Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55163 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: 425's Roulette v. Round 7: The Eternal Listening
« Reply #420 on: July 21, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »
But someone else had sent it in my roulette, and it did quite well there. I wish I could award it more points than I did though.
Damn, I think I know who you're talking about  :lol. Hopefully you won't send from the same album as me, will you?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #421 on: July 21, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »
okay i'm going to send in my next entry now while i wait in suspense

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: July 21, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v. That thing's operational! It's...
« Reply #423 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
:neverusethis:

... a trap.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #424 on: July 21, 2015, 09:05:56 PM »

damn it

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:16:36 PM by Sacul »

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v. Many Bothans died to bring you this information
« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »
At long last. Here it is. The epic round results.

First of all, I decided to not give any bonus points this round. I know that there are a couple of people who might think that they should get the bonus, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that every song sent this round could be classified as either progressive rock or a fusion of progressive rock and something else (like alternative rock, or world music, or freaky opera). So every score is just straight-up out of ten.

I've been immersed in these songs for a good long while. I have to say that I enjoyed and appreciated every submission, but also that I haven't completely digested any of them at all and just kind of went with it on scores. I might have liked to take another round of listens to get a better grasp on what scores I'm going to put, but a) that would have driven me insane, b) that would have driven you insane and c) we need to move on. So without any further delay.

Round Seven Results

Sacul: Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn, Pt. 1

This is among the more interesting and hard-to-categorize pieces that I got this round. It’s an unusual combination of prog rock and folk/world music, I suppose, and that combination has some very pretty results in this song.

The song opens right up with a demonstration of its beauty. The atmosphere set by the keyboards, bass and other instrumentation is nice, and the acoustic and then electric guitar playing the lead melody is quite pretty. I really like the way this song builds in intensity over its first few minutes using this musical progression. Overall, the guitars are really used incredibly well in this song to contribute to the happy feeling that is provided by the other instruments, like the keyboards and woodwinds. Even the long electric guitar solo sections take on a happy, carefree air.

I had the same struggle with this one, initially, that I did with the OSI song that I received this round from OpenYourEyes311: I have a harder time comprehending really long instrumental songs than I do with long epics that have vocal parts. That’s presented a challenge for me in coming to appreciate this song in just a very few listens. It’s been really hard for me to get a handle on everything that is happening here in just a handful of listens.

My biggest gripe with this song is the drumming. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of repetitive tribal drumming of the kind that is included in here. It’s not the worst thing ever, but it gets a bit annoying after a while, just hearing it over and over again, especially on the section where it’s really just the drums and the voices. I know that style of drumming is an element of “world music” (which is part of why I’ve never really looked into that genre very seriously), but I just personally find it bothersome. Personally, I would like the song better if the drumming wasn’t there. It doesn’t negate the fact that there’s really a lot of great, pretty, multi-instrumental stuff going on here, but it does, unfortunately, detract somewhat from my interest in listening to the song.

Score: 7.5

OpenYourEyes311: OSI - The Thing That Never Was

Obviously, I have heard of OSI before, as two members of Dream Theater have been involved in this project. I’d never really gotten around to checking them out, though. I was never a head-over-heels Kevin Moore fan, and there are just so many bands on my list that I never got around to this one.

From what I understand from my research, this song was kind of an interesting choice for what to send from this band. It’s a bonus track, and, as I understand it, it’s much more of a prog metal song than the rest of the band’s work, because it’s what the project was originally going to be before Kevin took the reins.

There’s not much to complain about here in terms of musicianship. Some really strong playing by all the band members—the song moves through a variety of different sections that all feature strong instrumentation and often very good melodies. Mike is spot on. Kevin’s involvement is more limited, but his contributions are also quite good. The highlight here, for me, might be the guitarist, who I suppose is the guitarist from Fates Warning. He plays a lot of memorable riffs and also drives a lot of the pleasant calm sections. The bassist is also good, so everyone is good.

The first two times I heard this one, I had trouble with a perceived lack of cohesion. It seemed like a collection of riffs and ideas with little connection between them. Which, I’m discovering, is a personal problem of mine when it comes to really long instrumental songs, where there’s not a singer really providing clear lines to mark the different parts of the song. But on the third listen, this one is really settling into my mind as more of a cohesive song. There’s pretty good pacing here between the heavy parts and the quiet parts, which makes the piece seem more like a thoughtfully composed 17-minute song than a collection of unused riffs. I guess, knowing at least a bit of the history behind its creation and knowing who Mike Portnoy is, it’s a bit of the latter turned into the former.

This one isn’t going to get top marks from me, simply because it wasn’t as powerful to me as some of the others. It’s an enjoyable listen for sure, with a lot of good musical ideas and everything, but it doesn’t quite bring the sense of journey or “wow-factor” that I hope to see in a song this long. It feels somewhat like an instrumental song that grew and grew until it reached a monster length, which is fine, it’s absolutely good at doing that, but it’s not as epic as some of the others I received this round.

Score: 8.0

lonestar: Maestrick - Lake of Emotions

This is an interesting prog rock epic, here. The opening is really strong, with some great vocal performances in the first few minutes by both the male and female singers, and some very nice melodic parts done by the keyboard player. The keyboard player is the standout of this track for me; he’s by far my favorite of the instrumentalists and gets some of the song’s very best melodies—in fact, when listening to this, I often find myself awaiting the keyboardist’s next big part. For example, he powers most of the very good instrumental bit at around 9-10 minutes in. And again at around the 12 minute mark, and the symphonic part thereafter.

The vocal melodies have some really good moments, though they sometimes fall short, for me. When the male and female singers are switching off, the melodies are pretty good. The quiet part and the bombastic section between the 7 and 9 minute marks are also really good—among the best parts from a vocal and full-band perspective. The “Love and truth” section is good as well, from both standpoints. One of the weaker sections is the verses between the very first two and the quiet part—I just don’t find the vocal melodies there to be that inspired.

Honestly, to a great extent, this song gets better as it goes on. The first few minutes are good, but the next little bit isn’t that great until the quiet section brings things up a bit, and they keep improving from there. The more symphonic section that comes in around the 13-minute mark heightens the excitement and is a really well-written part. The calm part at the climax of the song is also really quite good. I love the counterpoint between the singers, it’s quite a powerful part, and the musical buildup to the finale thereafter is quite good, too. It’s kind of strange the way the music come back after the song has seemed to have ended, but it’s kind of an interesting reprisal of some of the better themes found in the song and sets it apart by doing something somewhat unexpected.

Overall, this song has some good parts and some parts that don’t really do a lot for me (particularly a good portion of the first half). Hopefully, upon future listens, some of the parts that didn’t really do much for me on the first few listens will become more memorable down the road.

Score: 8.0

TAC: Constantine - The Darkest Grace

Here’s a pretty exciting, high-octane prog metal song. It starts right out with some pretty great riffs and guitar melodies. There’s a clear Iron Maiden influence, in a very good way. Some nice galloping bass and dual guitar melodies. The opening instrumental really is a clinic on how to write a very good heavy metal instrumental section.

I’m sure this refrain is getting a bit old by now, but the vocal style of this singer is far from my favorite style. It just seems a bit emotionally two-dimensional, to me. That said, the vocal melodies themselves are pretty good on this song. The chorus is quite good and very memorable. The growled vocals placed way in the background are, I think, an interesting but good choice.

The second big instrumental section is a bit on the bland side, but the final vocal section is good. The bassist demonstrates some pretty nice work at the beginning, and though the vocal melodies aren’t as good as on the first section, they’re solid.

This song’s biggest weakness in this round might be the fact that, at 14 minutes, it’s on the short side, especially by comparison to the meaty (and stylistically similar) pieces that Evermind and Scorpion sent, as well as, of course, Parama’s full album submission. That said, this one was an enjoyable listen through-and-through. The singer was definitely not my favorite, but he didn’t really detract from the experience for me. This one also started out well and only got better on repeat listens. Very nice submission.

Score: 8.5

ShadowNinja 2.0: Devil Doll - Mr. Doctor

This is the weirdest song I’ve ever heard.

Let’s just start there.

I mean, this has tons of different genres thrown in here. There’s a symphonic aspect, something resembling opera? And straight-ahead rock music. The singer is doing some very creepy half-sung performance vocals. I absolutely did not believe I would be receiving a song like this in the roulette.

Now, everything is well-done. I mean, this is a very good dramatic piece of music. It runs through a variety of moods and scenes. The big bombastic rock parts provide a nice counterpoint to the creepy quieter parts. There’s a definite importance placed throughout on setting the mood, since everything fits in well with the overall creepy tone. And there was a definite result. This song scared me on first listen. It was just fascinating in a really scary, creepy way. It’s among the songs that affected me most upon first listen, in this roulette. It wasn’t an entirely positive effect, but it was powerful.

This has been a tough score to come up with. On one hand, this is a well-done, very powerful song that affected me. On the other hand… I’m just not sure how inclined I am to listen to this song more in the future. It’s so out there musically, and the macabre tone is not really something I go for all that often. It loses a bit of steam, too, between about 9 and 13 minutes in, though not too markedly. I also think that a lot of the song, especially the second-last verse, around the 13 minute mark, is just too much lyrically. That grosses me out and I don’t really appreciate it. All that said, this is a really good composition that affected me and that I’m sure I will come back to at least at some point. It deserves a score that reflects the quality and power of this submission, while also reflecting my hesitation about it.

Big Hath: Symphony X - The Odyssey

You have a habit of sending me material from prog-power albums that I’ve only listened to once. I listened to this Symphony X album once, and nothing really jumped out at me, so, like your Redemption submission, this was allowed because it’s forcing me to take another look at something that, frankly, might have continued to gather dust on my shelf, otherwise.

This song really starts brilliantly. The symphonic metal section at the start is truly stellar and is totally how I would imagine The Odyssey to be scored. This, in my opinion, is this style of music at its best: creation sweeping melodic music with a heavy accent. I like the way the guitars also contribute to the melodies and are not just there providing the low end. The first vocal part is almost as good. Russell Allen has never been a favorite of mine—he’s an exemplar of that power metal style that I find overly gritty and head-voice-y. But on this quieter first vocal section, where he sings mostly clean operatic vocals, he really does shine. He’s a talented guy. And the music here is very good as well.

The series of heavy passages that follow were a bit of a letdown for me initially after the very good intros. As I have listened to the song more, though, they’ve improved in my view. I’ve begun to see how fitting they are. This, musically, really does fit into the idea of a treacherous sea voyage, and I can really see Allen as Odysseus/Ulysses (hey, there seems to be a bit of a Greek/Roman confusion within the song). He has a lot of good vocal parts and does carry the song by combining the desperation and masculine toughness that you’d expect from the Greek hero. That said, some of the riffing is not as good as I’d like it to be. That might be the greatest weakness of the song—that the guitar work is sometimes very good, but sometimes just there. I definitely have nothing to complain about from the orchestral folks or the keyboard player, and Allen does his part.

Things return to the very high level of quality provided in the first few minutes as we move towards the finale. I’m a big Iron Maiden fan, and I love the Steve Harris gallop that we get here, and the teasing of the big final vocal melody played on the guitar. Once again, this genre of music at its best. Allen singing some very good clean vocals over some powerful music. And then “Triiiiii-um-phaaaaaaant” is an excellent part.

I have to say, this one is borderline for me, between two scores. Ultimately, though, I’m going with the lower one. Still a very good entry, though.

kingshmegland: The Pineapple Thief - Remember Us

Here’s a long, melancholic prog rock song with a whole lot of emotional power. There’s a lot of great work done here at setting the mood from the musicians, especially the guitarist and keyboardist.

The first couple of minutes are a very good melancholic opener, which then go into a brief vocal section in which the singer sings some really great melodies; I like his voice quite a bit and would like to hear a bit more of him in some of the bands other songs, where there are a bit more vocals.

That said, the instrumental work on this song is so good that it doesn’t really need any more than the brief moments of singing. The instrumentals are really good and set a nice mood. I really like when the song gets briefly experimental and includes a bit of an electronic influence. That was a perfect time and place to bring in that element; some really admirable experimentation. It also helps set up a really good moment when the song is at its most intense and the vocals come back in. That boost in energy carries nicely through the rest of the song.

Overall, this is quite a nice prog/alternative rock piece. Not as stunning as the top songs of this round, but a very good entry.

And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #427 on: July 21, 2015, 09:40:01 PM »
Parama: Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Parama, you absolute lunatic.

So, many of you probably figured out what Parama sent me since I gave too much away. And yeah, he did send me an entire album. I’m still not sure why, something to do with it being the only long song he likes or something. Hopefully it was not on the assumption that I would have time to understand and digest the nuances of a 60-minute slab of prog metal + other genre influences.

As much as I would love to just give Parama a 1/10 for being obnoxious, I actually listened to what he sent, and it’s… good. It’s quite good. Exactly how good, I don’t really know, since it’s an hour-long song and I’ve only listened to it three times, but it’s quite good. After a quiet intro, it starts right away into some very good prog metal, with some good heavy melodic riffing and clean singing. A constant on this song is the melancholic nature of the clean singing, which is not outstanding, but very nicely in fitting with the downcast tone of this epic. The best part, vocally, is the chorus that includes the part “a perfect world, from this cold imperfect world.” That’s definitely one of the memorably good vocal parts. The only growls on the song take place very early on, and are really quite well used to provide counterpoint in a loud-soft section and emphasize some very good heavy riffs.

This really is one of those prog metal albums where, and I don’t understand quite how, all the heavy riffs seem really effortlessly melodic in nature. I feel the same way about a lot of Opeth’s work. This makes the heavy and soft sections feel like sides of the same coin and gives the song a really consistent vibe. This consistency is one of the most interesting attributes of this album-song. I really love the fact that this 60-minute song is not a collection of distinct movements, like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence or The Whirlwind. It’s just a block of music that moves seemlessly between phases for its hour runtime.

The other instruments are well-integrated into the prog metal scenery. The keyboards don’t often step out to the front, but they provide necessary background, and when they are prominent, they are, again, perfectly in keeping with the song’s tone. Same can be said of the string section when it shows up about a quarter of the way through. The female vocals/saxophone part is an interesting one, but it fits in well and makes for a much needed change of pace that doesn’t break the flow of the 60 minute song.

My main doubt is that the song seems to meander a bit towards the end. There are still good parts in there, and it might just be the effect of listener fatigue, but I find the last quarter of the song to be my least favorite quarter.

In any case, this writeup really can’t go into too much more detail than I’ve already given. I’m not sure I can really pick out too much in the way of favorite parts of the song, because, really, could you pick out all your favorite parts of a fairly complex album on third listen? But this is a really good piece, a really good submission. It’s really just taken me a few listens to really come to appreciate this song, and it will definitely be a part of my rotation in the future. As much as I hate to reward Parama for being obnoxious, this deserves a really good score.

Score: 9.0

Evermind: Dimension Act - Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence

Another big prog-power epic, and this one was quite a pleasant listening experience. I’ve never heard of this band, but these guys are really talented. This epic starts off with a long instrumental section, and it’s really quite good and interesting. Dream Theater is clearly an influence, especially on the keyboard player, but not so much that it seems like a copycat.

The singer is always a question for me in these prog-power bands. A lot of times, as should be clear to you all now, I don’t really like the singer too much. In this case, though, the singers pass my test. Neither one of them is technically extraordinary, really, but they are plenty talented to hit the notes, and they both have nice clean tones. The “we draw the lines of mortal existence” chorus is one of the best parts, vocally, and the male vocalist does very well on that part. Both singers excel on the “are we immortal souls” chorus in the last movement, as well.

I don’t really have that many standout favorite parts to point to here. The strength of this song isn’t in having a lot of “wow" moments, but in being just straight up good all the way through. If I had to pick a favorite movement, it would be the fifth movement, because that’s a really good instrumental section, especially in the second half. But, really, it’s about the compositional and musical strength of the whole more than any one part. This is just a really good song played really well.

Score: 9.0

Scorpion: Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

Wow.

So, how did you know I love a) space travel and b) tragic stories? You must have, because you picked a really fantastic epic that unites the two and then sent me that.

This is a really good prog metal song. It’s absolutely brimming with great melodies, from the singer and from the keyboards, guitars and orchestral moments. Each of the many different sections seems to feature some good instrumentation supporting a memorable, soaring vocal melody. This song just has so much to give.

The story told in here is really beautiful and tragic, as well. The desperate, tragic tale of a group of survivors flying away from a war-torn Earth and missing Mars, going hurtling off into space is really poignant and beautiful. I absolutely love what these guys did in bringing this story to life in music.

There are a lot of really good parts here. It’s hard to name some favorites. But I’ll try.

Shine your light! Be the beacon of hope at night!
We have no home anymore! When Mima showed the final war…
The guitar solo at the 18-minute mark
*bring it down to just piano* Away, some say never, we’ll leave this godforsaken place…
We crown the skies with our tiara, the life and fate of Aniara… ...Twenty years today!
The instrumental stuff shortly after the 26 minute mark
Somewhere in time we were living, remember us then!

I’ve spent the second half of this final listen debating the score. This song is exceptional. I really love it, already, after just three listens. It’s hard to grade songs I haven’t listened to in weeks against a song I’ve just listened to, and it’s hard to grade a four minute rock song against a 30 minute prog epic. But this could easily be my favorite song of the roulette. And what’s the point of having this bullet in my gun if I’m not going to use it? I’ve actually written the last paragraph of this writeup two ways, one for the lower score and one for the higher score. Only one of the two feels right.

Score: 10.0

Natural Standings:
ShadowNinja 2.0 - 62.0
Parama - 61.5
Scorpion - 61.5
OpenYourEyes311 - 60.0
Evermind - 60.0
kingshmegland - 58.5
Sacul - 58.5
lonestar - 58.0
Big Hath - 57.0
TAC - 55.0

Adjusted Standings:
Scorpion - 55.5
ShadowNinja 2.0 - 53.5
Parama - 53.5
Evermind - 52.0
OpenYourEyes311 - 52.0
Sacul - 51.5
kingshmegland - 51.0
lonestar - 50.5
Big Hath - 49.5
TAC - 47.5

Let me know if you see a problem in my math. I'll recalculate from scratch after next round be sure that I'm definitely correct in the math then.

Round Eight: Open

This is the penultimate round, and the final open round. I'm going to try to make this very very snappy. The purpose of having this open round here is twofold: 1. To give me a breather between the epic round the EP, and 2. To let you submit any songs or artists that you haven't found a place for elsewhere. Parama seems to be using this open round exactly as I imagined people would, as he's sending a song that he feels I need to hear, but that he didn't put in any other round and can't find a place for on his EP. In any case, the sooner you send the songs, the sooner we can get to the final round that everyone has been waiting for. So let's go! Send anything you like. But don't send me a 60 minute song like Parama.

And yes, that set of writeups was in fact so long that I exceeded the forum character limit.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #428 on: July 21, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »
Honestly, I didn't expect you to like it at all. :lol

Kudos to The Great Escape and Light of Day, those are great songs. Will send almost immediately.

Offline 425

« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
Well, it did scare me! But it was a really well-written song, and I enjoyed it while also being scared.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2015, 09:50:25 PM »
So the epic ending, the damn climax, the sorrowful guitar solo on it isn't even mentioned?  :'(

Oh well, I'm sure you'll love the album when you give it more and more spins. Already sent for this round :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »
Well, it did scare me! But it was a really well-written song, and I enjoyed it while also being scared.

I can understand that. I was pretty freaked out the first time I listened to them. Though to lay aside any concerns about Mr. Doctor's mental stability, most of the lyrics are based on horror films and such, not his own internal musings.

Also I have sent a more pleasant song for this round. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
i'm fully aware LoDDoD is pretty hard to digest in just three listens yeah, that's fair enough  :lol
personally my biggest gripe is the 5 minutes of female vocals and sax, it's not a bad section but it brings the song to a halt for too long

and yeah most of the last 10 minutes is basically just remixes of earlier riffs, I like it but I can understand it meandering a bit for sure, the best part of the song is that big damn solo section from like 40-44 minutes or so anyways

and yeah i could've sent this in an open round earlier but it wouldn't work for any other round and trying to build my EP around it was killing my EP's flow, it's just way too dark

anyways i'll listen to the 10/10 song real qu- well right now okay
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:08:56 PM by Parama »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
if I was going to lose to three other songs this round, those are some pretty good ones.

the teasing of the big final vocal melody played on the guitar.

oh man do I love that
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
i've legit never heard any of the other songs in this round though haha i'll at least listen to the 9/10 one too tho
the only one I even know of is Symphony X too

Offline 425

« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »
So the epic ending, the damn climax, the sorrowful guitar solo on it isn't even mentioned?  :'(

Oh well, I'm sure you'll love the album when you give it more and more spins. Already sent for this round :)

I did like the song! I had written that the guitar throughout the track is really, really good. Solo was too. Honestly, while the drums were a bit of a barrier for me, everything else about the song was really good.

Also I have sent a more pleasant song for this round. :lol

So... I suppose... this could be a pleasant submission, or some Steven Wilson song about murderers. One of the two. :lol

i'm fully aware LoDDoD is pretty hard to digest in just three listens yeah, that's fair enough  :lol

Meanwhile Parama is just over here laughing that his crazy long submission to be annoying actually worked.

the teasing of the big final vocal melody played on the guitar.

oh man do I love that

That part is just like... Yessss :metal
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
regardless of what you think, i legit entered that song only due to a lack of anything better to enter
i could've sent you periphery but you wouldn't have liked that
i could've sent you GY!BE but I don't think there's a single one of their songs that I think is really good from beginning to end, East Hastings is the closest but Sleep has the best moments and blah
TMV was also an outskirt choice but I don't like Cassandra Gemini enough and Tetragrammaton is good but not great

other than that i basically have no epics not covered by the banned artists list  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2015, 10:26:12 PM »
I'm just poking fun at you! You can't really send a 60 minute song (right on the wake of me being like "well, I won't put a maximum on it, because I expect you all will be reasonable") and not expect me to crack a few jokes. :lol

Hopefully, the score I gave your submission shows that the truth is that I really appreciate you sending it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »
I was so disappointed with my score I sent you two songs for the next round! (whoops!)

The second one is the one I want to send for round 8.

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline 425

« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2015, 10:31:01 PM »
Got it! :tup
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2015, 10:35:53 PM »
round 8 sent.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2015, 10:38:13 PM »
i spent those 30 minutes working on my banned list and a few rules for my roulette 6 months from now, my roulette is going to be awful omg  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2015, 10:39:27 PM »
I'll make sure to join and send you a 70 minute song.

Jk I can't join a roulette have you seen my banned list?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »
no, join my roulette and send me a lot of great pop stuff  :lol

also here's a preview of my roulette's rules:
Wagers:
1. [REDACTED]
2. [REDACTED]
3. There is no length limit on entries, but only the shortest song over 12 minutes will not be penalized. The next shortest song will be penalized .5 points, and all longer songs will be penalized 1 point.
4. [REDACTED]

so go ahead send that 70 minute song

Offline 425

« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »
I totally would, but I really only have a handful of pop artists. I'd send you like a Taylor Swift song and then a Coldplay song and then a Death Cab for Cutie song, and then I'd have to track down a 70 minute song since I assume Transatlantic will probably be on your banned list, and then I'll be out of artists and also I'll have a total score of like 8.

Well, now that I look at my library, I might maybe barely be able to swing it. We'll see when the time comes.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »
Hey man if you want to join my roulette and send Taylor Swift and other pop stuff you can. I already listen to Coldplay, though.

Offline 425

« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »
Seriously, I would love to join y'all's roulette's, but, as you can tell by my banned list, I really don't have a deep bench over here. So how about this: once you all post your threads, I'll look at the rules and look at your banned lists and see if I think I can swing it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »
hey 425: realize this -

I don't know a large chunk of the artists being entered in this roulette  :P

and yeah Transatlantic is totes on my banned list

Offline 425

« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Hmm, good point.

No promises, but I will definitely take a look at your banned list once you start your thread.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »
Glad you liked it! My first 9.0 earned without any bonus here.

LoD, DoD is great - made my Top 50 albums list, and The Great Escape is amazing too. I thought of including some Seventh Wonder in my metal EP, but I guess that's out of the table now. The other songs I've heard from this round are SX one and the one RJ sent.

My chances of winning this are really small even after that 9.0, so I'll do one more serious round - my song is ideal for a breather, it's really good, deserves a 0.5 bonus and I think it'll be up your alley - and then you should prepare for my glorious metal EP (which I really should start planning now) :lol

Will send this round when I get back from work (~11 hours from now on).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #450 on: July 22, 2015, 12:00:43 AM »
Woohoo! I wasn't quite sure on the song, but I'm glad that you liked it.

Will send the open later today, and maybe start planning my EP after work whoops.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #451 on: July 22, 2015, 04:55:41 AM »

You're welcome.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: July 22, 2015, 05:45:38 AM »

You're welcome.

Well, I thought of sending The Great Escape, so it could've been a 10. :biggrin:

But yeah, the song is fabulous and I love it, so screw roulette etiquettes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #453 on: July 22, 2015, 06:36:15 AM »

You're welcome.

Well, I thought of sending The Great Escape, so it could've been a 10. :biggrin:

But yeah, the song is fabulous and I love it, so screw roulette etiquettes.

No etiquette problem at all - I'm not a player.  And even if I was, my motto is "win if you can; lose if you must; but always cheat".  RJ and others know that all too well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #454 on: July 22, 2015, 06:39:30 AM »
I've never really been able to get into The Great Escape..

Well middle of the pack for me. If you don't like the singer on this round, you'll hate the one on the next round.  :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol