Author Topic: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum  (Read 139780 times)

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
Re: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum
« Reply #525 on: March 03, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
I used to be a huge Mushroomhead fan.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2010, 08:56:52 PM »
I used to be a huge Mushroomhead fan.

They used to be my favorite band :metal
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #527 on: March 03, 2010, 10:29:51 PM »
Been really listening to alot of "Mutiny Within" lately.....I can only hope these guys get attention...Roadrunner has really been pushing the band as far as college radio goes
They opened up for Arch Enemy and Exodus a few weeks ago over here. They sounded pretty awful, if you ask me.

I have the new album and I love it too death...I never base my opinion on a live situation, especially for an opening band, as they get the shit end of the stick as far as sound checks and how the PA is set up for them. ( see Into Eternity on the Chaos in Motion NA tour leg)

I have the God of War EP as well....not crazy about the cut on the EP...I find it one of their weaker songs

Oh, it wasn't their performance, it was the music. To me, it just sounded like generic technical metalcore, filled to the brim with overused breakdown riffs and a terrible metalcore vocals (the vocalist sounded alright when just singing, but those other vocals....*shudder*)
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #528 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:11 AM »
Wolves In The Throne Room
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #529 on: March 04, 2010, 03:13:09 AM »

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #532 on: March 05, 2010, 12:56:12 AM »
Haven't read the whole thread, but I haven't seen any mention of Rob Dougan in the forums. I love his music, hopefully he will be able to make a new album sometime soon.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #533 on: March 05, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »

Jamiroquai

I don't really like them that much but my uncle used to be the bass player
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #534 on: March 05, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
Not a band, but I would be surprised if anyone else here was a fan of singer/songwriter John Hiatt.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #535 on: March 05, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »

Jamiroquai

Was he the one who got in a fight with the lead singer?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: March 05, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
Been really listening to alot of "Mutiny Within" lately.....I can only hope these guys get attention...Roadrunner has really been pushing the band as far as college radio goes
They opened up for Arch Enemy and Exodus a few weeks ago over here. They sounded pretty awful, if you ask me.

I have the new album and I love it too death...I never base my opinion on a live situation, especially for an opening band, as they get the shit end of the stick as far as sound checks and how the PA is set up for them. ( see Into Eternity on the Chaos in Motion NA tour leg)

I have the God of War EP as well....not crazy about the cut on the EP...I find it one of their weaker songs

Oh, it wasn't their performance, it was the music. To me, it just sounded like generic technical metalcore, filled to the brim with overused breakdown riffs and a terrible metalcore vocals (the vocalist sounded alright when just singing, but those other vocals....*shudder*)

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Dream-Theater-Review-Mutiny-Withins-SelfTitled-Debut-21036.aspx
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #537 on: March 06, 2010, 12:31:12 AM »
John Mayer is awesome.

As a musician, definately.  But the guy himself just seems like such a pretentious git.  I played Continuum on repeat for months back in 2006, its a fantastic album.

I was in a music store browsing, when I saw a book in the sheet music section labled Continuum. You can imagine my dismay when I picked it up and saw it was John Mayer...ugh

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #538 on: March 06, 2010, 12:41:24 AM »
Haven't read the whole thread, but I haven't seen any mention of Rob Dougan in the forums. I love his music, hopefully he will be able to make a new album sometime soon.

Nope, I'm a huge fan. Last I heard he was working on another album as well as a classical album, but I haven't heard anything about in a while.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #539 on: March 06, 2010, 03:28:37 AM »

Nope, I'm a huge fan. Last I heard he was working on another album as well as a classical album, but I haven't heard anything about in a while.

According to Wikipedia "As of April 27, 2008 Rob Dougan is mentioned in a wine blog as an owner of a wine vineyard La Peira En Damaisela, leaving numerous questions about the supposed 2 albums he had been working on. "

Hopefully he will still release those albums, Furious Angels is fabulous (also, what a great title).

Another two bands I enjoy (not really a fan per se, but well) are Kings of Convenience and The Whitest Boy Alive, both with Erlend Øye, a real character. Anyone else likes these bands?

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #540 on: March 06, 2010, 03:46:16 AM »

Jamiroquai

Was he the one who got in a fight with the lead singer?

No, he was the one who replaced the one who got in a fight with the lead singer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fyffe
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: March 08, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Dream-Theater-Review-Mutiny-Withins-SelfTitled-Debut-21036.aspx
Mike Portnoy also likes Slipknot. What's your point?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #542 on: March 08, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »
:lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: March 08, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »

The point is that although you might not like them, others here might, given the chance they actually open their minds and not classify everything  new as just being generic....how many new/original bands over the past 5-10 years can you name that don't borrow from already existing genres.

Offline inoku

« Reply #544 on: March 08, 2010, 11:35:33 PM »
anybody here knows 80's trash metal band Wrathchild America?
I only listen to 1 album called Climbin the Wall and it was an awesome trash metal album.
it also feature a cover version of floyd's Time.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:35 AM »
anybody here knows 80's trash metal band Wrathchild America?
I only listen to 1 album called Climbin the Wall and it was an awesome trash metal album.
it also feature a cover version of floyd's Time.

I own Climbin the Walls as well as 3D . I also have their first album Souls at Zero after the name/style change. It was a shame that their debut album was held up so long in courts due to a name dispute, because once it was finally issued, they had missed the whole thrash scene

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: March 09, 2010, 06:51:56 AM »

The point is that although you might not like them, others here might, given the chance they actually open their minds and not classify everything  new as just being generic....how many new/original bands over the past 5-10 years can you name that don't borrow from already existing genres.
I understand and respect your argument, but it's more or less the generic feel of the band that turned me off than the metalcore aspect to the band. I mean, his "growl like" vocals just sounded terrible if you ask me. I don't care for them one bit.

But whatever, to each his own.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: March 09, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »

I understand and respect your argument, but it's more or less the generic feel of the band that turned me off than the metalcore aspect to the band. I mean, his "growl like" vocals just sounded terrible if you ask me. I don't care for them one bit.

But whatever, to each his own.

I understand your argument as well, I for one couldn't listen to anything with "growls" up until about a year ago. I honestly tried so hard to get into Opeth, because I loved the music, than the vocals would kick in, and I would turn it off. I think I may have been trying to hard, honestly I have a lot of times on my hands now and spend a good part of it in my car, I can't stand the "regular" rock stations and have been listening too a college station that plays mostly metal. The play a lot of the "core" type genres and I usually just turn the volume down so its more or less background music, than one day it all clicked for me. On the actual album, its probably 70% clean vocals with the growls only occuring in the pre-chorus, not sure if its the same in a live setting ( which you experienced)

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #548 on: March 12, 2010, 11:54:16 PM »
I just got into these bands due to Last.fm, so I can't claim to be a huge fan, but they're nonetheless great bands (a few indie, a few progressive rock) I never see mentioned here:

Brazil
Cire
Closure In Moscow
The Mayan Factor
Portugal. The Man
The Snake The Cross The Crown
Tides Of Man
Zero Hour
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:27:44 AM by Arcaeus »

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #549 on: March 13, 2010, 02:49:30 AM »
Portugal. The Man

:tup

I sent a song of theirs out in Track of the Day a round or two ago.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #550 on: March 13, 2010, 03:27:07 AM »
Portugal. The Man

:tup

I sent a song of theirs out in Track of the Day a round or two ago.
And it was good.  :)

I would imagine I'm the only fan here of Lyle Lovett.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #551 on: March 13, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »
Anyone else listen to any Voivod? Or is it just me?

Same with Anthrax? They seem criminally underrepresented in all the trash threads that pop up.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #553 on: March 13, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »
I do have some Voivod, but it's a later album.  Actually, it's the first album Jason Newsted plays on (self-titled, 2003).  Good stuff, but I haven't heard any of the rest of their cds.  Has their sound now changed dramatically from the 80's and 90's? 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: March 13, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
I do have some Voivod, but it's a later album.  Actually, it's the first album Jason Newsted plays on (self-titled, 2003).  Good stuff, but I haven't heard any of the rest of their cds.  Has their sound now changed dramatically from the 80's and 90's? 

The sound has changed hugely...they started as a pure thrash band...later experimented with industrial , they progressed to a more artsy/space type sound....they are one band that is hard to peg as there sounds keeps changing and evolving

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #555 on: March 15, 2010, 11:41:09 AM »
Well according to my latest "favorite" in my thread, I guess im the only Miles Davis fan
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #556 on: March 15, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
Well according to my latest "favorite" in my thread, I guess im the only Miles Davis fan

I'm not one, but I know you're not alone on here. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #557 on: March 15, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »
I definitely dig Miles Davis.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »
Opeth

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
:d'oh: