Author Topic: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum  (Read 139783 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum
« Reply #561 on: March 15, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
Unless some friends on the other side of the pond respond,  I may be the only one here who like the band, The Feeling.  70's glam style pop but modern sounding.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »
Vallejo - funky, Latin rock w/ some progressive tendencies

obscure Christian bands/artists:

Room Full Of Walters
Grammatrain
Poor Old Lu
Aaron Sprinkle
Sherri Youngward
Luna Halo
Adam's Housecat
Atomic Opera
The Awful Truth
Between Thieves
Brandtson
Brave Saint Saturn
Burlap To Cashmere
Derek Webb
Enter The Worship Circle
Fono
Jason Upton
Lincoln Brewster
Lost Dogs
PFR
Polarboy
Pete Stewart
Sent By Ravens
Shawn McDonald
Shane & Shane
Soular 7
Spoken
Thousand Foot Krutch
The Waiting

I was really into obscure Christian music when I was in college.  And when it's already Christian music, the fact that it's obscure to most Christians means it's really obscure to the general populace.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
I had a friend that tried to get me into Thousand Foot Crutch once.

It didn't work.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2010, 03:25:13 PM »
Sigh, maybe?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2010, 03:28:50 PM »

It didn't work.
If you change the "C" to a "K," their music dramatically improves.  No, I only heard their first album and it was around the same time I liked bands such as P.O.D. and Spoken (2000-2001).  Not as huge on them now, but still some good songs on there.  They do a nice cover/re-write of EMF's 'Unbelievable.'

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
It really is a K?  My friend was a really bad typist, so I just kind of assumed...

:lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #567 on: March 15, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
DREAM THEATRE

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »
Vallejo - funky, Latin rock w/ some progressive tendencies

obscure Christian bands/artists:

Room Full Of Walters
Grammatrain
Poor Old Lu
Aaron Sprinkle
Sherri Youngward
Luna Halo
Adam's Housecat
Atomic Opera
The Awful Truth
Between Thieves
Brandtson
Brave Saint Saturn
Burlap To Cashmere
Derek Webb
Enter The Worship Circle
Fono
Jason Upton
Lincoln Brewster
Lost Dogs
PFR
Polarboy
Pete Stewart
Sent By Ravens
Shawn McDonald
Shane & Shane
Soular 7
Spoken
Thousand Foot Krutch
The Waiting

I was really into obscure Christian music when I was in college.  And when it's already Christian music, the fact that it's obscure to most Christians means it's really obscure to the general populace.

Big PFR fan here.  I love Great Lenghts.  Great harmonies.  You should get this one off ablum by a couple of Christian session players called, Dogs of Peace.  Self titled.  It's Pink Floyd meets Rush.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
Big PFR fan here.  I love Great Lenghts.  Great harmonies.  You should get this one off ablum by a couple of Christian session players called, Dogs of Peace.  Self titled.  It's Pink Floyd meets Rush.
PFR does have nice harmonies.  I might have to put them on tonight; it's been a while.  I've never heard of Dogs of Peace -- have to check that out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »
PFR does have nice harmonies.  I might have to put them on tonIight; it's been a while.  I've never heard of Dogs of Peace -- have to check that out.

It's is on I-Tunes I believe.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2010, 08:10:50 PM »

It didn't work.
If you change the "C" to a "K," their music dramatically improves.  No, I only heard their first album and it was around the same time I liked bands such as P.O.D. and Spoken (2000-2001).  Not as huge on them now, but still some good songs on there.  They do a nice cover/re-write of EMF's 'Unbelievable.'

I saw them at Parachute festival one year.  They're good live, not really a fan of their music though.  I think hefdaddy listens to Enter the Worship Circle, too.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
Unless some friends on the other side of the pond respond,  I may be the only one here who like the band, The Feeling.  70's glam style pop but modern sounding.
I wouldn't call myself a fan of them, but I do like their music. They get a fair bit of radio play over here.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »
I wouldn't call myself a fan of them, but I do like their music. They get a fair bit of radio play over here.

The first album is perfection.  No airplay on the second album and it wasn't even released in the USA.  I loved the 3 songs they did on Live from Abbey Road TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDdkqRSLQi4

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
Looks like no one challenged my claim for DREAM THEATRE, so I guess I am the only fan.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #575 on: March 15, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »

It didn't work.

I saw them at Parachute festival one year.  They're good live, not really a fan of their music though.  I think hefdaddy listens to Enter the Worship Circle, too.
If you're into praise and worship, Enter The Worship Circle is about as authentic and non-cheesy as it gets.  When I was in college, several ministries got together to bring the guy and his band in for a concert and some seminar sessions.  He's really cool and a bit strange -- not you're straight-laced fundamentalist at all.  Anyway - just some 411 in case anybody cares.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2010, 09:50:37 PM »
Anyone here listen to Opus Dai?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2010, 09:57:14 PM »

It didn't work.

If you're into praise and worship, Enter The Worship Circle is about as authentic and non-cheesy as it gets.  When I was in college, several ministries got together to bring the guy and his band in for a concert and some seminar sessions.  He's really cool and a bit strange -- not you're straight-laced fundamentalist at all.  Anyway - just some 411 in case anybody cares.

Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out.  I really can't stand much commercial worship.  Like, I seriously couldn't tell the difference between any Hillsong United album, it all sounds the same.  I like it when worship bands do things a bit differently.  Have you heard Jesus Culture?  They do great atmospheric worship.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »

It didn't work.

Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out.  I really can't stand much commercial worship.  Like, I seriously couldn't tell the difference between any Hillsong United album, it all sounds the same.  I like it when worship bands do things a bit differently.  Have you heard Jesus Culture?  They do great atmospheric worship.
I haven't heard them, but they sound cool.  I couldn't agree more about commercial worship music.  There's a Christian radio station where I live and their tag line is: "Safe For The Whole Family."  And I'm like, "Yeah, because no band that you put on the air has taken a musical risk in years." 

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »
Arvo Pärt
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #580 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
Derek Webb
Enter The Worship Circle
Lincoln Brewster
Shawn McDonald
Thousand Foot Krutch
I'm familiar with all of these.  Derek Webb is an amazing songwriter, although I didn't really care for his last album.  Brewster is an amazing musician, but his stuff is a little too slick and polished for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
Arvo Pärt

Don't really categorize him as a "band", but you're not the only fan...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »
Dixie Chicks. *runs*

And I don't know anyone else who has listened to, and liked, any Nizlopi other than the admittedly annoying JCB song.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Sigh, maybe?

As in the Japanese band?
Wouldn't call meself a fan but they're quite an intriguing band
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »
Arvo Pärt
God dammit whenever I mention him I get no responses.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
Sigh, maybe?

As in the Japanese band?
Wouldn't call meself a fan but they're quite an intriguing band

Yeah, that's the one.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »
Derek Webb
Enter The Worship Circle
Lincoln Brewster
Shawn McDonald
Thousand Foot Krutch
I'm familiar with all of these.  Derek Webb is an amazing songwriter, although I didn't really care for his last album.  Brewster is an amazing musician, but his stuff is a little too slick and polished for me.
I prefer Webb's 1st solo album the most -- 'Wedding Dress' is an amazing song.  I also like a good bit of Caedmon's Call, but they're a little more popular, which is why I didn't mention them.  Agreed too on Brewster.  His 1st album is also the only one I listen to.  While it is polished, as you say, he does at least cut loose on his guitar solos, something he doesn't really do on later albums.  I think he bought into that whole "soloing brings attention to you instead of bringing glory to God" argument which is popular in some worship circles.  Obviously, I disagree.  Extra points, too, for touring and recording with Steve Perry. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #587 on: March 17, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »
Derek Webb
Enter The Worship Circle
Lincoln Brewster
Shawn McDonald
Thousand Foot Krutch
I prefer Webb's 1st solo album the most -- 'Wedding Dress' is an amazing song.  I also like a good bit of Caedmon's Call, but they're a little more popular, which is why I didn't mention them.  Agreed too on Brewster.  His 1st album is also the only one I listen to.  While it is polished, as you say, he does at least cut loose on his guitar solos, something he doesn't really do on later albums.  I think he bought into that whole "soloing brings attention to you instead of bringing glory to God" argument which is popular in some worship circles.  Obviously, I disagree.  Extra points, too, for touring and recording with Steve Perry. 
Agreed with all of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #588 on: March 17, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
Derek Webb
Enter The Worship Circle
Lincoln Brewster
Shawn McDonald
Thousand Foot Krutch
Agreed with all of this.
100% Hef Approved :tup

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #589 on: March 17, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
Cirith Ungol
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #590 on: March 17, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
Probably Racer X.  I don't really recall anybody else ever mentioning them.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #591 on: March 17, 2010, 12:01:38 PM »
Ric Ocasek's solo material

I never, EVER hear anyone here even acknowledge that he has any.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #592 on: March 17, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
Probably Racer X.  I don't really recall anybody else ever mentioning them.
I can't call myself a fan, but I adore what I've heard.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #593 on: March 17, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
Ric Ocasek's solo material

I never, EVER hear anyone here even acknowledge that he has any.
Ric Ocasek has solo material.

THERE!!!

Offline elhound

« Reply #594 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
The Eagles of Death Meta:metal - Most people I talk to can't stand this band.

Them Crooked Vultures  :metal - Haven't seen anything about them on here (haven't been on here for a long time though so I could very well be wrong about that) Its a band id recommend for anyone who likes Led Zep, Nirvana, or Kyuss.  Its a super group featuring John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters/Nirvana/Queens of the Stone Age (QOTSA)/Tenacious D) and Josh Homme (Kyuss/QOTSA/Eagles of Death Metal).