Author Topic: Greatest metal guitar solo of all time?  (Read 12565 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Greatest metal guitar solo of all time?
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
What does everything think the best metal guitar solo or solos of all time are?

I know it's a question that can't properly be answered and is totally subjective, but the other day when I was listening to Priest's Painkiller in the car, I was listening to Glen's razor sharp leads blasting through my right speaker and I thought to myself, "you know what, this could be the greatest heavy metal guitar solo of all time."  The precision, skill, execution and phrasing is just perfect.  Not sure it's the best, I just thought that at the time, but Tipton would surely have many solos in the best of all time category, he's incredible.

Also would love to get some different songs as being a guitarist myself, seeing if there's some I've missed out on that I need to hear.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Greatest metal guitar solo of all time?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »
It's an impossible question to answer given how much a whole genre covers, and what you value in a solo.

But Bark at the Moon was the first to come to mind, so I'll throw that one out there. But then you can't mention Ozzy without mentioning Rhoads, so then Over the Mountain comes to mind.

Not sure they'd be the absolute best metal solos of all time, but if you were making a top list, they'd have to be on there somewhere, right? :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:44:01 PM »
I know the title is too harsh but that's what I'm looking for, things that spring to mind that have always impressed.  The idea can span over many genres really, melodic rock, AOR, prog etc.

Bark at the Moon is so classic and a well crafted solo.  Jake's runs are tricky to master and build a great climax.

Speaking of Randy, my fav from him might actually be Revelation.  OTM is certainly one of his greatest though, but Revelation was always IMO a well put together solo.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »
I know the title is too harsh but that's what I'm looking for, things that spring to mind that have always impressed.  The idea can span over many genres really, melodic rock, AOR, prog etc.

Bark at the Moon is so classic and a well crafted solo.  Jake's runs are tricky to master and build a great climax.

Speaking of Randy, my fav from him might actually be Revelation.  OTM is certainly one of his greatest though, but Revelation was always IMO a well put together solo.

It's so hard to choose just one for Randy, because all of his solos were so thoughtful and composed. Revelation is a great one, but I think all of the solos in Mr Crowley would be my choice from Blizzard. There are multiple solos, and each one is just as memorable and iconic.
Flying High Again is another strong contender, I could just go on.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
The live version of Revelation (off Tribute) was one of my all time favourite things to play ,as was BATM.  But yeah - tough to learn.

Another few that come to mind are Gutter Ballet , Tornado of Souls, Practice What You Preach/Electric Crown , Altitudes , Under A Glass Moon and Cemetery Gates.  The midsection of Still of the Night (incl riffs) would be up there. I could go on and on with this topic :lol

Eruption perhaps? :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:10:05 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
The solo in Muse's Big Freeze is my favorite guitar solo ever. That's not really metal though.

The one in Destrage's Neverending Mary is the first metal one that comes to my mind. I'll think on this for a little while and see if I come up with anything else.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:59:35 PM »
One of my all time favorite and most memorable solos (even though it's pretty short) is Adrian Smith's solo in Aces High. 

KK and Glen both do a pretty amazing job on The Sentinel. 

EDIT:   And I don't mean to pander...but honestly... the most amazing and memorable solo I've ever heard is STILL JP's solo from Under a Glass Moon
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:54 PM »
EDIT:   And I don't mean to pander...but honestly... the most amazing and memorable solo I've ever heard is STILL JP's solo from Under a Glass Moon

it's always the first thing that comes to my mind when this question comes around
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 10:10:03 PM »
A fairly obscure one that always really impressed me.   Danny Stag from the short-lived Zeppelin-clone Kingdom Come.  They had a couple of hits from their debut album in the late 80's, and then disappeared. 

This solo from their ballad What Love Can Be is one of those solos that stuck with me years later as being absolutely brilliant.   I included it with the time stamp...

https://youtu.be/NijdmExv9pU?t=3m10s

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »
I also want to add Paul Gilbert's solo from the end of "The Door" on Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura to the mix
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
I always liked the solo in Beyond the Realms of Death

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 10:30:50 PM »
I was doing some digging to see if I could remember some others.   

Man...I forgot how much fun it was to listen to Vito Bratta from White Lion.    Just pick one.   Hungry is really good, but even Wait is just a really great solo. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »
I was doing some digging to see if I could remember some others.   

Man...I forgot how much fun it was to listen to Vito Bratta from White Lion.    Just pick one.   Hungry is really good, but even Wait is just a really great solo.

Little Fighter is my favourite of his.  I wasn't thinking of him as "metal" but yeah - great guitarist.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 10:49:32 PM »
Well....it was "hair metal"...but it was still a sub-genre of metal. 

It still cracks me up that everything that was considered "metal" in the 70's was not "metal" in the 80's, and then when we got to the 90's, the 80's stuff wasn't "metal" any more...and so on and on.

By today's definitions, you would think that a record store in 1979 would stock their "heavy metal" section with only Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.    :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 11:05:43 PM »
Megadeth's My Last Words
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 11:12:42 PM »
Well....it was "hair metal"...but it was still a sub-genre of metal. 

It still cracks me up that everything that was considered "metal" in the 70's was not "metal" in the 80's, and then when we got to the 90's, the 80's stuff wasn't "metal" any more...and so on and on.

By today's definitions, you would think that a record store in 1979 would stock their "heavy metal" section with only Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.    :lol

I like to think that I'm not quite that thick.   I've just never used the term "hair metal"- to me it's always been hard rock .  I have also always referred to 70's era Van Halen, Deep Purple etc....as metal as I feel it had the metal attitude/heaviness  for the time. Mid -late 80's I would call some of the same bands' material "hard rock".   But stuff like Bon Jovi/White Lion etc....(both of which I love) just doesn't register with me as metal at all - early Def Leppard  would though.

I'm well aware that everyone has their own definitions of metal and that's cool.  I don't consider anyone "correct" when it comes to this and I merely stated that I don't think of White Lion as metal.  I certainly don't think you or anyone else is wrong and I'm normally careful not to wade into discussions on genre definitions for that reason. Oops.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:29:33 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 11:14:17 PM »
Honestly...it's all cool.   I wasn't so much complaining as I was LQTM....and then typing out loud.   :biggrin:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
The idea can span over many genres really, melodic rock, AOR, prog etc.

alex lifeson - la villa strangiato

This solo is all about the build up. Starts relatively simple and emotive, then builds up in difficulty until it's basically shredding, then suddenly calms back down... All of this while remaining in 7/8
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:08 AM »
My favourite solo of all time is Devin's solo on Deep Peace. Perfect build-up, start to finish and amazing melodies.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 12:45:35 AM »
Criss Oliva's solo in Gutter Ballet was the reason I started playing guitar. It will likely always be the first one to come to mind for me whenever someone mentions 'great solos'. It might not be the 'best', but for me it is.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 12:48:17 AM »
Criss Oliva's solo in Gutter Ballet was the reason I started playing guitar. It will likely always be the first one to come to mind for me whenever someone mentions 'great solos'. It might not be the 'best', but for me it is.

Very cool to see his legacy being appreciated across the generations  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 12:56:12 AM »
Propably something by Guthrie Govan, canīt come up with any names right now.

I really like Under a Glass Moon  but Day of The Dead by Holdsworth with Sherinian is propaby the most interesting.

Iīm a River by Uli Roth isnīt metal but possibly my favorite rock solo. The best tone  I have ever heard.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 02:20:37 AM »

Always nice to see Criss Oliva mentioned

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 03:24:11 AM »
The best metal guitar solo that I have heard is Criss Oliva's All That I Bleed guitar solo (including the outro). It's not complicated but it is so full of emotion, it is a song in itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjDl3lcAf8g

Queen does not really qualify as metal, but Brian May's solos in Tie Your Mother Down, Seven Seas of Rhye, Save Me, Somebody to Love, Bohemian Rhapsody, The March of the Black Queen, and Innuendo are just heavenly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:47:41 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 03:36:09 AM »

it's always the first thing that comes to my mind when this question comes around

I will never understand the love for that solo. :( I think it's *technically* good but that's it ( for me ).

Lines In The Sand, As I Am, Razor's Edge, The Best Of Times are all better IMO.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 04:43:48 AM »
My favourite solo of all time is Devin's solo on Deep Peace. Perfect build-up, start to finish and amazing melodies.
Completely agreed. That's definitely one of my favourites.

I will never understand the love for that solo. :( I think it's *technically* good but that's it ( for me ).

Lines In The Sand, As I Am, Razor's Edge, The Best Of Times are all better IMO.

Those are great as well. My two favourite JP solos are probably Razor's Edge and The Best of Times.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 05:14:14 AM »
Goodnight Kiss, Hell's Kitchen also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 05:40:14 AM »
Criss Oliva was also one of my idols learning the guitar.  I think my style really leans on what he did on those Savatage albums, he was just so expressive and had great phrasing and feel.  There's a lot of his that are great but favs are;

He Carves His Stone (epic ending)
Ghost in the Ruins
Miles Away
Follow Me

Actually, the whole Edge of Thorns album is a perfect example of brilliant lead playing and every guitarist should hear it.

The live version of Revelation (off Tribute) was one of my all time favourite things to play ,as was BATM.  But yeah - tough to learn.

Another few that come to mind are Gutter Ballet , Tornado of Souls, Practice What You Preach/Electric Crown , Altitudes , Under A Glass Moon and Cemetery Gates.  The midsection of Still of the Night (incl riffs) would be up there. I could go on and on with this topic :lol

Eruption perhaps? :)

Everything here is worthy.  Love the Practice What You Preach mention, definitely a great solo from Alex. 

I always liked the solo in Beyond the Realms of Death

That's definitely a fav of all time for me too. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 05:43:59 AM »
Michael Schenker from the Strangers version of Rock Bottom.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 06:56:30 AM »

You're telling me.  My band has done this song for a while now and it's TOUGH.  It's even tougher when your drummer has a tendency to play too fast.  :lol

Another great one is Electric Eye.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
Tornado of Souls immediately springs to mind.  Phrasing on that is excellent, especially considering its thrash metal. 

Floods by Pantera is pretty memorable. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »
Tornado of Souls (Marty Friedman)
No More Tears (Zakk Wylde)

These are my two favorites, without thinking too hard.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
twins xx

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 07:17:16 AM »
I'll give this some thought but one that leaps to mind is the solo from Dokken's In My Dreams. Went through a hair metal phase a bit ago and that one really stood out.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 07:38:45 AM »
Selkies.

You should all feel bad for not mentioning it yet.