Author Topic: Lana Del Rey  (Read 4783 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Lana Del Rey
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 03:31:20 PM »

Honeymoon is a little harder to get into imo. I'd check out Born To Die next...Ultraviolence is my favorite of hers, but I honestly feel like BTD is her masterpiece. Also, the song Ride from her Paradise EP is absolutely stunning.

Always good to get recommendations, thanks!!  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2022, 07:49:42 PM »
New album coming in March.  :tup :tup

https://pitchfork.com/news/lana-del-rey-announces-new-album-shares-new-song-listen/

Norman F'ing Rockwell has been one of my most-listened-to albums of the last few months, and I am really digging Ultraviolence now as well.  Just bought Born to Die, which is supposed to be another good one, so looking forward to that.  Something about her style is just really endearing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2022, 08:00:53 PM »
Still not fully onboard with her, but I've found a few other songs of her's I like in the past year, so it'll be interesting to experience a new album in a more amenable state of mind now. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2022, 02:21:54 AM »
She's my favorite female recording artist of the moment.  You've have a ton of fun with 'Born To Die' - especially if you get the extended Paradise version.  There are some of her best tracks on it, but as she's still lets say in the creation process of Lana some of the songs are......lesser (even a couple of baby voice ones).

Think if I was ranking the albums so far...

1. Norman
2. Lust For Life (Underrated - 2 absolutely awful tracks smack in the middle often take away from how great the rest is).
3. Born To Die/Paradise.
4. Blue Banisters.
5. Ultra Violence.
6. Chemtrails.
7. Honeymoon.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2022, 02:59:22 AM »
Lana Del Rey is also my favorite female recording artist and has been for about 8 years now. Chemtrails didn't resonate that much with me and Blue Banisters took its time. But by now I absolutely love it. It's one of those albums you have to listen to on vinyl. It comes up with a completely different atmosphere on that format.

Honeymoon and Norman Fucking Rockwell! are my two favorite albums by Lana, I can never decide which one of those two stunning pieces of music I like better. Lust For Life is also very underrated.

I am very excited for the new album. Crazy how productive this woman is! The album title is also awesome  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2022, 03:11:47 AM »
Lana Del Rey is also my favorite female recording artist and has been for about 8 years now. Chemtrails didn't resonate that much with me and Blue Banisters took its time. But by now I absolutely love it. It's one of those albums you have to listen to on vinyl. It comes up with a completely different atmosphere on that format.

Honeymoon and Norman Fucking Rockwell! are my two favorite albums by Lana, I can never decide which one of those two stunning pieces of music I like better. Lust For Life is also very underrated.

I am very excited for the new album. Crazy how productive this woman is! The album title is also awesome  :lol

Ever gone down the rabbit hole of checking out her unreleased tracks?  Appariently there is well over 100 songs out there, and some are supposedly amazing.  I haven't checked them out myself, but one day I may.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2022, 05:55:40 AM »
She's my favorite female recording artist of the moment. You've have a ton of fun with 'Born To Die' - especially if you get the extended Paradise version.  There are some of her best tracks on it, but as she's still lets say in the creation process of Lana some of the songs are......lesser (even a couple of baby voice ones).

Funny you mention that because I listened to about half of it last night before I got too tired and had to go to sleep, and (I guess what you called) her baby voice threw me off in a few songs.  Not sure I liked that at all, but it may just take getting used to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2023, 07:38:42 PM »
A song from the forthcoming album was released this week. American Whore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu6XpeHCZxo

Very nice song.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2023, 02:43:31 AM »
Forthcoming album? didn't she just release an album, like, a couple of months ago? at the earliest last summer? the one with Arcadia which, for the record, is a pretty awesome and enchanting song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2023, 06:16:07 AM »
Forthcoming album? didn't she just release an album, like, a couple of months ago? at the earliest last summer? the one with Arcadia which, for the record, is a pretty awesome and enchanting song.

Blue Bannisters, which I still need to check out in full, came out 16 months ago. ;)

The new one comes out next month:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Did_You_Know_That_There%27s_a_Tunnel_Under_Ocean_Blvd

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2023, 10:53:22 AM »
Wow, time flies!

Gonna check out the single then, as I said Arcadia was great and also the title track was quite good. She's quite prolific I'd say!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2023, 12:00:00 PM »
Blue Banisters took quite some time to click with me.

It's one of those albums that develop a completely different atmosphere on vinyl than on headphones and your phone. That might be the case for all LDR albums because her music is nostalgic and old school by design but somehow the format really made difference with this album in particular.

Anyway, the title track is wonderful and Arcadia is just... hauntingly beautiful. LDR never fails to move me. Chemtrails was her weakest album since Ultraviolence for me, but still good. Blue Banisters was a step up, even with some strange production and arrangement choices (Dealer, If You Lie Down).

Very excited for Ocean Blvd! I think it will be the perfect spring album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
I remember that Arcadia song being gorgeous when I saw the video, but I didn't see much chatter about the album, so it just got lost in the shuffle for me.  I will have to pick that one up soon.

Offline DTA

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2023, 05:11:08 PM »
I really need to check out post-Lust For Life LDR. Born To Die is a top 10 album for me, ad I love UV, but I have to be in such a specific mood to listen to her music and that mood only seems to come around for a few weeks per year.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2023, 02:07:03 AM »
Blue Banisters took quite some time to click with me.

It's one of those albums that develop a completely different atmosphere on vinyl than on headphones and your phone. That might be the case for all LDR albums because her music is nostalgic and old school by design but somehow the format really made difference with this album in particular.

Anyway, the title track is wonderful and Arcadia is just... hauntingly beautiful. LDR never fails to move me. Chemtrails was her weakest album since Ultraviolence for me, but still good. Blue Banisters was a step up, even with some strange production and arrangement choices (Dealer, If You Lie Down).

Very excited for Ocean Blvd! I think it will be the perfect spring album.

I think Blue Banisters is one of her better albums - Living Legend, Arcadia, Thunder and If You Lie Down with Me are 4 outstanding tracks, and their are plenty of other good ones on there too.  Agree with Chemtrails being weaker, that and Honeymoon are her weakest for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2023, 06:19:59 PM »
I really need to check out post-Lust For Life LDR. Born To Die is a top 10 album for me, ad I love UV, but I have to be in such a specific mood to listen to her music and that mood only seems to come around for a few weeks per year.

I find that I am liking mellow more and more as I get older, and her music really helps fill that spot.  Normal F'ing Rockwell is a great morning album when you just want to relax and ease into your day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2023, 02:26:26 PM »
Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd is now out!  Really liking it so far after two listens.  She does this particular style so damn well.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2023, 02:59:59 PM »
Listened to this album twice on a road trip w my son who is a massive Lana Del Rey fan.  I cannot say I 'get it', but there are a few interesting bits that caught my attention.   I'm sure I'll have to listen again on the way home Monday - nice to see some fans around here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2023, 10:19:17 AM »
Listened to this album twice on a road trip w my son who is a massive Lana Del Rey fan.  I cannot say I 'get it', but there are a few interesting bits that caught my attention.   I'm sure I'll have to listen again on the way home Monday - nice to see some fans around here.

It's a long album, but the highlights so far seem pretty excellent.  Will take more listens for me to get my head totally around it as a whole.  The Norman Rockwell album didn't full click with me at first, but eventually its full greatness revealed itself, and I won't be shocked if this has a similar trajectory. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2023, 09:09:18 AM »
This is one I'm struggling with.  Lot of songs meander fairly aimlessly and the two interludes I'll never listen to again ever.  It's not all bad Candy Necklace and Let the Light in are great and there are a few others with potential, but overall this one will be down with Honeymoon and Chemtrails as her lesser albums for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2023, 12:05:55 PM »
This is one I'm struggling with.  Lot of songs meander fairly aimlessly and the two interludes I'll never listen to again ever.  It's not all bad Candy Necklace and Let the Light in are great and there are a few others with potential, but overall this one will be down with Honeymoon and Chemtrails as her lesser albums for me.

Candy Necklace feels like a home run.  That song alone has made this a worthy purchase already.  There are definitely quite a few tracks that are a blur for me early on, but I will keep at it.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2023, 12:37:56 PM »
I usually never write anything about a new album until I have listened to it a couple of times. But I am currently on side A of this album and wow these first three songs are so gorgeous.

I didn't listen to any singles as usual. But this time I didn't listen to the album on Apple Music either - instead I waited until today when my vinyl LP arrived. Because when I first listened to Blue Banisters for the first time on my phone with headphones, I liked but didn't love it. And when I put on the album on vinyl weeks later, it "clicked" on a whole different level.

So now I am on side A and the songs are just wonderful until now. Yes, I am a Lana fanboy but I am still able to criticize her. For example, Chemtrails was not one of her weakest albums for me and I rarely come back to it - despite an awesome album name, a few beautiful songs and a great Joni Mitchell cover (by the way, David Crosby covered the same song on his final album, sorry I digress). Blue Banisters was a big step up for me, despite some peculiar production choices, as I mentioned in a post a few weeks back.

So, I usually don't write anything DURING my first spin of an album, but this time I had to. I am now through with side A, A&W was a pretty awesome change of sound. Will turn the first record over now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2023, 08:05:22 PM »
I usually never write anything about a new album until I have listened to it a couple of times. But I am currently on side A of this album and wow these first three songs are so gorgeous.

I didn't listen to any singles as usual. But this time I didn't listen to the album on Apple Music either - instead I waited until today when my vinyl LP arrived. Because when I first listened to Blue Banisters for the first time on my phone with headphones, I liked but didn't love it. And when I put on the album on vinyl weeks later, it "clicked" on a whole different level.

So now I am on side A and the songs are just wonderful until now. Yes, I am a Lana fanboy but I am still able to criticize her. For example, Chemtrails was not one of her weakest albums for me and I rarely come back to it - despite an awesome album name, a few beautiful songs and a great Joni Mitchell cover (by the way, David Crosby covered the same song on his final album, sorry I digress). Blue Banisters was a big step up for me, despite some peculiar production choices, as I mentioned in a post a few weeks back.

So, I usually don't write anything DURING my first spin of an album, but this time I had to. I am now through with side A, A&W was a pretty awesome change of sound. Will turn the first record over now.

I still need to check out Blue Banisters - what would you say the standouts songs are from that one?

As for the new one, there are definitely some average songs, but the good songs are really excellent. I can think of 6-7 songs I would call legitimately great.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
I wouldn't say that I'm a huge Lana Del Rey fan, but just finished listening to the new album, and it's really good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2023, 03:30:29 PM »

I still need to check out Blue Banisters - what would you say the standouts songs are from that one?

I'd say Living Legend, Arcadia, Thunder and If You Lie Down with Me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2023, 08:01:44 PM »

I'd say Living Legend, Arcadia, Thunder and If You Lie Down with Me.

Cool. I will check those out. Thanks!

I wouldn't say that I'm a huge Lana Del Rey fan, but just finished listening to the new album, and it's really good.

:tup :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2023, 09:52:10 PM »

As for the new one, there are definitely some average songs, but the good songs are really excellent. I can think of 6-7 songs I would call legitimately great.

I think Arcadia is the highlight of that album for me - I feel like out of all the good songs found on every LDR release, there is always that one song standing out, maybe sometimes two. Arcadia is that song on Blue Banisters.

Other standouts of the album for me are the title track, Violets For Roses and Nectar Of The Gods. But as always, I recommend just listening to the whole thing and lose yourself in its flow ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2023, 06:11:43 AM »
Okay, thanks!  I will likely check out the whole album, but I always like recs as selling points, so this helps.  :tup :tup

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2023, 09:32:17 PM »
Bought the new album and will listen at some point next week. Listened to A&W and liked it a lot. :tup

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2023, 01:51:07 AM »
Finding the new album rather mixed.  When it's good it's very good - Title Track, Texas Paris, Let the Light in, Margaret (the standout for me).  Also Taco Truck x VB is great - but I would prefer it if we heard all of Taco Truck because it sounds great from the small sample we get, and as great as Venice Bitch is we've already got it on NFR.  'Peppers' is a lot of fun and 'The Grants' would be great if it dumped the first minute and 'Kintsugi' takes to long to get going but is generallt good.   On the Flipside the two interludes are painful 'Sweet' is one piano ballad too many.  'Fingertips' annoys me and 'Fishtail' is a mess and I don't like the second half of 'A&W' much either.  I thought 'Candy Necklace' was a standout on first listen but on repeats it's drifting down the list due to way it drags on.

Good album, but not one of her best for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2023, 07:27:56 PM »
Finding the new album rather mixed.  When it's good it's very good - Title Track, Texas Paris, Let the Light in, Margaret (the standout for me).  Also Taco Truck x VB is great - but I would prefer it if we heard all of Taco Truck because it sounds great from the small sample we get, and as great as Venice Bitch is we've already got it on NFR.  'Peppers' is a lot of fun and 'The Grants' would be great if it dumped the first minute and 'Kintsugi' takes to long to get going but is generallt good.   On the Flipside the two interludes are painful 'Sweet' is one piano ballad too many.  'Fingertips' annoys me and 'Fishtail' is a mess and I don't like the second half of 'A&W' much either.  I thought 'Candy Necklace' was a standout on first listen but on repeats it's drifting down the list due to way it drags on.

Good album, but not one of her best for me.

I don't agree with everything here, but I think we likely have a similar sentiment that a couple songs could have been left off and the overall quality would have improved.  But yeah, the good stuff is damn good.