Author Topic: The band wants to hear from YOU: send a message to DT for their 30th anniversary  (Read 145901 times)

Offline nikostheater

Hello and greetings from Greece!
20 years ago,i friend that we had the same love for all things Deep Purple,Whitesnake etc,told me "dude,check out a band named Dream Theater. Go buy their album "Images And Words" and i went to a record store and bought it.I was amazed from the first notes and by the end of "Take The Time" i declared that Dream Theater is my favourite band. I was a lucky soul that went to see the epic,glorious historic first ever concert of DT in Greece,in Lycabettus Theatre and well,long story short they are still my favourite band.i Even travelled to NYC to see them live when they played support for the Iron Maiden at the Madison Square Garden!
Some of the most cherished memories i have are having soundtrack the music of DT.
So thank you for all these years of great music,of changing lives through your art,of travelling around the world meeting your fans and here's to more decades of gracing our ears with marvellous music!
Happy 30th anniversary Dream Theater!

Offline madscot

30 years of magnificent music, what can I say, your music makes me headbang, sing and cry in equal amounts, keep going guys until you can no longer walk

Offline Fanis

I can't really express with words how i feel being a fan of dream theater but what i do know is that i live with you everyday! i am a musician myself and i get endless feelings from your music, i learn music from you. For me, i ve been listening to Dream theater for so long and its like i know you personally but in reality i don't, i have never saw you playing live before but i will hopefully in the next world tour.  Please continue what you do!

Offline Grisel

Dream Theater has been in my life for 16 years now... and I'm 29, so that's more than half of my life. I was listening to so many music, trying to find something that I fully liked, but I found available music in Argentina so basic... so empty. A friend of mine was dating someone; we were kids, so I went with her to this guy's house for them to hang out a bit, like a chaperone. He was listening to the just released Scenes From A Memory album; it blew my mind.
I remember being at home, headphones on, listening to this amazing album. The chills that I felt when I listened to the last "open your eyes, Nicholas". That was it. I was drowned into this Dream Theater ocean and never left.

16 years later, having seen them perform live 9 times, having tattooed my back with the Majesty logo and gathered a crazy amount of CDs, DVDs and other collectibles; I'm still here in the same vortex, not having enough of this band.

They get into my brains and make me think things twice, make me see the world, people, situations and life in a way I may have never been able to without them. I've grown so much thanks to Dream Theater; I've been down and they've brought me up. I've accepted situations in my life, I now see death and family so differently...

Can't get enough. Thanks for the magic, thanks for the mind widening, thanks for the music, thanks for the life.

Click to see full Facebook DT album!
Wanna see how crazy am I about Dream Theater? Check here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cool34231a

Dream Theater, the band who changed my music taste. I THANK YOU.
It would be pretty cool if DT let fans make solos for their next album  ::)

Offline inina

I was born in 1989. Since I was born I lived with my parents and my 4 uncles. 3 of them really love rock music in that era and always playing them loudly. Since they play it anytime and super-loud, my little self can't help but influenced to listen to it everyday. That's why since at very early age I was already 'contaminated' by Dream Theater. Ever since I was 3 I was hooked with that "light to dark dark to light light to dark dark to light" of Surrounded. I hummed the melody of Ytse Jam. I 'sang' the chorus of Pull Me Under (in a broken English of course). Several years later my uncles and I began to watch Mike Portnoy's drum clinic video and Dream Theater live videos. This added to my enthusiasm towards Dream Theater after watching their crazy skills on stage and John Myung's fabulous hair. It also grew the interest of playing music instruments in me.
As I grow older I began to understand Dream Theater's music and love them even more. I listened to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence almost everyday during my junior high school life. I had a crush on John Petrucci. I still admired John Myung's majestic hair. During my high school life I re-discovered all the old albums and listen to them again, and finally completely understand and enjoy the music that I listened to long time ago. I cried when Mike Portnoy quit in 2010 since he is the reason why I started playing drums.
My no.1 wishlist which I dream of since I was a teenager is to watch Dream Theater performing in my country, Indonesia. When they finally came for the first time in Indonesia in 2012 I was already grown up and very happy that my dream and day united (ha ha). I almost shed a tear when they finally performed in front of my very eyes. I scream and singalong (the lyrics and even the instrumentals) out loud. When they came back last year I also watched them and still feeling surreal as ever.
So thank you Dream Theater for being the soundtrack of, pretty much my whole life. Though ups and downs, good albums and not (being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything, sorry), the invasion of any other music genres in my life, you are still my no.1 band forever. I hope you stay together for a very long time and keep producing a very high quality music as ever. And please make Indonesia as a fixed country for every Asian tour! I'm very happy that you visit Indonesia for 2 consecutive tours, but too bad that Metropolis Pt.1 is not in the set list, since it is my favorite song. I hope you'll put in it the set list on your next visit!  ;)

Offline lhfu

30 years bringing motivation and joy to my life ! I'm 21 years collecting Dream Theater stuff and have a tatoo from Majesty simbol!
Beeing fan of Dream Theater is something that is part of my and I'll always be!
Thank you for exist!

Offline nskubes

My Name is Nic Kubes and I am A 14 Year old drummer. Dream Theaters music has not only impacted me musically, but also has made me a better person. Your Music sets me apart and helps define who I am, I have always been kind of an outcast, so your music gives me inspiration for being the best person I can be while not being the most popular kid in school, Sort of like you not really being mainstream (Dream Theaters Greatest Hit ... and 21 other songs). But thats what its all about. Playing your music in bands is challenging, but thats what makes it fun, like in one of my bands, we play the Dance Of Eternity, Metropolis Pt 1, Enigma Machine and others. I had the honor of meeting Mike Mangini at Vics Drum Shop in Chicago. It was an unbelievable experience that I will never forget. Thank you for doing what you do and inspiring so many like me. Thank you for 30 years, and I'll see you on the next tour.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nic-Kubes/426899227376298
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyFjXbPHV8

Offline phooliver

About 7 years ago, my father bought 'Awake'. I was 8 at the time, but I LOVED the whole thing. Dream Theater has been part of my life since then. Dream Theater is kind of the 'soundtrack' of my life. When I listen to Dream Theater, I can relate their songs with many things that happened in my life. Dream Theater has been with me on my happy and sad moments, at my best and worst memories. I have no words to describe how Dream Theater has changed my life. Thanks for all of those moments, emotions and the best of music.
      All the best,
                    Pedro (your #1 fan)!

Offline DreamGirl

This is going to be such a love letter but after all these years you really deserve it.  :heart

In the 90's I was such a teenage girl when I heard Another Day for the first time. I fell in love with the music immediately. 20 years ago... Dream Theater has been with me in all turning points of my life ever since. Now I'm 32, and falling in love with Dream Theater deeper and deeper every day.

Your music has been there for me for better, for worse; in sorrow and pain; in love and hate; in life and death. It's the unconditional soundtrack of my daily life. Always in my heart.

I love you James, John, John, Jordan and Mike. 
I also love you Mike, Derek, Kevin and Charlie. 
Thank you for outstanding music and wise lyrics.
Thank you for the three awesome shows in Helsinki (2009, 2012, 2015).
Thank you for everything you have given me.
There are no words to describe how much I love you.  :heart
Hope to see you soon again.

"I walk beside you
Wherever you are
Whatever it takes
No matter how far"

Happy 30th anniversary. Hope to spend the 60th anniversary too!

Most of all, I love you James LaBrie!!!  :heart  :-* You're the hottest of the hottest!  ;)

Now it's all said and done.  :smiley:
"Life is short, so learn from your mistakes
And stand behind the choices that you make
Face each day with both eyes open wide
And try to give, don't keep it all inside"

Offline hadifa

The band have asked for a thread for YOU to send them your personal messages for their 30th anniversary.

Dream Theater is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.  Our fans are very special to us!  What message would you like to give the band on this majestic anniversary? Head over to the Dream Theater Forum and leave your anniversary message for the band, and thanks.
1st heard about you guys in 2005 during my first year of music college in Edinburgh, was never into or against metal, just never heard it. One day my guitar instructor presents the 3 pieces i had to learn for my performance test, sunshine of your love, hey joe and pull me under. I worked my but off for pull me under and managed to pull it off :) and since then i cant stop listening to you guys. I find the tempo changes, wild riffs and complete Fuck off to general music mainstream which engages me the most, thank you for opening my eyes

Offline helenefons

Congratulations with the anniversary!

I started listening to you right about when Octavarium was released and haven't stopped since!
You are all very inspiring artists and the music you create is so versatile! There is a song for every possible mood, whether you're angry, sad, happy, joyous or just want some good ol'e music.
My all time favorite has to be Spirit Carries On, there is such a big message in the song which reaches out to all people regardless of nation, race or religion. It is an amazing number and proves how you are a one of a kind band.

One of my biggest moments was when I have had the honour of meeting and greeting you in Copenhagen last year. I spent weeks upon weeks until the meeting working on pencil portraits of all of you, so I could have you sign them when I finally got to meet you. I even brought a copy in case you would be willing to receive it - and you did! I was so proud. You exceeded all my imaginations, both when I discovered how kind and humble you all are and when you went to the stage afterwards and kicked a**.
My other biggest moment has to be when you allowed my husband to create a song potpourri for choir over Scenes from a Memory. I participated in the concert with it and I watched your music touch the heart of strangers who had never heard your music before, but all of them joined together in their hearts when The Spirit Carried On was sung.
To be able to be a part of such a big event, because of your music and your willingness to let music be created is one of the biggest joys of my life.

I thank you for your music and for being an awesome band who makes it possible to reach out across nations and people. That is truly amazing.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Congratulations to the greatest Rock musicians in the world.  30 years of hard work, dedication to your tough (super critical) fan base, and continued commitment to enriching folks lives is simply astounding.  It's hard to articulate how much of a profound impact you've had on my life over the last 21 years that I've been listening to you.  Suffice to say, never has a band grabbed hold of my musical soul like you have.  From my very first spin of Awake back in '94 to present day I've been captivated by your ability to write, play, and produce the most dynamic and substantial music in the world.

Music has always been a huge part of my life, in the 70's it was Zeppelin, Rainbow, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.  The 80's and 90's chock full of  :metal :metal :metal.  But once I was exposed to Dream Theater I felt complete.  Like all my favorite bands best aspects were all rolled into one.  I remember listening to that initial spin of Awake and just being dumbfounded thinking..."Hey...they sound like These guys, or this band...or that one.  Again, the best features of other bands I'd loved all put into one nice basket.   

One of the most amazing things about DT's 30th is that you guys are still so creative and performing at the highest level.  Let's face it, we've seen 30 year old acts that should probably call it a day   :lol But you guys seem like you're just getting warmed up for the next chapter in the Dream Theater chronicles.  Thanks again for the 10+ awesome shows I've been honored to attend and all the memories and experiences you've added to my life.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:21:12 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline awsda

The first time i heard Dream Theater was hearing The Epic song "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence", i was amazed by the melody, lyrics and atmosphere that the song provided, quickly my love for the band kept growing more and more, when i realised, i heared all the band's impeccable discography and kept following the next releases always with excitement.
My favorite band is completing 30 years now, and even not being a good writer (as you can see), i needed to pay my tribute because every single day i hear your songs, very few bands and musicians have the capacity to involve the fans like you guys do and you have songs to be listened at every moment of life. i hope this 30 years commemoration to be the one of a lot more to come, i will always be a Dream Theater fan, my love for the band will never die and so do the legacy you made in music.

P.S. I'm brazilian, that's why my english is a little "bad" 

Offline JoeZoot

In the fall of 1993 I bought my first issue of Modern Drummer (I had just bought my first drumset a few months earlier), it was the September issue, with Max Roach on the cover, and a nice interview with one Mike Portnoy. I read the interview and liked it, and the big drumset of course, I was seventeen.
About six months later I read a review of Awake in the local newspaper. I remembered the band, and the drummer with the big setup, so I just went out and bought the cd, without ever hearing a note.
Before that, my favourite band had been Aerosmith, but when I pressed play, and that fill hit me...

It took a few years before I had any friends that liked DT, so I didn't see them live until the FII tour, but I've seen almost every show they've played in Finland since then, and a few times in Sweden when they didn't come here for a few tours.

Mikael, Porvoo, Finland

Offline Sym_MkV

Congrats on 30 guys!!!
Would love to see you guys in concert. (Virginia Beach)
DC is a bitch to get to for anyone who has ever had to drive up I95 can tell you. Hoping one day that you all can make it to at least Richmond, Va if Virginia Beach is too small a venue.

Offline chrysophylax

I will always be glad that Dream Theater became a part of my life... From the first time I listened to you guys ("Forsaken") I felt like my world had changed and fell in love with your music... a love that keeps going until today. I even saw you guys from the first row at the RockHarz festival this year and I was soooo thrilled for it and enjoyed every minute of it  ;D

I also  wanted to thank you. I hope you will get a chance to read this message, because I really want to say thank you for making the music that saves me when times get tough... Almost a year ago I got hospitalized and diagnosed with a chronic incurable disease, and while I was at the hospital I listened to "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" every night. It kept me sane when it felt like my life was falling apart, so I thank you deeply for it. I wouldn't be myself without Dream Theater, and I hope I will come along for the ride for many years still :)

Offline V_R11

I'm a Finnish fan of young age, barely 18. Four years ago a friend of mine introduced me to this band with a song from the Scenes From a Memory - album. The rest is, as they say, history. I was hooked immediately.
Dream Theater might not be a typical favorite band for a teenage girl, but it is mine and I'm proud of it. There's not another band around that amazes me quite like DT does, with every album. There's so much talent I can't even comprehend it. I think at some point each member of the band has made me want to master their instrument. As a guitarist I gotta say Mr.Petrucci is pretty much the whole reason I ever bought an electric guitar.
There's a Dream Theater song for pretty much every mood and situation, and your songs have helped me through some pretty rough stuff. I saw you live for the first time two weeks ago in Helsinki and was not far away from crying when you guys came on stage. It was such an amazing night and I certainly hope it wasn't my last time seeing you perform. I also hope I'll get to meet you all some day.

I love you James, John, John, Mike and Jordan. Thanks for all the hard work and everything you give us with your music. Wishing for many more wonderful years to come!
Seasons change and so can I

Offline amatteroflight

• Bird photographer
Hi guys
In my late teens and twenties, while still playing guitar in a metal band, I knew of a band called Dream Theater. I used to also always read John Petrucci's column in Guitar World that I religiously bought at newsagents in Sydney, Australia.
However, it was my loss that I never even listened to you guys until mid-2009!

I am guilty of wasting life not listening to your incredible music for so many decades. While I can't turn the clock back, I can go on and keep your music close to my heart and wish that now the final line-up has been made with Mike Mangini, that you will keep making the soulful, tasteful, articulate and most wonderful compositions I have ever heard from a group of musicians.

Congratulations for this incredible milestone guys!

Thank you for all the great music, the tears of joy as listen to every note and awesome time signature change in your masterpieces. There is only one Dream Theater and you have become a huge part of my life.

For that I thank you and hope to hear your musical wizardry until the day we all retire! God bless you all and rock on fellas!   

Best wishes from Sydney, Australia!

Leave footprints only….

Offline mmazzei

My experience with Dream Theater began in 1992, at that time I was 19 and was in the Brazilian army, this time I listened to songs of Megadeth, Skid Row, Angra, Pantera, and some grunge bands from Seattle as Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc
That same year a friend who was also a musician put to play in your car touches the tapes a tape and told me: "You have to hear it, it will be something you will never forget" "then started running A Change Of Seasons!
Wow! My first impression was that it was several songs and one, but right away I could see the extreme technical coupled with the weight and the melody all very harmonious, something that had never ever heard before in other bands.
From that day began for me a frantic search for everything that represents the Dream Theater, are already numerous, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray's, T-shirts, 06 live Show's (two in Argentina, two in Rio de Janeiro, two in São Paulo) and two tattoos as eternal tributes to the band!
I can state with heart and soul that Dream Theater is one of my senses and life purposes! My love for the band is such that I named one of my 04 children, under the name of Nicholas, because of the masterpiece Scenes From Memory, ending you do and will always be part of my life!
Thank you for so much joy!
Long live Dream Theater!
Marcio Mazzei

Offline amechudo

It was 1998, I was a 14 year old and I was still trying to figure out several things in my life and giving shape to my personality. I live in a South American country, Colombia, a place were latin music is the norm and music diversity is scarce. Going through my adolescence I was trying to find out where to fit, and I did not feel that I fitted with the people around me.

I started to learn to play guitar and began to take a few steps towards what people here call "Metallica Music" (local people use the word ‘Metallica' not for the band but to refer to the whole Metal Genre). My next door neighbor was a drummer in a famous band from my town, and we used to talk from time to time. One day he passed by, and hearing me trying to play my guitar (and sucking at it), he went inside his house, came back and told me: "Hey, great that you like to rock, here, listen to these guys, they are really good" handing me a weird CD from a band I had never hear before (I did not know many bands back then, so this was hardly a surprise). The CD he gave me was When Dream and Day Unite, and as soon as I listened to YtseJam my whole life completely changed, back then I didn’t know how much that day would mean for me.

Dream Theater has been a huge part of my life since then. It is curious how even though I got to know DT when they were a huge a established act, I still heard to all of their albums in chronological order, and I loved all of them. I heard for countless hours When Dream and Day Unite, until months later, I finally could hunt their following album, and so on... it was quite difficult to find their music here in my country. On a short trip abroad, I bought I&W on an airport, and hearing Metropolis Pt1 was a complete revelation, I didn't know that a band could sound like that!! Months later a friend of a friend had Awake, and Erotomania blew my mind. Later on I got to hear ACOS on a casette tape, when a friend handed it to me telling: "They have a 25 minutes song!" my mind could barely process it, so naive back then, it was hard for me to imagine a single song lasting for so long. I chew all this material, until a friend who worked on a University, bump into a Falling into infinity CD in the lost and found box, and finally, after more than a year, one friend gave me a nice x-mas gift, the SFAM CD along with other album of a band I did not know, he told me that the guy in the music store suggested it when he bought SFAM, the album in question was Liquid Tension Experiment 2.

After finally catching up with them in 2000, I started to wait each couple of years for their new release, and they became part of my life,. The band shaped my view in many things and they are part to blame for the kind of man I am today. I improved my english trying to understand their lyrics and interviews, and thanks to how they put their influences all over their albums, they opened the doors and showed me other bands, some of them now among my favorites, like Pink Floyd (first time I heard of them being DT DSOTM cover), Rush, Yes, King Crimson... and the list goes on. Today I hear those bands and many more, all thanks to that neighbor and to those guys from NY that created the amazing music that fit perfectly in my heart and my mind.

Even though I have lived through different "musical phases" in my life, from the heavy metal obsession (Metallica, Maiden, Sabbath) to the classic rock overdose (The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones), and of course the mighty prog rock, there has always been only one band that is always with me everywhere I go: Dream Theater. No matter my mood, the stage in which I am in my life, DT is always there, mixed with everything else. I do not want to pretend that DT is the "best" band in history (if such a thing exists), I know there are other band who are bigger, and legendary... But even though I greatly enjoy such legends as Queen, The Beatles, Metallica, AC/DC, ... There's only one favorite band for me, really close to my heart. To Mr. Petrucci, Mr. Myung, Mr. Labrie, Mr. Rudess, and Mr. Mangini... and to Mr. Moore, Mr. Portnoy, Mr. Sherininan, Mr. Dominici, Mr. Collins, and to all who in the last 30 years at some point contributed to build what DT is, there's no words to express how important it has been for me what you have done, the only words that come close are:  I LOVE YOUR MUSIC, HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY, AND THANK YOU.

Offline bubas

Hi all, newcomer here!

I am 36 years old, and I have always been a metal head ever since I remember listening music "for myself" (probably since 12?). Before that... well, I remember listening A LOT to The Beatles, thanks to my parents!

I never really got much into progressive stuff. My favorite band of all times was Metallica, but I also followed the Grunge movement of the time. I also play the guitar since those days. Truth is I've always heard of DT as the gods of progressive metal and technical playing, but never had the curiosity to listen to them (other then 'Pull Me Under').

Around 18, I've met some guitar player friends who were fond of DT and other power/progressive stuff. I've managed to pick some cool new bands with them (Angra is one of them), but once again I've missed the chance of listening to DT properly! How dumb! And I perfectly remember my friends walking around with DT's new album, "Scenes From A Memory"!!! Still, no curiosity at all to listen to them.

But destiny has its turnarounds, and when "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" got out, somehow I got drawn to it. I was mind blown, I had to hear the entire discography! I hope I am not committing any sacrilege here, but I still find that album really good, although I see "Scenes From A Memory" and "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" as THE masterpieces!

Since them my life as a music listener changed completely. Right now I spend my days searching and listening for prog music only (and not just prog metal), and got into another level of music listening, for good.

Thanks DT for the great music, for the inspiration, and for opening my mind to a whole new level of music listening! Keep up the good work.

Offline Iarund

Actually I was listening to Dream Theater my entiree life. My dad is a big fan, so I kinda grew up with this band. Back then he wouldn't have many CDs, the only ones that he had, was DT. Later on he started to earn more money, and the other bands came in too. It was the time when I became huge metal and rock fan, but at the time DT wasn't my all time favourite yet. I was listening to it mainly by chance, when I could hear dad's player. Some day I heard song that I really liked, but I forgot to ask what was it's name. I badly wanted to find it. I started with Octavarium, and back then I would just lay on my bed, listening and singing (which dad didnt really enjoy, he was constantly saying that I'm terrible at it). After few months, when I have already known entire Octavarium by heart, I checked out other albums too. Of course I loved them too. I've read a lot about guys from DT, and James LaBrie became my idol. I thought "one day I'd like to sing just like him". My singing range wasn't impressive at all, so I joined choir in order to improve.
After that I went to my first concert - it was on 5th february, Katowice, Poland. I was stunned, really loved the show. But it wasn't until next year, when I heard band on Metalhammer (Poland 2015, Katowice), that I recognised that they were playing the song, which I liked so much, because of which I started to listen DT. It was "Blind Faith" from Six Degrees! That day felt like the best in my entire life. I hope one day I'll be able to sing just like James :)

Offline juliepower

Hello! :) I just wanted to say that 10 years ago I was at your 20th anniversary tour in Oslo with my mother (I was 14 years old at that time). This year we where at your 30th anniversary tour in Tromsø and all I can say is that we are looking soo much foreward to your 40th anniversary tour :D My mother will then be 69 years old :p keep on making good music! Hugs from  Julie in Norway :)

Offline MirkovDream

I discovered Dream Theater by the end of 2005, an old friend told me the band was going to be in a concert in our city on March 2006 so he give me copies of all Dream's albums for listening them before concert, I did not put enough attention and I did not appreciate them... but they day came and I appreciated them, I loved the concert, I felt my life just begun in that moment, with the powerful drums, guitar, bass, keyboards and voice of them.  I started to love them and I start to also live, it was an awakening to life for me.  I have identified moments of my life with DT's songs... I have bought all their albums, when they present in my city, I go to their concert, I have also gone to the US to see them, also I was part of the people who cooperated on the first edition of their biography "Lifting shadows"... By coincidence, I was planning my wedding on 2014 when I realized they will be on concert in my city on my wedding day... I was "Noooo!!! I cannot believe it, I will not be in their concert because of my wedding!!!"  My now husband told me:  "We are going to marry at noon, we can go to the concert after the ceremony" (That is one of the reasons I married him)  After our wedding, we went to M&G in our wedding clothes, when we told the people that we just got married and we left our party to go with them, it was so nice, everybody congratulated us, security, fans, people of the venue.  When we arrived to meet the guys, LaBrie told us "It seems you are just left the alley" and I told him "Yes, we just got married a couple hours ago", LaBrie was so surprised, Myung wished us the best, Rudess was very sweet, Mangini smiled and also wished us the best and Petrucci told us "This is the best way to start your marriage, how many couples can say Dream Theater played on their wedding day?"  I do not know how many, but my husband and I are one of them, if not, the only one.  Dream Theater is part of my life, totally.  Love and respect  :metal

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
Few years ago, I was listening to classical music, since I was a music school student, and I also played keyboards in a rock/metal band. Beside classical, I also loved metal, but haven't actually listened to Dream Theater, I guess I was too proud to listen to a metal band influenced by classical music. Like I said, I did love metal, but classical was a whole another world for me, it was like blasphemy to ''merge'' metal with classical music. But luckily, drummer of our band was the only one listening to Dream Theater, so he kept insisting that I give DT a chance. When the self-titled album came out, he sent me Illumination Theory, so I finally said ''well, let's give it a try''. I pressed the ''play'' button, lied down, and focused on the music. By the end of the song, I concluded that it's definitely the best metal song I've ever heard, and it took me only one listening to realize that. Since that day, up until now, DT is basically the only metal band I've been listening to. My rock band started covering DT songs, as well as writing our own progressive metal songs, and many people in our town started listening to Dream Theater as well. Unfortunately, we've never been able to see DT live in our country, Serbia, but I hope you guys come here some day and make our dream come true. Cannot wait to hear the new album by the way, I'm checking all the band members' Facebook pages every day hoping for some new info :D

Cheers, Paul from Serbia
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline maunvz

I want to congratulate DT for a such a great path all over this 30 years.
I am a "young" listener because I started to like them just a year ago. When they came to Monterrey where I live.

And i want to thank you for all of your albums. His lyrics help me when I was in a glass prision.

Offline CélestineDior

It was a one sided love & hate relationship I had with Dream Theater. Because of a past I don't belong but still know of, I was unable to listen some of your songs (I still am) and a part of me always tried to run away from you guys' songs despite some of them giving me the utmost happiness.

I didn't want to know about you, your band or your songs and seriously I thought if I had the power, I'd erase all about you from at least my and some certain people's memory. Still, I had a strange attachment to and some kind of possesiveness about you guys and that really bugged me.

And not too long ago, I decided to listen every song you had. I already had my nights crying while listening to Endless Sacrifice in my bed, trying to endure the loneliness that was caused by the miles me and my boyfriend had from before, or the time how surprised we were when we noticed the beginning of Losing Time kinda described my outer appearence, or the times I listened to Beneath The Surface and just wished to let myself off from a cliff and so on..

And this summer when I finally had the courage to face your other songs, I found myself and many other things within them. I was able to let go of some harmful habits thanks to Space Dye Vest (Thank God you included it in the album) even now I take power to stand tall from it. I noticed how Solitary Shell pretty much described and About to Crash resembled my life.  I had so many sleepless nights just lying and listening to Wait for Sleep till dawn, lost myself in Another Day, felt like I too, was saved while listening to Finally Free..

The thing I want you to know is, not only your music but also the words you choose are helping us people. When I can't tell even myself what or how I feel, you were there. Yeah I still can't listen some of your songs without wanting to kill myself or bursting into tears -the guilt is mine only, of course- but putting that aside you gave me so many things. Thank you for making my life more bearable, thank you for being there. Happy 30th anniversary~

Offline Peter Griffin

On behalf of every Dream Theater fan around the world, simply, thank you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
All I gotta say is YAAAAH!!!

Love you guys. Keep putting out amazing music.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline progrockman

Thx for the great music. It's been a big part of my life in the 90s. I saw you guys live in high school on the train of thought tour and great album btw. I'm really digging d12 definitely a return to form. I'd love to hear a new release recapturing the feel and sound of my favourite pair of albums from any band I&W and Awake. Hope for many more years to come and can't wait to see what it brings.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
Congrats, way to go! 30 years, I don't think I could hold a job or a relationship that long, and a band is sort of both at the same time. Good for you. Thanks for Images and Words, Awake, Lines In The Sand, A Change of Seasons, Scenes From A Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Train of Thought.

Offline FLEEBS

Thanks for so many years of great music, guys! I've been a fan since I first heard Pull Me Under on the radio back in 1992, and I'm so glad you guys are still rockin'. Dream Theater will always be my favorite band. Here's to many more fantastic progressive metal albums!  :metal
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline KrisVonInks

Even though I don't think the band members will actually read this, and I know I've already posted to this thread, but I still think that I have not expressed my whole feeling of how DT's music affected my life, even though my last post was almost a novel...  :lol

I suffered from long term depression when I was a younger. I was like the girl from 'part two: About to Crash' from 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence', that part of the song hits unbelievably close to home. Everyday was agony. In the end, I had to drop out of school and I was like a sad sack for a year or two. Then came the time when I decided to get up, live life, and find happiness in my own way, and so I've found new life in my love for art. And Dream Theater came into my life at that time of change. Your music is like fuel to my creative fire; the style, range, depth, tone of your music just click with my artistic side. It's one of the few things that inspires me to pursue my passion and carries me forward. I've listened from 'Images and Words' all the way to the latest one and I love every single one. I can't even pick my favorite; I'm torn between 'Falling into Infinity', 'Six Degrees', and the self titled album.

Ultimately, words cannot truly describe how much your music means to me. You guys will always be my most favorite band ever. Thank you for being yourselves and being awesome!  :metal

Sincerely,

Kris