Author Topic: Terminator franchise  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Terminator franchise
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
T1 - 10/10
T2 - 10/10
T3 - 0/10
T4 - 7/10
T5 - 8.5/10

I don't really have anything against salvation honestly, I'm just kind of indifferent toward it. Just doesn't really feel like a terminator movie. More phased plasmsa riffles please, gotta have me some purple lazors.

And T5 will never rank up there with god level movies like T1 and T2, but I think its a lot of fun and tries to do right by the first two. So its A OK in my book.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »
I've not seen one good critic's review of Genisys - but a lot of fans seem to like it - so i might go and see it this week :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:05 PM »
I've not seen one good critic's review of Genisys - but a lot of fans seem to like it - so i might go and see it this week :)

Take in to account that Face/Off has a rotten tomato rating of 91%. I don't think we should listen to professional film critics anymore.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2015, 12:01:47 AM »

It's not perfect, and there are plenty of little things I'd change, but all in all, I think this is a movie that is made for Terminator fans. I guess if you're not a big scifi / Terminator fan, it's not going to have much appeal, but I think it's a lot better than the reviews are giving it credit for.
Luckily I don't care about reviews, because that's just some other dude's opinion. There are plenty of universally praised movies that I think are awful, and lots of panned movies that I enjoyed the hell out of.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
Ok I saw it tonight and yeah I actually really enjoyed it.

Really good CGI and action scenes where you can see what's going on.

Arnie is great in it as ever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2015, 12:02:11 AM »

I was expecting you were going to pick it to pieces (you know, like me with new Star Trek :lol ). Glad you enjoyed it! It seems as if fans are liking this a lot more than the reviewers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2015, 02:33:27 AM »
Nah. I'm not the kind of modern cinema goer who watches a film like :angry: Well. let's see what you did WRONG, movie !!!!

I want to be entertained primarily. And it was a lot better than I was expecting. I liked the tone of it. The opening scene in the future with Connor and Reece entering Skynet was great.

Arnie was awesome too. He's not the greatest actor in the world but he's extremely likeable and is perfect in this role.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2015, 02:36:33 AM »
I've always said that a robot is the part he was born to play. :lol He got to be a little bit more human in this one though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2015, 03:12:58 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing his film Maggie - to see if he can really do serious acting.

In things like True Lies and Total Recall  - he's perfectly fine. He's not a *dreadful* actor.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2015, 05:54:38 AM »
Terminator is great and everything, but another Arnold film will always have my heart:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
I really love Twins....

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »
I really love True Lies

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline PetFish

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 04:24:32 PM »

Awesome.

Now that I've thought about it more, you know how he says "old, not obsolete" a number of times, I actually *felt* it... like he was really kinda melancholy about "growing old" even though he's a machine or something.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
I loved that scene where he and Kyle are loading bullets into clips and he bangs his malfunctioning hand and actually looks sad about it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
Just back from seeing the new Terminator..............aside from the obvious timeline quirks I thought it was well done overall.  I don't find Jai Courtney the most convincing of actors but he was okay .  There was a time when a certain bad dude who is basically indestructible was knocked down and didn't bother to re-enter the fray for about 10 mins (maybe I missed something) but on the whole it all stood up pretty well.  The CGI was mostly very well done , Arnie was really good - as were most of the cast.

Like most I think it might be around 3rd best of the franchise so far.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »
Just back from seeing the new Terminator..............aside from the obvious timeline quirks I thought it was well done overall.  I don't find Jai Courtney the most convincing of actors but he was okay .  There was a time when a certain bad dude who is basically indestructible was knocked down and didn't bother to re-enter the fray for about 10 mins (maybe I missed something) but on the whole it all stood up pretty well.  The CGI was mostly very well done , Arnie was really good - as were most of the cast.

Like most I think it might be around 3rd best of the franchise so far.

I'd put it third without contest (I have no delusion of any Terminator movie topping T1/T2 at this point, so third ain't bad).
Jai Courtney was one of my biggest casting concerns from the start, but he was fine. I was not sold on the guy who played John Connor though. Nothing against him as an actor, but I didn't think he fit the part.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:06 AM »
I think I'll wait for the blu-ray after reading everyones review. Question though, about the trailer/spoiler issue.  I understand why you would purposely avoid some of the huge movie trailers, where they spew out like 3-4 of them.  But if you're a movie goer you probably won't be able to avoid the main ones shown at the theaters.  I think it should be solely on the movie makers to make them as "Spoil Free" as possible. The worst spoiler I ever did was Revenge of the Sith.  I inadvertently read a blog that has the whole script outline in it months before the movie came out.  I honestly thought it was a fan guestimation blog.  :lol  In the grand scheme of things it didn't ruin the movie at all for me.

As far as the Terminator franchise ..... I like 1, Love 2, enjoyed 3, and 4 I can barely remember.  Am looking forward to the blu-ray for 5!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
Yes, spoilers are getting more and more difficult to avoid, but man, let me tell you, if you *can* avoid them as much as possible you will be floored when you're actually seeing it.

I've seen the last few big movies with minimal knowledge (ie. just looking at the official trailers, avoiding TV commercials and Internets as much as possible), which means I've been actively avoiding spoilers for like a year.

I AM LOVING IT

I've even gotten to the point of "unfollowing" friends that have a tendency to spoil things, even by accident.

Sure, there are many that want to know everything, and that's fine, but try your best to avoid stuff, I can confidently guarantee that you'll enjoy yourself more, even if you end up NOT liking it and losing $20, the risk vs reward is totally worth it.

Next up:  Fantastic Four, then Hunger Games, then *drool* STAR WARS!!!!!!!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2015, 01:41:26 AM »
I have quite recently started to actively avoid spoilers. I don't even watch trailers or look at casting news or official photoes. Nothing. It has yet to pay off since I started so recently, but I'm hoping it'll be great once all the new movies come out. But even though I have been so careful, there was just no way to avoid Terminator Genisys spoilers. Even websites who thought they were being clever were just plainly posting spoilers by having an vague but still obvious article title combined with a picture that just spoils everything. I would be more angry, but this is the only movie it has happened to so far on this scale, and I don't really care about this one that much. Still annoying though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2015, 01:06:52 AM »

This.  All of this.

Yes, spoilers are getting more and more difficult to avoid, but man, let me tell you, if you *can* avoid them as much as possible you will be floored when you're actually seeing it.

You know, I somehow managed to avoid the spoiler, but I still wasn't floored by the reveal.  There was so much tension and weirdness about John being there, and the suspicion that he wasn't John, but was a T1000 or something immitating John.  That tension and suspicion did not go away.  So when it was revealed that he actually IS a machine, but was also John, wasn't a big stretch.  Not that it wasn't cool.  But it wasn't as shocking to me as I think it was supposed to be.

Anyhow, good movie.

As far as the Terminator universe in general, I cannot speak highly enough of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.  Next to T1 and T2, it is better than anything in the entire franchise.  SO mad it got canceled after season 2, but there is still really a lot to enjoy about it.  I love how season 2 seems to have all of these random plotlines that really don't seem to have anything to do with one another, and then in the finally, they all suddenly come together (including long-forgotten ones), and you find out that nothing was quite as it appeared leading up to that point.  Brilliantly done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2015, 01:34:26 AM »
I really liked Jason Clarke. I thought he bought a cool weirdness to the role of John Connor.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2015, 04:27:41 AM »
Agree with Bosk about the Sarah Connor Chronicles.  That was a great show.  I have a vague recollection of it.  Might have to go see if it's on Netflix or somewhere online.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »
I watched Genysis for the second time last night. I don't need to ever watch it again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »
I like the whole intro. It was good. Once they started going back to 1984 it was bad.

But i'll always like Arnie.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
I did like the 1984 stuff. It was cool seeing those scenes recreated, but aside from Arnold, it was a complete miscast. Jai Courtney is a charisma vacuum, and Emillia Clarke is not a convincing Sarah Connor. I couldn't help but compare Michael Beihn's performance to Courtney's, but the latter lacked conviction, emotion, passion. Everything Beihn had. You believed and cared for Beihn's Reese. Jai's was a whiney brat who treated the machines like pesky flies, and not killer robots, while spouting one liners.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »
I did like the 1984 stuff. It was cool seeing those scenes recreated, but aside from Arnold, it was a complete miscast. Jai Courtney is a charisma vacuum.

Oh totally. He was a big flatline in Die Hard 5 too.

The guy who played Kevin Flynn's son in Tron 2 is a much better actor.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
Die Hard 5... what a steaming pile.

I actually thought he was pretty good in the Divergent movies. Maybe he's just better at playing bad guys.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2016, 12:08:58 PM »
When My bro and I lived close to each other in England - we would regularly go and see movies in a cheap cinema that we knew would be terrible just for the fun of it like MST3K

We saw Total Recall 2012 which was terrible.

Die Hard 5 which was awful

and Robocop 2014 - which we both actually really enjoyed.

Also we went to see Man of Steel - which I hated and he loved. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
I wanted to like genysis, but courtney destroyed everything. Growing up I always admired Reese as someone who was cool, strong and somewhat damaged. What a fascinating character. Courtney had NONE of that. There aint no emotional scars or heartache in that air head. I can not even watch genysis anymore because of him.

At the end of the day, T1 and T2 are life changing experiences. Everything else after that, I try my best to ignore.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »
The original Kyle Reese would never be bickering with Sarah Connor or arguing with the Terminator.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »
Yeah they really miscast several actors in Genysis. I like Emilia Clarke and she did look like Linda Hamilton in a few scenes, but it didn't fit. But even worse was Jai Courtney. Wish they got someone closer to Michael Biehn, body-wise. He looked like the opposite of Arnold, this thin guy who didn't look military at all, but Jai Courtney was too much "buff military dude".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
I actually liked Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor, especially as her character was different due to the timeline, but I strongly agree there was serious miscasting for the other roles. Jai Courtney didn't have the personality or look for that role, and John Connor was an awful choice. That was perhaps my biggest gripe with the movie, but I otherwise still really like it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »
For anyone else who is assburgers about Terminator, here goes JC and tim miller (director of deadpool) talking about the new terminator that is being made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-O7CVnqA0

Arnnie is back as well as linda hamilton. rise of the machines, salvation and genysys are being erased from cannon and Terminator 3 shall pick up 30 years after T2

I can't wait to see what they come up with

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
For anyone else who is assburgers about Terminator, here goes JC and tim miller (director of deadpool) talking about the new terminator that is being made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-O7CVnqA0

Arnnie is back as well as linda hamilton. rise of the machines, salvation and genysys are being erased from cannon and Terminator 3 shall pick up 30 years after T2

I can't wait to see what they come up with

I can't read your post without having South Park flashing through my mind  :lol

Really cool video, by the way. I'm glad to see Linda coming back.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
First set photos of Linda Hamilton back as sarah conner for the next terminator

There's a good chance this next one will suck, but I am holding out hope.