Author Topic: Question/vent about social calendars and flakiness  (Read 1320 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Question/vent about social calendars and flakiness
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »
Okay, so I'm wondering: When somebody invites you to an event (Facebook, email, snail mail, in person, whatever), do you immediately take note of it on your calendar/in your phone/however you keep track of these things?

I know when I say "yes" to something, I immediately write it down in my calendar (I have one in my phone that I use for reminder alarms, but prefer paper). My brain can't keep track of this shit, so I make sure I have that reminder. And then if, let's say I'm out with a friend and she says "Hey, wanna come to my party on the 8th?" I'll usually say something like "That sounds awesome, but I have to check my calendar before I say yes for sure." (Not only does this avoid double-booking myself, but it also prevents me from politely committing to stuff I really don't want to do.) Then I go home, check the calendar, and give the person an answer after that. (I'm sure with smartphones and whatnot lots of people just do this digitally/more quickly, but same idea.)

The reason I ask is because I've had SO MANY goddamn people flake out on events I've planned, and I find it extremely annoying and rude. It's one thing if something else comes up or you're sick, but two weeks ago I had a housewarming party at my new place, and TWELVE people who had said yes just never showed up without any explanation. I got 2-3 messages from people the day or two before saying sorry, they had to cancel at the last minute. That's fine. I get it. I've done it myself quite a few times. But the people who said yes and never showed up: wtf? Maybe I'm just more anal about this stuff than the average person, but I would just never do that. I don't say yes unless I am free, I try to avoid the "maybe" button on FB if I can, and if something comes up, I always tell the person as far ahead of time as possible.
I know everybody's different, but it kinda baffles me that other people can't/don't keep track of their own shit. And I am NOT an organized person. I'm a mess. But I have a calendar, and it's not that hard. I guess maybe others don't value this sort of thing as much and have fewer qualms about bailing on something they've committed to.

This rant was sparked by something that happened today- different type of situation, but equally lame. A pretty good friend of mine made a post on FB tagging me and several other friends and asking if we were interested in going to see Jurassic World on June 12th with him at the Alamo Drafthouse. He already bought a ticket and told us where he was sitting.

June 12th is my 30th birthday. I planned a big party at one of my favorite local joints and this friend already RSVPed yes quite some time ago. Now he's going to a fucking movie that's going to be in theatres for a long-ass time, and it's kind of lame (sure, he could come later when it's about to end, but obviously that wasn't the intent as he invited me to the movie). He's not normally the flaky type, he's a grown-ass man who clearly keeps a calendar (he goes to lots of movies and other events and often will say he has to check before he can commit to something)... so what the fuck? I feel kind of hurt by this. Like, he can keep track of other commitments but not my party... or maybe he just didn't give a shit about the party in the first place. Bleh.

tl;dr: a friend made other plans on the date of my birthday party that he already RSVPed to, causing me to rant about general flakiness of people and why the fuck can't an adult keep track of his/her own calendar?

Tell me, DTF: How do you keep track of your shit, and how much of a flake are you?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Question/vent about social calendars and flakiness
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:48:49 AM »
First off that sucks about your good friend missing your party.....it seems to me you have the right to be upset about that.

As far as flaking out in general.....I know for my wife and I at least.....we live by the smartphone calendar. Plus, we still have a calendar that hangs next to our pantry door in the kitchen that we write everything in as well. It's just too insane with all the sports games, work and family events.....if it's not on those calendars it doesn't happen.

I was raised to honor your word so to speak so if I commit to something I attend or do it....rarely will I just 'not go'. If I can't make something I've committed to there's usually a good reason and if there's money involved that I've committed to where a group of folk were counting on that I'll still pay my share. My wife often thinks I'm 'mean' when people will ask if I want to do something/go somewhere and I just flat out say 'no, i don't want to' to them. She has a hard time doing that and finds herself doing things that she really doesn't want to do....I don't. If I don't want to do it or it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy I just say 'no thanks'...that's it....

I think it's inconsiderate to commit to something....be it a party, get together, ballgame...whatever, and then pull a no show or pull out at the last minute. Sure, there will be occasions where you absolutely have no choice but in general if you have a habitual party pooper in your life I'd just stop inviting them..

I hope your BDay party goes well!! Enjoy the folks who do come and don't worry about those who don't....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 06:52:22 AM »
I admit I am bad even with a smart phone but we still never miss a party for that reason.  We try to write everything on our calender as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:55:45 AM »
My wife is more organized than me.  But we use Google calendar to plan things, so we are literally all on the same page. 

Sucks that that guy couldn't plan to go to a showing of the film at a time other than your party.  I understand wanting to see a film on opening day, but they aren't shown only at one showing.  He could pick a different time.  Or, just this once, go on Saturday. 

Bottom line, If I commit to something on a given day and time, if something else comes up, I can't do it, I'm already committed.  And if something comes up that's unavoidable, and I have to miss a previous commitment (illness, emergency, whatever) I contact the relevant party to apologize and let them know I will have to miss.

It's called being an adult.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »
Some people just suck at keeping track of important things. 

I am one of them. 

I once got it in my head that my wife's birthday was the 3rd of August... its the 3rd of October.  I thought our anniversary was the 25th... its the 21st.  I've sat at home in my underwear and got the 'where are you' text quite a few times where I've completely forgotten about meeting up with someone.  I've missed a fuckload of check-ups with doctors.  I dunno.  Maybe your friend is just like me, I doubt he double booked himself on purpose just to hurt you.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »

It's called being an adult.

Yeah, this is kind of why it baffles me. Like I said, I'm a very disorganized person but I know that, which is why I have the system I do. Yes, occasionally I've forgotten to write something down and double-booked, and that reinforces the importance of having the calendar.

sneaky, I hear what you're saying and I totally have friends who are like that, but he is not normally one of them. I'm not saying he did it to hurt me, I'm just saying I am a bit hurt.

ps- Maybe you should have a calendar where you write important dates  ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:47:13 AM »
I once got it in my head that my wife's birthday was the 3rd of August... its the 3rd of October.
That one's pretty bad, dude.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
In my defence, I was having chemo at the time, and that stuff can fuck with your memory a lot. 

Or so I'm told. 

Oh, I do.  I have my study calendar on the fridge, another calendar next to the pantry, a chalkboard for writing important dates and TWO calendars on my iPhone... and I still manage to fuck my calendar up.  There's no hope for me :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
Oh man, that's bad  :lol... but yes, chemo can definitely fuck with your head.

So my friend changed his movie ticket and is now going on Saturday, wee! The original flake rant still stands though, I'm still annoyed at the people who didn't show up to my party or say anything. You're adults, for fuck's sake!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 12:48:07 PM »
It depends what the event is for. If it's something where I am shelling out several hundred dollars on food and booze, I get really pissed when the final guest count is significantly smaller than what RSVPs projected.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
I have a PhD in physics, which of course means I completely lose track of everything.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
In my defence, I was having chemo at the time, and that stuff can fuck with your memory a lot. 

Or so I'm told. 

Oh, I do.  I have my study calendar on the fridge, another calendar next to the pantry, a chalkboard for writing important dates and TWO calendars on my iPhone... and I still manage to fuck my calendar up.  There's no hope for me :lol

We had some good conversations sneaky during that time..  So glad I can type this today to you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »
double-booking myself

originally read this as "double-boobing myself"

It does not say that.  Carry on . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
 :lol

Well, I do have two...

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 06:54:55 PM »
I feel like this is a recent phenomenon. People say yes to everything because they don't want to disappoint. Then when the time actually comes around, they flake because they simply never really wanted to go.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
Yeah, I feel like it's more recent as well. I also wonder if they see it and click "yes" before they actually check to see if they can go, or they never write it down.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »
Can I come?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 10:47:24 PM »

Or so I'm told. 

We had some good conversations sneaky during that time..  So glad I can type this today to you.

Yes we did, you're a good man Joe! I'm glad I'm here to read it today :)