Author Topic: Single best metal male singer ever?  (Read 6652 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Single best metal male singer ever?
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2015, 11:55:25 AM »
If people enjoy listening to growls, then all the power to them

As for me, I'm as rock/metal as it gets. However, the split second I hear a growl, the song is turned off and officially done for me

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
^This.  The unfortunate thing is, sometimes not liking things such as growls gets people like us branded as being narrow-minded musically and not open to other things.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:08 PM »
not liking something i wouldnt say is not being open to other things but people who are all like "i will NEVER EVER like anything with growls in it" yeah that does strike me as narrow minded

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
not liking something i wouldnt say is not being open to other things but people who are all like "i will NEVER EVER like anything with growls in it" yeah that does strike me as narrow minded

Well put...

I was listening to Queensryche The Warning on the way to work this morn...man...  Tate was a fucking badass!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »
Just this past weekend, I was reminiscing about what a badass Tate was.

After having heard Todd nail Queen of the Reich.

Live.

Again.

:metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2015, 12:56:52 PM »
It's not narrow minded.
I've used The Onion Analogy before, but in case you missed it, here it is:
I liken Growls to Onions. You can give me the finest steak, but as soon as you put onions on it, it is ruined for me. That's how I feel about growls.

I have tried a number of times to accept them, but I just cannot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »
Yeah but that's not what I said. I didn't say people who don't like growls are narrow minded. I said people who have decided not to like them are narrow minded.

edit: It's kind of like someone who says about some album (or really anything, it doesn't have to be music), "This is my favorite and nothing will ever be better." Well of course nothing's ever going to be better for them because they've already decided not to like anything more than that thing, whatever it is. That's the kind of attitude I'm referring to here, not just dislike. Narrow minded doesn't mean not liking things, it means a refusal to consider liking something.

Hopefully this post makes some sense.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »
Po-tay-to, po-tay-to.  I'm not sure I understand how saying it one way is different than the other.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
ok

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »
Well, it makes sense but I've "decided" I don't like growls. A "never say never" situation I guess.

I'll never make love to a man, but does that make me sexually narrow minded?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »
The edit does make a little more sense.  I don't really agree with it, but what you were trying to convey makes a little more sense.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
Well, it makes sense but I've "decided" I don't like growls. A "never say never" situation I guess.

Stick with the onion analogy lol

And I've heard enough growls to know that I will never enjoy them. I also know that there is no chance whatsoever that I will enjoy a country, rap, dance, pop, electronica, trance, hip hop, folk song.

I will gladly admit I am the most closed minded music fan you will find lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »

And I've heard enough growls to know that I will never enjoy them. I also know that there is no chance whatsoever that I will enjoy a country, rap, dance, pop, electronica, trance, hip hop, folk song.

:lol

I'm pretty closed minded too. (Don't tell Ninja!) ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
I don't think "narrow minded" has to be something negative. I would say my mom is narrow minded with music, she listens to a very limited list of 70's and 80's hard rock/heavy metal/rock bands, but she would be the first to agree with me if I said that. It's not like being open minded and enjoying every genre is superior to having a specific taste and preferring your music to be in certain ways. I can get frustrated when people showcase narrow mindedness, but if they like their limits and listen to the kind of music they like, then that's really all that matters.

As for how it plays into this debate, it depends on what qualifications you want to judge a singer on. A singer having a range that expands into harsh vocals, even if you don't like it, is still showcasing something. It's like talking about who is the best film director. While I don't think so personally, a lot of people would say Spielberg is the best, because he has done great movies in so many different "styles". War movie, sci-fi, action, adventure, comedy, horror, and so on. If you make 5 masterpiece movies across 5 completely different genres, does that make you a better director than someone who has 5 masterpiece movies within the same genre? Some would argue that the variety and range makes the first director superior, but others who mainly watch movies in the genre by the other director would say otherwise. Just a silly comparison, I'm tired.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »

:rollin

I pretty much agree with all of this.   Having said that there is that 0.000000001% in my collection where stuff I dislike is used sparingly within music I like.   

Examples:

Run DMC with Aerosmith..........I can listen to that but would never listen to rap/hip hop or similar

After Forever: s/t ............that album made my top 50 and has growls here and there on a couple of tracks , but I was too busy Floorgasming to really give a shit.  ;D

So there you have it - two albums among 5000.  I am a crossover merchant yo  :hat
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2015, 12:12:36 AM »
I didn't start tolerating growls until after my brother and I created KrotchRaut, and that was only to make fun of them. Now some can sound pretty cool to me. I never search them out though. I'd still rather 100% clean singing, but if there are a few growls here and there, I don't mind, unless they sound like ass, which a lot do.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
I wouldn't want to appear as though I'm forcing anyone to listen to anything, but when people say they've heard enough growls to know they don't like them, there's a 99% chance they haven't. Growls can be amazingly nuanced, emotive and even beautiful. But all the power to you, of course, I'd like to be a BIT more narrow in things I tolerate or like in music, because my pile of albums to listen to would be spiralling out of control even with growls out of the equation :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
But all the power to you, of course, I'd like to be a BIT more narrow in things I tolerate or like in music, because my pile of albums to listen to would be spiralling out of control even with growls out of the equation :lol
Mine has already gone crazy with 1000+ records :rollin

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »
DIO