Author Topic: The TAC Roulette- Final Results!!!  (Read 101854 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette-Round 4 is Open! Literally!
« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
Tim, you've probably said before, but what is it exactly that makes you dislike them so much?  Plenty of songs that could be sent, but the answer to this question could narrow things down.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »
Tim felt betrayed when Kip did that "Hunk Of The Month" pic - that's all you need to know Kade.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:31:59 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »
 :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #458 on: August 12, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »
Tim, you've probably said before, but what is it exactly that makes you dislike them so much?  Plenty of songs that could be sent, but the answer to this question could narrow things down.

I have said it, but I'll discuss it again when it's time.

I have never heard a lick after the first album, so I hope that narrows it down a bit. ;D

Tim felt betrayed when Kip did that "Hunk Of The Month" pic - that's all you need to know Kade.
Yup, I lost my favorite pair of red nut holders around 1988. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: August 12, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Okay, that helps and I'll wait for your writeup.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 12, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
If he ran off with your nut holders then maybe it meant more to him than you think  ;)

That's interesting about nothing after the first album - I tend to write off bands like that myself (only so much time) but on a couple of occasions I have been surprised to see how said written off band developed.  Imagine if you wrote off DT after WDADU and missed the best album ever.   Winger's 2nd album might be I&W Mach 2 for all you know  :lol I think it's clearly their worst.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #461 on: August 12, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
i listened to the first winger song that came up on youtube because i was curious

this is like bog-standard glam rock with nothing special about it

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #462 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »
   Winger's 2nd album might be I&W Mach 2 for all you know  :lol I think it's clearly their worst.

Umm..just NO!

this is like bog-standard glam rock with nothing special about it
Parama wins the round and he ain't even playing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: August 12, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
i've won more rounds in your roulette than bolsters'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #464 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:23 PM »
i've won more rounds in your roulette than bolsters'
:rollin

So anyway here's an update:

I will do my write ups when I get home from work Friday afternoon and will post then. Then the You Know What Round will officially be on.
I am reluctantly  ;D requesting the final three submissions by that time.

The Round 4 Open Round has been by far the weakest. I'm expecting MUCH better for the next open round. And I hope no one feels too restricted by the Live Round. It's essentially open, so if a band not on my iPod has a live album, go with it!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #465 on: August 12, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »

We're still waiting for Tim to point to the place where Kip touched him.

The Round 4 Open Round has been by far the weakest.

Guess we set the bar too high with rounds 1-3?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #466 on: August 12, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »

We're still waiting for Tim to point to the place where Kip touched him.

The Round 4 Open Round has been by far the weakest.

Guess we set the bar too high with rounds 1-3?

Lip = Catholic Priests to Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: August 12, 2015, 06:25:03 PM »
For the first time ever king I won't go near that  :lol

Lip = Catholic Priests to Tim.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: August 12, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »
Thinking the same thing! :rollin  :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »

Can't blame it on alcohol.

Or can I? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: August 14, 2015, 03:58:52 AM »
Round 4 Results when I get home from work. Waiting on 2 tracks for the next round.

Then it's time to break the internet.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: August 14, 2015, 03:59:44 AM »
No, then it's time to break you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:09 AM »

Don't forget guys......for the next open round , Kip has solo albums too  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:54 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2015, 04:34:38 AM »
Round 4 Results when I get home from work. Waiting on 2 tracks for the next round.

Then it's time to break the internet.

Looking forward to seeing your impressions, and whether anything grew on you.

As for breaking the internet, it could be from the shockwaves of you actually enjoying a Winger song... or seven.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:17 AM »
If that happens Chad, this would be my response.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #476 on: August 14, 2015, 05:48:59 AM »

As for this round, yeah things got a little better. Still the weakest by far though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: August 14, 2015, 06:04:16 AM »
Mayhap because this was our chance to take a chance... and some/most of us failed miserably.

Won't it be shocking if the Winger round is better than the Open round?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #478 on: August 14, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »
I can't even remember what I sent for the open round, and that's not a commentary on the pace of your roulette, I'm just old as hell and can't remember shit anymore.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2015, 08:33:09 AM »
I can't even remember what I sent for the open round, and that's not a commentary on the pace of your roulette, I'm just old as hell and can't remember shit anymore.

Well, no wonder you couldn't even remember what you received in your roulette 2 years ago!!!    :biggrin:

I shouldn't laugh too hard - the only reason I remember what I sent (in any roulette), is because I have a tracker spreadsheet.

:roulettenerd:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
I can't remember either. Must've been real good huh? :P

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2015, 08:53:46 AM »
I can't remember either. Must've been real good huh? :P

:'(

Well, no wonder you couldn't even remember what you received in your roulette 2 years ago!!!    :biggrin:

I shouldn't laugh too hard - the only reason I remember what I sent (in any roulette), is because I have a tracker spreadsheet.

:roulettenerd:

:|

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
If the Winger round scores better then the open round, I think we have some problems lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:48 AM »
If this happens, we can send more Winger in the next open round, I guess. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #484 on: August 14, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
OK, here are the Round 4 results. I think you guys really set the bar quite high in the first three rounds. At one point this week, I pulled out the Round 1 CD for a listen, so that tells you how I felt. I think some of you will be  :omg: at your scores, and I appreciate you guys sending me some of your favorites, but if you strayed too far from my comfort zone, it may not have worked.

Anyway..here it is:

Round 4

jjrock88 – Queen City Kids – Girls

This is a quirky little song. Its chorus is fairly catchy but it’s repeated too often. Has a nice hook. But I think there’s a reason this band is obscure. I’m sure you’ve been listening to this song a long time and have lots of good times attached to it, but honestly, I’m not sure if I heard this in 1982 that I would pay it any attention. Should've sent Blondie!

senecadawg2 – Ayreon-Isolation

Aryeon is one of those bands that I see thrown around here quite  a bit. I’m glad someone sent me one of their tracks. But I was expecting to be blown away, but I just wasn’t. I liked the instrumental part quite a bit. Pretty Pink Floyd-ish to me. Sometimes too many voices get in the way for me. It did get better on subsequent listens but I found myself trying too hard to get into it. Love James though. It’d be awesome to see him on an Avantasia album.

Lonestar – Silent Memorial – The Darkest Hour

This is a band that I’ve checked on in the past and are on The List. This tune grew a lot over the course of the week. I really started to get the subtleties in this. I am definitely interested in this album. If this is the best song on the album, I might be disappointed, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Kingshmegland – Teramaze – Transhumanist

Read Lonestar’s write up!

b5150 – Crystal Eyes – Shadow Rider

On first listen this was the track of the round. In fact, I left it alone for most of the round as I was trying to digest everything else. Classic Maiden inspired metal here. The dual guitars are eerily similar to Maiden, and the nod to Bruce’s Darkside Of Aquarius right before the solo was obvious. Definitely right in my wheelhouse.

Jingle.boy – Flaming Row – Unearth The Truth

Well, I know how much you love this song, so you might want to stop reading here. First, this is a beautifully done song. Very deep and captivating. But it only seemed to work if I sat down and simply tried to lose myself in it.  I feel like I need to hear more around it, but as a stand alone song, this isn’t something I’d go back to. Again, I felt like I was trying to hard to like it. I’d be interested to hear something a bit heavier from this album and would certainly follow up any recs you may have.

Big Hath – Epysode –Obsessions

Read Kingshmegland’s write up!

Wolfking – Borealis – Revelation

This is the kind of song that is very easy on the ears. Heavy, Catchy, melodic. It grew on me and eventually caught Brent’s song. I looked forward to it when it came on and will look for this album. While it did score well here, I thought it was a pretty safe track from you Wolfie.

Evermind – The Answer – Raise A Little Hell

Oh Evermind, this just didn’t work with me. I have a hard time with mid tempo plodding rockers unless there is something spectacular going with it, like a great vocal. But this song plods along and doesn’t really do anything else. I did think the harmonica/guitar solo was cool, but that was really about it.

Updated Standings:

Senecadawg2-35.0
Kingshmegland-35.0
Wolfking-35.0
b5150-34.5
Lonestar-34.0
Jingle.boy-34.0
Big Hath-33.5
Evermind-33.5
jjrock88-32.5

Only 2.5 points separate first and last place.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: August 14, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »

That's because only 1.5 points is the difference between "right in my wheel-house" and "just didn't work for me".  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The TAC Roulette-Round 4 Results up!
« Reply #486 on: August 14, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
it's time  :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: August 14, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »
So now we get to see Tim lose his mind. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: August 14, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »

That's because only 1.5 points is the difference between "right in my wheel-house" and "just didn't work for me".  :biggrin:
Right!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #489 on: August 14, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
The highlight of the album is the 24 minute ass whoopingof a ttitle track, Retrospective. Have at it man..