Typical Situation
2 (3.6%)
Crash into Me
2 (3.6%)
Stay (Wasting Time)
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 12, 2023, 06:49:19 PM

Author Topic: Dave Matthews Band (core member leaves the band on 2/2/18)  (Read 6197 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dave Matthews Band (POLL NOW ADDED)
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
Poll now added to see if we can generate a little more chatter. :hat

90's songs only.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Voted.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2018, 06:34:31 AM »
Boyd Tinsley has left the band. :eek :eek

And announced it like 12 hours after tickets went on sale for their summer tour dates.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dave Matthews Band (core member leaves the band on 2/2/18)
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »
https://www.tmz.com/2018/05/17/dave-matthews-band-violinist-boyd-tinsley-sued-sexual-harassment/

Ugly.  Just ugly.  And given that there are stories that he has been a creep for a long time, which the band knew about, this will stick to DMB for the duration.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
Damn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »
No thank you. I'm done with stories like that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2018, 08:07:39 PM »
So now grooming applies to adults? Seems to me that supplying gifts and affections to people in an effort to hopefully get into their pants has been common and accepted since we were barely upright. Frankly the dude sounds creepy as hell and I have no sympathy for him. There's no reason to distort things in an effort to make him seem even creepier, though, and if it's not a distortion and traditional aspects of courtship now garner the same language we use for child molestation, then we've become far, far more fucked up than I had realized.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2018, 08:59:52 PM »
I'm actually surprised more stories about rock stars haven't come out in the last year or so.  I think once a few more come out, the dominoes will fall and countless rock stars will be "exposed."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
This is awful, I'm really glad he's out of the band now.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2018, 05:15:19 AM »
So now grooming applies to adults? Seems to me that supplying gifts and affections to people in an effort to hopefully get into their pants has been common and accepted since we were barely upright. Frankly the dude sounds creepy as hell and I have no sympathy for him. There's no reason to distort things in an effort to make him seem even creepier, though, and if it's not a distortion and traditional aspects of courtship now garner the same language we use for child molestation, then we've become far, far more fucked up than I had realized.

Well most of the story seems like a groom, but there's one part:

Frost-Winn eventually dozed off. “I don’t know how long I was asleep, but when I came to, he was masturbating next to me while I was sleeping, and he had his hand on my ass,” he says. “He was climaxing.” Frost-Winn freaked out and ran to another part of the house while Tinsley followed after him; he eventually came back to the studio.

Which to me is where things went from a groom to a sexual assault.  I know it's only one side of the story, but thats the part of the story that makes me feel like this guy went too far and being labelled a "sexual predator" could be correct and not some exaggeration of the #metoo movement.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2018, 07:48:47 AM »
But at what point does Frost-Winn become a culpable conspirator?  I realize that it's fact-dependent; if I basically treat you as a personal assistant, giving you gifts and access in exchange for, say, help in wardrobe or something, then one day you wake up with my weiner in your hand, but to el Barto's point, if we're not careful, the logical next step is that every divorce proceeding has a "sexual assault claim" built into it.    There's a point at which we have to look at Frost-Winn and say "you have some culpability here".  "Ten years" is a long time to not leave, and it's not as if The Crystal Garden was touring stadia. 

I read that story and felt very... dirty, and it wasn't just because Tinsley is a creep (he is) or a very, very confused man facing middle age and dealing with sexuality issues (he might be, who knows).    But I found the statement by DMB/Dave to be very telling.  That band doesn't know what to make of this.  They're clearly trying to be sensitive to a good chunk of their audience (young, liberal hippies) but it's clear they're not 100% on board with anything other than their guy being a rock star.   A weird rock star, but a rock star.   And where does the "shark incident", and any of four or five rumors about Freddie Mercury and Elton John fit in with this?  What's worse?  Asking a dude for his dirty socks, or sodomizing a groupie with a mud shark?