Author Topic: Sense8 Thread  (Read 8159 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Sense8 Thread
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
I need to catch up. I watched Season 1 right when it came out and the same with Christmas special. They cancelled the show before I even got a chance to start Season 2 so I held off.

My plan is to re-watch the Christmas movie and then binge to the finale.

I could just see how expensive this show is to make, but it is so freaking good. Seemed to good to last due to how good it looks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
Finally hit a space where I'm ready to finish this one. Started S2 today, and in minutes was reminded that this is easily one of the best shows out there, so tremendously beautiful even when tragic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
easily one of the best shows out there, so tremendously beautiful even when tragic.

I agree...it's a very cool show....cool concept and I really wish it'd have gotten a full third season to finish it out.

I just finished the 2-1/2 hour 'finale' movie and the first two hours of it was pretty good and they did what they could to stay true to the story and wrap up the show in that time. Again, would have loved to see a full third season to really flush it all out.

Small rant and 'slightly' spoilery concerning the finale movie. No real details that will ruin anything though.....

However, why I think the show was cancelled in the first place....the reason why the ratings weren't there for them....is my issue with the last half hour of the show. The Wachowski brothers/sisters insistence for the over the top LGTB scenes IMO is what did the show in. I think it alienated a portion of viewership that could not get past that aspect of the show. I'm not trying to start a P/R debate, I personally don't care one way or the other and just look past those type of things if the story/show is good....but, I know just in my circle of friends and family there were a handful of people who watched one, maybe two episodes and quit due to the overt nature of the gay/lesbian/trans scenes etc. Again, I get that it has a part in this story ...in fact there were really touching scenes in there with those characters.....but they get really carried away with it and I think it was a detriment to the series rather than the activist/rally call that they thought it was.

And, when you're given 2-1/2 hours to wrap up an incredibly complicated show I can't forgive how they basically wasted the last half hour on recycled monologues that have been used before multiple times....only spoken in a slightly different manner and/or settings and an extremely gratuitous sex/orgy scene that again....has been done already in this show. Honestly, I was/am a little ticked that they wasted that time on those scenes....and it was a waste due to the fact what was said and shown had been said and shown many times before.

Like I said, I understand the importance of telling the story and staying true to the characters and what not but when/if 'you' guys watch the finale movie you will see that rather than invest another 15-20 minutes into the 'close out' of the series and then condense what they did in that last half hour to ten minutes or so (easily doable) they chose to go over the top again with the LGTB stuff. The series and that movie needed every minute to focus more on the details and story line of tying it all together and bringing it to a close rather than the gratuitous nature of things they seem so dug in on and insisted on grandstanding with again.

Anyway....sorry for the rant but I felt like they robbed the show and the fans a bit just to focus on a personal mission and cause rather than just telling a full story. But all in all it was a decent ending to a series that was cut way too short.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
I'll read your post in about a week when I'm caught up  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2018, 10:49:50 PM »
Ok just finished the finale....S2 was outstanding in whole, and some moments were about as beautiful as TV can get, especially the scene where Will's dad passes. That moment when his dad recognizes Will instead of Riley, more than just manly tears escaped. And so many scenes reached that level, they managed to build a lot of those bridges so easily in me.

As to the finale itself, I have to agree with Gary for the most part. There was a good half hour to 45 minutes of the show that could've been used for a better purpose, especially the last 15 minute orgy/goodbye. But at least there was an acceptable completion to the thing, I'd have hated to be left hanging on that last S2 episode. Aside from the finale though, there were very few and minor mistakes in the show for me, and nothing I would change in those first two seasons. Just outstanding.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2018, 06:10:39 AM »
So...having just binge-watched S2 and the finale, some comments.  Total spoilery, but I suspect everyone viewing this thread have already watched the finale.  If not... don't read on.

Being 100% ok with every/anything LGBTQ related, I too am gonna agree with Gary on the last 30-mins ... but especially the last orgy.  Completely unnecessary, and the fact that Rajan goes 'bi' is 100% BS.  Liberal Indian or not... I could not buy in to his acceptance of a threesome or a 3-way relationship in general.

Nomi/Amanita's wedding - had no problem with it.  A little elongated, but I felt THAT would've been the fitting end - except for the fact that every extended character was there - Silas/Capheus' mom?  Really??  Why would they come to the wedding?

As for the finale itself... mostly satisfied with it, but still disappointed there couldn't be a 6 or 8 episode conclusion.  Also disappointed we couldn't get another 3-4 seasons out of this - there could've been so much to tell.  It was clear everything was rushed to wrap it up, and while the story made sense, there were a handful of unsatisfying moments:

- lack of exploration of Lila's cluster, The Archipelago, Mother/The Lacuna, the Chairman, the Secretary
- rushing to get all the characters out of the cluster aware/involved.  We went from it just being Amanita/Bug (a little bit with Diego) to it being everyone - Mun, Hernando/Dani, Rajan, Felix.  I get that was rushed because they had to, but I'm sure the original plan was to do each of them gradually.
- how did Mun know exactly how/where/when to find Sun??  And get off the street already!  What, only 4 BPO goons were around?  Same with the French police tailing Rajan to the condo... only a squad of 4 was dispatched, and then they had time to clear out the apartment?  Why wasn't there a small army of BPO goons?
- The constant over-whelming odds in hand-to-hand fights and shootouts, and nobody from the cluster takes any real damage!?!?!  (this was an ongoing issue, but exacerbated in the finale).  They should've killed off Kala with that gunshot.
- Lastly, the 'money-shot' kill on Whispers was a rocket launcher from Will?!?!  So impersonal.  And then what ?? .. 'that's a wrap everyone'.  Uh, hello!?! there were still a ton of BPO goons at street-level.  Did they all power down like Star Wars clones when the helicopter went down?

A few other minor issue (like, how many bullets can the standard clip of a handgun hold!?!)  And I don't want it to seem like I had more problems with it than how much I enjoyed it.  Not the case at all.  I was actually impressed how they tied everything off, especially Jonas' arc.  It all made sense, and I watched the finale as if it was a movie, and ultimately was able to get past how rushed the story was (ie, had to be) compared to the previous 23 episodes.

The supporting cast was terrific too. Loved Hoy (even if it was painful how much he was just like Radagast  ::)); Loved Puck; Loved Bug.

On to the next undiscovered Netflix gem.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2018, 06:35:58 AM »
I too enjoyed the show immensely, but can’t help but wonder if the two hour wrap up episode they allowed didn’t do more harm than good? Like you mentioned Chad...there was a lot of character/story related issues that were just really forced and thrown together in order to wrap the story up neatly. I can’t decided whether or not just a plain cancellation without that final long episode would have been better than what they were able to give us in that short time.

Clearly that story had WAY more to tell and in a much better manner than the forced finale episode. Such a neat concept and it could have been an amazing other few seasons. From what I understand though it cost a small fortune to produce each episode.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2018, 07:53:06 AM »
From what I understand though it cost a small fortune to produce each episode.

I can only imagine how much the shoot for the parade cost!

I wonder how it might have fared if they didn't go on location to every region the cluster was from?  I mean, use stock video wherever possible, and then just narrow it down to a handful of manageable locations for the shots involving the characters.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
From what I understand though it cost a small fortune to produce each episode.

I can only imagine how much the shoot for the parade cost!

I wonder how it might have fared if they didn't go on location to every region the cluster was from?  I mean, use stock video wherever possible, and then just narrow it down to a handful of manageable locations for the shots involving the characters.

You would think that they'd have approached it in that manner if the cost was a concern. Just...dial it down a bit to keep the show going. For the most part the 'on location' scenes weren't all that distinctive anyway. Like you said, use some general photage of Paris or Iceland or China and let that be that. Film in a studio or somewhere in Canada or the US and use some editing magic.

Just bummed that the story was hamstrung in the manner it was with the hasty finale episode. That was a neat world they created.