Author Topic: 425's Roulette v. We crown the skies with our tiara! (Final Results Inside!)  (Read 55153 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: 425's Roulette v. 6:00 On a Christmas Morning (Round 6 Results)
« Reply #315 on: July 02, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure I know what Parama sent. I thought about sending it too, but I went with a choice that I perceived as a little safer.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #316 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »
okay so I overcompensated on length  but you have no one to blame but yourself 425

If a week and a half from now any of you are wondering why this round is taking so damn long, you have no one to blame but Parama.

I have everyone's entries except yours, king. No rush, especially given what Parama sent me, just letting you know.

I'm sending it when i get home from work!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: July 02, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: July 02, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
One question on the EP section.  All the bands we sent are banned from the EP round I would assume?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #319 on: July 02, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure I know what Parama sent. I thought about sending it too, but I went with a choice that I perceived as a little safer.
screw being safe i'm just picking the best thing i can send  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
One question on the EP section.  All the bands we sent are banned from the EP round I would assume?

I've actually been thinking some about this. Specifically, I've been thinking about a scenario where someone has already planned a perfect EP, and then one of the bands from their EP (but a different song) gets sent in a late round. Since the EP is about flow as well as quality, I was thinking that I would be less of a stickler about artists banned during this roulette in the EP round. I thought I might have a rule like "You can use an artist that has been banned during the roulette in your EP, but banned artists must make up less than one third of the EP's runtime." Thoughts?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2015, 07:00:25 PM »
That's cool.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #322 on: July 02, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Still struggling on the EP part. Had an actual full EP from a band I wanted to send, but that would obviously kill the time limit.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: July 02, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
it doesn't matter for me because even though only one artist has been submitted from the EP I planned out, the specific song I was gonna use was the one submitted  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #324 on: July 02, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »
I have my EP planned basically since Round 1, and I've been slowly deleting songs and refining it through the game, so expect something of high quality. Luckily only two bands have already been banned from there - I hope no more please :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: July 02, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
I think the banned bands should stay banned for EP round. Planned the perfect EP and one of the bands was sent in the previous round? Tough luck, maybe go and plan something different then. ;)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
if I have to change the last two songs on my EP to something else i'll cry because I found the best damn transition between two unrelated songs ever that works even better than the transition originally intended by the first into the second omg

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
so have you gotten through all the songs even once yet?  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »
No because he can't stop replaying mine :hat .

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v. Round 7: The Eternal Listening
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2015, 11:16:12 PM »
so have you gotten through all the songs even once yet?  :lol

No. :lol

I've listened to four of the songs. Not including the longest song (Parama's, obviously), but including the second-longest song. In fairness, I only started listening today (I've been taking a few days off between finishing one round and starting the next to make sure that my palette is as clean as possible from one round to another). Right now, I'm listening to these songs and thinking about them as though I only am going to do three listens. I'd like to get through four, but since the total runtime of this round is 4 hours and 12 minutes, that might not be feasible without taking altogether too long to get this round done.

I'll keep you all posted on how it's going. I'm going to try to get this done in a timely fashion, but I also don't want to shortchange the songs too much by giving them too few listens. So if I get through three listens and have no idea what I'm doing in scoring, I'm going to opt to take that extra listen to get it right, even if it's at the cost of the round taking a couple more days.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:02 PM »
The second-longest song must be mine, hope you liked it. ;)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2015, 01:24:19 AM »
Good luck man, I never envy people doing epic rounds. I did it once, never again, it just is so much to absorb one epic, much less 6 to 8.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
in my roulette I'm not gonna explicitly ban epics but warn people that I don't tend to care for most of them

anyways sending what i sent is basically punishment for asking me to send a really long song tho it's also the best epic that i can actually send 'cause the better ones are banned

Offline 425

« Reply #333 on: July 12, 2015, 12:03:41 AM »
Finally listened to all the songs once. Took a little while  :lol *sideways glance at Parama* but I finally got there.

My pace should increase now that I've made it through once. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I get nervous about listening to a new song or album for the first time, and that can cause me to procrastinate. Previous rounds have been in the 1-1.5 hour range, so I've been able to just bite the bullet and get through the first listen for all of the songs at once. As the total length of this round is 4:12, I could not do that, which made for slower going.

Good luck man, I never envy people doing epic rounds. I did it once, never again, it just is so much to absorb one epic, much less 6 to 8.

Imagine ten, which is what I have.  :lol

I don't regret having ten contestants, though. I decided to keep it open for ten because that many people wanted to play and I didn't want to miss out on any good submissions anyone might have. And whatever additional work has come from having a number of contestants that I would suppose is on the high end has been outweighed by the greater volume of good music I've received.

I could say the same about this epic round. This is going to take a while and it's going to be hard as hell to grade (because, honestly, I'm going to have to grade most of these songs before I feel 100% comfortable doing so, just in the interest of not having this round take forever). But it's also exposed me to some really great artists and songs, I can tell that already.

So I'm really enjoying this round, and I hope everyone can be patient while I continue to work through these songs. I don't have a date for when I'll be done yet *another sideways glance at Parama*, but I would guess that it'll take about a week more, give or take. It depends on how much I listen to on each day and whether I listen to the songs three or four times. After that, I'll do my best to make the last open round as snappy as possible, and then we'll already be wrapping up the roulette on another more extended round with the EPs. So there's your look at where I am now and the look ahead and how the roulette will be progressing.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: July 12, 2015, 12:27:41 AM »
I don't regret having ten contestants, though. I decided to keep it open for ten because that many people wanted to play and I didn't want to miss out on any good submissions anyone might have. And whatever additional work has come from having a number of contestants that I would suppose is on the high end has been outweighed by the greater volume of good music I've received.
Curious thing, I barely managed to grab a spot on this one and now I'm doing great (just 2.5 points away from the top) - just like Tyrias did in my roulette, and ended up in a one-vs-one top tie with Evermind. With the exception that our whiskey-comrade won that final match by a microscopic margin ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: July 12, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
you glance sideways at me but i'm holding The Mirror and you're seeing a reflection of your own mistakes when you look at me

you've got no one to blame but yourself

Offline 425

« Reply #336 on: July 12, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
Hello, mirror, so glad to see you, my friend, it's been a while...

But seriously, Parama, though I will not stop berating you about sending me a song nearly twice as long as any others from this round, I do appreciate it in a way, because that's one of those artists that I keep seeing praised around here but would probably have not gotten the motivation to check out for a long time if you hadn't "made me." Actually got several artists that fall into that category this round.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: July 12, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »
if it makes you feel better i would've probably sent you periphery otherwise and i have a feeling you'd not have liked 15 minutes of that much  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: July 12, 2015, 10:59:30 AM »
So Parama sent an hour long song? Hell, I probably should've sent Green Carnation's second album here.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: July 12, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
So Parama sent an hour long song? Hell, I probably should've sent Green Carnation's second album here.
:neverusethis:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »
Wait, that's what you've sent, isn't it? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »
 :hat

Offline 425

« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »

If two people had sent hour long songs I probably would have given them both 1s and been done with it. Parama is lucky that he's the only one who decided to get cute.

No comment otherwise, though I probably should have been vaguer about length.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #343 on: July 12, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »
it's okay if I don't score well in this round, any score under an 8 at this point *is* an 8 because of the adjusted leaderboards  :lol
and it's really less about me being cute and more about "this is the only epic that I can send that I really have any strong feelings towards and everything else I could send isn't really that great"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2015, 12:21:35 PM »
it's okay if I don't score well in this round, any score under an 8 at this point *is* an 8 because of the adjusted leaderboards  :lol

Yeah, same for me, never scored less than eight so far. We're showing some consistency here.

I think 425 will like the song I've got for the open round, and will probably absolutely hate my EP because I'm going to put as much hard rock, power metal and progressive metal there as I can — I mean, I sent no metal songs in this roulette in all rounds! — so my lowest score will be either in this epic round or on the EP. I'm fine with both scenarios, honestly.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »
i have no idea what the fuck 425 will think of my song

apparently he survived the first listen though so

good i guess??

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »
I'm gonna retool my EP before that round, for sure, the last three tracks I'm pretty set on but I might put different stuff for the first two

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
I imagine there's the possibility two or more people might end up sending songs by a same artist on the EP round, but what if they send the same song? I thinks it's unlikely to happen, but would you do if such thing happens?

Offline 425

« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »
Nothing, I'd just grade each EP as it was. I'd probably do the same if I got the same song twice in a regular round, though obviously in a regular round both contestants would get the same score, while in the EP round their scores would differ depending on what else is on the EP.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: July 14, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
i retooled my EP a bit on the front-end but now I need to shorten it a little, whoops  :lol
might go back and change it again though I dunno I'm never gonna be perfectly happy with it I think