Author Topic: The band wants to hear from YOU: send a message to DT for their 30th anniversary  (Read 144951 times)

Offline Agalsed

You guys have provided me with so much joy, inspiration, headbanging, and fun; I can't imagine what I would do without your music. Dream Theater is far and away my favorite band of all time--it's not even remotely close. I am so thankful that you guys are around, and I can't wait for the 40th anniversary!

Offline rovel07

• Life's true intent needs patience
To John (Petrucci and Myung), Jordan, Mike, James, and all the former members of DT, thanks for all !! Your music has been very important in my life, specially in the last few years, thanks again and congratulations on your 30th anniversary!! DT FOREVER :metal

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
For all! Thanks all the shows in Argentina, the Meet & Greet and the Live At Luna Park! And thanks in advance for The Astonishing! I cannot wait anymore to hear!

Happy end of 2015 and better beginning of 2016!

Offline GedGeddNGeddy

• The truth is still out there
Happy 30th, Dream Theater. I've always appreciated how you guys never slack on releasing quality music, ever since I was introduced with "Awake." Keep up the good work, guys, and here's to many more years and great albums!
"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubix cube, man, talkin' 'bout all blue-red, man, talkin' 'bout dang ol' get one side done, dang ol' messed up the other side."
- Boomhauer

Offline keksinaattori

For 6months i´ve been writing this, proofreading, deleting and trying again. Keep it simple is propably the correct way. Thank you for everything, sums it up. Thank you for these past 9 years you´ve been in my life.  It is enough. Happy holiday wishes from finland, hope to see you soon :)

I´m trying to add few pictures of fan art i have done, no photoshop used, this one is real canadianbuilt car. Hopefully it is enough praise and explains a bit how huge part of my everyday life you guys are.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

The .FLAC files on HDtTracks.com are fantastic! Thanks for caring about sound quality.

Offline cfmoran13

Congratulations on 30 years of music!  I've been along for the ride since '92 when I first saw the video for "Pull Me Under" on MTV's Headbanger's Ball.  Since then, I've been a first-day buyer of everything you've put out, seen you guys 23 times and had the pleasure to meet a few of you a couple times.

Thanks for all the music and memories!  Looking forward to many more years of the same.

Offline FlashCE

Thank you for changing my life in 2004 when I heard Train of Thought as a 15 year old for the first time. The Astonishing made me feel like that 15 year old again!

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Really late here, but here is my input :

Hi from France, from a boy who became a man with DT on his side since SFAM.
Thank you for relentlessly giving us so much through your hard work, you are friends, inspiration and a cheering force.
Thanks for showing us that beautiful and epic still exists in this hard world.

I'll never be a rock star nor even a pro artist, but when I'm listening to you, I feel like touching the stars.

I hope for another 30 years with you :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline The Fink

Congratulations on an Astonishing 30 years. Your new record is exactly that. Astonishing!

Offline Disciple_Kickstand

Hello from Fort St. John BC Canada.  Thanks for the last 12 years of entertainment and inspiration.  I've been blessed to see you guys preform twice in western Canada, once during your first progressive nation tour in Calgary Albert's, and once on the adtoe tour in Vancouver BC.  Both shows I had to drive upwards if 14hrs to attend, but both are forever etched in my mind as wonderful experiences, especially the Vancouver show.  Congrats on the Astonishing, it is a great album and one heck of an undertaking for you guys.  Here's to a long and fruitful future for my favorite band, cheers.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
Is there any possibility of having a huge band reunion???

Would make for an awesome live show.... 3 keyboard players, 2 drummers & 2 singers extra.... Like when they did the double stage with Queensryche?

And the 15th anniversary for the WDADU show (Which i have on CD by the way... awesome performance)

Congrats on a great achievement... Saw you guys in London Feb19th.... Astonishing show
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline smegolas

In the March 1994 edition of Guitar for the Practicing Musician, Take the Time was transcribed.  This was my introduction to Dream Theater.  Sure I’d heard Pull Me Under on the radio, and I thought it was cool, but I don’t think I even knew the band’s name.  That all changed when I read the Performance Notes section which described, with glowing praise, this amazing new band and their stunning technical achievements.  In all my years of reading GFTPM, I don’t recall the details of any other song description.  But I remember that one.  After reading it, there was no question that I was going downtown the following day to buy the CD.  The rest, as they say, is history.

Images and Words quickly became one of my favourite albums ever.  It was a time when many of my old favourite bands from the 80s were dying off, and grunge was starting to take over the airwaves.  DT pretty much got me through the 90s musically.  When Scenes from a Memory was released in 1999, it blew my mind.  I hadn’t had too much experience with concept albums up until that point, and this one just floored me.  The song Spirit Carries On became somewhat of a personal anthem for me. 

That was a long time ago.  In the subsequent years I never quite attained the same enthusiasm for any music as I had for those albums.  I chalked it up to the loss of my youthful exuberance and assumed that, while I love lots of different music, my days of finding a new “best album ever” were over.   When the Astonishing was released earlier this year, I didn’t even buy it right away.  But when I did, I was intrigued.  I found that I could not stop listening.  This is what I had been waiting for!  The concept is cool, yes.  But the music is fantastic.  I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to avoid over-listening.  When I am not listening, I find various songs or phrases floating through my head.  That has not happened to me in a long time. 

Gentlemen, I commend and thank you.  You have truly provided me with the gift of music throughout the majority of my life.  To see that you can still be at your best after 30 years is inspiring.

Thanks so much.

PS - please come to Vancouver more often! ;-)

Offline jeep128

just want to thanks the band in general. Thank for 30 years of the greatest art , music.

thanks you for you inspiration, your music, and your courage.

what a pleasure to have witness and to be a part of this amazing journey DT.

keep rocking the world! And of course life without music is meaningless

....my music player , my private paradise (8)

Offline bereanjc

Congratulations on reaching 30 years!  I went to my first show at the Taft Theater in Cincinnati this past April and really enjoyed the experience.  Thank you for all the great music!  It is a huge inspiration to me. 

Offline Jim Gatti

Hey, so i wanted to contribute some guitar lesson videos to the forum. This is the intro riff to our new world exactly the way petrucci plays it if anyone is curious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP5yVIynDCk

if you have a request for a riff, or solo lmk. the solos will take longer to transcribe since they're John petrucci solos!

I have the first solo down for this song so lmk if you want me to break it down in youtube video :D

-Jim

Offline Bill

I'm 56 years of age, a lifelong music fan. Six months ago I stumbled across you guys for the first time and you've given me so much joy. My favourite band of all time was Jethro Tull for 40 years! They are now in second spot. Been gradually discovering and really getting into each of your albums one by one. I'm about half way through. Until Jan 16, I'd never heard of Dream Theater or Pull me Under. It was The Astonishing I heard first. I was too late to get a ticket for the Palladium shows in London (I live in Scotland) but hope to catch you next time around. You've also given my own music making a new lease of life, inspiring some new ideas and getting me out of a rut.

Congratulations, and I hope you keep going for another 30!

SebastianPratesi

I'm 56 years of age, a lifelong music fan. Six months ago I stumbled across you guys for the first time and you've given me so much joy. My favourite band of all time was Jethro Tull for 40 years!
Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but I'm honestly curious: what was it like being a teenager in the '70s? I grew up in the 2000s, reading all these magazines especially praising the '60s and '70s musicwise. Were all the classic bands -Jethro Tull, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Ramones, Zeppelin, etc.- actually popular amongst teenagers? Were they getting the recognition you read about now, or was history re-written afterwards?

Also, how did you become a fan of Tull? It was around the time of the Songs From The Wood album, right? Did you get to see them live? It must have been amazing.

Offline Bill

I'm 56 years of age, a lifelong music fan. Six months ago I stumbled across you guys for the first time and you've given me so much joy. My favourite band of all time was Jethro Tull for 40 years!
Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but I'm honestly curious: what was it like being a teenager in the '70s? I grew up in the 2000s, reading all these magazines especially praising the '60s and '70s musicwise. Were all the classic bands -Jethro Tull, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Ramones, Zeppelin, etc.- actually popular amongst teenagers? Were they getting the recognition you read about now, or was history re-written afterwards?

Also, how did you become a fan of Tull? It was around the time of the Songs From The Wood album, right? Did you get to see them live? It must have been amazing.

Those bands were certainly popular amongst teenagers, routinely playing in front of huge audiences full of young people. I was brought up in a rather nice town in the south of England and at weekends we would go up to London to see bands. My first gig ever wasn’t until I was 17 – and it was Jethro Tull at the Hammersmith Odeon, promoting their new album, Songs from the Wood. I went with two class mates, and we still see each other to this day. I got into Tull when I borrowed from my friend a commercially issued pre-recorded cassette tape in 1976 of the then current album Too Old to Rock and Roll. I remember listening to it in my bedroom – it was Ian Anderson’s unique voice that transfixed me first, before his flute playing. That is still one of my favourite albums to this day – hugely underrated in my opinion. I bought Songs from the Wood (on vinyl this time) from the local record shop on the day it was released in 1978.

But kids were definitely into those bands that are now regarded as “classic”. There was Pink Floyd graffiti in the toilet walls, and Zeppelin scrawled across the bike sheds at school. I wore a denim waistcoat to gigs that was covered in bands’ embroidered patches, unexplained oil stains and signed by all three of the then current Motorhead line up – Lemmy, Fast Eddie and Philthy. Hair half way down my back – and thing was, I didn’t stand out, it was the uniform of the day for kids.

That first Tull gig changed my life – I couldn’t believe the volume, although Tull were far from being the loudest. It was Ian Anderson’s humour and repartee as well as the astonishing music that got to me. By the time Stormwatch rolled into town in 1980/1 I was truly dedicated and went to four of the five sold out nights at Hammersmith Odeon.

You mention Genesis – they were huge. I went to their Knebworth open air show in the summer of 1978, and I believe maybe 150,000 others did too. When I saw Led Zep there 12 months later, they played two successive Saturday nights there. My memory is that they played for three hours with almost no self indulgence, just one great song after another.

My interest in out and out heavy music was lit by AC/DC at the Bristol Colston Hall in 1979. Sat in Row B, you could barely make Bon Scott out as the show opened and the first 15 rows were engulfed in dry ice. The sheer power was magnificent – brings hairs up on the back of my neck all these years later just thinking about it. Saw AC/DC with Bon 4 times, and just once with Brian…should have given him more of a chance, but they just didn’t seem the same band without Bon. They’ve done alright with Brian ha ha, and I wish him well in recovering his hearing.

I could go on and on. But I think it is fantastic that someone who grew up in the 2000s has interest in these bygone days. I do feel privileged to have witnessed some of it, and it is nice to share some memories.

SebastianPratesi

I could go on and on. But I think it is fantastic that someone who grew up in the 2000s has interest in these bygone days. I do feel privileged to have witnessed some of it, and it is nice to share some memories.
For sure! Those are some nice stories.

Offline Ravenfoul

Thanks for sharing, it was a good read  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I cannot say how thankful I am that Dream Theater is playing in North Carolina in a few months.  Got my tickets today, and I am overjoyed to be taking my daughters.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I cannot say how thankful I am that Dream Theater is playing in North Carolina in a few months.  Got my tickets today, and I am overjoyed to be taking my daughters.

That is awesome Hef!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Blind Faythe

Dream Theater, I would like to thank you very much for your entrance into my life. I was hooked the first time I listened to your music and I enjoy every songs you have released. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication for every single song.

Kevin James Labrie, your vocals are fantastic and you really do bring out the mood on each and every song. You allow me to feel how you feel when you sing your songs. The melancholic Disappear, the frightful A Nightmare to Remember....I can feel it all. Even if wasn't your lyric, you still brought the mood out well. Only Portnoy could tell how he truly felt during the loss of his father and even though you didn't lose your father, I absolutely adore your singing on The Best of Times. I respect and admire you for all you have done and how you fought back through food poisoning and all to make a respectable comeback. Thank you.

John Petrucci, a founder of Dream theater....man, what can I say? Words can't merely express how much you have brought to Dream Theater. All the song written by you, every single solo, riff, instrumental section, I find myself in awe at how you deliver. You have been an inspiration to my dad and he just seems so much happier. Some of your songs are my absolute favorite's as I can relate to them well and be able to express myself. You are one awesome guitarist, father and a role model.

John Myung. No matter how silent you are, I hail you as one of the greatest bass players out there. Although there are some songs in which the bass is outshined by other instruments, your work in Dream Theater is fully shown when I hear bass isolated tracks. My favorite's from you are Panic Attack, Metropolis Part 1, and The Dance of Eternity among others. As Rudess said, you have a really interesting personality and you serve as one of the longest Dream Theater members with John Petrucci. May much blessings be poured out into your life.

Jordan Rudess, the wizard! I love that wizard hat in "Live at Luna Park." You are one talented keyboardist. Your playing is so versatile and I believe you are a prodigy. You have the technicality, yet you have the melody also to mix together. You are a very funny person and extremely chill man. Thank you for all your contributions to Dream Theater and your faithfulness.

Mike Mangini, I know it was really hard waiting for the results of the audition, but you are now permanent drummer for Dream Theater! Drums sure have changed since you arrived at the band. I love your playing and watching the interviews and documentaries, I can tell you are one awesome dude. I saw you and all the band during your concert at the Schnitzer Hall and you guys were awesome. You have the passion and the drive to keep the band moving forward!

Thank you Dream Theater for entering into my life. Best of luck and wishes to you and I hope you live a peaceful life until the end. Thank you.

Offline 7th

30 Years!  What an incredible accomplishment, not only for music but for business, family, travel, and most of all friendship.  DT are inspiration personified.
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I only have two words for them.

Energy... Power.

Offline Jim Gatti

Hey guys just finished my latest youtube video. I'm doing a lot of shredding just like my favorite guitar player of all time John Petrucci.

I'm Improvising around the underlying theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXYhxFD4FkU

Enjoy and please subscribe!!!