Author Topic: Native Construct - Quiet World (riyl: Between the Buried and Me..DT/PoS)  (Read 8163 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

1. Mute
2. The Spark of the Archon
3. Passage
4. Your Familiar Face
5. Come Hell or High Water
6. Chromatic Lights
7. Chromatic Aberration

Listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQPCowmbD8

Pretty well composed debut album from this prog metal band which was formed by some Berklee students a few years ago.

Very Symphonic at points.

https://www.metalblade.com/nativeconstruct/

Robert Edens: Vocals
Myles Yang: Guitar
Max Harchik: Bass

Native Construct is the product of collaboration between several students that began in 2011 at the storied Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. Fueled by a desire to breathe new life into the modern metal genre, Native Construct artfully blends a wide spectrum of compositional influences, ranging from classical all the way to prog metal and musical theatre. The result is a wonderfully unique sonic texture, made up of extended-range guitars, theatrical vocals, and a full complement of symphonic instrumentation. Guitarist and composer Myles Yang's passion for innovation, coupled with his extensive academic study of arranging and compositional techniques, makes Native Construct a truly distinctive up-and-coming metal act.

In 2014, the band's music caught the ear of Brian Slagel at Metal Blade Records, and led to a recording contract and a worldwide release of the band's debut album, Quiet World. The album promises to be a rich, vibrant, and aurally engaging musical experience. While following a musically programmatic approach to its storytelling, the album demonstrates a fascinating unification of numerous musical styles and provides an emotional journey through the vast and imaginative world Native Construct have envisioned.

Quiet World was largely self-produced and written between 2011 and 2013 in between the individual band members' studies at the Berklee College of Music. What began as jam sessions simply for fun eventually turned into a full-fledged musical endeavor. All tracking and programming was done at the band's home studios in Boston, MA, with the exception of vocals, which were recorded with Jamie King at The Basement Studios in Winston-Salem, NC. The album was mixed by Rich Mouser at The Mouse House Studio in Los Angeles, CA, and mastered by Jamie King.

A brief listen to Quiet World is enough to make it apparent that there is a concept, here. Though it's best to let the band explain the album in their own words: "Quiet World is about a guy who loves a girl. The guy is a bit of an odd and eccentric person - an outcast. He's also a mute, and a little unstable, as it turns out. The girl doesn't return his feelings, but he can't bring himself to let go. As his unrequited passion for her devolves into obsession and eventual resentment, his mind begins to slip further and further away. He convinces himself that he can't be loved because of his condition and abnormalities. So he decides to create for himself a new, fantastic world of which he has complete control - a world where there are no oddballs or outcasts. A world where everyone is surrounded by people who are just like themselves: a much quieter world.

"It's at this point that the first track of the album, "Mute," begins. And it turns out that many of the subjects of his new world are not as content living this way as he is. In the second track we see a new character, the Archon, rise up and unite his people in the clouds with the once distant people in the sea. He leads an opposition to "Sinister Silence," as the people come to call him. The rest of the album unfolds with events within the "Quiet World" and manifestations of the enduring struggle between the Archon and Sinister Silence. The lone exception is track number four, "Your Familiar Face," which steps out of this world for a moment to give a closer look at the events prior to the first track and the tragedy of Sinister Silence."

What is impressive about Native Construct is not necessarily an involved concept on a debut record, it's that they wrote, produced, and recorded the album while balancing school work and on a college student budget. It's the epitome of "self produced." And what Native Construct wants fans to know is that "the composition process for this album was intensely meticulous from top to bottom. Each note, each lyric, each twist and each turn were arrived at with the utmost care. As such, we were able to weave rich, often subtle layers of meaning into the music and text. We're very excited for you all to experience the result of our efforts!"

Offline SoundscapeMN

album came out yesterday. Anyone check it out?

This really should appeal to many prog metal fans around here to be honest.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Sounds like something I could dig. I'll check it out when I'm back home.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Newmz

really a phenomenal album. I'm still processing it and I need to listen to it again to really be able to say what I like so much about it, though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
So I just finished my first listen of this. I definitely liked it, but I'll have to revisit it to say anything beyond that.

EDIT: This is great. Awesome musicianship. This is definitely Top 3 of the year so far, thanks Soundscape!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:15:16 AM by Scorpion »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I see the same responses to this album everywhere  :lol

People post a message after hearing it for the first time:  "Yeah, it's OK"

Then a couple of days later after a few more spins:  "Wow, this thing is pretty great!"

A week after that: "OMFGTHISISAMAZING!!!11!!"

:rollin

This album is the poster child for the validity of PapaJim's famous PRAT or Prog Rock Acid Test.  Any prog album worth listening to will require multiple listens to fully appreciate it.  In most cases I'd consider 5 full spins to be a solid PRAT.

So, with that said, after subjecting this album to the PRAT, I'm giving it 4.5 stars (on a 5 point scale)

Essential album for serious prog metal fans.

For those wondering about the vocals - they're predominantly clean.  Just a few grunts and growls here and there. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah, what KNH said. The more I listen to this, the more I love it. Awesome album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Must.
Not.
Listen.

I don't want to overplay it! But it's too good not to keep listening to it!!

:biggrin:

Seriously, though, I love the adventurous spirit to this thing.   Really slick and polished sounding but not in a contrived, pretentious way. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else get a "Remedy Lane"-era Pain of Salvation vibe from this?  Just an influence, but someone in this band must dig them some old-school PoS  :hefdaddy

Offline Newmz

it really has gotten better with every listen.

I feel like the mix leaves a little to be desired, though... I feel like it lacks a little low-end.

I want to stress that I am not a bass junkie, but I feel like some parts of the album could be so much more powerful with a bit more oomph. I feel like the last track is a good example for that.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Well if Soundscape and Barry like this, I guess I'm going to have to add it to my Amazon order...and done.

Offline jammindude

Local musician from local prog rock band Odd Logic (shameless plug...check em out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Tos62Napw ) just sent me a link to the Native Construct album and I will echo everyone else's words.  I've only heard it once, and I'm totally digging it.   Going to listen again today.   Very much a Between the Buried and Queen Theater vibe. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Queen Theater sounds like a totally awesome band.  I'll have to check them out.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
BTBAM meets DT meets Remedy Lane era POS?!
where do i sign up?!   :corn

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member

Here.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Really enjoyed this album. Definitely one of the better prog albums I've heard in the past few years, and the musicianship is just out of this world. Love the harmonies, too.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Very fun album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DT.net Veteran

Here.

*11 days and 25 spins later*...

Thanks! if this is pretty much all I wanna hear these days, I guess that means I like it.
Apparently they've got a drummer lined up for a tour. With a heavy BTBAM connection, I wonder if it could be Blakey.

also, it's kinda put me in a Shadow Gallery and Ice Age - Liberation mood this week. but I guess Dream Theater Is the default comparison for the 'traditional prog metal' aspect of their sound, right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Been spinning this a lot over the past weeks. Insanely good. Haven't had such a crush on a band since I discovered Haken.
I was sold on the band* immediately, but I wasn't sure about the album at first. Even though I'm used to BTBAM, it took three or four spins to fully digest the insanity and appreciate it, although I still think they will write even better albums in the future.
Being strongly influenced by BTBAM, I think they managed to surpass them on this debut already.

*if you want to call it a band, it's three guys playing only guitar/bass and doing the rest via their laptops
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:00:25 PM by me7 »

• DT.net Veteran
to be fair, the romance hasn't worn off, but...
somethin about this record has that 'greatest album OAT' feel to it.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
I discovered this band a few weeks ago and I think Chromatic Aberration may just be my favorite song ever (at the moment).

:hefdaddy

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i think this is okay, i'll probably listen again at some point but it didn't really grab me in any way

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not bad, and I could see them doing something great on a future album.  Nothing spectacular though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I'm finally listening to the song linked in the OP, and it's really good so far. Definitely better than any prog metal I've heard in a while. I really love the vocal approach; it actually reminds a lot of Steam Powered Giraffe.

So I'll probably check out the whole album soon.

Oh just got to the end, apparently there are harsh vocals too. Awesome. :metal

Offline LordCost

I finally listened to this album, and after two/three listens the only songs I remember are Mute and Your Familiar Face and they are both excellent. I imagine that when I will learn all the songs this will be in my top 3 albums of this year.
Only during "Mute" I noticed influences or similarities to bands like BTBAM (at 0:26-0:33 they came in my mind instantly), Mr Bungle (1:29-1.36 during the shift from the first metal section), The Human Abstract of Digital Veil (especially in the clean vocals on 4:50-5:20), Unexpect for the avantgarde approach, for the production and the style of songwriting with a lot of ideas in only one song, and around the third minute there's even a funny part that reminds me some contemporary pop artists... This song is fantastic!

Offline Newmz

Re: Native Construct - Quiet World (riyl: Between the Buried and Me..DT/PoS)
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
I saw them two days ago in Cambridge, MA. They were phenomenal! they had 5 people playing - a drummer, vocals, two guitars, and bass. one of the guitarists and the drummer are just touring with them, if I recall correctly. All really nice guys too.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
I know Josh posted it in his interviews topic, but for those who didn't see it, here's a link to his interview with them at ProgPower USA last weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skvbMn_aVio

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/NativeConstruct/photos/a.193968140710293.43841.178294082277699/882802421826858/?type=3&pnref=story

this sucks.

Bad news incoming:

We were just robbed in San Antonio, Texas.

We came back from In N Out to two people in our van, tossing our backpacks (with our laptops, passports, and other valuables inside) as well as Poh Hock's new Strandberg Boden OS 8 into their car parked alongside to conceal the break-in, which occurred in a Home Depot parking lot in broad daylight.

The guitar is pictured below. Any help in the form of shares, etc to get the word out about this unique guitar (in case it shows up in any pawn shops in the San Antonio area) is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, this also means we will likely not be able to make it to the Canada dates on this tour due to our passports being gone. Sorry, everyone.

#ComaEclipticTourIII

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
Yea, I just read that this morning on facebook, really sucks, also sad for the canada fans. Glad to see that people are helping them out by looking for the serial numbers and stuff though, and no harm in sharing the post for awareness, that is, if you live anywhere near the area.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 08:29:32 AM »
This seems like an all too common occurrence these days - at least 4 or 5 times a year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »
Saw that on FB as well. Just a shitty thing to happen to anybody.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 08:57:03 AM »
means it's happened twice in a few weeks to two of the bands that cracked my top two albums of the year the past couple years :-(

sounds like NC even kinda saw it going down...what's a person even s'posed do in the USA if you see someone robbing you...let it happen cuz you might get shot for intervening and defending your gear?

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Dang this is an awesome record! It took a while to get going but damn..
I really hope that these guys will get a full blown line up with drums and keybaords, because they are already capable of doing miracles just in three.. imagine in five.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 06:53:33 PM »
if I recall, they were a 5-piece live.