Author Topic: The TAC Roulette- Final Results!!!  (Read 101898 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette-Round 1 Results Posted!
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
Question to the Savatage experts. Who does Jon Oliva cite as influences?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2015, 01:13:20 PM »
Did you have a big affinity for classic prog stuff?

Jon Oliva: I love it. Yeah, that's my favorite music. I mean, I guess maybe that's when I was learning everything, I mean. Those bands like that, Yes, Queen, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, those are all...I mean, that's all I did when I was (laughs) a teenager and stuff. That's all I did was play to those records over and over, about 10 million times. Dude I played them so much I used to have to go out and buy doubles of the records cause I wore them out. So that's how I kinda learned how to play. Those guys were my teachers basically

https://www.rocknworld.com/morley/06/JonOliva.shtml

Who would you say are some of your favorite singers and also songwriters?

Jon:   Beatles, obviously. Freddie Mercury - the earlier Queen stuff I liked a lot. Man, there's so many. Pete Townsend is a brilliant songwriter. A lot of the Deep Purple. I mean, Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi, god, he's the hard rock riff master, he's the messiah. I don't think there would be heavy metal if it wasn't for Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath. They were very inspirational to me.

Sabbath was the band that turned me on to heavy music. Before I heard Sabbath, all I did was play the Beatle records and learn. The Beatles taught me how to sing and how to play instruments, but it was Sabbath that turned in to where we started cranking out songs like "Sirens" and "City Beneath the Surface" and things like that, which were waaaay heavier than anything we had ever done. They were like the teachers of the hard rock. And Deep Purple, as well. It was a very tough competition there going on with who I liked more. Some albums of Sabbath I liked better, then Deep Purple's album came out and I didn't like it as much. And then they would switch, the next Sabbath album would come out, and then they'd put another album out and I'd like that one better.

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/jon_oliva_of_trans-siberian_orchestra/
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »
Thanks Jonathan!

I ask because being a huge Alice Cooper fan, I totally hear an Alice influence in some of Jon's songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »

If you guys are interested, here are the tracks that were submitted. How do they look? Is this a good mix?
An extra half point to whoever ranks them as I do!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette-All Hail The Mighty Savatage!!
« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
Very split mix, and I don't think that will flow the best.  But Savatage are so varied in their work, it would be hard to get a solid consistent mix of all eras and only 10 songs.  Only one song from the Gutter Ballet/Streets combo, which is interesting.   4 from Edge of Thorns to, which shows the strength of the album.

I was wondering if anyone would go DWD/Magellan and obviously not.

Are we allowed to post our rankings here?  I'd rank them;

He Carves His Stone
Follow Me
Believe
Miles Away
Morphine Child
Strange Wings
Handful of Rain
By The Grace of the Witch
Lights Out
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »
Are we allowed to post our rankings here? 
Yes, please!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2015, 06:26:03 AM »
So why did Jon step to the background for Edge Of Thorns?
He was obviously very involved given that according to wiki, he played just about every instrument on Handful Of Rain?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2015, 06:45:11 AM »
Jon was very involved in those albums .........writer, player , co-producer etc...     From memory there were a number of reasons cited but mostly :

- he was having some vocal issues at the time
- he wanted to invest time in some side projects he was working on like Doctor Butcher and a musical called Romanov which AFAIK was never done and is to eventually be part of a TSO release.  I don't follow TSO closely so I may be wrong.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2015, 06:46:45 AM »

That never stopped him before! ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2015, 06:47:41 AM »
He was obviously very involved given that according to wiki, he played just about every instrument on Handful Of Rain?

I believe Jon's vocals just couldn't keep up with the touring schedule and he felt is was getting weaker over time.  I think he also felt a bit responsible for the band not breaking into a bigger market.  I think Zak's vox they thought might have more mainstream appeal.  I think all in all, Jon just wanted to take a backseat in the band.  I don't think there was anything major behind the whole thing really.

And yeah, Jon plays everything on HOR except the solos, done by Alex Skolnick.  That was more like a solo album for Jon I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »
Jon was very involved in those albums .........writer, player , co-producer etc...     From memory there were a number of reasons cited but mostly :

- he wanted to invest time in some side projects he was working on like Doctor Butcher and a musical called Romanov which AFAIK was never done and is to eventually be part of a TSO release.  I don't follow TSO closely so I may be wrong.

I guess this makes sense, but I didn't know it was a direct reason why he stepped down.  I'll have to read through the Edge of Thorns remaster booklet, it has the whole history behind the album.

Dark Master could probably fill us in though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2015, 06:51:30 AM »
From the horse's mouth (Jon's website)

Citing that he reached his musical peak with the release of Streets, Jon officially stepped down as lead singer for Savatage following the end of the album's tour in 1992. By stepping aside as lead singer, it allowed Jon more time to focus on other projects that were in development around that time, including "Romanov" and Doctor Butcher. Jon still remained a very important part of Savatage during the Edge of Thorns writing and recording processes, and helped select new singer Zak Stevens. Jon wrote and played on every song on the album, as well as being its co-producer with Paul O'Neill.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »
Yeah, I guess, I thought Doctor Butcher came out later than it did.  Then looked up and it was 1994 so makes perfect sense.

I swear I also remember reading that Jon thought his vox held the band reaching a wider audience and Zak might help their popularity.  Gotta look into that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2015, 06:56:43 AM »
That's quite an interesting transition. Zak is obviously a better singer, but do you think he lacks the personality in his voice that Jon has?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
do you think he lacks the personality in his voice that Jon has?

For sure............and Jon has quite a nice clean voice when he wants to.

I find Zak quite awkward in his lower register sometimes - almost sounds flat even though he's not.  I prefer him when he's belting it out in his upper register.

And I prefer the music during Jon's era too - Edge of Thorns aside .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »
I find Zak quite awkward in his lower register sometimes - almost sounds flat even though he's not.  I prefer him when he's belting it out in his upper register.
I don't know if I'd call it awkward or flat, but I always thought of it as generic.

That said, I am thoroughly enjoying every song and gaining a real appreciation for it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2015, 09:15:30 AM »
Tim is converting!!!!!!

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »

Hope you don't mind if I drop in to comment on this  :P

Jon blew his voice out during the Streets tour.  Toward the end, his voice started to give, and he would be hacking up blood on the side of the stage during and after shows.  At one point he literally lost his voice for a few days and couldn't even speak.  After a couple of doctor's appointments, he decided to step down as lead vocalist lest he loose his voice forever. 

That being said, it was always intended that once his voice was healed, he would come back, so when choosing a new singer, they deliberately wanted someone who sounded quite different, because eventually, they would have the two singers side by side.  Zak's smooth voice with his bluesy Southern drawl not only contrasted sharply to Jon's more screamy metal vocals, but hi more commercially palatable sound (and good looks; the ladies do love Zak) brought the band to their commercial peak with EOT.

Beyond that, though, Jon also wanted to use the time off to branch out into new projects.  He stated up Romanov (which evolved into TSO) during this period, and when his voice was strong enough to sing on an album (although still not ready for a full tour) he did the Doctor Butcher albums with Caffery.  It was intended that Jon and Caffery would rejoin the band together for the next album around 1995.

Unfortunately, Criss died, and that threw everything out of balance.  Jon sank into a deep depression, and was only pulled out of it by working with Paul on the next record.  Originally they just wanted to do one song (Alone You Breathe) as a tribute to Criss, but the label would only take a full album.  At the time, the rest of the band was so in shock from the death of Criss, they were not yet ready to do a new record.  For all intents and purposes, there was no band at the time, just Jon, so he just started recording everything himself.  He did everything but the lead vocals (he said they had to "bribe" Zak to come back) and some of the more technical guitar solos (Caffery had been asked, but Caffery was still not yet ready to step into Criss Oliva's shoes) so Alex Skolnik of Testament, who had been a friend of Criss, came in to fill that void, albeit only briefly. 

Eventually, Middleton made his way back to the band.  Wacholz only did promos and the music video for the title track.  Once it became obvious the record wasn;t going to be the success of EOT, he ditched Savatage, and Zak recommended Jeff Plate from his old band Wikked Witch.  Skolnik left after the tour, and Pitrellit was brought in as the new guitarist, forming the lineup that made Dead Winter Dead, The Wake of Magellan, and basically became TSO.  The rest they say is history...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2015, 10:51:29 AM »
Hope you don't mind if I drop in to comment on this  :P
No, not at all. Drop in anytime!

That was a great synopsis and I appreciate it. Definitely clears up the band's history for me.

Though I'm an old school metal fan, I have just never been into Savatage.
My first real experience with them was actually seeing them live, opening for Dio/Megadeth in late '87. I thought they were absolutely horrible, mainly the fat singer who just screamed uncontrollably for what felt like their entire set. He had this long purple cape or robe and I always referred to him as a possessed Barney, hence the :

...at the start of the round.

I remember playing the title track from Hall on my radio show in college, but I could never get past the live experience and vocals to get into the album. I didn't try real hard.

A few years ago, I downloaded their discog from a torrent site. I regret doing so because I believe that unless you buy or invest something into it, you really don't get much out of it. I tried Hall and Gutter Ballet and they still didn't do anything for me.
I will say that I thought their visions and ambitions were outstanding, but felt they didn't possess the chops to execute them. I actually felt the playing let down those albums.
I then sampled some Zak stuff, but it felt way too generic. At least those earlier albums had some flavor.
Believe it or not, most of their albums are still on my iPod. They've always been a click away from me.

But way too many people around here that I respect their musical tastes immensely swear by Savatage. I decided to dedicate a round to them in my Roulette. This way everyone could personally recommend a track, and tell me what they like about it. Nearly everyone has done so.

Tim is converting!!!!!!
Yes, it is happening. Not in love with them, but let's just say that we are officially courting. ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »
Interesting backstory as always Dark Master!  Nobody on earth is a bigger fan of Savatage then DM

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2015, 11:54:27 AM »

Tim is converting!!!!!!
Yes, it is happening. Not in love with them, but let's just say that we are officially courting. ;D

Cop a feel underneath the bleachers yet?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »
Um..

Quote from: Dictionary
Courting  def- Copping a feel underneath the bleachers

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
 :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »

I will say that I thought their visions and ambitions were outstanding, but felt they didn't possess the chops to execute them.

In all our discussions around Savatage ,that is the one thing I cannot understand.  Perhaps we have different definitions of "chops" but from my experience playing some of the songs I can tell you that on average the Savatage stuff was harder to play than your average Maiden or Van Halen track.  So from a guitaring viewpoint I have trouble understanding this "lack of chops" concept.

Are you referring more to songwriting chops.......turning the concepts into great songs?  That is very subjective and open to interpretation but , in my mind at least (if we're talking playing chops) , the musical talent of Criss in particular is less up for debate.

Hmm..........I'm hungry now with all this talk of chops.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:02 PM »
Are you referring more to songwriting chops.......turning the concepts into great songs?  That is very subjective and open to interpretation but , in my mind at least (if we're talking playing chops) , the musical talent of Criss in particular is less up for debate.
I can see that Chris Oliva is pretty good. I am getting that.
Maybe it's the vocals (Jon era). Maybe it's the drums. Maybe it's the production. I felt like maybe they were too much of a straightforward metal band to pull off what they were trying to do, and I'm looking at Streets and Gutter Ballet. Even a little of Hall.
Opinions are changing for sure, but I felt like when I heard those albums that there was something holding them back.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
Speaking from the viewpoint of one who had never dug into Savatage at all, I totally see what you mean Tim. In searching for a song for this roulette, I was fairly underwhelmed at everything I heard on first listen. Some of it did grow, and I've heard nothing but praises about Streets concept from my PPUSA friends where Jon performed it in it's entirety, but there was a certain roughness to it that did little for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
The vocals I can definitely understand being love/hate - both Zak and Jon .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »
As a teen I listened to them a lot.   Not touching them in decades I feel the same with RJ.  The vocals is what turn me off now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
As a teen I listened to them a lot.   Not touching them in decades I feel the same with RJ.  The vocals is what turn me off now.

As I read this, I want to say .."so you were a teen DECADES ago?" Then I remember we are the same age and I think  :facepalm:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »
Starting my write ups. If you wish you had sent a different song and would like to use your Wild Card, now would be the time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
My initial idea was to send Temptation Revelation - nice guitar piece and no vox to annoy anyone  :lol   But I thought it probably wasn't what you intended.  :angel:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:06:43 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
I'm surprised you didn't send me White Witch.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »
Tim is converting!!!!!!

Just wait until Round 5!!

Dark Master... you need to sign up and run a Savatage Discography Discussion thread.

Speaking from the viewpoint of one who had never dug into Savatage at all, I totally see what you mean Tim. In searching for a song for this roulette, I was fairly underwhelmed at everything I heard on first listen. Some of it did grow, and I've heard nothing but praises about Streets concept from my PPUSA friends where Jon performed it in it's entirety, but there was a certain roughness to it that did little for me.

Almost in the same boat.  I'd tried their albums off and on over the years since I first saw TSO in concert 7 years ago.  It was always enjoyable, and some of it even excellent - but I was rarely compelled to actively seek out listening to them.  I definitely prefer Zak over Jon vocally.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
I'm surprised you didn't send me White Witch.

I did consider that but thought it a bit one dimensional.  It's not easy picking songs with the knowledge that the target audience doesn't like the artist  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »
It's an awesome tune. That's the one I played a lot on my radio show. That and the title track.