Author Topic: Sense8 Thread  (Read 3643 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
Re: Sense8 Thread
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
I need to catch up. I watched Season 1 right when it came out and the same with Christmas special. They cancelled the show before I even got a chance to start Season 2 so I held off.

My plan is to re-watch the Christmas movie and then binge to the finale.

I could just see how expensive this show is to make, but it is so freaking good. Seemed to good to last due to how good it looks.
"It is I - Turkey Volume Guessing Man!" - Crow from MST3K
"Military Intelligence - Two Words Combined That Can't Make Sense." - Hangar 18

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
Finally hit a space where I'm ready to finish this one. Started S2 today, and in minutes was reminded that this is easily one of the best shows out there, so tremendously beautiful even when tragic.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
easily one of the best shows out there, so tremendously beautiful even when tragic.

I agree...it's a very cool show....cool concept and I really wish it'd have gotten a full third season to finish it out.

I just finished the 2-1/2 hour 'finale' movie and the first two hours of it was pretty good and they did what they could to stay true to the story and wrap up the show in that time. Again, would have loved to see a full third season to really flush it all out.

Small rant and 'slightly' spoilery concerning the finale movie. No real details that will ruin anything though.....

However, why I think the show was cancelled in the first place....the reason why the ratings weren't there for them....is my issue with the last half hour of the show. The Wachowski brothers/sisters insistence for the over the top LGTB scenes IMO is what did the show in. I think it alienated a portion of viewership that could not get past that aspect of the show. I'm not trying to start a P/R debate, I personally don't care one way or the other and just look past those type of things if the story/show is good....but, I know just in my circle of friends and family there were a handful of people who watched one, maybe two episodes and quit due to the overt nature of the gay/lesbian/trans scenes etc. Again, I get that it has a part in this story ...in fact there were really touching scenes in there with those characters.....but they get really carried away with it and I think it was a detriment to the series rather than the activist/rally call that they thought it was.

And, when you're given 2-1/2 hours to wrap up an incredibly complicated show I can't forgive how they basically wasted the last half hour on recycled monologues that have been used before multiple times....only spoken in a slightly different manner and/or settings and an extremely gratuitous sex/orgy scene that again....has been done already in this show. Honestly, I was/am a little ticked that they wasted that time on those scenes....and it was a waste due to the fact what was said and shown had been said and shown many times before.

Like I said, I understand the importance of telling the story and staying true to the characters and what not but when/if 'you' guys watch the finale movie you will see that rather than invest another 15-20 minutes into the 'close out' of the series and then condense what they did in that last half hour to ten minutes or so (easily doable) they chose to go over the top again with the LGTB stuff. The series and that movie needed every minute to focus more on the details and story line of tying it all together and bringing it to a close rather than the gratuitous nature of things they seem so dug in on and insisted on grandstanding with again.

Anyway....sorry for the rant but I felt like they robbed the show and the fans a bit just to focus on a personal mission and cause rather than just telling a full story. But all in all it was a decent ending to a series that was cut way too short.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
I'll read your post in about a week when I'm caught up  :lol

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2018, 10:49:50 PM »
Ok just finished the finale....S2 was outstanding in whole, and some moments were about as beautiful as TV can get, especially the scene where Will's dad passes. That moment when his dad recognizes Will instead of Riley, more than just manly tears escaped. And so many scenes reached that level, they managed to build a lot of those bridges so easily in me.

As to the finale itself, I have to agree with Gary for the most part. There was a good half hour to 45 minutes of the show that could've been used for a better purpose, especially the last 15 minute orgy/goodbye. But at least there was an acceptable completion to the thing, I'd have hated to be left hanging on that last S2 episode. Aside from the finale though, there were very few and minor mistakes in the show for me, and nothing I would change in those first two seasons. Just outstanding.