Author Topic: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum  (Read 139772 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum
« Reply #1295 on: February 24, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
I'm probably the only fan of Enya. And I'm 100% serious. I heard Orinoco Flow when I was 5 on the radio and have loved her ever since. It's impressive that she's so popular while being so recluse. She also plays all her own instruments, and overdubs herself so many times to create that ethereal sound.

Nope, I'm a fan too. Enya bros?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1296 on: February 24, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
Enya?  I don't even Knowya.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: February 24, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
Gaelic Storm

They're the band that got discovered in an LA bar by a Titanic director to become the party band in the movie.

They are the hardest working celtic band these days. They're out with a new album every year with nonstop touring. The quality of their music is incredible. They're able to write completely original material that sounds like traditional celtic, but with modern lyrics and tone.

Incredible band.

-Tof

You might like Seven Nations, as well.

I do like Seven Nations! They're like the Dave Matthews Band of Celtic Pop. I saw them in 2005 (I think) with Great Big Sea in Boston. I thought they were top notch.

Awesome!  I stumbled upon them performing in a tent at a Scottish Festival in rural Kentucky in 2000 or 2001, and have been a fan ever since.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1298 on: February 24, 2016, 04:45:17 PM »
I'm probably the only fan of Enya. And I'm 100% serious. I heard Orinoco Flow when I was 5 on the radio and have loved her ever since. It's impressive that she's so popular while being so recluse. She also plays all her own instruments, and overdubs herself so many times to create that ethereal sound.

Nope, I'm a fan too. Enya bros?

:tup
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:27 PM »
Enya Christmas/Solstice albums are sublime!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1300 on: February 24, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
Enya?  I don't even Knowya.

But does he wanna Beeya...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1301 on: February 24, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »
For all of you Enya fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCINpKJitg&feature=youtu.be&t=2m17s

By the way, I also like Enya. I listened to The Memory Of Trees a lot when I was 14 and 15. So much good music: "Pax Deorum", "Once You Had Gold", "Hope Has A Place", etc.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #1302 on: February 25, 2016, 05:58:18 AM »
I'm another Enya fan.  The Watermark album hooked me.
- Ronzoni -

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1303 on: February 25, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »
Gaelic Storm

They're the band that got discovered in an LA bar by a Titanic director to become the party band in the movie.

They are the hardest working celtic band these days. They're out with a new album every year with nonstop touring. The quality of their music is incredible. They're able to write completely original material that sounds like traditional celtic, but with modern lyrics and tone.

Incredible band.

-Tof

I love them, and have ever since they were discovered by James Cameron. Great band.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #1304 on: February 27, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
Clandestine  (the prog metal band, not the Native American folk band)

Clandestine. Sadly I think they broke up, but they were a cool prog-rock/metal female fronted band with some pop tendencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5o_l8bOEM

That song is more straight forward but has some prog elements around the 3 minute mark.

Never met a fellow fan before! I really wish they made more than one album.
Me too!  I believe they did write a song called "Elegy" for some type of charity event, but it's nowhere to be found on the Internet and the band seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.  I would kill to hear even one more album by that band.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1305 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »
Massive Attack is ruined for me for two reasons, both nonsensical when typed out in public like this:

One, they did the theme song for the show House; it was quite a while later that I realized there were words/vocals in the song.  I loved the instrumental bit that served as the show's theme, but the vocals were not to my liking.  Strike one.

Two, around the time of... I want to say Marillion.com, and into Anoraknophobia, Mark Kelly started taking to saying that they were more than a "prog" band, and began comparing some of their work to Massive Attack.  I even think that one of the working titles from the era - I want to say "House", but that could be my brain making a connection that isn't there; see above - was "Massive Attack Song".   As that is my least favorite - by a LONG way - work by Marillion, it has a sour taste in my mouth.

But, fair play, nothing ACTUALLY to do with the band or it's music.
They didn't do the theme song for the show, but rather their song was used for the show. I don't know where you live, but the European version is a lame remix without vocals, whereas everywhere else in the planet they used the original song, Teardrop (which is fantastic). And your second reason is an awful fallacy and makes absolute no sense :P - you should give the band a fair chance.

Well, The Downward Spiral is one of my most favourite albums ever (I love Closer and The Becoming), so there`s that. With Teeth is also great and The Slip is fine I guess. Haven`t heard the other albums yet.
Not even Pretty Hate Machine or The Fragile? You're missing on a lot  :P

Any Kashiwa Daisuke fans here?

Yes!
Any Kashiwa Daisuke fans here?
Yes! Because of your top 50 albums list, thanks :azn:

Dunno if you're aware, but Daisuke has announced PROGRAM MUSIC II :caffeine::dangerwillrobinson:

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1306 on: March 01, 2016, 10:35:34 AM »
Massive Attack is ruined for me for two reasons, both nonsensical when typed out in public like this:

One, they did the theme song for the show House; it was quite a while later that I realized there were words/vocals in the song.  I loved the instrumental bit that served as the show's theme, but the vocals were not to my liking.  Strike one.

Two, around the time of... I want to say Marillion.com, and into Anoraknophobia, Mark Kelly started taking to saying that they were more than a "prog" band, and began comparing some of their work to Massive Attack.  I even think that one of the working titles from the era - I want to say "House", but that could be my brain making a connection that isn't there; see above - was "Massive Attack Song".   As that is my least favorite - by a LONG way - work by Marillion, it has a sour taste in my mouth.

They didn't do the theme song for the show, but rather their song was used for the show. I don't know where you live, but the European version is a lame remix without vocals, whereas everywhere else in the planet they used the original song, Teardrop (which is fantastic). And your second reason is an awful fallacy and makes absolute no sense :P - you should give the band a fair chance.

I have to admit, I only recently got into Massive Attack, at this point I`ve only heard Mezzanine which was fantastic imo and Angel and Teardrop are the ones which stood out the most for me. But still I cannot think of how an instrumental version of Teardrop would work out, since the vocals are the most important part about that song imo.

Well, The Downward Spiral is one of my most favourite albums ever (I love Closer and The Becoming), so there`s that. With Teeth is also great and The Slip is fine I guess. Haven`t heard the other albums yet.
Not even Pretty Hate Machine or The Fragile? You're missing on a lot  :P

I know, I know, I plan of getting the other albums asap (PHM and TF have priority over the others at the moment)

Also, although I`m sure there are some fans, I haven`t seen Muse fans on here yet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1307 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »

My bad on the semantics; "House" USED the existing Massive Attack song as the theme.  I live in the States, and it too is the "lame remix"; it's basically the intro to the song as far as I can tell, and I think I was clear:  I DON'T like the vocals, so the "lame remix" is actually better in my view than the real song.   

And I already conceded the "awful fallacy" and that it had nothing to do with the band, but nonetheless, the elements that supposedly derive from Massive Attack I don't care for.  I have 2,000 CDs and 23,000 songs on my iPod; I'm really not hurting for new music at this point, and so sometimes the screening process is a little arbitrary. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1308 on: March 02, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »
I wonder if I am the only fan of Lyle Lovett and his Large Band here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #1309 on: March 02, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »
I wonder if I am the only fan of Lyle Lovett and his Large Band here.

I'm a fan.  When one of my sons was a toddler, there was a certain Lyle Lovett song when played, he would start dancing around and singing to it.  It was hilarious to hear a 3 year old belt out: "You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat"!   :lol
- Ronzoni -

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1310 on: March 02, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #1311 on: March 03, 2016, 04:47:29 AM »
I don't listen to a lot of country music, but there are a select few artists in this genre that I find great.  Lyle Lovett is one those musicians.  I love his song writing, and his lyrics.  The production quality of his releases is outstanding.  My favorite albums of his are Joshua Judges Ruth, and especially The Road to Ensenada.
- Ronzoni -

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1312 on: March 03, 2016, 06:08:16 AM »
As far as country goes I quite like the country-guitar-shredding of The Hellecasters (Will Ray, John Jorgenson, Jerry Donahue)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #1313 on: March 04, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »
• The Presidents Of The United States Of America ?

The Presidents Of The United States
II
Freaked Out & Small
Love Everybody
These Are The Good Times People
Kudos To You !

Great band!  :tup The last two are my favorites!

I remember when their first album was released. Peaches and Lump were on high rotation on MTV (and Oasis´ Wonderwall and Breakfast at Tifanny from Deep Blue Something!). But they made many other great songs.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1314 on: March 05, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »
Siam Shade.

Towards the end of high school, a Japanese friend turned me onto J-rock music.  Luna Sea, Glay and Siam Shade were his favorites and (being a huge DT fan at the time) I instantly loved Siam Shade.  One of my favorite memories from my semester in Tokyo is hearing the (then) new Siam Shade song on the radio.

Too bad it's nigh impossible to buy their albums in the US without shopping online or spending a lot of money.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #1315 on: March 05, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »
Lessee. Here goes...

Barren Cross
DC Talk
Degarmo & Key
Demon Hunter
Geoff Moore
Guardian
Holy Soldier
Idle Cure
The Imperials
Jars of Clay
John Elefante
Keith Green
Larry Norman
Margaret Becker
Mastedon
Michael W. Smith
Mylon Lefevre & Broken Heart
Needtobreathe
Petra
PFR
Rich Mullins
Steve Taylor
Theocracy

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of all these, but I at least have some or all of their stuff.  Theocracy has a decent following here.

no Burlap to Cashmere, Steven Curtis Chapman, Bride, Tourniquet, Third Day, Newsboys, Whitecross, White Heart, Halo, etc?

Rex Carroll's "Eternal Fire" solo on "In the Kingdom" was pretty cool.

Also, you forgot Deliverance.

I did.  Deliverance is awesome.  Camelot in Smithereens or River Disturbance is my favorite D album.  Jimmy P. Brown's newest project Jupiter VI likewise rules.
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #1316 on: March 05, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
Clandestine  (the prog metal band, not the Native American folk band)

Clandestine. Sadly I think they broke up, but they were a cool prog-rock/metal female fronted band with some pop tendencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5o_l8bOEM

That song is more straight forward but has some prog elements around the 3 minute mark.

Never met a fellow fan before! I really wish they made more than one album.
Hey, so I was just looking around for some more information on this band, and lo and behold!  They made a post on their Facebook page this past Dec. 30!  (It was a picture of June)  There's a few comments with questions about their future, but they haven't responded.  Regardless, knowing that they're at least still alive made my day!   :biggrin:

Also, June's page says that she's working on a solo project...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:28:37 PM by The Cat Of Tuscany »