Author Topic: MikeMangioy's Roulette of apparently cat pics -v. WE HAVE A WINNER  (Read 27246 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
The final round listens shall commence

NOW
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Be sure to give our songs a hell lot of spins ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:42:35 PM by Sacul »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
more than one listen of my song can be harmful to your health just fyi

Offline mikemangioy

And so.. it has come to this!

Sacul and Shadowninja had to send an epic tune, 15+ minutes long. The problem is: they both provided either a strange and unsettling tune or something that's not totally my thing.

Shadowninja sent "The Girl Who Was... Death" by Devil Doll, a very interesting-sounding project by "Mr. Doctor". I read that this band was part of the italian prog movement from the 70s, even though it's half italian, half slovenian. This 39 minute tune, which is the only track in the album (of course by the same name) is very quirky and creepy. I kind of liked the atmosphere, with those sudden bursts of hard rock riffing - but the song has two great things that don't make me appreciate it: the structure. It feels very inconsistent and very tiring and long to listen to, and one thing that makes an epic awesome is consistency, meaning that if it's 20 minutes long, it doesn't feel like it. But this song really drags. Also, the vocals. At the beginning I thought that they were gonna be like that just for the intro, but nope, the whole 39 minutes of the song are filled with these annoying vocals. Singing surreal lyrics. So, this had potential, but I ended up not liking it enough.

Sacul sent "For - Peter - Toilet Brushes - More" by Nils Fraham. I heard about this guy but I didn't really know what he did. Turns out he does ambient/electronic, and while I can appreciate those elements in music, this wasn't the best choice to send in this round, seeing it is 16 minutes long. But you said epics weren't your thing so I get it. It's 16 minute of keyboard basically, and it is a pleasant listen, I have to admit. Ambient kinda makes me space out, but this sounded kind of fun.

It's been hard to decide between these two mainly because one is more towards a style of music that I like, but I don't like it enough, and the other one is usually not my cup of tea, but I had a good time listening to it. But that's the point.

At times, The Girl Who Was...Death was nearly frustrating to get through, but that didn't ever really happen with Nils Fraham. As soon as I realized this, I had a clear winner in mind:

SACUL

I mean, it makes sense. I've made a list of albums/artists to listen to after each round, and 5 out of your 8 entries are in that list. I've already listened to two (Destiny Potato and David Maxim Micic) and I'm digging them a lot. You've been one of the best players, and I also think this is your first time winning a roulette - seeing that you sign up in every single roulette, finally your efforts have been payed up. Congrats Lucas!

-- As for Shadowninja, dude, you were so close - you were on the right way genre-wise, but had you sent something less pretentious and long, you would've won. Pity, 'cause you were a damn good player too, especially when it came to mellow stuff.

Once again guys, thanks for participating! This has been fun. And now I'm up to go exploring further the stuff that you've sent. Once I listen to every album I might even do a little review thing in here.  :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
more than one listen of my song can be harmful to your health just fyi

Very true.

Congrats Lucas.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's Roulette of apparently cat pics -v. WE HAVE A WINNER
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2015, 07:27:58 AM »
 :o

Oh. Fucking. Yes.  :metal

It's great not to lose in the final round :lol

Thanks for running this roulette, mike, it's been quite fun. And props to Shadow Ninja, for playing so well on it :tup

PS: Guess I'll have to check out that Devil Doll song since you seem to send them in every roulette so you can't send them in mine

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:45:43 AM by Sacul »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
Congratulations Sacul!

I wouldn't use the term "pretentious" to describe Devil Doll, though. Pretension implies pretending to be something you're not, whereas Devil Doll is pretty much just what they are, which is really fucking weird.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
Yeah, I guess that with "pretentious" I meant "bombastic and big and over the top". But still.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #323 on: August 06, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »
That is a fair assessment, and not one I disagree with.

I should point out, though, I didn't send you the song just to troll you, I actually do really like it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect your reaction, though. :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: August 06, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
Nice play gaiz.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #325 on: August 06, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »
That guy sending you the O:M song from Queensryche deserved the win, was that Lucas?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #326 on: August 06, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
Seriously, the task is to send an 'epic' and you guys send those two songs? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: August 06, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »
That guy sending you the O:M song from Queensryche deserved the win, was that Lucas?
Yup it was me  ;D . Thanks.

Seriously, the task is to send an 'epic' and you guys send those two songs? :lol
Well, he asked for a long song with multiple parts, and I gave him that  :P . It's not even prog, but there was no need for it, so fuck the system.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #328 on: August 06, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »

Dude, there is no way my song isn't epic. Besides, I figure he's heard a lot of prog epics. But he hasn't ever heard anything like what I sent him. :lol

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2015, 03:50:56 AM »
He's pretty right.