertainment so VR is definitely here to stay.

I've heard that the Apollo 11 VR Experience is literally breathtaking. Would love to try that out.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »
Yea there's alot of areas for VR besides entertainment so VR is definitely here to stay.

I've heard that the Apollo 11 VR Experience is literally breathtaking. Would love to try that out.

I demoed a crappy low res version of that with my Google Cardboard and I was still grinning the entire time like a little school girl. It was very cool.

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »
looking forward to the porn

Lol that's why I'm getting it as long as it dosnt show the guy don't want to see some dude naked up close

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2016, 09:13:53 AM »

Lol that's why I'm getting it as long as it dosnt show the guy don't want to see some dude naked up close

You don't want to go nose to nose with Shane Diesel or Ramon?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
I've never heard of those guys, but I admit I do already have a HD VR porn vid saved ready to try out. :lol :zydar:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2016, 09:18:16 AM »

You don't want to go nose to nose with Shane Diesel or Ramon?

I'm getting the feeling that VR porn is going to have some close ups of the dick since I'd imagine the idea is POV and looking down is or should be the same as looking down at yourself. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2016, 09:25:04 AM »
If my avatar is a well oiled stallion I see no problem with that, not that i'm dissatisfied with my human form although my *classified* could be a bit more *classified*.

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2016, 09:33:55 AM »
Probably but ill just be seeing solo and lesbians lol

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
Def would be awesome to have a vr porn simulator game  could be the next best thing then having sex lol and what vr systems have vr porn so far I've only heard the oculus rift is the only one

Offline Grizz

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2016, 11:04:57 PM »
I think the only way I'll get to try one of these is if I get invited to Menlo Park by Palmer Luckey himself.
Which actually might happen this summer.

I'm getting the feeling that VR porn is going to have some close ups of the dick since I'd imagine the idea is POV and looking down is or should be the same as looking down at yourself. 
Idea: you (the viewer) play the role of a voyeuristic ghost.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:19:49 AM by Grizz »
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
Idea: you (the viewer) play the role of a voyeuristic ghost.

That would be better IMO since I am not really a POV fan typically.

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2016, 09:56:29 AM »
What's the best one to buy seems like oculus rift is the most popular like what one should I preorder when they come out or wait for and are there any that will be great for watching sports like will make you feel your there live
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:04:58 AM by romanticrocker »