Author Topic: The Daft Punk Thread  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
The Daft Punk Thread
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »
This needed to be here.

For those that don't know, these are the 2 French guys robots that make the awesome pop songs that deserve to be popular.

Favorite albums? Favorite songs?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Daft Punk Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
I might be the only person, but my favorite tune of their last album is actually the Giorgio Moroder one. Great build-up.

Also, someone created a music video for "Lose yourself to dance":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXv37PFcAQ

If that video doesn't get you into a summer mood, there's something wrong with you :D
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »
the Giorgio Moroder track is awesome.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
I'm just familiar with Discovery, but I should dig deeper into their other works. They're one of the very few popular or "mainstream" artists I feel don't totally suck.  Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is all sorts of amazing :metal .

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »
The entirety of RAM is fantastic. Definitely my favorite album of 2013.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
The entirety of RAM is fantastic.

This. The whole album is great. Did anyone else see the video of "Contact" synced up with a scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey? It matches up almost perfectly and it's insanely good!

Discovery was my first foray into them as I recall seeing the first four songs/music videos from the album's anime film, Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem. After watching those, I was HOOKED on the music and sought out the whole album, which I absolutely love. One of my favorite non-prog albums of all time.

Their other two albums have some decent tunes, too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »
Homework and RAM are good albums but Discovery is amazing, one of my favorites  :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »
God, I love this band. They just know how to make great music and make it appeal to the masses. As successfully as they've been mainstream, they go against everything that historically mainstream listeners have been keen on, like the same old verse-chorus-verse.

RAM and Discovery are head to head their best records, but I have to say when I think of Daft Punk, I think of Discovery. Sonically one of the best produced albums I've ever listen to.

I love the love for Giorgio By Moroder! Such an amazing song. The drumming is just absolutely aces, especially the last three minutes.

I really love Touch, the song they made with Paul Williams. What a structurally well made song.

I can't say enough about their TRON: Legacy score  :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
Discovery is fantastic. :hefdaddy Veridis Quo and Face to Face are some of my favorite songs they've ever put out.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 05:32:40 PM »
Homework  :metal

Discovery  :metal :metal

Human after all  :rollin

Random access memories  :heart

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
lol aw man, I like Human After All. I think it's a solid album that did not live up to the first two albums. Robot Rock and Television Rules The Nation are classic DP songs

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 09:11:23 AM »
bump.

RIP

new video saying goodbye.
Random Access Memories still remains 1 of the best records of the 21st Century.

https://etcanada.com/news/749561/daft-punk-call-it-quits-with-retirement-announcement/?fbclid=IwAR0V0Pb4Fo24vip9c_cUiyEf58KW028-4OjGm7jYatlP-Giogn56FppzT3Y

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
bump.

RIP

new video saying goodbye.
Random Access Memories still remains 1 of the best records of the 21st Century.

https://etcanada.com/news/749561/daft-punk-call-it-quits-with-retirement-announcement/?fbclid=IwAR0V0Pb4Fo24vip9c_cUiyEf58KW028-4OjGm7jYatlP-Giogn56FppzT3Y

They also shared a video titled "Epilogue" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDX6wNfjqc

A very sad day, and news I did not want to wake up to this morning. I saw "Tron 3" trending on Twitter and had no idea why, but then I saw the article by Variety and was floored. I spun their debut album earlier and I will probably listen to each of their albums throughout the week (with Discovery tomorrow).
Homework is such a unique album, quite a bit different than what would come, but undeniably Daft Punk in sound. Some of the tracks can be a bit hard to listen to, but I think the response is what they're going for with their sounds, and it's very moving (whether or you are moved positively or negatively). They definitely made a statement with that album, but I would say that things got better as they went along.

With regards to scoring Tron 3, if Daft Punk won't be around to do it, I had the idea that Mark Mothersbaugh could (the composer for Thor Ragnarok), though this even assumes that Disney will even want to do the movie anymore anyway.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
I like the score for TENET so i'd choose either Hans Zimmer or Ludwig Göransson.