Author Topic: The Mars Volta Discography Thread  (Read 16963 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
The Mars Volta Discography Thread
« on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:59 AM »
So, for those who are unaware, The Mars Volta are a progressive rock band, who formed in 2001 in El Paso, Texas.
The band were formed out of the remnants of the band At the Drive-In. Prior to releasing their debut EP,Tremulant, The Mars Volta recorded two demo songs and were known for their somewhat rowdy live shows and drug use on stage.

(Some of this was done from memory, so please correct me if I'm wrong)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Mars Volta Discography Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:38:36 AM »
EDIT: sorry just realised what this was.  Follows. :D

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:43:26 AM »
 :lol that's okay. I'm surprised at how many people want to follow this, tbh. Never really saw much Mars Volta discussion here.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:50:48 AM »
Awesome! I'll be following this for sure!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »
TMV rules. Maybe even my favorite pure "Progressive Rock" band. Will follow and chip in!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
i was gonna do this, but i got super busy w/ werk. will def follow and contribute my knowledge and witty banter. (i love this band)

also, be ready for my sacrilege fav list.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »
Will follow from time to time :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
I guess I'll follow some of this but I absolutely utterly despise Bedlam to the point that I haven't listen to any TMV after that album so  :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:39 PM »
I cringe over the mixing on Bedlam..but I'm glad I didn't give up on them as I found Noctourniquet to not have the terrible mixing issues and a fair amount of good music.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
bedlam is soooo good tho. it's just so raw and energetic. i feel like it packs a much bigger punch than any of their other records.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »
I cringe over the mixing on Bedlam..but I'm glad I didn't give up on them as I found Noctourniquet to not have the terrible mixing issues and a fair amount of good music.
Wow really?

I wasn't a fan of Bedlam's mixing when I first heard the album but I've gotten more... acclimated to its style over time. It's still not great but I can listen to it now and not be annoyed.

Noctourniquet, OTOH, is crushed to absolute hell. There are a few songs that I find physically painful to listen to at times due to the amount of compression on the songs. To be fair, the compression does make some of the songs sound really cool, but I think they could've accomplished that in a different, more pleasant way.

Gonna be following this though. I lurvs me some TMV.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 01:09:36 AM »
I don't think mixing has ever ruined an album for me, and it certainly hasn't with Bedlam. It's probably my third or fourth TMV favorite album, and I still love it a lot. Almost perfect, but I'd say a 9 out of 10 or so.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 03:50:04 AM »
Looking forward to this.  I don't have all of their albums, but I assume there are ways to listen to the ones I don't have (youtube, spotify, etc)?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 05:54:01 AM »
Tremulant (EP) - Progressive/Math Rock/Experimental

Tracklist
1. Cut That City (5:43)
2. Concertina (4:54)
3. Eunuch Provocateur (8:48)
Personnel
Cedric Bixler-Zavala (Vocals)
Omar Rodríguez-López (Guitar)
Ikey Owens (Keyboard)
Jeremy Ward (Sound Manipulation)
Jon Theodore (Drums)
Eva Gardner (Bass)
Description
Tremulant is the debut release by progressive rock band The Mars Volta. Released on April 2nd, 2002, it was the only release by the band to feature Eva Gardner on bass. (who has since went on to play for Pink and Cher during their live performances)
The EP was recorded in late 2001. The EP was remastered and rereleased on April 16th, 2014.
Reception
The EP received mostly positive reviews from critics, with AllMusic giving a rating of 4/5, and Drowned in Sound giving a score of 9/10, stating that, although good, that the band were "not a safe option."
Thanks for reading! Please let me know of any corrections I may need to make.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:59:50 AM by James Mypetgiress »

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 05:55:51 AM »
Looking forward to this.  I don't have all of their albums, but I assume there are ways to listen to the ones I don't have (youtube, spotify, etc)?
I believe most of their releases are on YouTube in their full form. I know Francis the Mute is. That's how I found out about them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 05:59:47 AM »
I believe most of their releases are on YouTube in their full form. I know Francis the Mute is. That's how I found out about them.
Well, that is one that I have, so...

Don't have the EP.  I will try to find it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 06:00:44 AM »
I believe the original is quite rare. Should be able to pick up a remastered copy, however

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
I haven't heard the EP actually. Is it worth checking out?

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 06:43:55 AM »
Yeah,Concertina is one of my fav songs from TMV.

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 07:09:24 AM »
Yeah,Concertina is one of my fav songs from TMV.
Same. Great song!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 07:50:32 AM »
I believe I even have that EP... Yes I do! I'll listen to it later today!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »
Ah man, I used to have that EP on CD, but I think I traded it in at a record store at some point.........

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 08:10:28 AM »
You lucky person, you  :hefdaddy

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 08:26:33 AM »
I'd never bothered with this EP in the past, giving it a listen now. It doesn't strike me as anything special. The mix is kind of off putting. There's still a very strong ATDI vibe to these songs, which I guess is to be expected, but it's interesting to hear.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »
Lucky bastard.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »
It's okay. I never really got into any of the songs on it, but honestly I haven't listened to it as much as their other stuff.

I should probably rectify that.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
Wow really?

I wasn't a fan of Bedlam's mixing when I first heard the album but I've gotten more... acclimated to its style over time. It's still not great but I can listen to it now and not be annoyed.

Noctourniquet, OTOH, is crushed to absolute hell. There are a few songs that I find physically painful to listen to at times due to the amount of compression on the songs. To be fair, the compression does make some of the songs sound really cool, but I think they could've accomplished that in a different, more pleasant way.

Gonna be following this though. I lurvs me some TMV.

On literally 75% of Bedlam, the splash and crash cymbals sound like a high-pitched toned tambourine and it's literally like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Noctourniquet, I maybe noticed that problem on 2 tracks at the most.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
I never knew that the EP is that rare, I can't even remember where I bought it, or that it was very expensive (actually the sticker's still on it, it was 3,90 in euro's). I think I just wanted to complete the collection. Although I just have 7 albums, according to Wikipedia, I only miss Noctourniquet and a Live EP.

About the EP, never really listened to it, and this is quite an eye-opener. Actually the sound isn't that bad. I'll just write along as I listen.

The first song is quite cool, takes a lot of guts to open your first EP with a song like this. As always I don't have the faintest clue what the songs are about, English isn't my main language, and although I really think I can understand most English, I can't maken anything of all the random words Cedric is screaming.
Concertina isn't really that great. The songwriting sounds more poppy (could be the At The Drive In vibe, I've never heard a song by that band) but way too restless to be poppy. I do like the basswork in this song.
Eunuch Provocateur foreshadows De-Loused in the lyrics, but that's about it, I believe (apart from breakbeat in the outro, that's on De Loused right? Or is it on Frances?). I like the songwriting more in this track, the song could've done without the vocal effect in the verses though. I love the keys in the second part of this song.

Overall I think it's a good debut EP, they we're still looking for their own sound, and that's okay. The soundscapes/beats are very cool. I wish they used that more in later work.
The biggest plus is the bass playing, and Omar himself of course. The biggest flaw, imo, is Cedric. Impressive to see how much better he had become when De-Loused came out.

The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »
i bought the ep a couple years ago from a local record store for like 5 bucks. i've only listened to it a few times, and it's pretty good, but i love all their records so much that i never really go to it.

i'll elaborate on my feelings about goliath when we get there.
prog sucks

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 07:31:48 PM »
There was a single copy of the EP at the local Best Buy that sat there for years that I put off buying. One day it disappeared and I had a hell of a time finding it anywhere. Eventually bought a copy off of Amazon late last year. Might have been the remaster?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
There was a single copy of the EP at the local Best Buy that sat there for years that I put off buying. One day it disappeared and I had a hell of a time finding it anywhere. Eventually bought a copy off of Amazon late last year. Might have been the remaster?

i want to say that the remaster was digital only. if you bought the preorder of the antmasque record, you got it for free.
prog sucks

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 05:22:08 AM »

i want to say that the remaster was digital only. if you bought the preorder of the antmasque record, you got it for free.
I believe there was a CD, but it was a somewhat limited release. I have the remastered copy in download form. It's a noticeable difference over the original.

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
What's the best Mars Volta album to start with?
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
De-Loused in the Comatorium

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 02:25:06 PM »
What's the best Mars Volta album to start with?

De-Loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute are the two fan favorites, I'd say De-Loused is the easiest one as an entry album. The songs are shorter and more focused, on Frances they are longer and a bit harder to get into.