Author Topic: HAVE YOU EVER? Seen a Tornado?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
HAVE YOU EVER? Seen a Tornado?
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
Okay, I wanted to start a thread where every couple of days, I'll pose a question, and you tell me if you've ever done it; and why, what it was like, etc., or why you haven't for that matter. So for the inaugural question, here goes:

HAVE YOU EVER, Been Skydiving?  I have not. Interestingly, I have rappelled many, many times. In fact, I've even done Australian Rappel, and not really had an issue with it; but I am horribly afraid of heights. I've thought about just going sometime and doing it. I would imagine once you put out of your mind that you're thousands of feet in the air, it would be quite a thrill; but I think I would overthink it so much, I would pass out before I jumped.

Any of you ever skydived?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:33:11 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Been Sky Diving?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
Nope. I'll probably do it eventually, but haven't been able to yet.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:49:35 PM »
Skydived?

Skydove?

Skyfell?

No. I haven't.

Would I?

Hell if I know...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
Yeah, I did a tandem freefall dive back in '96.  It was AWESOME!!!!!!  If I hadn't met my future ex-wife the next week, I'm sure I would have gotten into the sport.  It was a great experience.....that moment going out the door...then all of the sudden your dropping like a rock, but you feel like your floating.  An odd sensation to say the least, but totally cool!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
I did it once. Easily the single most thrilling minute of my life. Other experiences compete overall, but that first minute of freefall, that first 5 seconds after you've just stepped out of an aircraft... it's unparalleled.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
Yes, a solo jump where a cord pulls the parachute open. All you do is let go of the plane. :lol It was definitely a rush. You barely remember the short free fall, which is an overload of information and energy.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Been Skydiving?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:24:34 PM »
Sadly no, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 11:46:32 PM »
Nope, never really had the opportunity. Totally would though.

Offline Cable

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
I have not. Had two chances with people who wanted to go, one more legit than the other. For some reason, my dad told me some crap that "he didn't have insurance on me," despite me being a legal adult. I followed my parents rules I guess.

Once I met my wife, that was a giant no. I do get away with rock climbing however, as the falls on leading are quite a thrill.
---

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
I saw Skyfall once.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 02:38:41 PM »
Yeah, did a tandem jump many years ago. It was great! The free fall actually was less fascinating than flying circles with the open parachute.
Also did a tandem paraglide in the German Alps which was more awesome: almost 45 minutes in the mountains...  :hat

https://picasaweb.google.com/112126017224679832760/Tandemflug2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6k9r3LgoinjgE#

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »
Awesome pic Ich Bin... I would have crapped my pants.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Climbed a Mountain?
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Okay...next question...HAVE YOU EVER Climbed a Mountain?

I have. When I was an undergrad and living in Washington state, several of us friends signed up for a climb on Mt. Rainier. We were led by world famous mountaineer Lou Whittaker. We spent two days at mountain school camp, getting both acclimated and learning safety and proper use of our equipment;  then on Day 3 a total of twelve people set off (8 climbers and 4 guides including Lou's brother Jim, the first American to summit Everest) for Camp Muir. Day 4 we made our final ascent on the summit.

We climbed in June, and the final ascent from Camp Muir was a real bitch for a novice, even though I was in the best shape of my life, playing football at the time. Rainier is an amazing mountain. Climbers from all over the world train on Rainier in the winter in preparation to climb Everest because despite the size difference, the conditions during winter on Rainier are similar to Everest. 

The experience changed my life, and although I wasn't permanently bitten by the climbing bug, it is one of the things I think I'm proudest to have done.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
I have.

When I was in Ecuador for a year, I lived at 3,200 metres above sea level (nearly 10,000 feet), so after nearly a year of being there, I felt ready to actually undertake something like that and climb the Cotopaxi, the second highest mountain in Ecuador, just shy of 6,000 metres in height. I can tell you that without that one year, I would have never had a chance in hell of making it, and even then, it was the single most physically demanding thing that I have ever done, but it was all worth it to stand atop the peak and watch the sun rise above a sea of clouds.

Sadly, my friend who was with me was the one taking photos and a day later, when he was taking the bus back to the city where he worked, he was robbed and the pictures we took were gone forever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 03:05:10 PM »
CLIMBED ?

No.

MOUNTAIN ?

No.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
I'm gonna give this one a yes. When I was young, I climbed Mt. Lassen, a volcano in NorCal about 12k feet. Didn't need special gear or training, not an advanced climb by any means, but it is a sizeable mountain, and I, under my own power, got to the top of it.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
Someone please pm me when the thread title includes "heard the wolf cry for the blue corn moon" so I may tell my tale.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
I climb mountains as often as I can manage it, because there are few things more enjoyable than wandering into the wilderness in the company of The Grateful Dead. A climb I did on Saturday:

I've also been atop both of the other lumps of rock in this picture.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 07:22:57 PM »
Mountains, yes. Skydive, no.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
I have technically climbed a mountain, but it was more like hiking to the top of a mountain. Never used the ropes and climbing equipment.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »
Hiked up Mt. Washington, and other mountains too.
In terms of proper climbing, i do occasional outdoor rock climbing, but I've neverr done more than walls.

Did Skydiving, many years ago. Fun fun.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
I have technically climbed a mountain, but it was more like hiking to the top of a mountain. Never used the ropes and climbing equipment.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
Skydiving?  No.

Climb a mountain?  No.

I'm pretty bloody boring.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 02:46:59 AM »
Skydived a couple weeks ago here in New Zealand from 16000 feet. One of the most thrilling experiences of my life.

Climbing Mount Ruapehu (Mount Doom) in a couple days.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 07:05:32 AM »
I've climbed a mountain, but it was only like .5 miles high.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: HAVE YOU EVER? Climbed a Foothill?
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
I made my way up to the top of some of the higher foothills in SoCal, but none of that could be considered climbing a mountain.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:10:14 AM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:26 AM »
I have hiked a giant hill that some call a mountain, but I've never been mountain climbing.

Also never went skydiving.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »
Never, but wouldn't doubt to get fit and try to tackle one of the peaks here. Maybe in summer.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
Have I ever climbed anything requiring vertical climbing gear, no. I have hiked to the top of peaks in the Appalachian chain, but nothing around here is overly intense. I've done two pretty intense climbs in icy conditions however, which was fun.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
I live near the top of a mountain. The road is paved all the way up, and I drive up the mountain all of the time.Does that count?

:biggrin:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »
My highest climb was the Großvenediger in the Alps (3666 meters) back in the 80's, I think - here's a pic a took of my dad near the top:

I love climbing mountains and hiking!
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
Not sure I'd wanna climb up there, but man I'd love to rip that powder going down. Yum....

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »
I rock climb almost every weekend, and have hiked up smaller mountains, but I've never put the two together and hiked up a huge mountain that required climbing gear.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
My wife and I are avid climbers.  Our favorite trail is McCullough Gulch in Breckenridge, CO.  Breathtaking from beginning to end.  The summit is about 13,000 feet if I remember correctly.

Here on the east coast we've done Mount Monadnock a few times.  Mount Washington is on our "to do" list.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:36 PM »
Yes

I've done it several times since I was a teenager and it's one of my favorite outdoor activities. Last time was in February when I was on vacation, it was mostly an easy hike with only a little complication towards the end where it was all rock and I had to use my hands but it wasn't complicated enough to require climbing gear.
As I said before, mountain climbing and hiking in general are my favorite outdoor activities but unfortunately I can only do those when I'm on vacation since there are no mountains where I live.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.