Author Topic: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 41749 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: Rush - R40 Tour discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #315 on: June 27, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
Just got tickets for the NYC show at MSG!  They were a bit cheaper than I thought, and I got pretty good seats.  There were floor seats available, but I figured I would get a much better view from the 200-level seats:

I had similar seats last year for a Billy Joel concert and they were pretty good, so I'm pretty happy I was able to grab these.  The floor seats would have been far in the back, and my view would likely have been blocked by the few thousand people standing in front of me:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #316 on: June 27, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
Yeah... unless you're in the first 8 rows, floor seats blow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »
I don't have tickets for MSG yet, but since I bought Philly and Newark last minute, I pretty much know where I'll likely be sitting come Monday.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #318 on: June 27, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
ZZZZZZZZZ.. eh, wha? Have they announced European Tour Dates yet? No? wake me up when they do... Zzzzzzz...

You're not alone, I'm also waiting for European Tour Dates.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #319 on: June 27, 2015, 11:56:35 PM »
So they totally played "Losing It" again tonight in NJ. Anyone who decided to skip this show missed out on a set list that included both "The Camera Eye" AND "Losing It", in addition to the already constantly-played "Jacob's Ladder". I would have never dreamed that all three of those tracks would EVER be played live, together, in the same night, at the same show. What a jaw-dropping set those guys played tonight. Good for them, and good for the fans who caught that show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #320 on: June 28, 2015, 06:55:27 AM »
Yeah, I was one of those!

I knew that they planned to play Losing It tomorrow in NYC, but was completely expecting the normal A set last night. Did I ever get excited when they only played two songs from Clockwork Angels, and super happy it panned out.

We were on the side in Philly, but dead center for this. Completely missed many of the lights on the first show, and really enjoyed them last night, really cool production. Will be back to post more at some point.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2015, 07:49:17 AM »
Too awesome.

From Newark last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNne9oAx9Fc

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: June 28, 2015, 07:55:48 AM »
Oh man, chills. And what a cool bass guitar!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #323 on: June 28, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »
 :hefdaddy
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #324 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »
Man, that's a pro shot!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #325 on: June 28, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
I had a feeling they'd play that again when I read it had been played in soundchecks even after Toronto. Great performance! :tup

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #326 on: June 28, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
Temp were you in Montreal?  We drove from NH to see them.  I've got to say that stadium had good acoustics for being so damn large.

Yes. The show was great! In NYC now. We're all headed to Reds/Mets game in a few minutes.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #327 on: June 28, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
Sweet.  Have a great time with the boys.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: June 28, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
Too awesome.

From Newark last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNne9oAx9Fc
WOW!!!!!

As much as I ragged on Signals when it came out, I have always loved Losing It.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »
Yeah, I was one of those!

I knew that they planned to play Losing It tomorrow in NYC, but was completely expecting the normal A set last night. Did I ever get excited when they only played two songs from Clockwork Angels, and super happy it panned out.

We were on the side in Philly, but dead center for this. Completely missed many of the lights on the first show, and really enjoyed them last night, really cool production. Will be back to post more at some point.

Still liked Newark more although enjoyed the light show in Philly. Nearly lost it when they went into Headlong Flight, but the first set was so awesome I forgot all about Losing It until halfway through Between the Wheels. Had the wind sucked out of me when it started.

If that ends up being my last show, (depending on how a possible residency tour goes)  I'm totally cool with it.

This has all been one huge celebration.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: July 12, 2015, 02:58:50 AM »
I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I watched this the other night, full show from Houston, a two camera composite.  Its pretty great, sound is surprisingly good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRdlVi-_H0

Not even a huge Rush fan, but I've been blasting them over the last couple weeks and I feel like they're finally starting to click for me.  What an amazing band!  I'm not THAT hurt about not being able to see them live, I don't think they've ever been to New Zealand anyway and I doubt they ever will now :lol

Offline snowdog

« Reply #332 on: July 12, 2015, 09:32:50 PM »
I've kept out of this thread since I wanted to avoid the spoilers.  I was coming back from a vacation in Louisville and on the way back I stopped in Kansas City.  So I got to see the show there and then head back home the next day and then I caught the Denver show last night.   Overall I was extremely glad I went to both shows.  Over the course of the two shows I was treated to my top 5 favorites: Natural Science, Camera Eye, Jacob's Ladder, 2/3rds Cygnus X-1, and Hemispheres (though of course only part 1).  Everything else in that second set and encore was just gravy! 

First set was hit and miss for me.  I like the Wreckers and all but how the heck was Clockwork Angels getting swapped out for it?  I definitely preferred BTW over DEW, but I would have preferred Afterimage or Enemy Within from GuP.  I'm not a fan of How It Is or One Little Victory so I didn't really care what they did there.  I really could have done without Roll the Bones and Far Cry but for some reason they really like those tracks.  I thought The Anarchist worked really well as an opener.  It was good hearing the Main Monkey Business again.

I've been seeing Rush since the Presto tour (though I missed R30).  These definitely were my favorite Rush shows ever.  I wouldn't call these sets my "dream setlists" but they are probably as close as reality and my preferences would ever get.  And honestly better than I ever thought was possible.  If this is indeed the last time I'll see them I can't complain at all.  I'd say this is definitely the way to go out for them.  I'd honestly rather see them go out as close to the top of their game as possible.  Unlike Yes who I stopped seeing back in 2004 or something since I felt that the mistakes were starting to get very noticeable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »
I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I watched this the other night, full show from Houston, a two camera composite.  Its pretty great, sound is surprisingly good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRdlVi-_H0

Not even a huge Rush fan, but I've been blasting them over the last couple weeks and I feel like they're finally starting to click for me.  What an amazing band!  I'm not THAT hurt about not being able to see them live, I don't think they've ever been to New Zealand anyway and I doubt they ever will now :lol

Haven't seen the composite yet. I'll be checking this out, thanks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »
Well, I just scored my Rush tickets.   They seem legit....almost TOO professional.   Got them off Craigslist.   Seemed like a really nice clean cut guy who was well put together, and even had them in a nice plastic "snap" envelope with all the info written neatly in Sharpie on the outside.     If he's a con-man, he's a professional. 

A red flag went off in my head when I decided to write down his licence plate number as he drove away in a nice gold Hummer H2....it was a dealer plate.   :-\

I don't think the tickets are counterfeit....but I suspect that if anything is shady, it's because he's selling multiple copies.   That would mean the first one scanned is the one that gets in....so I plan on lining up early and hitting the doors as early as possible.

I hope I get in.  This one means a lot to me.   I've told my son that this is the very last time I'm paying for him to go to a show with me.  He's 22, a little "late to the launch", but getting closer to leaving home, so this is going to be kindof "the last hurrah" for us before I really start coming down harder on him to pay for all his own crap.     I just had to take him to see Rush before they hang it up.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2015, 08:15:41 AM »
Everything from Craigslist seems shady

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
Yeah, I'd only buy from people that can be vouched for (people active inside Rush groups, etc), and places like StubHub that can actually get you your money back if things aren't right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #337 on: July 20, 2015, 01:31:34 AM »
Well...as it turned out, the tickets were legit and I got in with no issues. 

Fantastic show.   We didn't get Losing It (I figured we probably wouldn't since Vancouver had just got it Friday)...but we did get The Camera Eye, Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu...so I was thrilled. 

Best Rush show I've ever been to.   I'll post more in the morning.  I'm exhausted.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: July 20, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »
Good to hear about the tickets!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #339 on: July 20, 2015, 10:01:33 AM »
I haven't followed this as close as the start of the tour, as the rotation has gotten waaaay out of whack since, but as it stands now, if no more special appearances happen, I'll get B in Vegas and C in Phoenix which would make me veeeeeery happy. Having seen those two already now, I won't complain if I end up getting an A, but I hope nothing changes. The added benefit is that my gf saw B in Newark, and she'll be with me for Phoenix, so I hope they play C there.

While I think you can debate A v. B, or B v. C, is there really anyone out there that would prefer A to C?

With C you lose Red Barchetta but gain YYZ AND Natural Science.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #340 on: July 20, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
BTW...in checking it this morning, Seattle got setlist B exactly.   But of the primary ABC sets, B is certainly my favorite, so I can't complain.   My absolute favorite is E (which just swaps out The Wreckers for Losing It)...but I feel like that's nitpicking.     It was the most amazing Rush show I've ever seen. 

Offline snowdog

« Reply #341 on: July 20, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
B and C are the best IMO (not counting D-F).  I like Red Barchetta but I've seen it quite a number of times and Natural Science and Camera Eye are so much better. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
BTW...in checking it this morning, Seattle got setlist B exactly.   But of the primary ABC sets, B is certainly my favorite, so I can't complain.   My absolute favorite is E (which just swaps out The Wreckers for Losing It)...but I feel like that's nitpicking.     It was the most amazing Rush show I've ever seen.
Here you go:
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=534705
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »

Awesome!  Glad you got to go. B/C/D are my faves. I missed Red Barchetta and The Wreckers during my run, but it was totally worth it for the alternatives.

The three times I needed Rush tickets over the last 11 years I went to Craigslist or Ebay. (I protect myself as much as possible but I've never had any issues with it) I've NEVER been able to find anything close to face value for a Rush concert on Stub Hub. I consider Stub Hub to be legalized scalping.

I can't believe there are just something like 6 gigs left. Summer is going fast.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #344 on: July 21, 2015, 04:10:27 AM »
Oh shush - Many of us still can't believe they've not announced a European leg yet (making it increasingly unlikely that they will)...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #345 on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »
What really blew me away was how fantastic Geddy sounded.   Not only hitting the notes, but in some cases even *holding* them for extended periods.   He sounds better now than he did at the beginning of the tour.   In fact, I haven't heard him sound this good since the 90's.   

My personal opinion?   He recently went on record as having given up smoking pot.   Regardless of any opinions anyone may have of the drug itself, I'm sure everyone here will at least admit that smoking *anything* is not the best idea if you want to keep up your singing voice.   It really sounds like Geddy is the one guy in the band who is not feeling his age quite as much as the other two.   I'm just happy he's feeling healthier and more spry than he has in a long time.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #346 on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »
I thought he said he had given up pot in the early 90s. ???

As for a European leg, sorry, TCO, but it ain't happening (barring a miracle).

Hard to believe that the probable end is so close now. :(

Offline jammindude

« Reply #347 on: July 21, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
I thought he said he had given up pot in the early 90s. ???

As for a European leg, sorry, TCO, but it ain't happening (barring a miracle).

Hard to believe that the probable end is so close now. :(

Maybe I just didn't read the date on the interview.   I only just saw it posted somewhere recently...he seemed to talk like it was more recently than that.   But maybe I just misconstrued the situation.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #348 on: July 21, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
I honestly feel blessed I got to see them twice this tour, and the excellent combination of setlists.  The only songs I missed out on were The Camera Eye, and Between the Wheels.  I'm ok with both, since I've seen BTW at least twice already, and we got TCE on the Time Machine Tour (+ I saw DT cover it).  Getting Natural Science and Red Barchetta was a much better score.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #349 on: July 21, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
There will hardly be a European tour, it's looking less and less likely. I'm so glad I made the trip to see these guys two years ago. Deep down I sort of knew it was my only chance.