Author Topic: Single best metal male singer ever?  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Single best metal male singer ever?
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:50 PM »
Well there is this

but yeah largely he's probably not metal, strictly speaking

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »
John Arch! :biggrin: Come at me, haters!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 12:46:48 AM »
I realize this is just a personal thing, but I would have really hard time considering someone for "best metal vocalist" if they don't do any type of harsh vocals.

Again, just me, but that's such a huge part of metal, at least the kind I listen to, that I can't really pick someone clean-only.
I agree, even though there are loads of fantastic singers who don't scream or growl.

I think my pick would be Dan Swanö, 'cause he's got a wide range and can also growl. I've seen so few Nightingale live videos (they perform so rarely anyway) that I have no clear idea how strong his live singing is, but he hasn't sounded too bad in any clips.

I also have to give a nod of approval to Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica), as his range is also impressive, and while he rarely screams or grunts outside of backing vocals, he can handle those types of vocals nicely as well. On top of that he's an entertaining frontman and consistent performer - I've never witnessed a weak performance by him.

Oh yeah, Dan definitely deserves a mention. Probably by favorite voice in death metal.

edit: also, the falsettos at the end of that video are insane. Where can I find that song?
Steel - Heavy Metal Machine

Steel was a tongue-in-cheek project by Dan and 3/4 of Opeth, you can read more about it here: https://www.unisound.se/book/black/#18

Offline Mladen

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 01:09:16 AM »
Bruce Dickinson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 03:16:47 AM »
Corey Taylor is a good all rounder - but he's really patchy live - always out of breath ( the mask probably doesn't help ) and forgets lyrics.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 03:46:48 AM »
I realize this is just a personal thing, but I would have really hard time considering someone for "best metal vocalist" if they don't do any type of harsh vocals.

Again, just me, but that's such a huge part of metal, at least the kind I listen to, that I can't really pick someone clean-only.

I definitely agree this. If we're talking singer with best range, than some form of harsh vocals pretty much have to be included. Otherwise you're voting with your heart and not your brain.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »
Somebody stop me.........  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 04:57:23 AM »
Well the thread is called best metal singer, and harsh vocals aren't singing, so it makes sense that many are voting that way, even though the OP touches upon growls. Plus that's one part of some sub-genres of recent metal, covering only part of metal history. It's in no way a prerequisite to be considered the best metal vocalist. I think it's a bit narrow minded to consider it that vital.

And being the best vocalist isn't about counting the number of vocal styles you can muster, it's about how good you are at it, so it has nothing to do with "voting with your heart", it's voting with your ears instead of voting with a checklist. Being a jack of all trades isn't something to aim for.

Most importantly to me, there are very few metal singers who do true harsh vocals that I'd call great singers to begin with. I listen to a lot more metal bands with straight up singers instead of growlers, but in my limited experience Christian Älvestam from Scar Symmetry is the only one I've heard worth mentioning. In the same way that some of you might not consider someone who can't growl, I wouldn't consider someone who isn't a great singer either. And I think growling is too subjective a technique to rank, even though there are elements such as depth and range that come into play.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:06:52 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 05:36:49 AM »
Well, yeah, if you want to say that harsh vocals aren't singing, then okay, but that's not what the OP is asking.

And I know that it's just me, but somebody who can do different styles well has a large bonus in my book, but in the end, it all comes down to personal opinion.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 05:55:22 AM »
In all seriousness though, I think my actual vote for best metal singer would go to either Midnight or Roy Khan. I love Bruce Dickinson a great deal, so he'd definitely be a top contender, but there's something of a transcendental quality to Midnight and Khan's voices.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 05:59:24 AM »
In all seriousness though, I think my actual vote for best metal singer would go to either Midnight or Roy Khan. I love Bruce Dickinson a great deal, so he'd definitely be a top contender, but there's something of a transcendental quality to Midnight and Khan's voices.

I can relate to that - I love Khan but he's more a favourite than "best" for me if you know what I mean.  Midnight was actually my first thought but I went with Blackie due to metal attitude as much as anything.  I could make arguments for half a dozen guys but Midnight is right up there and another sadly under rated vocalist.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 06:04:33 AM »
When I read all these discussions on what defines a metal singer I think of the discussion of that stupid dress and think that it's such a stupid discussion.  I've never seen so much thought into a simple answer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 06:27:42 AM »

Khan eliminated himself by quitting metal.  He is one of my favorite vocalist of all time though, definitely up there in terms of vocal abilities, but I couldn't vote for him because he chose to leave metal.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 07:38:45 AM »
Christian Alvestam

As blob said

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 08:40:05 AM »

Khan eliminated himself by quitting metal.  He is one of my favorite vocalist of all time though, definitely up there in terms of vocal abilities, but I couldn't vote for him because he chose to leave metal.

Oh please, if Khan's eliminated, then no one should dare bring in Geoff Tate into this debate. At least Khan had the decency to depart when he realized that his heart wasn't in it anymore and sought out to find his own personal peace. Tate's just a flat-out insult to metal these days.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »
Nice to see Midnight getting some mentions. Very underrated!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
Nice to see Midnight getting some mentions. Very underrated!

Very underrated indeed! I just love that silky, ethereal quality to Midnight's voice. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
Christian Alvestam

As blob said

Christian Alvestam

As blob said

Both of these guys are super underrated.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »
Christian Alvestam

As blob said

Christian Alvestam

As blob said

absolutely

:P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »
In addition to those, I also think Christian Alvestam is pretty underrated.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
He's so underrated, I've never heard if him! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 04:10:03 PM »
Christian Alvestam

As blob said

Christian Alvestam

As blob said

absolutely

:P

haha, meant to quote Jason's post about Midnight being underrated.

Scar Symmetry and Solution .45.  Half clean half growls, but just amazing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
Bruce Dickinson

Not only is he a beast of a singer but he puts on an amazing show every time he hits the stage.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline LordCost

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2015, 06:51:43 PM »
I would add Daniel Gildenlow (think only at what he can do on The Big Machine or Shore Serenity for example) and Einar Solberg to the list.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 07:12:27 PM »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2015, 09:09:17 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »

I don't think you'd both be into what he does.  He's mainly in the melodic death metal genre.  But the word death in the title doesn't really fit.  It's melodic metal with some growls, good stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2015, 03:39:53 AM »
Well the thread is called best metal singer, and harsh vocals aren't singing, so it makes sense that many are voting that way, even though the OP touches upon growls. Plus that's one part of some sub-genres of recent metal, covering only part of metal history. It's in no way a prerequisite to be considered the best metal vocalist. I think it's a bit narrow minded to consider it that vital.

And being the best vocalist isn't about counting the number of vocal styles you can muster, it's about how good you are at it, so it has nothing to do with "voting with your heart", it's voting with your ears instead of voting with a checklist. Being a jack of all trades isn't something to aim for.

Most importantly to me, there are very few metal singers who do true harsh vocals that I'd call great singers to begin with. I listen to a lot more metal bands with straight up singers instead of growlers, but in my limited experience Christian Älvestam from Scar Symmetry is the only one I've heard worth mentioning. In the same way that some of you might not consider someone who can't growl, I wouldn't consider someone who isn't a great singer either. And I think growling is too subjective a technique to rank, even though there are elements such as depth and range that come into play.
To play the devil's (growlie's) advocate:
1. Growls totally are singing, just a different technique. Most people agree that if you can't sing a note properly you can't growl it either. Regular ole harsh vocals are a bit different, but also take a lot of skills one could only develop by singing (timing, feel, fit, emoting, etc). Growls appear in or dominate all genres of metal except heavy, thrash, power and glam, and they cover the truly innovative part of metal from 1990 onwards, when it was thriving in the underground. So it seems that nowadays, if you're starting a metal band and you need a vocalist, there's about 70% chance that you'll need someone that also growls.

2. Like I said previously, growls are such a huge part of metal that being able to growl isn't being a jack of all trades, it's just something that goes with the territory.

3. No one really said anything about considering people who are good growlers but poor singers, it's just that dismissing growling as an important tool in a metal vocalist's arsenal dismisses most of metal. I am the first to consider good old Brucie and Ronnie to be the best metal singers of all time, but their era wasn't the only trailblazing era of metal, and there's a lot of other standards metal singers need to live up to.

And yeah, most of my choices would not be able to growl, but I get Shadow Ninja's sentiment.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2015, 08:11:13 AM »
Dev

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2015, 08:27:18 AM »
The next time my dog goes nuts when the UPS driver pulls into the driveway, I'm going to record it quick, and build a song around it.

None.

More.

Metal.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »
That chick from Steelheart.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 08:47:45 AM »
The next time my dog goes nuts when the UPS driver pulls into the driveway, I'm going to record it quick, and build a song around it.

None.

More.

Metal.
Plus he could sing about doing it Doggy Style and as much as you could probably help him with the lyrics, I bet he would be all set.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 08:48:33 AM »
 :lol  There don't need to be "lyrics".  He'll growl the whole song and I'll let the public interpret the "lyrics" as they may.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
:lol  There don't need to be "lyrics".  He'll growl the whole song and I'll let the public interpret the "lyrics" as they may.
:metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
so hipster yo