Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55161 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: 425's Roulette v. Many Bothans died to bring you this information
« Reply #490 on: July 23, 2015, 11:37:21 PM »
i'm super hyped for first impressions, i figure mine will be easily spottable or impossible to figure out, one of the two

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: July 26, 2015, 06:50:22 AM »
So it's Sunday for me, how about them first impressions? ;)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #492 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
I've been delayed a little bit by the fact that I couldn't access someone's song on the link they sent me, so I had to wait for that person to send me a new song. I'm still hoping to provide the results on Monday night, but I have actually not yet listened to the new song that person sent. Tonight I will provide first impressions.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #493 on: July 26, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »
john cage 4'33" the end what up

Offline 425

« Reply #494 on: July 26, 2015, 09:52:55 PM »
0/10 too long, try 1'33"

Here are some first impressions, since you crazy kids can't stand not having them:

"This isn't absolutely astounding, but it's a really fun little song."
"This is exactly one of the types of music that I've been looking for."
"I think I like this, but I can't be 100% sure because of how unusual it is!"
"I know I'm supposed to like this one, and there are parts that I do like, but I haven't really made sense of the whole thing... yet."
"The vocal approach on this song is really pretty. Pretty vocals, pretty music, pretty lyrics."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #495 on: July 26, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
I'm sure the second and the last one are about my tune  :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2015, 12:16:33 AM »
1 definitely isn't me. I hope 2 is me. 3 could be but I don't think it is. 4 probably isn't because my song doesn't exactly have a ton of parts, that sounds like more complex music. 5 is DEFINITELY not me holy freaking hell  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2015, 09:00:06 PM »
let's play hangman!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Offline 425

« Reply #498 on: July 27, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »
e
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2015, 09:19:22 PM »
r

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #500 on: July 27, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »
R E _ _ _ _ _

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
s
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: July 27, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »
R E S _ _ _ S

Offline 425

« Reply #503 on: July 27, 2015, 09:32:41 PM »
:lol I know what this is

My response is

:soon:
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: July 27, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
the hype machine never runs out of fuel

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: July 27, 2015, 09:48:05 PM »
Didn't know you were a RoadRunner employee  :'(

Offline 425

« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
Yeah I'm actually friends with that guy who runs the Roadrunner Facebook page.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
I guess it took a few months until he answered your friend's request.

Offline 425

« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2015, 10:35:02 PM »
Everyday in the office I'd ask him when he was going to accept that and he'd just say :soon:
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
Well, I just hope Evermind didn't send the artist I think he sent, and better not from the same album I had planned for my EP  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
i'll cry if anyone ruins my perfect ep

I know at least two artists there is literally zero chance of anyone else entering them at least

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v. Penultimate
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2015, 11:06:35 PM »
Advance warning, this is going to be another one of those rounds where everybody has almost the same score. I found that this round, maybe even more than most of the others, had a lot of songs that I would rate really similarly, songs that I liked, often quite a bit, but didn't love. There are a couple of exceptions, the main one being a song that was a clear favorite for me from the very first time I heard it. But most of the songs are really bunched up in here, and are really testing my ability to determine between two scores in particular.

So maybe not a big shakeup in the standings here, with one exception. Everybody maybe gained or lost a half point or so on everyone else. That's what happens when everyone sends me songs of a similar caliber.

Round Eight Results

Parama: Oceansize - Only Twin

This was kind of an interesting listening process for me. I’ve heard of Oceansize on this forum and I knew that they are a band that I really should like. That said, the first couple of listens to this song were tough for me. I really didn’t find a lot to like the first few times, though there were a few good aspects.

Fortunately, this song settled in a bit better for me on the third and fourth listens. A big aspect of what makes this song so challenging, I think, is the fact that it really is an aural onslaught, in which the instruments do a lot of different things in an effort to build the song’s crescendos. It’s a really complex song hiding under a veneer of simplicity, and I think there’s a good chance that I will come to like it better on listens after the fourth one. There are some good melodies here, like the vocal melody at 5:00 that is repeated again at 5:42. The song is just such an onslaught that parts of it still haven’t really fallen into place for me. The parts of this song that I do like, I really like, and I feel like the musical direction is really interesting. But these four listens just haven’t been enough time for everything to really fall into place for me.

One last weird aspect for me was how much the singer reminded me of Steven Wilson at the beginning. This really didn’t affect my liking of the song, it’s just an interesting note.

Score: 7.5

lonestar: The Deadstation - Subsistence Defined

I really didn’t know what to expect going into my first listen to this song. The band’s name and artwork are… kind of strange. I wasn’t surprised to hear a ton of metal riffing, but I was somewhat surprised at how heavy the Dream Theater influence is here. There are noticeable differences, obviously, but the influence is definitely there.

Overall, I think this is a very interesting song. It’s a heavy song with some strong melodic qualities, many of which are found in distorted vocals, which I wouldn’t have expected to like, but really did.

There a lot of aspects of this song that I find really interesting and likable. My best explanation for the relatively low score here is that this isn’t really my usual style of music. The onslaught of staccato heavy riffing and distorted vocals really work here, but it’s still not something I’m often looking for in music. I do like the song, though.

Score: 8.0

TAC: Glass Mind - Your Name in Silence

So here’s a really solid progressive metal song, one with perhaps an even more noticeable Dream Theater influence than lonestar’s submission (even bordering on an homage with the "woah, oh oh”s at the end?).

The instrumentation here is really spot on. The keyboard intro is quite nice, and the guitar work, both in terms of riffs and melodies, is quite strong. The quiet part in the second half leading into the climax of the song is really good. TAC, you might have been right in guessing that this singer is one that I would not be inclined to like, and you’re right in that he’s not my favorite because of that particular style, but for whatever reason, he feels to me like one of the less egregious examples of this style. I’m still not crazy about the vocal style, but it doesn’t bother me. Perhaps because the chorus is really, really strong melodically.

This is definitely a textbook progressive metal song, but it’s a pretty good one. I’ve never really heard of the band, but they seem to have a knack for putting together a pretty solid prog metal song.

Score: 8.0

ShadowNinja 2.0: Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles

I see that you decided to stick with the policy of sending me really weird stuff. :lol

You know, I don’t really know how these guys wound up making this type of music or how people got into this type of music, really. This was so strange to me, just from a stylistic standpoint, that I really didn’t know if I liked it or not. In fact, I’m still not 100% certain! :lol

But this song was definitely in my head all day. It’s infectiously catchy and a lot of fun, so I think I do like it. The chorus about “a very big steam-powered giraffe that smokes” is very catchy, and I have taken a liking to some of the unusual lyrical aspects about, apparently, whether a robot is capable of having feelings. I’m still not completely certain how interested I am in hearing more songs of this style, but this was a fun song and an interesting submission.

Score: 8.0 + 0.5 bonus = 8.5

kingshmegland: Dada - Star You Are

This is a really pretty little love song. It’s really nice lyrically and musically, with a memorable and emotional chorus and some touching lyrics, particularly the line from which the title comes. I think it would be hard not to like this song, really.

Perhaps my favorite thing about this song is the vocal approach. The two singers work well together to create a cohesive and emotional vocal sound, and both of them have really good voices. I think it’s really interesting that two people with pretty similar styles sang on this song, but I think it really works here. Kind of a distinguishing factor for this pretty little song.

Score: 8.0 + 0.5 bonus = 8.5

Scorpion: Steve Rothery - Morpheus

Well, here’s a really nice, pleasant instrumental song. I didn’t really expect to get a song like this in the roulette or for it to perform all too well, but this one just really works.

The highlight of this track is obviously the guitar work. I don’t know Steve Rothery’s own work all too well, but to me, the influence from David Gilmour is clear, though he certainly doesn’t sound like a copycat. The playing and the tone are definitely Gilmour-esque, though.

What I really like here is that, though this is a prog guitarist’s solo album, the emphasis here is on composition. There aren’t a ton of long, shreddy solos that show off Rothery’s technical skill; in fact, there isn’t much soloing at all. Instead, there’s just a really strong composition built around one or two really good themes. The guitar work is, of course, very strong, but so is the presence of the piano. On the whole, this is just a really nice, calm instrumental track. A pleasant experience.

Score: 8.5

Open Your Eyes311: Styx - One With Everything

Here’s a really nice, fun, groovy prog rock song. This is nice retro prog song complete with Hammond organ and everything. The instrumentation is nice and tight. I really like the big melodies played on the keyboard, especially during the instrumental sections. The singing is pretty as well; the choral effect on the choruses is really quite a lovely touch.

There’s just something about this song that makes it feel big and wide open and joyous. I really love the first chorus “… something in the atmosphere…”, it’s really pretty and happy. The second chorus doesn’t do it for me quite as much, but it still carries with it this general sense of openness and joy. Really quite a nice song and one that will inspire me to check out more of Styx’s work.

Score: 8.5

Sacul: No-Man - Back When You Were Beautiful

No-Man is a name I’ve long been familiar with as “one of those other Steven Wilson projects.” I’d never really given them much of a look, to be honest. I thought maybe they were one of the more esoteric SW projects, and so I never really bothered. That was clearly a mistake, because if this song is any indication, this might be my favorite of the sounds that SW has had. His co-collaborator’s singing brings a bit of a different feel here than is on those projects where Steven sings, but Wilson’s presence is here as well.

I really do think that, given the frame of reference I had coming in, this song can be described as a Steven Wilson ballad with a very clear, distinct other songwriting presence involved. And it’s really quite appealing to me, actually, because, though I admire Wilson’s obvious songwriting talent, I find that he is often very cold and not very relatable, at least to me. I won’t say that I find No-Man to be the warmest band I’ve ever heard, but I think the presence of the other songwriter/singer provides a bit of a counterweight to some of the coldness I’ve experienced with SW’s music in the past. His voice is SW-esque, but warmer and more personable, which I like.

I realize that this entire writeup has been about how this song compares to other songs by Steven Wilson, which is probably caused by the fact that I’m already kind of familiar with this artist, but kind of not. In any case, I really do like the song. It’s not astonishing, but it’s a very good sad little ballad. If this is any indication of No-Man, I will definitely have to give them a serious look.

Score: 8.5 + 0.5 bonus = 9.0

Big Hath: Snarky Puppy - Amour, t’es là

Why didn’t you send this on the happy round? True, I don’t really know if the lyrics are happy or not, since I don’t speak French. But even if they’re really sad you’d have gotten away with it, since, as you can tell, I didn’t look them up. Oh well, that’s in the past with the Alcest happy round submission, and this is now.

This fun, romantic (I feel like it’s romantic, though that might be because that’s how anything French sounds to me) little song is one of my favorite songs of the round. I like the instrumentation provided here. The horns and other instruments sound really good, and the drums really provide the song with a sense of motion. The singer is really good, her voice fits very well with the song, and the group vocals just add to the overall feel of the song, particularly on the very pretty chorus.

When I listen to this song, I feel like it could easily be used in a movie of some kind, in some kind of romantic montage or something. It just feels like the music to a movie scene where there’s a lot of really joyful activity going on, like the whole world is dancing. I don’t know, that’s just really what I see in my head when I hear this song. In any case, this is a really pretty, fun little song with some nice, tight instrumentation and a great vocal performance by the lead singer and the background vocalists.

Score: 9.0 + 0.5 bonus = 9.5

Evermind: Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel

This is exactly what I want to hear. This is pretty much spot on one of the types of music that I hoped find more of with this roulette.

This is an absolutely beautiful song that I fell in love with on first listen and have only liked better every time I heard it. The sparse electronic instrumentation is really beautiful and sets the scene with its beautiful sad notes. The centerpiece is Sundfør’s absolutely stunning voice. Her singing is just so excellent, beautiful and emotional. Her amazing voice works perfectly in rise and fall with the instrumentals. I love when the symphonic elements come in to back her growing intensity on the later choruses. The lyrics are also amazing, fitting perfectly with the sadness of the song as a whole.

Just… everything about this song is really fantastic. The music, the lyrics her voice. Spectacular.

Score: 9.5 + 0.5 bonus = 10.0

Natural Standings:
ShadowNinja 2.0 - 70.5
Evermind - 70.0
Scorpion - 70.0
Parama - 69.0
OpenYourEyes311 - 68.5
Sacul - 67.5
kingshmegland - 67.0
Big Hath - 66.5
lonestar - 65.5
TAC - 63.0

Adjusted Standings:
Scorpion - 64.0
Evermind - 62.0
ShadowNinja 2.0 - 62.0
Parama - 61.5
OpenYourEyes311 - 60.5
Sacul - 60.5
kingshmegland - 59.5
Big Hath - 59.0
lonestar - 58.0
TAC - 55.5

I re-added the scores from scratch to get the new scores in hopes of avoiding a situation where I committed an error several weeks ago that I've carried over until now. I'll do the same on the final score as well as just adding it on to make sure I get everything right. However, I encourage everybody to add up their own scores and let me know if there are any errors. I don't want to get anything wrong.

Round Nine: EP

I think we've mostly gone over what I expect in the EP round. There's a maximum length of 30 minutes, no more than 15 minutes of music can be from any one artist, etc. Your submission will graded both on the quality of the songs and the quality of the playlist itself, so the songs should work together as an EP, as well as a collection of songs from different artists can.

If you send me YouTube links, which is perfectly fine, just be sure it's clear in your PM what the running order of the songs is. If you want to make my life easier and/or if it's important that the playback be as gapless as possible, and you still want to use YouTube, you might make a playlist and send me the playlist. Alternately, if some of your songs aren't on YouTube, you could send me the files themselves. If you do that, it might be best to put track numbers in the file names—that is, the song you want me to listen to first could be called "1 Dark Chest of Wonders.mp3", followed by "2 Another Day.mp3" and so on. If you send me a Spotify playlist, keep in mind that I don't have premium Spotify. As I found out this past round, that means that there are some songs I can listen to and some that I can't. For that reason, it's probably best to do YouTube and if that's not viable to send me the files.

EPs will be scored out of 20. I'm not sure if I will include half point increments yet. The way bonuses will work is the following: if 50% of the EP by length is neither prog nor metal, it's a 0.5 bonus. If the entire EP is neither prog nor metal, it's a 1.0 bonus (it may seem like a lot, but it's the same as the regular bonus since the round is out of 20, not 10).

At this point, I'm going to make a declaration on banned artists in the EP. If the artist was banned in this round or in the previous (epic) round, you can include one song from that artist so long as that song is less than 30% of your EP by length. I don't see any reason to open the thing up to artists that were banned in earlier rounds, since I'm trying to not force people to change their EPs last minute, not allow a field day on artists I've already heard. Obviously this doesn't help you if someone sent the particular song you were going to include on the EP this round, but it's an attempt to try to preserve the running order of EPs that have already been made, since running order is important here. The 30% limit is to prevent people from loading up an EP of 50+% something I already liked here.

Since this is the final round, I'll say for the first of what I assume will be several times how much I've enjoyed having you all involved here. Every single person in this roulette has sent me multiple songs that I have really liked and have made me interested in checking out bands or albums. I really appreciate you all being a part of this.

At some point during the EP listening, I'll make a post listing what I've learned from running this roulette. This will include personal items about my own tastes as well as my thoughts about running a roulette—things that I would do again and things that I would change if I ever run another roulette. If you're coming up on your own first roulette pretty soon, you might be interested in seeing what I have to say about my experience running my own and what I think works and doesn't work. Some of you, of course, are far more experienced than I in the world of roulettes, and to you I'm afraid this post will not be very useful, but I still think it's worth sharing for anyone who might find it interesting.

If there are any remaining EP-related questions, please ask them. If not, go ahead and send for the final round of my roulette!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:23:49 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2015, 11:16:46 PM »
That No-man album is quite warm actually, that song alone being the saddest on it. You'll really enjoy it  :biggrin: .

Goddammit  :lol . I'll something from another album, don't worry.

Also
Score: 9.0 + 0.5 bonus = 10.0
does not compute

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
oh well i scored an 8.0 basically

only twin is far from the easiest oceansize song though (actually one of the harder ones, tbh, though me and my love for dark music i immediately loved it  :lol )
if you want something more accessible and still great, try Catalyst or Unfamiliar, those two both give a pretty good idea of what Oceansize is about (and the later is secretly one of their most complex songs musically but masks it really well haha)

anyways i'll score the .5 and not the 1.0 on my EP, that's fine
gonna give my EP a once-over and then send you the .zip

Offline 425

« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2015, 11:26:32 PM »
That No-man album is quite warm actually, that song alone being the saddest on it. You'll really enjoy it  :biggrin: .

Good to know!

Goddammit  :lol . I'll something from another album, don't worry.

Somehow I just knew.

Also
Score: 9.0 + 0.5 bonus = 10.0
does not compute

Yikes. That was supposed to be a 9.5 + 0.5 = 10.0. Fixed.

only twin is far from the easiest oceansize song though (actually one of the harder ones, tbh, though me and my love for dark music i immediately loved it  :lol )
if you want something more accessible and still great, try Catalyst or Unfamiliar, those two both give a pretty good idea of what Oceansize is about (and the later is secretly one of their most complex songs musically but masks it really well haha)

I'll try those. I definitely haven't given up on liking the band, I just couldn't get completely into that song within the time allotted.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:34 PM »
Hey I'm glad you at least kind of liked it! I'm a huge fan of that sort of cabaret/vaudevillian over-the-top type stuff, so that song is like, made just for me. :lol  Also Oceansize was a band I was initially kind of lukewarm on, but the album that song is from (Frames) is now one of my favorite albums, so you may turn around on them yet!

Also, thank you for having me in this roulette! I love sharing music with people, and even more so when they actually like it! :lol

I will be doing some final checks on my EP, and it shall be en route shortly.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2015, 11:31:54 PM »
I'm a huge fan of that sort of cabaret/vaudevillian over-the-top type stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »
you motherfuckin got it, bro

edit: also sent
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:45:07 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #518 on: July 28, 2015, 12:33:27 AM »
Sent yo.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #519 on: July 28, 2015, 12:54:24 AM »
Will have a few more listens over the day because I'm not completely happy with the track order and then send tomorrow.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #520 on: July 28, 2015, 06:46:52 AM »
Been working on the EP for a while now, but still haven't gotten it right. I will send by the end of  tomorrow though, regardless.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #521 on: July 28, 2015, 06:48:26 AM »
OpenYourEyes311, great pick for a song!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #522 on: July 28, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »
OpenYourEyes311, great pick for a song!

:tup

One of my favorite bands, and such a killer song that pretty much ends their recorded career (at least for original material). I knew I wanted to send a Styx song, it was down to this and Suite Madam Blue, but I figured if he likes One With Everything, he can get a greatest hits CD and get SMB.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #523 on: July 28, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
So when can we expect results?

:footloose:

Offline 425

« Reply #524 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »