Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road - 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes  (Read 9831 times)

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road - 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
I really have hard time wrapping my head around why everyone thinks this glorified B-movie is the game-changer action flick of the new millennium.

I think it's because the film is a shameless, glorified b-movie that is just 2 hours of non-stop action that people find it so enjoyable.  Most action films these days are trying too hard to imitate the Dark Knight style of action film  with brooding, melancholic emo protagonists and a forced sense of "realism" that tends to suck out all the fun of an action film.  Then on the flip side, you have films like that the Michael Bay Transformers that are just brainless CGI fests with no heart or grit whatsoever that, combined with the lack of practical effects, just don't even feel like reality, and more like a video game you can only watch.

There have been a few attempts at raw action b-movies in recent years, like Dredd or the Machete films, but those were aimed at very niche audiences and consequently did rather poorly at the box office, although they did phenomenally well on DVD/Blu-ray/Netflix.  In a world where action flicks are being inundated with fakey-fake CGI, forced character "drama" that slows the pace of the film, and a general lack of wiliness to just be fun to watch, something like this new Mad Max is a breath of fresh air.  The fact that it has managed to break into a bigger audience, which films like Dredd and Machete failed to do, is seen as a good sign that there is still a market for these sorts of films, and is encouraging to people who enjoy such movies.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:04:33 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »
....   Yeah....  I didn't like it.   :tdwn
Signature

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 11:15:19 PM »
It's refreshing to see an action movie where you can actually see what's happening. Way too many modern action movies revert back to the lowest common denominator, fast cuts, handheld camera and you can't really see what's happening. It's a gripe I even have with parts of Batman Begins. As great of a movie as it is, some of the action scenes are not that great. But Nolan did improve more and more as he went on.

But yeah, really nice with a clean action movie where everything is visible.

Offline adace

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 02:38:56 AM »
Besides the phenomenal action sequences and story, this film made me realize just how beautiful a desert can be. The director absolutely nailed the cinematography.

Fantastic film, can't wait to play the game version!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 10:45:37 PM »
Just got back from watching the movie (in 3D) and man was that cool! Such action! I can't imagine the planning involved to pull off just one of those sequences.....much less multiple ones over and over!

This sums it up for me as well:

Besides the phenomenal action sequences and story, this film made me realize just how beautiful a desert can be. The director absolutely nailed the cinematography.

It really was such a 'pretty' film despite being told in a desert environment. I liked how the theme of the story and Max's character were in the same vein as the original movies. A very reluctant hero that allows what's left of his humanity to override his impulse to "F" everyone and take care of himself.

Anyway....I wasn't let down by any means and am glad I saw that in the theater.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »
I can't really decide whether I liked this. My friends and I spent hours laughing at all the flaws and ridiculous stuff, yet we all agreed it was enjoyable as hell. What a strange movie...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 01:53:00 AM »
My general feeling is :

" If I enjoy a film and it entertains me - i don't give a rats arse about the bloopers and plot holes ".

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »
HO.Ly shit. This film is just insane. I loved every second of it. I'm so glad they didn't reboot and remake it to get it up to date with the new generation demand, and that George Miller came back and brought back that weird, dystopian fantasy feel like the original films. This film is just glorious!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
I really don't get all the hype, in fact, I've never been so puzzled by the success of any other movie, ever. In my opinion, it was flat-out tiresome and tedious, with monotonous, chaotic, non-stop over the top action. The characters were blank, uninteresting and unrelatable. The whole thing was a chore to get through, I don't remember ever checking my watch so often in the theater. I can see why many people might love it, but this universal, exaggerated praise is beyond me. At one point during the film, I started thinking about the box office bomb Dredd (2012) and how it runs circles around Mad Max in almost every aspect. It has redeeming qualities, the setting and the dystopian mythology are fascinating, but, even as a fan of the action genre, I really have hard time wrapping my head around why everyone thinks this glorified B-movie is the game-changer action flick of the new millennium.

Although I enjoyed watching the movie, I agree with a lot of this, especially the last sentence. It was well-made and I did think it was pretty, as others said (the storm was so cool). I did like the deeper "message" as well as a lot of the gratuitous, brainless fun (that guitar player, omg :lol), but I really don't see what the big deal is. It's really just another action movie. The characters are shallow and mostly unimpressive. Furiosa is cool, but meh. Max himself is nothing special, and he's supposed to be the lead!
Lots of people are calling it a feminist film (I think it's hilarious how "men's rights" people are up in arms about it), and though it does have some of those elements, the fact that half of the female characters in the movie are (a) half-naked and (b) utterly useless makes me call bullshit on that. It was full of cliches and moments that made me roll my eyes (that whole half-assed "romance" between redhead and white dude- grooooan), and I was at times wanting to look at the time as well. I think if you just look at it as a fun action movie it's cool, but yeah, why everybody is drooling all over it I have NO idea.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »
Ok, so Mad Max may be the lead character but the story has never been about him. Never. Even though his name is in the title. We view other peoples stories and problems through his eyes. He is a wanderer who ends up helping others. It has been like that through now all four films.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
Ya, I always felt it was a throwback to the same style of storytelling as Kung Fu or the Lone Ranger.   The main character exists, but the real main characters in each story are just whoever he happens to be rescuing that week.   The title character is just a McGuffin. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
I think if you just look at it as a fun action movie it's cool, but yeah, why everybody is drooling all over it I have NO idea.

For me it's the lack of CGI (other than the storm scene) and all the live action stunts. I like the feel of the movie since it's primarily live action stunts and blow em ups.....not the massively over produced CGI that has overtaken movies the past few years.

Sure, it's a simple story....there really is zero to little character development.....and that's what I like about it. It's a point A to point B movie that just stick to that....no frilly side crap....just live action stunts and that's that.

I thought the Max character was nailed head on....stuck to the old school mantra of reluctant hero....really just being a 'hero' because whomever he's saving or helping just happens to be because he's really just saving his a$$.

I don't know that I'm 'drooling' over the movie per say....it was just a refreshing break from the latest fad of computer enhanced imagery.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
I think if you just look at it as a fun action movie it's cool, but yeah, why everybody is drooling all over it I have NO idea.

For me it's the lack of CGI (other than the storm scene) and all the live action stunts. I like the feel of the movie since it's primarily live action stunts and blow em ups.....not the massively over produced CGI that has overtaken movies the past few years.

This is a big one for me, and I see it cited by many who enjoyed the movie.  Whether you are consciously aware of it or not, your brain knows when it's watching something that is CGI vs something that was actually physically filmed, no matter how good the computer graphics.  Watching something with real vehicles, real pyro, real stuntmen, etc., makes the movie feel far more authentic and immersive then one crammed with a bunch of CGI, and it also makes it easier to overlook when they had to use CGI, such as in the tornado scene. 

As for Mad Max not really being the main character, as others have said, that's par for the course for the series.  He's not the man character for the story; rather, he is a storytelling vehicle through which we, the audience, observe this post-apocalyptic world.  Furiosa is the real main character, the one with the story and a character arc.   This is another parallel I see between this new Mad Max and the 2012 Judge Dredd.  Judge Dredd didn't have any character development either; he was just our eyes into the world of MegaCity One.  It was Anderson, the rookie Dredd took under his wing, who was the character with an arc to follow and a story to be told.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »
Damned good movie. The world was masterfully crafted, is gorgeous and everything about this movie has attitude. This will be a must own for me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:13 AM »
Hmm the trailer did nothing for me but seeing the positive reaction the movie got I might have to see it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:14:03 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
I saw this movie with a friend tonight.

Phenomenal action scenes, especially if that was mostly achieved with stunts and practical effects. They kind of blew their load on the first big chase scene though. The ones after that were still very good, but the finale was far from the climax.

Visually stunning, choreographed brilliantly.

A lot of cringeworthy acting and dialogue.

Really quite shittily done characterisation. I didn't learn who these characters were from the action. There was barely anything to learn about them.

The thing that drove it into the ground for me were the two character turns in the middle of the movie that came out of thin air. Mad Max is about to drive away and leave the girls to either die or go back into sex slavery, doesn't give the slightest shit. He only takes them at Furiosa's insistence, who he needs. Two seconds later, he's unshakably on their side and risking his ass for their lives for the rest of the movie, with no explanation or motivation to suddenly do a complete about-turn (other than the previously hinted "oh, there's a girl in his head haunting him for not saving her/others", though that didn't stop him showing them absolutely no regard ten seconds ago). Same goes, in fact even more so, for the suicidally indoctrinated nutter who then, for the minutest of reasons, sides with the good guys he was just prepared to murder and massacres his old mates from then on.

Also, as much as the guitar guy was fun, the director was waaaay over obsessed with him. It was like he thought he was onto something brilliant with that guy, and was throwing him in front of the camera as much as he possibly could. When the guitar bungees right into the screen and hovers for like five seconds at the end, I was like, I GET IT, THAT DELIGHTFULLY CORNY EXTREMELY MINOR CHARACTER IS A STROKE OF GENIUS, NOW STOP OVERSELLING IT.

Lots of people are calling it a feminist film (I think it's hilarious how "men's rights" people are up in arms about it), and though it does have some of those elements, the fact that half of the female characters in the movie are (a) half-naked and (b) utterly useless makes me call bullshit on that.
I'd vaguely read something about it being feminist and MRAs hating it before seeing it. I would never have noticed anything if I hadn't, I doubt, but I could see how people could read that stuff into it. The plot is women fleeing male-dominated society (with every reason to in the context of the film, mind you) which, they point out, has "killed the world". Every man I can recall was either a mutant, a psychotic brute, or animalistic, and every woman I can recall wasn't. (Dunno how much that lines up with the earlier films and the general universe though, I saw the first movies so long ago, I don't remember them). Hell, I even couldn't help but notice that Max's dialog, that of the male 'hero', was just wordless, almost ape-like grunting on tons of occasions, and thought, "ha, that would play right into the hands of someone convinced the movie was anti-men".

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
$300m on a $150m budget so it's not a flop :)

It's opening in the far east this weekend and that usually pushes the numbers up.

I've not seen it yet but I expect more will be made.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
Kotowboy, drop whatever you're doing and go see it stat! It's just not a great action movie....it's a great piece of cinema. It represents everything that movie making should be. I will be seeing it my third time this evening :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
Nowhere is showing it near me but I will check regardless :p

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »
even better the second time.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »
I finally saw this.   It was pretty cool, but from the reviews I was kindof expecting a non-stop 2 hour chase scene.   There were a few slower parts.    But it was really well done. 

I'll echo the sentiments that seeing REAL SFX on the screen is extremely refreshing.   I wouldn't mind seeing it again to see if hits me more the second time.   I was somewhat expecting "The Second Coming of The Matrix" and it didn't quite give me that level of thrill ride....but it was really good.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »
I haven't visited Maddox's site in a while, saw his review on Mad Max which is sorta how I felt when I came home after I first saw it lol
https://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=mad_max_hell_yeah
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
I recently signed up a premium subscription to Spotify and noticed the soundtrack for Fury Road on there, listened to it and got super pumped again and watched the movie a couple of times. I had bought the bluray during thanksgiving but didn't get a chance to dive into all the material, listening to the soundtrack made me watch the movie again and I think I love it even more than I did the first time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »
Fury Road was so damn good.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
And the soundtrack is amazing. "Storm Is Coming" especially, that I can recall, is just so epic and really pumps you up.

Online faizoff

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
Yea my favorite tracks are - The Rig, Storm Is Coming, Brothers In Arms, Immortan's Citadel (from 5:47 - 7:00  is the part where you have some serious headbanging orchestral riffs)
Overall an amazing soundtrack which I think is what makes the movie even more kickass.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 05:15:35 AM »
More than anything else, this movie confirmed my dislike for action films. I can't focus when shit is happening at a thousand miles a minute for 2 hours. My mind starts to wander. It's boring.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online faizoff

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »
As far as action movies go, this movie is probably the slowest shown action that I can recall. If you compare it to say the Tranformers movie, you can't make out any stuff that's happening there. In Fury Road all the action is very easy to process. I don't think I've ever seen any better.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 09:59:02 AM »
A friend of a friend said this was his favorite movie of the year, and to be honest I had totally forgotten about it up until then because it was really nothing special IMO. Fun, but best of the year? Bitch please.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 10:08:05 AM »
It would probably make my top 5, but not movie of the year.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2015, 11:37:26 AM »
It's at #3 this year for me, but then I still have a few movies I haven't seen yet that I hope will trump it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
I think this is my movie of the year. I'll have to rummage through what all I've seen so far but quite sure nothing else apart from Star Wars gave me this reaction.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
For whatever reason, most of my yearly favorites are always indie films. Last year my favorite was Whiplash, with Birdman and Nightcrawler rounding out the top 3. Drive was my favorite the year it came out (2011?). In most cases the blockbusters don't tend to stick with me more than "I enjoyed that, what a fun film" that I feel coming out of the cinema, but this year I would place both Star Wars and Mad Max in my top5, with 3 "smaller" films.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
To say I HATED this movie doesn't quite sum it up. Awful, horrible, unwatchable. Not trolling, just being honest.
It blows my mind how many of you loved this movie.
Tomatoes are rotten for a reason.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi