Author Topic: General TV Comedy Thread  (Read 2882 times)

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
General TV Comedy Thread
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
These types of general threads are usually discouraged on forums, but let's face it, it's hard to derive conversation from shows that aren't driven by a consistent narrative. However, this board totally needs more comedy chat.

I've been really impressed by Comedy Central's recent output. If they could stop with the fucking faux roasts and airings of goddamned Joe Dirt and the like, they'd really be on fire. Same with Adult Swim, loads of insanely good programming interrupted by Seth McFarlane's existence. I think the thing I look forward to most every week is probably Louie. Original choice, I know, but even when I'm not laughing I'm completely invested. As far as yer mainstream sitcoms go, the only one that doesn't simultaneously elicit rage and fear is Modern Family. I don't care that I've never met families that resemble theirs in any way, it's still consistent after all this time, which most sitcoms can't say.

So folks, what's got you laughing recently?
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: General TV Comedy Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:12:01 PM »
Impractical Jokers on True TV cracks me up non stop! Those group of buddies,doing the things they do to each other.....it's hilarious!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
I'm usually only following Louie and this is the first season I'm able to see as it airs. Oddly the second episode hasn't been available on demand so I don't want to watch the other three (now four) since I know there's been continuing storylines throughout the series.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 06:33:09 AM »
Impractical Jokers on True TV cracks me up non stop! Those group of buddies,doing the things they do to each other.....it's hilarious!

That show is too much. I'm not sure what would be harder, being friends with them or Bam Margera. The permanent punishment was amazing.
Jaden Smith!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, the two funniest shows on TV right now are on HBO: Silicon Valley and Veep.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
That show is too much. I'm not sure what would be harder, being friends with them or Bam Margera.

It's not even close. Bam Margera is not only talentless....he's easily in the top 10 of most annoying people that steal the air other people are meant to breathe. Just an utter waste of plasma.

Those guys are actually funny and have personality...they are only doing things to themselves.....which they signed up for. That tard' Margera does crap to other people that don't want it done to them AND he's just not funny.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, the two funniest shows on TV right now are on HBO: Silicon Valley and Veep.

I'd like to see Veep as it's written by Armando Iannucci. Who's pretty much a comedy genius.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »

I'd like to see Veep as it's written by Armando Iannucci. Who's pretty much a comedy genius.
The show doesn't let up.  It's just constant laughs.  No commercials, no laugh track or audience, so it is sometimes hard to catch all the funny because you are busy laughing at the last funny.

Same with Silicon Valley.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
Veep is the bomb and I love Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 04:46:42 PM »
It's just one short series but if anyone likes Veep - they should check out The Armando Iannucci Shows.

It's surreal and hilarious.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
I'm a big fan of British comedies, some of which are available on the free Hulu.

Count Arthur Strong is one of my personal favorites, but they only have the first series of it on Hulu so far: https://www.hulu.com/count-arthur-strong

Moone boy is about a kid and his imaginary friend.  I wasn't sure about the concept, but I ended up loving the show.  The first two series are on free Hulu, and most of series 3 is Hulu+ only right now: https://www.hulu.com/moone-boy

There isn't much comedy on any of the regular broadcast channels that has really hooked me for awhile.  I like The Simpsons and try to remember to watch Bob's Burgers, but that's about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 12:28:29 PM »
I need to see Count Arthur Strong as it's partly written by Graham Linehan who's responsible for Father Ted, Black Books & The IT Crowd.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »
I need to see Count Arthur Strong as it's partly written by Graham Linehan who's responsible for Father Ted, Black Books & The IT Crowd.

I really like Count Arthur.  One of the Series 2 episodes is quite possibly the funniest episode of a sitcom that I've seen. 

If you haven't watched Moone Boy you should give it a shot.  Chris O'Dowd from IT Crowd created it and stars in it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »
Don't watch that many comedy shows these days, not sure why.

Used to watch the hell of:

3rd Rock From The Sun
King Of Queens
Spin City
Friends
Seindfeld
Black Adder
Fresh Prince
Fraiser

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline T-ski

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10:34 AM »
is Night Court or WKRP still on?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
is Night Court or WKRP still on?
Unfortunately, no.  But those are two classics.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
Last night, we watched the first four episodes of Grace & Frankie on Netflix.  We thought it was hilarious.  Of course, given the cast, I would imagine it skews toward older audiences, so some of you whippersnappers may not like it.

It's about two women (played by Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin) who were married to Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston, respectively, who play longtime law partners.  Each couple has been married to each other for over 40 years, and although the husbands work together, the wives could never really stand each other.

Now, at a dinner that the wives assume the husbands will use to announce their retirement, they instead announce that they are leaving their wives for each other, and have been maintaining an affair with each other for 20 years.  They are now deciding to leave their wives and marry each other, since it's legal now.  And the wives wind up going through this trauma together.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Working in the IT world, I can relate to Silicon Valley. I love that show and is a great way to decompress after watching GOT.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
Working in the IT world, I can relate to Silicon Valley. I love that show and is a great way to decompress after watching GOT.
Yeah, that show is gold.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
The SWOT analysis on 'Let Blaine Die' just about killed me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 10:03:52 AM »
The SWOT analysis on 'Let Blaine Die' just about killed me.
:lol  Yes!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
I never usually laugh a lot at Silicon Valley but it is entertaining as hell and I love it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 06:56:59 AM »
I am so looking forward to seeing Patrick Stewart in this kind of role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6-lFI0FxpY
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
I am so looking forward to seeing Patrick Stewart in this kind of role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6-lFI0FxpY
That looks fun.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »
It sure does.  Glad its on cable.  Already set my DVR for this one.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »
Been watching this on netflix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z09bNgSeMI
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Last weekend's Silicon Valley was again a great hilarious episode, for some reason I thought it was the season finale. I thought to myself that as far as finales go it seemed quite in the middle. Hadn't realized they have a 10 episode season this time. Can still decompress after GOT!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
Last weekend's Silicon Valley was again a great hilarious episode, for some reason I thought it was the season finale. I thought to myself that as far as finales go it seemed quite in the middle. Hadn't realized they have a 10 episode season this time. Can still decompress after GOT!
:tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 01:41:39 PM »
The "Work Outing" episode of The IT Crowd is one of the funniest half hours of television ever made.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
Just finished the first season and the last couple of episodes had me laughing hysterically especially Erlichs presentation in ep 7.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »
Haven't seen any of Veep, just haven't gotten around to it, but I couldn't agree more with this. Another American fan of British comedy, though I haven't seen nearly enough to consider myself well versed in it. But anything Iannucci or Chris Morris touches is gold to me.

Also going to echo the sentiments about Silicon Valley. Sharp and gripping all the same. Nanjiani and Miller are definitely more than worthy of all the praise they get, but Woods and Middleditch definitely bring their improv chops to the table as well. Jared's probably my favorite character from a comedy.

On Impractical Jokers - I've watched a few bits and while it's certainly entertaining, prank shows tend to really put me off and it's no different. Marc Maron said it best in that stuff like Jackass is primal and inherently funny, but to add to that I find it more palatable because they don't tend to have "victims" outside of members of their group. And they had the endorsement of John Waters. BUT, I've heard nothing but good things about the Impractical Jokers guys' comedy troupe, so I'm sure they're not without wit. If you like that though, Nathan For You is absolutely fantastic, one of the best shows running imo. Nathan himself is always the butt of the joke, and the way things spiral is wonderful.

EDIT: I've seen Night Court on some movie channel, which was random but for which I am very grateful. Might be one of those service-exclusive channels, though.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
The "Work Outing" episode of The IT Crowd is one of the funniest half hours of television ever made.

I didn't remember it by name, but I was going to say that episode was the funniest imo, then it turns out that's the episode I was thinking of anyway. :tup That and The Speech.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »
If that's the one where Jen has the internet in a box then :tup.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 04:15:45 AM »
If that's the one where Jen has the internet in a box then :tup.

That's the one. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 05:55:10 AM »
Nice to see the Silicon Valley love here, that show is one of my favorites on TV now.  I've gotten so many people into that show too, it's just soo good.  It also relates a lot to my job (which was a tech start up) so a lot of the jokes are things I relate to at work, the whole "make the internet better" lol.  I think I've watched every episode at least 5 times and I still crack up.