Author Topic: HAVE YOU EVER? Seen a Tornado?  (Read 3315 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Climbed a Mountain?
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 12:31:32 AM »
I'm fascinated by skydiving and the idea of doing it but I don't think I could ever see myself actually do it. Maybe some day though.

I've never climbed vertical or anything extreme for that matter. Been hiking up a few mountains though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 07:52:24 AM »
I've never really climbed a mountain. I did drive up the smoky mountains last year and it was awesome. I got to see the leaves change colors.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
Shiiiiiit.....  I avoid climbing a flight of stairs.... :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Been Scuba Diving?
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
Have You Ever Been....Scuba Diving??
I have never been certified to dive, but I have been in a shark cage twice in full scuba gear. First time, I only caught a glimpse. Second time,  a great white came right up to our cage.  She was about 10' . One of the single most terrifying and exhilarating moments I've ever had. I would love to get certified in scuba  (my wife is and she dives often when we travel). But several years ago, on the first shark trip to be exact,  I discovered I have this fear, its not extreme, but it's there,  of deep, deep water.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 03:16:58 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »
I dove twice while I was in Cancun. Was only down 30ft or so, but I absolutely loved it. Only problem was that at the time I still had glasses, and had to take them off to fit inside the mask. Still an extraordinary experience. Now that I've had my eyes fixed I can't wait to go back at some point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
Nope, Only snorkeling....for a full day in Tuluum in the Mayan Riviera and it was AWESOME!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
Only snorkeling here, on my honeymoon at Key West.  That was pretty awesome.

I would love to go scuba diving someday.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 02:18:57 PM »
Only Snorkeling in Angra dos Reis, Brazil. I was there for my 16th birthday with my family and it was really nice. Lots of fish from many different colors and the water temperature was just perfect.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
Like many people, I have only been snorkeling, but it was dang awesome. I snorkeled down a river in Canada while the salmon were swimming upstream, that was so cool.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 06:57:01 PM »
I peed in the local public pool when I was 7.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »
Have snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef but never anything involving an oxygen tank. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:23:46 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:42 AM »
I peed in the local public pool when I was 7.
So precocious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2015, 07:37:35 AM »
Scubadived once, at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Took a 5 minute crash course on the boat, was a rather terrifying experience (and half the people gave up). Totally worth it though, i had a blast.
In the combination of enjoyment and adrenaline i also had not noticed how the flippers had chafed away a spot to the flesh on my foot. Took a looong time to be normal again.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2015, 07:40:12 AM »
Skydive: No.
Mountain climb: Not technically, no.
Scuba Dive:  YES

I've been licensed for almost 30 years, and while I don't go as often as that number implies, it is an exhilarating experience.  There is nothing like going down 30, 40, 50 feet, and hearing nothing but the "whoosh" of the respirator, feeling only the cool "wall" of water around you, and enjoying nature in it's element.   I love it.   Last time I did it was in Cabo, and I saw many things I have never seen before. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2015, 10:22:19 AM »
Scuba Dive:  No
Muff Dive: Yes

:hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2015, 12:38:06 AM »
Now we're talkin!  I have just about 400 dives under my belt.  Both me and my wife are avid divers.  There is absolutely nothing else in the world like it.  Besides space it's about the only place you can experience what the feeling of weightlessness is like.  We have been fortunate to dive many regions, Caribbean - Cozumel, Riviera Maya, Roatan, Utila.  Baja, Southern California, Thailand - Similan Islands, Koh Phi Phi, Ao Nang.  Indonesia - Bali, Wakatobi.  Our destination bucketlist is pretty extensive.  I think our next big trip will be either Fiji or the Philippines in Feb 2016. We just got back from 14 days in Cozumel 2 weeks ago.  I love underwater photography and videography and have had a camera of some sort in my hands since dive #5.  Here are some shots from the last trip.....

And video from past trips (still editing from the one we just returned from) Make sure you watch in 1080p :)

Bali 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36DBy74aHs

Cozumel 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JM6f812JAE

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
Okay...I've had one Hell of a busy summer. I went on the road with the band and some family and friends; my dad died; and my son just went off to college. I haven't written a damn thing in a few months; and I need a vacation. Oh, and I raised a garden; and have been very busy babying my tomato plants, and feeding about ten or twelve voracious hummingbirds.

Needless to say... I've neglected the post. To recap..we've done mountain climbing, sky diving, and scuba diving. Some of you turns out are pretty bad assed. Here's the next question.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SURFING?

Me, I've tried it a few times, and failed miserably. I thought I was pretty decent body surfing and body boarding. That was until three years ago while in the BVI at our little annual retreat of troublemakers, and while drunk on mojitos, Ron James and I nearly drowned trying to body surf on each other's backs. I've not been inclined to body surf since. I'm definitely now a paddlepuss.

Any rad dudes or wahines here ever go over the falls? Cowabunga!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Been Surfing?
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
I stick to body surfing not far from the beach these days.   I am very short sighted and on an occasion a few years ago I was having a (boogie board) surf maybe 100 metres from shore and got a nice dumping that removed my contact lenses + wrist strap and I came up out of breath in a big swell and with little idea which way the beach was.  I made it back gasping for air and since then I have no desire to surf :lol  Not to mention the number of shark sitings around here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:56:45 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Calvin6s

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 12:17:17 AM »
Surfing, bodyboarding, wind surfing, jet skiing, water skiing ... if it is water involved, it was a big part of my life from Elementary School to Young Adult.

My aunt lived on the beach, so when I'd visit her my older cousin was always setting the alarm clock for crack of dawn to go out surfing.  I'd follow with my bodyboard.  We are talking like 4-6 years old.  Then we'd come back and swim in the pool for hours on end.

Elementary school, I was taking the bus to the beach with my friend Kenny.

Jr. High I chilled out a bit, but High School I joined the water polo team, so riding our bikes down to the beach was pretty common.  Freshman year, the water polo team went to Hawaii for a tournament, so we were either a) at the tournament b) at the beach including North Shore c) finding town hot spots d) coming back to start parties that dominated the wing of our hotel.

There were some pretty bad wipeouts that I'm 100% sure would have been the end of me had I not been on the Water Polo / Swim team.  Even with that ridiculous technique (and it is amazing how good you get in the water compared to the average person or even other surfers), one trip pushed me to my limits.  So much so that it was probably the first time I felt confident I was in the middle of dying.  In some ways I remember everything I did to get through it. Very methodical but slow and repetitive process.  And because I spent very little time above water, there was a feeling I might not even be going the right way (to shore).

When I found myself 20-30 feet from the edge of the shore, I almost felt embarrassed.  I didn't know how widespread the dangerous situation was and thought I just hit a bad set and was expecting my friend to be there ready to tease me about it for months on end.  But now that my head was above water for more than 4 seconds, I could see how large and out of control the waves were.  That they were pulling people off the bottom of the pier (my friend being one of them).  I was so tired and needed time to think that I didn't even get completely out of the water.  I kind of sat on the edge of the shore just observing and thinking.  Made me gunshy for a bit because I had never witnessed a change in the waves so quickly.

I had a fear of sharks.  More when I was little.  And I would think about it in between trips, but once I was out there doing it, it wasn't something you really thought about.  Having too much fun and talking to friends and yet to be friends.  My fear was more about being dragged under than the bite itself.

Windsurfing was on vacation, so I mainly just spent the time learning the skill to do it.  Never came close to doing anything *fun*.  My previous ability seemed to not translate at all.  You mostly spend your time just trying to find the right balance with the sail itself.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 12:54:08 AM »
Nope.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 05:43:59 AM »
I grew up in, and still live in Huntington Beach, CA.  Better known as "Surf City USA"  Nuff said....... ;D

Very sorry for the loss of your Dad.  I lost my Mom last year and I have an idea how difficult it can be.  Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2015, 08:40:57 AM »
yes, I have surfed off the coast of Maui.  I have a scar on my knee from a coral reef to prove it!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
Never properly. But when I lived in Dubai before moving to the UK aged 9 - we had little body boards and would just lay on them and ride to shore - or sometimes not even use a board :)

Have to be careful your trunks don't get washed away though - as was prone to happen :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Seen a Tornado?
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A TORNADO?

I have seen five on four occasions.

First time it was in 1974 during the night of the Super Outbreak. While driving that evening with my mom, we witnessed the silhouette of the F4 tornado that skipped through north of Cincinnati. It passed in front of us across the road about a mile off in the distance. We only saw it during lightning strikes. I was terrified. I was only 11; and it happened just a couple of hours after one of the strongest tornadoes of all time (a massive F5) had literally wiped the town of Xenia, Ohio off of the map. The radio blared report after report of tornadoes, all over the entire area. I recall the weatherman saying, "If you can hear my voice, I beg all of you to seek shelter immediately; and may God be with you all tonight. " We drove home and my family stayed huddled in the basement while it stormed worse than I've ever seen it storm, all night long. I thought we were going to die. It caused a serious phobia for the next few years for me of severe weather. That later in turn caused a morbid fascination of storms for me, and to this day, I absolutely love severe weather. The worse the better for me.

Second time I was traveling to Chicago and while driving in Indiana a storm came up out of nowhere, and a tornado crossed the highway ahead of everybody. You could see it off in the distance for quite a ways, and everyone stopped and watched it pass. Turned out to be an F2.

Third time I was driving my father in laws dog from NM to DC about 12 years ago. I was in the panhandle of Texas; and during the afternoon, on a bright sunny day, a storm came up, and it got pitch black dark as far as you could see. It was literally as if the sun had gone out. I have never seen it that dark during the daytime. I was following a line of 3 other cars close to me on the highway. The wind was howling, it was blowing sheets of rain, and then started hailing golf ball sized hail. We were all driving about ten miles an hour, bumper to bumper. You could see massive roiling white clouds that were spinning sideways under the heavy blackness of the sky. Suddenly, it was as if the roiling mass threw a spinning cloud at us, and it flew down and buffeted our cars very hard. Everyone just stopped for about 30 seconds. We were in the middle of nowhere with fields all around us. We slowly drove on into a small town, and made our way to a gas station that was packed full of cars, but no people were to be found. Cars were still running. Doors were open. It was like the people had vanished. About two minutes later, they all emerged from a storm shelter at the rear of the gas station. It was very eerie and weird. The storm passed us and I gassed up, got a soda, and went to the bathroom to freshen up and chill out. I splashed some water on my face and set out now following the storm. I caught up to the clouds again very quickly, and it began to rain again, and I looked out of the right side of the car, and saw a huge tornado about a mile off of the highway following in the same direction. I came up on a car that was stopped in front of me, and they were looking to the left, and when I looked over, there was another tornado on the ground about another mile or two opposite the one on my right. I sped up,and got the hell out of there. It was a very strange experience. Later learned they were both F3's.

The last time was at my home in Ohio. A few days before Easter in 2009, we left our home in DC and came to our house in Ohio for the spring/ summer. The day we arrived some severe storms rolled through. I kept hearing something hit the huge bay window on the front of our house. I went to the front door, and it looked like smoke was swirling outside the window, and my front door was rattling in the frame. It was like the scene in Twister when the guy is holding onto the storm door. The bay window started to flex in and out, but didn't break. I froze, transfixed in my tracks. My wife rounded the corner to see what was happening, and her scream broke my paralysis. We ran to the basement just as the tornado sirens sounded outside. After the sirens stopped we emerged and went outside. The people across the road from me had the entire side of their house torn away. My neighbor next door lost his dormers and most of his roof. Several homes in my area were severely damaged. There was insulation and debris all over the yard. There were about a dozen shingles deeply embedded into my front yard, like thrown knives. I have a massive iron gate out front and it was torn from its hinges and thrown into my pool. Another wooden gate along my fence was torn from it's hinges and tossed into my lake. I never found the umbrella on our patio. My son the next day found a piece of tar shingle deeply driven into one of my fence posts. Turns out that what I was hearing splattering against the windows was insulation from the house across the street. The front, right side, and rear of my house were covered in my neighbors splattered insulation. The weirdest thing of all is that my neighbor across the street who had so much damage done, had decorated a tree in their yard with little Easter egg ornaments. None of the eggs was disturbed or missing.  WTF?? The weather service came out and examined our hood. They estimated it was probably an F2.

How about you? Any tornado survivors or witnesses here?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:25:55 AM by TempusVox »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
Spent all my life right here in Tornado alley, so, nope; go figure.

I've actually lived in a couple of strange geographic locations that spare us the brunt most of the time. Fort Worth has a tendency to split storms in half or divert them. Those poor saps take the brunt of it more often than us Dallasites. I also lived in Cedar Hill for many years, which was the highest point in Dallas. On several occasions tornadoes would either divert around us or "jump" right over us. This tornado passed a quarter mile from my house but had caught enough height popping up from the lake to the west that it didn't come down back down until it was ready to wipe Lancaster off the map, about 10 miles East.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
Had one touch done about 50 yards in front of my house, when I was living in Mississippi, but never saw it or any other. I did however see the 18 wheeler that it flipped completely upside down.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Calvin6s

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »
No, but I'm sure most people have dealt with some form of natural disaster.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2015, 12:27:46 AM »
No, but I'm sure most people have dealt with some form of natural disaster.

Oh, we'll get to that too!  :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2015, 12:59:10 AM »
Had one pass very close to my house in Georgia, but it was night so I didn't see it per se. Did see the rain go up though, that was hella freaky.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2015, 01:09:40 AM »
Spent all my life right here in Tornado alley, so, nope; go figure.
This is my exact answer.

I grew up with a massive fear of tornadoes and I have the occasional dream about them. Because of the fact that I'm 29 and I've never seen one, it's like they exist in my head as some mythological monster. If I ever saw one, I would be paralyzed with fear, I think. The beast that lurks in my nightmares would be real to me for the first time.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »
Are we counting small dust devils?

If so then no.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »
I've seen two waterspouts formed at the same time in Tampa Bay

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »
The beast that lurks in my nightmares would be real to me for the first time.
The demon in your mind would rape you in your bead at night.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
When I was pretty young, maybe in like 5th or 6th grade or so, we had a great view of a funnel cloud maybe 10 miles from my house. Even though I'd been terribly afraid of tornados my whole life, I grabbed a camera and ran outside to take photos. It's not great, but it's something I was very proud of at the time.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I went surfing once.  I took a 2 hour lesson with my mom.  After what felt like hundreds of times getting knocked off the board, I finally rode one wave all the way to the shore.  It wasn't pretty or graceful, but what the hell, at least I finally actually STOOD UP on the fucking board.
The coolest part about the whole thing though was that it took place at Waikiki Beach in Hawaii.  If I never go surfing again, at least I can say I fucking surfed at Waikiki.   :metal

Tornado:  No.  However we did apparently have a mild one back in June here.  I didn't actually see it but the sky went black and the winds and rain were out of control for about a half hour...and when it was over a lot of people in the area didn't have power and there were A LOT of trees that fell.  (But in the sense of, "Have I ever seen a pick your house up and drop it in Oz" kind of tornado, the answer to that would be "no.")
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.