Author Topic: Best lyrics band  (Read 1576 times)

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
Best lyrics band
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:17:28 AM »
I never really cared for lyrics that much, but recently, i discovered that lyrics are a big part in the music we love. it tells us a story, and connect the music beautifully.

Some bands are masters in writing great lyrics about interesting topics, some specialized in specific issues while others are just randomly sing about casual stuff.

I'm interested to develop a discussion considering our favorites lyricists out there, albums, songs, etc.

I think it first appeared with DT. i read the lyrics for SDOIT title track and it clicked to me perfectly.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Best lyrics band
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »
Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and TesseracT (Daniel Tompkin's albums) are probably my favorite overall. They have that certain style that I usually call "casual poetry", which I just love. No idea if there's an actual work for what I mean but that's what I call it.

The best lyrics ever for me though are probably those written for the swedish band Kent. You really have to have grown up with the swedish language to really appreciate it, because translations just don't work at all. Some of their lyrical stuff (not all though) is just amazing, better than anything I've ever heard. They also use that "casual poetry" I like so much.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »
Lyrics are probably the biggest difference between a 'really good band/artist' and one of my favorites. To a certain point, mediocre lyrics won't detract much at all, but good lyrics are a must for me to take that big leap to super fandom.

Some of my favorite bands/artists, lyrically:

Agalloch
Anathema
Bob Dylan
David Gray
Glen Hansard
Kayo Dot
Neil Young
Steven Wilson and related projects
Tool
Yes
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:46:39 AM »
Xbox is a god to me

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
Every Time I Die

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
Pink Floyd (notably during their peak years - 1973-1979)
Rush (especially in the 80s)
Death Cab for Cutie (Ben Gibbard is one of the best lyric writers of the 21st century)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
Thrice is definitely one of these for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
Mark Kozelek (whether it's Red House Painters or Sun Kil Moon)

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
Death Cab for Cutie (Ben Gibbard is one of the best lyric writers of the 21st century)

Yep. Love Ben's lyrics. Especially on Plans.

I really like Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish in this regard about 90% of the time. Chris Martin of Coldplay is good most of the time with his share of really stellar moments.

And as far as Dream Theater goes, I really love John Petrucci's older lyrics (pre-FII), Kevin Moore's older lyrics (WDADU and IAW) and all of John Myung's lyrics.

Those are really my main favorites, though there are others I like.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
I've got to say, this is a great thread idea.

I see seneca mentioned Anathema, and I don't agree it's a great lyrics band. Music, yes, but lyrics? I guess it depends on tastes. I've found the lyrics on most of their latest songs cheesy at best. The band's title track is particularly cringeworthy - "But we laughed, and we cried, and we fought, and we tried, and we failed, but I loved you" is a bit painful to listen to.

It's difficult to state my favourites since I'm listening mostly to hard rock, power and progressive metal and all lyrics tend to get cheesy in these genres. I know my favourite lyrics-oriented album is Clutching at Straws by Marillion, but then I don't care about the lyrics on, say, Misplaced Childhood, or if we're talking Fish, I do like the lyrics on Cliche, but I don't care about the lyrics on, say, Big Wedge, so I can't say Fish is my favourite lyricist. Kamelot did a great job with lyrics on Epica and The Black Halo, but their latest albums were mediocre at best. Out of those bands and musicians I'm a huge fan of... well, I don't even know. Looking at my music library, I don't think there is even an artist that is entirely satisfying for me with the lyrics they wrote.

If I had to pick one favourite though, I would go with Mark Knopfler, I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »
I see seneca mentioned Anathema, and I don't agree it's a great lyrics band. Music, yes, but lyrics? I guess it depends on tastes. I've found the lyrics on most of their latest songs cheesy at best. The band's title track is particularly cringeworthy - "But we laughed, and we cried, and we fought, and we tried, and we failed, but I loved you" is a bit painful to listen to.

I agree that Anathema aren't the best when it comes to lyrics, but I do think that what they do write fits very well with the music they make. So I don't mind the line you posted, I'd say it works.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 04:02:02 PM »
Anathema's not my favorite, and certainly can be a bit cheesy at times (to say the least, depending on your tastes), but on the whole they've always struck me as very honest and from the heart. I agree on the self-titled song- not a big fan of those lyrics in particular- but for the most part I think they do really well, both in the melancholy and uplifting.

The line between emotion and melodrama can be thin at times, for sure, but so long as they're being honest I'll take melodrama over most other lyrics any day of the week.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »
Brand New
Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Microphones
Van der Graaf Generator
Destroyer

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
As much as I love both Anathema and SW, I don't really think highly of either lyric-wise. With Anathema, their lyrics are mostly fine, but what really makes Anathema so great is their music and how they capture certain moods with their music, the lyrics were pretty good around Alternative 4/Judgement, now they're a bit hit or miss. With SW, he has always been decent at lyrics, he just falls in the trap of often repeating himself and doing similar things. I would say on the whole his lyrics are decent, but he has maybe a handful of songs that really stand out, like the title track of Raven. In that song he captures something really emotional in the lyrics, and while he rarely does it, the few times he has done it, it has been special.

But I would definitely consider both of them in the "good music" and not "good lyrics" category.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »
Black Sabbath. Mainly Geezer Butler and Iommi but Ozzy does have awesome songs under his belt like The Writ and Methademic
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
To me, the lyricists I prefer are those that I can relate to personally on the events that may have happened in life (as selfish as I may have put it).  One of the better examples, to me, was Ayreon's The Human Equation album.  We can all relate to talking with our emotions in our minds and how reflects with the outside world and how it affects our decisions and the people around us.  To me, the lyric-writing there was the exclamation point that puts that album above all other progressive metal albums to me.  In addition, the lyric-writing was another reason why I really loved DT12.

Anywho, some people probably wouldn't want to say this sort of band, but you know how I am.  I'm not some people and, yes, I will throw Alter Bridge into this one.

When I first heard songs in the band's catalog like In Loving Memory, Open Your Eyes, Blackbird, Watch Over You, etc., I just thought, "Wow, this is a band that creates some good lyrics about stuff that I can relate to."  That quote still holds true in their last album in the form of the title track of Fortress where that bridge verse, after the four guitar solos part, really hits hard for me that I can easily relate with regarding how something or a relationship with someone seems fine and everything, on the outside, but on the inside, that relationship is slowly decaying and that the person is going to be left with nothing.  Captivating stuff for me.

Mark Tremonti is decent at lyric writing despite being known as a lead guitarist for three bands that has killer solos in songs.  In Loving Memory is a good example.  I think he wrote the lyrics in half of the songs of the One Day Remains album, especially In Loving Memory.  His last two solo albums was decent stuff that's about the things he has experienced in this music business that his fans can relate to.  In addition, Myles Kennedy just has a good knack of writing solid lyrics that's genuine and that I can get into, personally.  Not just with Alter Bridge, but with his old band, The Mayfield Four.  Not so much working with Slash and his band, though there are some good lyrical gems like The Unholy, Beneath the Savage Sun, Far And Away, etc.  Aside from that, it just sounds like something from a 80s hard rock band which, quite honestly, is not to my taste, but the AB and Mayfield Four stuff, lyrically, is just golden to me. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:01:45 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
Tom Waits

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
Steel Panther

You're the only girl that I like to screw
When I'm not on the road
When I come home, my dinner's made
And the front lawn is mowed

:hefdaddy
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
To me, the lyricists I prefer are those that I can relate to personally on the events that may have happened in life (as selfish as I may have put it).  One of the better examples, to me, was Ayreon's The Human Equation album.  We can all relate to talking with our emotions in our minds and how reflects with the outside world and how it affects our decisions and the people around us.  To me, the lyric-writing there was the exclamation point that puts that album above all other progressive metal albums to me.  In addition, the lyric-writing was another reason why I really loved DT12.

Anywho, some people probably wouldn't want to say this sort of band, but you know how I am.  I'm not some people and, yes, I will throw Alter Bridge into this one.

When I first heard songs in the band's catalog like In Loving Memory, Open Your Eyes, Blackbird, Watch Over You, etc., I just thought, "Wow, this is a band that creates some good lyrics about stuff that I can relate to."  That quote still holds true in their last album in the form of the title track of Fortress where that bridge verse, after the four guitar solos part, really hits hard for me that I can easily relate with regarding how something or a relationship with someone seems fine and everything, on the outside, but on the inside, that relationship is slowly decaying and that the person is going to be left with nothing.  Captivating stuff for me.

Mark Tremonti is decent at lyric writing despite being known as a lead guitarist for three bands that has killer solos in songs.  In Loving Memory is a good example.  I think he wrote the lyrics in half of the songs of the One Day Remains album, especially In Loving Memory.  His last two solo albums was decent stuff that's about the things he has experienced in this music business that his fans can relate to.  In addition, Myles Kennedy just has a good knack of writing solid lyrics that's genuine and that I can get into, personally.  Not just with Alter Bridge, but with his old band, The Mayfield Four.  Not so much working with Slash and his band, though there are some good lyrical gems like The Unholy, Beneath the Savage Sun, Far And Away, etc.  Aside from that, it just sounds like something from a 80s hard rock band which, quite honestly, is not to my taste, but the AB and Mayfield Four stuff, lyrically, is just golden to me.

Gotta agree, what a great band Alter Bridge!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 03:03:42 AM »
I got three cats atop my list...

Fish, both his work with Marillion and his solo stuff, dud is just poetic as fuck, and as Ruslan pointed out, Clutching at Straws is probably the best lyrical album out there.

Peter Nichols (IQ)- Not quite as poetic as Fish, but he's got a slightly darker edge to him, plus his early stuff had a habit of crawling inside my soul and scrambling the fuck out of it, so there's that.

Pete Townshend (The Who)- He goes often underrated for his lyrical contributions, but pay close attention to, say, Quadrophenia, and you'll see quickly the dude hammers it home, and his layered depth is unparralleled.